UK Onboard Drifting + Telemetry/Drift Angle - Technique?

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
MaxxUK
Car: Proton Impiaqn but I get to drive allsorts, inc a 600bhp Nissan Skyline GTR32

I've been a member on here for some time but only an occasional visitor and even less frequent poster but one thing I do use this for is the excellent and detailed description of Drifting Techniques. I've re read that and the 'rules' and it seems like this is the place to post my video and explanation.

I'm not a Drifter as such, I'm a circuit racer and driver-coach, like many enthusiastic drivers I like to 'get the tail out' and i've used Drift Practice days in the past as part of my driver training to teach over the limit car control. I should say before carrying on i'm in the UK so this isn't promotion, just explaining where I'm coming from.

I do have the drudge job of providing passenger rides for a track driving experience company which I do in a V8 Touring car and they are, to all intents and purposes, drift rides.

I enjoy the sport and the people. I'm also big into technology and use data logging a lot. So, the other day I combined the 2, I did a drift practice day at a local venue, rented am old E36 BMW with a 2.8 engine and welded diff and fitted the GoPro and data-logger. The one I have has a 'gyro' option which measures yaw, pitch and roll and using this and GPS data it can work out drift angle. I've not see any other videos of drift cars showing drift angle (if you have would appreciate a link).

Anyway, thats not the main reason I'm posting. I've never kicked a clutch or tugged on a handbrake/wand/parking brake so I use exclusively what might be called 'braking drifts' or even in some cases 'feint drifts' in reality I tend to refer to it as 'dynamic drifting' as thats a term I heard ages ago and it's sorta stuck. It's essentially weight shift drifting and very reliant on speed and quite a subtle feel for the brakes and for the grip levels front to back, left to right.

Anyway, I thought readers here might like to see a compilation video I did.

It's a shame I didn't take my multicam kit as I often use this on circuit to also capture the foot movement, there are many vids like this on my channel and I might try and do this if I do another drift day.

Malcolm

PS. This was the car.

MaxxUK
Car: Proton Impiaqn but I get to drive allsorts, inc a 600bhp Nissan Skyline GTR32

Oh, seems this is my first post here, could have sworn I posted about a Nissan GTR32 I drove for a while. Anyway, talking of R32s, there's a chase sequence towards the end of the above video where I follow a gorgeous one, pristine interior/nice a** :)

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”