Turbo water return line

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

jaredperry wrote:What's crazy is that I don't have a 5/8" port on #2

What would really happen if I had lines run from #3 into the turbo then out the turbo to the 3/8" bspt fitting to the lower rear of the motor. I don't understand why my water neck doesn't have the 5/8" nipple.
It's not crazy. That's normal. You have a non-oil cooler engine. Most of the CA's in Japan didn't have an oil cooler (the automatics might have). All of the European CA's did have oil coolers. That nipple is there for the oil cooler connection. If you look at #1, you'll also notice that it has 2 ports on it, and yours probably only has 1. The port sticking straight out is where the coolant comes out of the block and goes to the cooler, and the small port on #2 is where it comes out of the cooler and goes back into the circulation system.

jaredperry
Car: '69 510

So what s the verdict? Will it cool and not harm both the turbo and motor if I hook a 5/8" hose in the following order? I think eventually the water will flow but im not sure how effieciently. Please, if there are suggestions / alternatives that would yeild a better result please suggest so.

#2 Nipple (On intake mani) > Turbo > CHRA > Turbo outlet > Lower exhaust side 3/8" Inlet

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

That will work fine, though I don't understand why you wouldn't use the actual coolant outlet that's on the exhaust side of the block that's there to supply water cooling for the turbo.

jaredperry
Car: '69 510

I checked my spare block and both of the holes access the same coolant galley.

The reasoning why I did that is because I revesed my exhaust manifold to accomidate the 20G turbo in my 510. The lower 3/8" outlet/inlet on the block allows the hose to be less prone to heat exposure, easy access to the fitting, and a smooth line of passage.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”