*update* removed navigation and rewired automatic climate control

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Virginia_DC
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

I have an idea where my problem might be and I wanted any input from the board. I'm now thinking that the plugs that go directly into the back of my Nav unit are not the plugs that I've identified as M104 and M105 on the service manual? Is there a different control box somewhere behind or under all this mess and it is the connectors that plug into that box that I should be looking for to mark pins and make connections?

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but if your Pathfinder came with navigation it has a climate control box mounted below/behind the nav unit. You may need to dig it out from under the wires. If you remove the nav unit, you'll need to replace the existing climate control box with a dash-mounted one from a non-nav Pathfinder.

The connectors from the Pathfinder that plug into the nav version of the climate control do not fit into the non-nav/dash mounted climate control box. So you need to wire the 2 plugs for the non-nav climate control to your existing wiring.

Here's a picture of the with-nav climate control that I removed from my 2001 Pathfinder:

Virginia_DC

Thanks sroberts for the info. I was assuming the connectors at the back of the NAV unit were the ones I needed to number and and splice into the non nav control unit but since they didn't match up I was beginning to think there was another control box somewhere which you confirmed. I'll be getting back to this project soon and let you know how it ended up.

PS I went all the way back through these posts and see clearly that the info you just gave me was available in one of your earlier posts!

Virginia_DC

Finished this job today. Took about two hours and was frustrating at times but the non-nav controller is in and works perfectly. I had also taken the stereo and 6 CD changer from the junkyard so I just changed everything out. All I need is a bezel from a non-nav with similar features and I'm set. Thanks to all for the help.

ddwebb
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4.

Nis Pathfinder 2001. Nav w/ climate control on top. Bose stereo at bottom. Wood like panel look.
Got this car about 6mos ago. Bottom btn was missing at that time. Use paperclip to change. Now all btns are missing and it is on defrost/feet, manual. Warmer weather soon to come.
I have seen lots of help here but it is all over the place.
I have taken car radios out and replaced but that was many many years ago.
So questions:
1.) is there instruction as to how to remove the unit. I assume it is called the bezel.
2.) my clock has stopped working. so have to replace or fix that. Digital it is or was.
3.) what part numbers or how to search eBay or the internet for non-Nav System and/or Climate Control.
4.) from some pictures, i see the new or replaced Climate Control but the radio is no longer there.
5.) on eBay i see a climate control with round knobs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-2003- ... pw&vxp=mtr
6.) what kind of Nav can be used to replace?
7.) I have seen the radio replaced but want to keep mine as it runs just great.

So where to go from here? Some very much guidance please.
thanks all for your awesome help

ddwebb

side note to my long post.

:confused:
In the window is a wired antenna and on the passenger side, fender is an external antenna.
Is the window antenna for the Nav and the fender antenna for the Bose radio?
thx

sroberts

The climate control you linked is a manual control. You probably want an auto control like this one on ebay.

I have not seen a Nav compatibility list and your options are somewhat limited because there is not enough depth to accommodate most full-size units with dvd. The Parrot Asteroid may be a good candidate. I am using a Nexus 7 which is great in some ways and poor in others. I miss the volume knob.

You are correct that the in-windshield antenna is for the Nav.

To remove the bezel you need to remove the clock and two vents by inserting something thin and stiff around it to depress its clips and then coax it out. Be careful as the plastic is likely brittle. The bezel has 2 screws on top, start there and it should be easy enough to get the rest.

ddwebb

Thanks sroberts.
Thanks on the antenna. So would have to keep the windshield with antenna in it. Just have to replace the window now as it is cracked and chipped.
Thanks on the link to the type of climate control I should be looking for, That one you have does not have wire clips that I can see so it would be pretty difficult to connect to my system.
In my car, I have the control for 4x4 at bottom left, middle is swithes for warming seat and right is the cigarette lighter where I connect a line for charging my fone.
So would have to find 2 bezels? One for the vents and clock if I can find one where the clock works and then the main bezel with as much as I can get with all the devices already in it.
thx

sroberts

ddwebb: Your current bezel is designed for a double-DIN Nav+Climate and a single-DIN stereo. The common approach on this thread is to convert it to a double-DIN Nav+Stereo and signle-DIN climate control. To do so you need to expand the opening designed for the stereo to make it large enough to accommodate the climate control.

I used zip ties to strap my climate control onto the bezel. I do not have a photo of the back but here's what it looked like from the front when I was finished:

Of course you also have the option to find a bezel from a Pathfinder without Nav and use your single-DIN stereo. With this approach there's no double-din NAV, but then there's no hassle of adjusting for fit either.

About the windshield antenna - It is likely that your new Nav would not use it anyway.

ddwebb

Thank you for you info.
Dumb question:
convert it to a double-DIN Nav+Stereo and signle-DIN climate control
What the heck is 'DIN'? double-Din and Single-DIN?
I am assuming it relates to having the Nav-Stero as one unit, so then i would NOT need my Bose stereo,
Then where my current stereo is, i would replace it with the Climate Control? So what is Single-DIN in regards to the stereo?

I like all that so i would NOT need to find a new Bezel as then i can use my existing but may have to modify it a little for the new/used climate control.
Then where my useless Nav/climate control is, i would replace with a new/used Nav with Stereo.
Then last piece is to find a new Bezel with a working clock or find a new digital clock that is same and fits in my normal spot.
sound like i am on the right track?
if so, then the search starts.
thx

ddwebb

Looking for these double din nav-stero i see prices ranging from $100 to $2000.
So looking at this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Core-Andro ... X9&vxp=mtr
what is wrong with this? this seems like a fit, right?
From what i have read, I need something in the 7" range for the Nav/Stereo. Right?

ddwebb

Upload picture of my NAV and Radio configuration.
Nav w/ Climate Control on top
Bose radio at middle
4x4 control bottom left
seat warmer switches in bottom middle position
cigarette lighter in bottom right position
Clock at top was digital and no longer working

[img][IMG]http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p48 ... vs9cj9.jpg[/img][/img]

sroberts

ddwebb: The unit you listed could work although it is likely too deep. It looks like they used the housing from a unit designed to hold a CD/DVD. There are a lot of chinese android head units and folks have had varying luck with them. It may be worth paying more to purchase from a place that allows returns (like Amazon).

Be sure to read this entire thread carefully before you jump in to the project. There are several areas that are not trivial and in total it is an expensive conversion. Some of the key areas are:
- find a Nav+Stereo unit that fits - almost all units that support CD/DVD will be too deep
- purchase a steering wheel control adapter to allow your steering wheel controls to work with the new stereo
- purchase an audio adapter to adapt the new stereo to the existing amp
- purchase a non-Nav Pathfinder auto climate control *with* wiring harness
- wire the non-Nav wiring harness to your Pathfinder's (with-Nav) wiring harness. This step is somewhat complex and tedious.
- modify the opening in your bezel to fit the climate control; not easy to do without breaking the bezel
- fashion a method to secure the climate control to the bezel.

ddwebb

Why would I need a new 'wiring harness' if from what I read I am pulling the not good nav and radio and replacing it with a new Nav/radio and climate control? From what I have read is that I will be splicing into the existing wires and adding the new items.
I am almost at the point of pulling my Nav/Climate Control and just adding the new/used climate control in the open space. Then when $$ is avail, I can add the new Nav/Radio system that will work.
Basically piecing it over time.

sroberts

The with-nav and without-nav climate controls are not interchangeable - they use different connectors. To use a without-nav climate control in a Nav equipped Pathfinder you will need to find a without-nav climate control that includes the wiring connectors and enough length of wire to splice into the existing (with-nav) wiring harness. Your end result should look similar to this photo from earlier in the thread:

ddwebb

Just noticed the city you are from. Peachtree. I use to live in Cumming. Now south of Denver, CO.
I had thought i could just get the climate control now and get that up and running and when i can deal with the rest. I will keep my Bezel where my Nav/climate control is at the top and Bose radio at the bottom.
My plan is to move the radio to the top portion after moving out the Nav/climate control. Somehow secure it and then put the new/used climate control where the radio is now.
Now to find the climate control with wiring connectors..
Thanks for the help.
After that find an upper Bezel with clock that works or even just the clock. I like the round clock that doesnt look like it is digital.

PathfinderSilv02
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Darkstonian wrote:Hey, all you guys that have done this, do any of you still have the black box from the navi climate control. Mines crapped out, and I'm desperately looking for one. Got as close as to a junkyard saying they had one for $40, but it actually was already gone when I got there, and I'm freezing in Jersey...
I have the same question, does anyone have their black box left over that they do not need anymore? Mine is not functioning properly and AC would really help now until I can find the correct wire harnesses to complete the conversion to get rid of the old navigation.

Thanks

gporter
Car: 2002 pathfinder

PathfinderSilv02 wrote:
Darkstonian wrote:Hey, all you guys that have done this, do any of you still have the black box from the navi climate control. Mines crapped out, and I'm desperately looking for one. Got as close as to a junkyard saying they had one for $40, but it actually was already gone when I got there, and I'm freezing in Jersey...
I have the same question, does anyone have their black box left over that they do not need anymore? Mine is not functioning properly and AC would really help now until I can find the correct wire harnesses to complete the conversion to get rid of the old navigation.

Thanks
I just did this project on my 02 last weekend - shoot me a message if you want my black box. First offer gets it.

2002QX4PA
Car: Infiniti QX4 Soon Without Navigation

On Infiniti QX4, am attempting to replace the junk Navigation unit with the configuration used in the Non-Nav.

The issue is matching the Climate Control (A.K.A. A/C Amp):

On hand are the wiring diagrams from the HA section of the service manual;
The original wiring harness; and
A partial wiring harness from the replacement unit, connectors and about 12 inches of wire.

Problem:

The wiring on the replacement unit, listed on eBay as from a 2002 QX4, does not match the HA schematic for
non-Nav. For instance, on the top line 1-10, the HA-30 schematic calls for wires at positions 1,2,3,6,9. The connection wiring stub has
line has wires only at 3, 5, 8, 9,10.

Am I missing something basic? Should I ignore this wiring from a salvage QX$> Shouid I start from scratch with prewired connectors for Nissan and follow the diagram>

My wife is sweltering. I need to resolve this expeditiously. HA!

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Happy wife happy life, right? :chuckle: You have this style, correct?

Also, do the pins line up with the diagram if you use a mirror image? That is, pin one is on the right instead of left, etc? I can't recall if the FSM labels things as if you're looking at the harness connector or the plug in the device.

If that doesn't help, can you post pictures of the pins you're looking at and the diagram?

2002QX4PA

After much angst, I have established that the pinout on the A/C control that I purchased is more-than-less reflective of the photos and schematics posts and included in the HA section of the service manual.

The issue remains the legacy wiring from the Nav unit. For one thing, the AMP plugs are 20/20, not 20/16 as shown respectively as M104 and M105. Further, the wiring has only the vaguest relationship with the schematic.

One posting claimed success by merely connecting matching colors from M102 and M103 to the Nav harness. Unless I am wildly color blind, and I am not, there are only one or two matches.

I have a complete dash wiring harness coming from a California yard. That might provide some instruction, but my option now seems to extend my home loan and ask a professional to gut the dash.

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

The two connectors you posted the picture look like they're from the back of the actual navigation unit. The gray one is M118 and the white one is M117. M104 and M105 are connected to the black A/C auto amp (pictured by sroberts above). It can be found behind the stereo here:

You'll still need some of the wires from M117 and M118. EL-522 has some good details on what each of those wires do.

I highly recommend you label each wire with what connector it came from and the position it was in before you start cutting (M118-22, for example). The last thing you want is to end up with a handful of wires not knowing what they do.

I hear your frustration and totally get it. Take some consolation in the fact that it's not a simple job until you've done it once so it'll take some time to finish. Once you wrap your head around how everything's laid out it gets a lot easier.

2002QX4PA

OK. I found the mystery black box (AC Amp) and its 16/20 PIN connectors. The wires disappear deep into the bowels of the dash.

The discarded Nav Unit had two 20 PIN connectors. The wiring harness also descents into the dash. Each wire, except for those for the window defrost, now has a male connectors.

The salvage Climate Control display has 16/20 PIN connectors. It came with AMP plugs and short wires, which now have insulated individual female connectors.

Lots of wires. How do they interconnect?

Does the Non-Nav display connect directly to the AC Amp, with the old wiring to the NAV unit redundant?

Thanks

sroberts

If you've removed your navigation system you no longer need that "mystery black box", as the one you picked up from salvage serves the same purpose, but adds the buttons that were emulated on the nav uit.

Your challenge now is to take the wiring that plugs into the "with navigation climate control/mystery black box", and splice that into the plugs that came with your salvage climate control. The wiring colors should pretty much match up between the two. If you scroll back to page 4 of this thread you'll find a couple messages that 01Path and I traded when he was tackling the same challenge.

If I recall correctly, the plugs that went to the nav unit will no longer be used and do not need to be adapted to anything.

2002QX4PA

That would solve EVERYTHING.

I will face tomorrow with renewed optimism.

Thanks.....

ddwebb

Question for all you bright people. I have not been luck enough to find an automatic climate control so i am seeking the manual control. I dont have a problem with that but wanted to ask. Has anybody installed that version?
i want to remove my crappy Nav system and replace with this manual control.
Any issues doing so?
I can get the extra wiring, about 6 inches long, and plug on back of control.
Thoughts please.

ddwebb

Question for all you bright people. I have not been luck enough to find an automatic climate control so i am seeking the manual control. I dont have a problem with that but wanted to ask. Has anybody installed that version?
i want to remove my crappy Nav system and replace with this manual control.
Any issues doing so?
I can get the extra wiring, about 6 inches long, and plug on back of control.
Thoughts please.

LI QX4

Hi All -

I just bought a used 2002 QX4. It's in pretty good shape, but I don't love the Nav/AC or the stereo;
plus, I'd like to add bluetooth, Sirius/XM, HD Radio, etc...

I'm considering undertaking the task that some of you have already done...
getting an HVAC to put into the current Bose/Single-Din Stereo Slot,
and then buying a Double-Din Stereo to put into the top slot...

I would probably hire a professional to do the installation,
but before I bother getting too deeply into this,
I'm trying to understand what needs to be done,
and what results are actually possible...

My questions are:
1 - Several of you have already mentioned that the lower slot would need to be modified
to accommodate the height of the HVAC unit...
What modification(s) are necessary? And how would they be done?
Is it simply a matter of filing down part of the opening to allow sufficient space?
Help!!!

2 - Are there double-din units that will fit into the top slot?

On a related topic ...

If I don't want to bother with this complicated overhaul...
I would consider a much more simple solution...
i.e., simply buying a single-din replacement stereo
and putting that into the current Bose Stereo slot,
but ... even when I looked into that ...
Crutchfield (and others) have told me that that wouldn't work
(or at least wouldn't be simple)
because the QX4 Nav controls the AC,
and if I were to install an after-market stereo,
somehow that would affect the HVAC.

I've heard various things about the 2nd option
(simply installing an after-market single-din stereo
and keeping the factory nav intact), including ...
1 - It should work fine...
2 - 1 will/might lose ALL ability to use my HVAC;
3 - I will/might lose the nav screen, but would still be able to use the HVAC controls
(but wouldn't be able to SEE the settings, as they are adjusted).
4 - I will/might lose the audio from my HVAC,
but still be able to see the screen and use the touch controls on it.

So, regarding the 2nd/simple option
of (simply installing an after-market single-din stereo
and keeping the factory nav intact)...
I'm wondering whether the negative info I've received is just rumor and innuendo,
or if I really would be creating a nightmare by opening this can of worms.

Thanks!!!

sroberts

ddwebb wrote:Question for all you bright people. I have not been luck enough to find an automatic climate control
They are pretty easy to find without the wiring harness but you really need the harness. You might try contacting the sellers and ask if they can cut the harness and include it.
Last edited by sroberts on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sroberts

LI QX4: I've not tried it but I believe your 2nd option would work, that is, replacing stock with a single-din radio. You will need to get an adapter for the amp as well as a steering wheel control. But the chief problem with this option is one that has caused most of us to take on this project: the control buttons will start to break on your NAV unit and you'll have no good way to control the climate. You'll end up with small pokers to insert into the holes where the buttons were, and it will look trashy.

For option 1, you'll likely need a unit that does not have CD/DVD, affording it less depth. I am also looking for something. I have a Nexus 7 mounted where my NAV used to be, and it works pretty good with a couple of drawbacks. I've been eyeing this Android unit, https://www.amazon.com/Android-Lollipop ... rds=joying. Once they have a 2gb version available I may get it. I initially installed a Clarion 2-Din unit that was 162mm deep, and it just barely fit. There is a bar that limits the depth on the top of a 2-din unit - be sure to account for the space required for connections.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”