Understanding codes: what does SR20 mean?

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
mistermarknl
Car: travel, reading, bicycling, motorcycling

Hi all,

I've learnt a lot about codes since buying my 94 vert. I know my chassis code is S13. Good. I know my engine code is KA24DE. Good.

But I see people referring to SR20....

Can anybody explain to me what the SR20 codes mean? Like SR20DET for instance?

Thanks and apologies in advance for this newbie type question...

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

it's a good question..

You've got the chassis code figured out.. Each Nissan chassis gets a special code.. a letter and a two digit number.. R32, S14, Y33, G50, etc.. The 'vert that we all own is the S13 chassis.

As for engines, each engine Nissan makes gets a two letter code, followed by two number, then at least one more letter..

SR20DET

SR is the code for that engine block. Don't believe anybody who tells you that the letters actually stand for anything.. SR= Street Race, RB = Race Bread... it's all rumor and theory.. but not true.

20 is the engine displacement. RB26 is 2.6Liters, SR20 is 2.0 Liters, VH45 is 4.5 Liters.. etc..

D = dual overhead cam I believe.

E = electronic fuel injection

T = turbo

RB26dett = RB block, 2.6 liter, dual over head cam, electronic fuel injected, TWIN turbo.

KA24e = KA block, 2.4 liter, electronic fuel injected.. NO d = single overhead cam.

Here's the list of Nissan engines.. http://www.nicoclub.com/Greg/enginemodeltable.html

That's my understanding at least.... I'm still not 100% certain on the E spot in the code.. There are a few strange ones.. a couple engines have an "i" or an "S".. . not sure about those...Also.. there is an SR20VE engine that I know has some an infinitely variable cam setup.. so it must mean "variable dual cam"... ???

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

Eikon wrote:Here's the list of Nissan engines.. http://www.nicoclub.com/Greg/enginemodeltable.html
That table looks like it's US engines only. No CA18DET, SR20DET, RB series, etc.

From Wikipedia:D DOHC, Variable Valve Timing, or Direct InjectionE Electronic Fuel InjectionI Throttle Body Fuel InjectionS Electronic Controlled CarburetorR SuperchargedT Turbocharged - this can also stand for Twin CarburetorTT Twin-TurbochargedV Variable Valve Timing with Lift

^ This table seems to apply to the engine code suffix only
Modified by ishkabibble at 9:39 AM 4/6/2007

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

good stuff ish!

NaXu
Car: 240SX Vert, 200SX SE-R

Here's also some info about the meaning of the letters (http://www.nicoclub.com/site/f...shtml) as well as the engine catalogue for different Nissan models (http://www.nicoclub.com/site/f...shtml).

edit: for some reason the link doesn't work, but it changes the freshalloy to nicoclub.com, but you can get the right url by changing it.

Modified by NaXu at 7:25 AM 4/6/2007
Modified by NaXu at 7:27 AM 4/6/2007

srphoenix
Car: 08 Mitsu Evolution X

I hear the letters for the engines can all be found in the periodic table and Nissan just got lazy and named them after that.

wirelessalpha
Car: 93 SR Vert, 96 318ti, 06 Altima

also my 2 cents:

For future reference, you can typically apply this same logic (engine coding scheme) to other cars...for example...

B18C5B18C1B18BB18A

The above are engine codes for a honda B series motor.

SR20DESR20DET

t for turbo, SR series motors

M44M42

BMW 3 Series motors...

4G644G63

Mitsu motors...

...etc.

Understanding code schemes help alot...especially when considering a new venture in engine swapping...etc. Most of time, if the engine comes from the same family, you have an easier time performing a swap (if you want to go that route) vs using an engine from an entirely different family line.

Also, in regards to chassis codes - get used to speaking like this. I dunno, but for some reason or another - it's the preferred method for referring to cars.

This also helps in deciphering on whether or not its a good idea for a swap candidate. For example: I've never done a Prelude VTEC Motor swap (H22A) into a Honda Odyssey Minivan before. However, I do know that the Odyssey shares the same chassis framework as the accord as well as an F22A motor. Also, I know the H22A motor will swap fine into an Accord...thus, it's probably easier to fit a H22A motor into an Odyssey than into a Dodge Neon. Get it?

Anyways...nowadays...even I forget to mention cars by name anymore....the chassis and engine code is a better combination for a unique identifier in this case...

For those that are in the know, it makes communication even clearer...

wirelessalpha

pop quiz while you are at it:

"In the past, Chi used to own a EG6 with a B18C swap. I took it from a DC2 that my buddy used to own. He had it in a EK and decided to trade it for an AP1 with 9k Rev. He loves that car. Later I got an s13 Vert with a BlackTop SR20. I use this as my drift car.My daily driver is an e36 with a m44. In HS, I used to drive a 4G64 powered slushbox 2nd Gen DSM."

Decipher that!

twoeightythreez
Car: 1994 G50; 1995 Caprice wagon; 1969 Buick sportwagon

I'll give it the ol' college try......"In the past, Chi used to own a EG6 (96 civic?) with a B18C (1.8L Bseries) swap. I took it from a DC2 (integra) that my buddy used to own. He had it in a EK (next gen civic?) and decided to trade it for an AP1 (S2000)with 9k Rev. He loves that car. Later I got an s13 Vert with a BlackTop (late) SR20. I use this as my drift car.My daily driver is an e36 (3-series) with a m44. In HS, I used to drive a 4G64 (2.4L) powered slushbox (RS or GS model) 2nd Gen DSM(so it was the Eagle variant, otherwise you would have said "eclipse")."

How many did I get wrong???Oh yes, on the code thingys, you guys are right, but there are a few exceptions.

FJ20 engines were DOHC but they were still called FJ20ET's....the S20 engine in the 432Z and the skyline GT-R was known simply as an "S20", not an "S20D" and so on.

But those engines are uber rare now and uber expensive so nobody's swapping them in anytime soon.

For a neat read, check out some classic datsun websites...I never knew Nissan had so many engines in it's past!

wirelessalpha

close.

EG6 = Civic Hatch, 92-95 model with B16 motor. We never got a hatch with a B16 in america, so this statement is not entirely true. However,

my B18C motor (specifically, refers to a integra GSR motor, 170hp) made up for it. If i said C5, then that would mean it's from a Type R.

DC2 = yes integra, but specifcally, a 94-01 integra

EK = next gen after EG. So, you had it right, just wrong gen. 96-00

AP1 - yes s2k, but more specifically, a 1st gen s2k - not the newer, lower rev AP2's.

E36 - yes 3 series, specifically a 91-99 model. The M44 tells you that its a 1.8 or 1.9 liter motor. Mine is a 1.9.

4G64 - sohc, bastard motor. Not the favorite 4g63 you see in turbo dsm's and evo's. Mine was a second gen ECLIPSE (sorry) convertible auto (slushbox). Only this model got the 4g64. Later, mitsu put the same POS motor in the 3rd gen, but mounted in reverse setup. slow.....

ah this was a fun exercise! See mistermarknl, that's why engine codes and chassis matter....so specific.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”