Trump

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

McCain gives Trump another middle finger

McCain backs bill to block transgender troops ban

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/ ... troops-ban

"Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) is backing a bipartisan bill that would block President Trump’s ban on transgender people serving in the military.

“When less than one percent of Americans are volunteering to join the military, we should welcome all those who are willing and able to serve our country,” McCain said in a statement.

“Any member of the military who meets the medical and readiness standards should be allowed to serve — including those who are transgender," he said.

This is the latest show of resistance by McCain, who has frequently been a thorn in Trump's side. Most dramatically, McCain cast the deciding vote in July to kill the Senate's attempt at repealing Obamacare. As a Russia hawk, he's also blasted Trump's attempted rapprochement with Moscow, and as Armed Service chairman, has frequently criticized Trump for requesting lower-than-expected defense spending and taking months to develop an Afghanistan strategy.

McCain, committee ranking member Jack Reed (D-R.I.), committee member Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) introduced the bill as stand-alone legislation on Friday."

Telcoman

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Bubba1 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:21 am
I wouldn't characterize him necessarily as a classic rascist, but he is a classic narcissist. If you read up on the symptoms of narcissism, you won't be surprised by most of the controversial things he says.

Soon,’ ‘Very Soon,’ ‘Eventually’: A Detailed
List of Things Trump Said Would Happen

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ctionfront

President Trump regularly says that his policy goals – an Obamacare repeal, an infrastructure bill, an overhaul of the tax code, a border wall, among others – will happen “soon,” “very soon,” “very, very soon,” “in the coming weeks” or even “immediately.”

This tendency is perhaps most prominent in Mr. Trump’s descriptions of Republicans’ efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare. Those efforts officially failed, for now, on Tuesday.

Below, in chronological order, is how Mr. Trump has described what would happen to Obamacare since his election:
Statements about repealing and replacing Obamacare
We're going to be submitting a health care plan as soon as our secretary's approved8 months ago
We’ll be filing a plan to repeal and replace Obamacare as our secretary is approved and gets into the office8 months ago
The Affordable Care Act will be history soon8 months ago
Less expensive and really great health care within a year7 months ago
Obamacare will be repealed very soon7 months ago
A health care plan will be released fairly soon7 months ago
A health care reform plan will be coming out soon7 months ago
Health care reform will get taken care of ideally soon6 months ago
Obamacare will fold very, very soon if something isn't done6 months ago
Obamacare will cease to exist at some point in the near future6 months ago
Obamacare will explode soon6 months ago
Democrats will make a deal on health care as soon as Obamacare folds6 months ago
Health care reform is going to happen at some point5 months ago
A good chance of getting health care reform next week or shortly thereafter5 months ago
Health care in the U.S. will be great soon5 months ago
An Obamacare replacement bill as soon as we can do it3 months ago
A great answer on health care reform soon3 months ago
Health care reform that reduces premiums 60 to 70 percent very soon2 months ago
The Senate is going to be forced to make a deal on Obamacare repeal at some point12 days ago
We’re going to repeal and replace Obamacare eventually10 days ago
We will win on health care reform eventually8 days ago
Eventually, we’ll win on health care reform, whether it’s now or later8 days ago

The repetition of these phrases may be a verbal tic, or part of the branding and salesmanship that is associated with the Trump name. But it also reflects a sense of urgency – or impatience, depending on your view – that has become central to the tensions between Trump and Republican leaders in Congress.

Mr. Trump has mocked congressional Republicans as incompetent do-nothings. They have responded that he is simply impatient. “I think he had excessive expectations about how quickly things happen in the democratic process,” Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, said after Republicans’ previous failure to repeal the law.

Using a website called Factbase, we reviewed nearly all the president’s remarks since his election, searching for references to specific time frames, like “soon” or “very soon” (a full list of such words is at the bottom of this article). Factbase transcribes, sorts and tags nearly every public statement made by President Trump – spanning official White House releases, speeches, interviews and even tweets.

Like most politicians, the president makes plenty of claims that are imprecise, mundane or not easily checkable. But many claims were very specific. Among more than 100 specific policy predictions Mr. Trump said would happen soon, we found that at least 75 percent of the time, they did not – or had not, as of this writing.

These kinds of promises occur across a broad range of topics and policies. For example, Mr. Trump has said his administration was “drawing documents now” to declare the opioid crisis a national emergency. Nearly seven weeks later, the paperwork has not been filed.

Here is how he has described the timing of several other policy goals since his election:
Statements about a border wall with Mexico
Planning is starting on the wall immediately8 months ago
Starting negotiations with Mexico about who will pay for the wall relatively soon8 months ago
Construction begins on the wall as soon as we can; as soon as we can physically do it8 months ago
We’re going to start building the wall very soon7 months ago
We will start building the wall soon, very soon7 months ago
We’re going to have a wall ahead of schedule7 months ago
Beginning construction of a great, great wall soon7 months ago
The wall is way ahead of schedule6 months ago
The wall will get built soon5 months ago
The wall will be brand new eventually18 days ago
The wall will come later18 days ago
The wall will happen very soon18 days ago
We’re going to have the final choices about the border wall done soon10 days ago
Statements about tax reform
We’re going to be doing tax policies very soon8 months ago
We’re going to have tax reform at some point very soon5 months ago
We’re going to be announcing a tax plan very soon5 months ago
We’re going to be submitting a tax bill in the very near future2 months ago
We’re going to go get into great detail on tax reform over the next two weeks26 days ago
Statements about an infrastructure bill, including large-scale projects
We’ll have the electrical grid problem solved relatively soon8 months ago
Announcing very, very big infrastructure projects soon6 months ago
Announcing a signature infrastructure project beyond roads and bridges very soon6 months ago
A very big infrastructure plan is going to come soon6 months ago
An infrastructure plan will come a hundred percent very soon5 months ago
We’ll be making big investments in repairing our badly depleted infrastructure soon5 months ago
The administration will file an infrastructure plan over the next two or three weeks, maybe sooner5 months ago
We’ll be submitting an infrastructure bill in the not-very-distant future2 months ago
A commitment to rebuilding the depleted infrastructure of the United States very soon2 months ago
A sample of other notable statements
Very interesting items will come to the forefront about alleged wiretapping of Trump Tower over the next two weeks6 months ago
He will release his tax returns at some point4 months ago
MS-13 will be gone from America's streets very soon4 months ago
The North Korean problem will be solved at some point4 months ago
He will announce whether there are tapes of his conversations with James Comey in the Oval Office maybe sometime in the very near future3 months ago
Raqqa and Mosul will be liberated soon2 months ago
ISIS will be wiped out soon2 months ago
The U.S. will decide whether it will stay in the Iran nuclear deal very soon14 days ago

Most of these claims did not materialize. Obamacare has not been repealed; Mr. Trump has not released his taxes; no infrastructure bill has been introduced; tensions with North Korea have only escalated.

Not all Mr. Trump’s promises were about specific policies or legislation.
A sample of assorted other promises
We have to take care of the American people immediately8 months ago
The menace of rising crime and the threat of deadly terror will get better very soon7 months ago
Men and women in uniform will have the latest and most cutting edge systems in their arsenal very, very soon7 months ago
The U.S. Navy will have the finest equipment in the world soon7 months ago
American workers will be respected again soon6 months ago
America will be back soon6 months ago
The U.S. will be stronger than it has ever been soon6 months ago
We’re going to be doing some trade deals as soon as we get the health care finished6 months ago
American workers will have a level playing field very soon5 months ago
Steel companies will be great very soon5 months ago
The New York Times will be online-only pretty soon5 months ago
NATO will be fair to the U.S. soon4 months ago
Crucial legislation will be considered soon3 months ago
You will be saying Merry Christmas again very soon2 months ago
American workers will have the training to lead us into the future immediately1 month ago
Our country will come together as one soon1 month ago

Some of Mr. Trump’s predictions have materialized, though not necessarily in their entirety.
A sample of things Mr. Trump said would happen that actually have happened or are happening
He will have more than 50 million followers on social media accounts soon8 months ago
We’re going to get rid of the Stream Protection Rule (H.J. Res. 38) immediately7 months ago
He may talk with Vladimir Putin at some point5 months ago
We’re going to be making a decision about the Paris Accord over the next two weeks5 months ago
Religious groups will be able to make political messages soon5 months ago
He will make a decision on Afghanistan troop levels very soon1 month ago

On Sunday, Mr. Trump again addressed repealing the health care law. “Eventually, we'll win, whether it’s now or later,” he said. He then moved on to his next agenda item: tax reform.

“My primary focus, I must tell you – and has been from the beginning, as you can imagine – is taxes,” he said.

Analysis based on public statements by Mr. Trump since his election that included the phrases “soon,” “within a year,” “near future,” “a very short period of time,” “drawing documents now,” “within the first 100 days,” “first thing,” “immediately,” “ahead of schedule,” “by the end of the year,” “in the not-very-distant future,” “over the next two or three weeks,” “at some point,” “over the next few years,” “over the next two weeks,” “come later,” “over the coming days and weeks,” “eventually,” “any day now,” “in months” or “not-very-distant future” as recorded by factba.se."

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Your point?

telcoman

srellim234 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:51 am
Your point?
People believing all his bulls#it and he calling all negative criticism of him fake news

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Couldn't you have just said that without copy/pasting entire articles after linking them? sheesh.

telcoman

Bubba1 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:23 pm
Couldn't you have just said that without copy/pasting entire articles after linking them? sheesh.
No!
1- because not everyone can access The New York Times articles without a subscription.
2- some believe what they see on Fox is true

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

And do you honestly think you'll suddenly change a Fox viewer's mind by publishing a literal avalanche of stuff from a source they don't respect? Think about that.

There is no winner for posting as much cr@p as possible. Quality > Quantity. Please put a little more effort into expressing your points concisely instead of cut/pasting large entire articles.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

telco -

1. If we can't access it we'll let you know.
2. Very few of the people you try to preach to believe what they see on Fox is true. If they believe it, there is no quantity of left-leaning publication cut and paste jobs that will change their minds.

However, why can't you just answer direct questions when you are asked and/or admit when you are wrong? I'm still waiting for your proof that Greg is a Rush follower or your apology to him. Is that because you are incapable of thinking for yourself and you're still waiting for me to write to the New York Times in the hopes that they will tell you how to respond?

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

srellim234 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:44 am
telco -

I'm still waiting for your proof that Greg is a Rush follower or your apology to him.
To be fair, I think I've heard Greg attempt to sing "Tom Sawyer" in the past. Oh wait, wrong Rush. Sorry :)

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

i'm sure Howie'll bring up Rex Tillerson this morning as a major issue. Evidently, in a closed door meeting shortly after Trump's politicized non-political Boy Scout speech, NBC reported (citing multiple sources in that meeting) that Rexie called Trump a "moron". Trump immediately accused NBC as being fake news as he does with anything that he finds unflattering to himself. Tillerson said he would not address petty stuff like that, so of course the media immediately interpreted that as a non-denial. I personally think it's much ado about nothing, but I loved Monty Python's John Cleese's response to Trump....

"You'd think he'd be grateful for the upgrade"...

:)

Howie, ^ an example of sharing a point, without cutting/pasting entire articles.... Keep it up and you may join the President in being labelled a "moron".

telcoman

Imagebanner-trump-0103 by

Telcoman

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

So Trump says Bannon lost his mind. In other news, the pot called the kettle black today.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Appears the dumpster fire there got stoked pretty well this week..

telcoman

Bubba1 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 am
Appears the dumpster fire there got stoked pretty well this week..
It sure did!

I can't wait to read this book.

ImageFire and Fury _

Telcoman

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I've read a couple of excerpts. Sounds like an amusing read, but not really that shocking for those in the NY/NJ area that have known and disliked the narcissist-in-chief for decades. I doubt Trump's base will care anyway. He's obviously bluffing (badly) with the threatened lawsuit. If he did sue, he'd end up having to testify under oath, which would open up a huge can of worms for him. He's not that stupid. But book content aside, it must've been a combination of ego and sheer stupidity to let a known fox like wolff lose in the henhouse. wolff had some amazing access. I'm sure the late night comedians are having a field day with the book, but I don't see much else happening as a result.

telcoman

Bubba1 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:03 pm
I've read a couple of excerpts. Sounds like an amusing read, but not really that shocking for those in the NY/NJ area that have known and disliked the narcissist-in-chief for decades. I doubt Trump's base will care anyway. He's obviously bluffing (badly) with the threatened lawsuit. If he did sue, he'd end up having to testify under oath, which would open up a huge can of worms for him. He's not that stupid. But book content aside, it must've been a combination of ego and sheer stupidity to let a known fox like wolff lose in the henhouse. wolff had some amazing access. I'm sure the late night comedians are having a field day with the book, but I don't see much else happening as a result.
ImageFire And Fury 26169470_1809349665765628_1661228608311896671_n by

Telcoman

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

telcoman wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:59 am
Bubba1 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:03 pm
ImageFire And Fury 26169470_1809349665765628_1661228608311896671_n by

Telcoman
True, the Trump supporters will believe what they want, and the same can be said about the Never-Trumpers. The author freely admits that the book contains many outright lies, yet they accept it as gospel.
In his new book — “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House” — author Michael Wolff admits that he has no way of being certain that every part of what he relayed about the Trump White House is absolutely true.

Business Insider pointed out that on the tenth page of the book’s prologue, Wolff “included a note that casts significant doubt on the reliability of the specifics contained in the rest of (the book’s) pages.”

Wolff wrote that many of the sources he interviewed lied to to him, while others contradicted each other. But he indicated that in some of those cases, he included the accounts with the goal of “allowing the reader to judge” the validity of the claims.

“Many of the accounts of what has happened in the Trump White House are in conflict with one another; many, in Trumpian fashion, are baldly untrue,” Wolff wrote. “These conflicts, and that looseness with the truth, if not with reality itself, are an elemental thread of the book.”

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Rogue, The article said he admitted facing conflicting interviews, which is to be expected in a highly politicized setting like the white house. So I'm sure he guessed wrong on some of calls. this is something reporters face daily. But the fact there so many conflicting views by itself suggests dysfunction. And of the more sensational quotes he used, like from Bannon, I don't think any have been disputed yet by Bannon. That said, I'm sure there are errors in the book, but one can't deny it paints a familiar overall portrait of Hair Trump to those that have followed him over the years. (both haters and supporters) Many of Trump's traits portrayed in the book, like uncompromising loyalty he expects, extreme narcissism, ignoring expert advice, the pettiness, the childish taunting, the non-stop lying, have been on display for decades. So to dismiss the book entirely seems wrong. Likewise, accepting that everything in the book is the absolute gospel truth is also wrong. The book is what it is. Everyone is going to interpret their own way, and both sides have already weaponized it to energize their bases. That's why I see little changing because of it.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Just so I'm clear, Hillary rigged the Democrat's primary to gain the nomination, but was defeated in the general election by an unstable idiot? Is that seriously the narrative the Dems are pushing? Their best and brightest was defeated by a simpleton!?! :lolling:

telcoman

Like the Pentagon papers, the American People will decide who in the government is telling the truth.

Read the Transcript of Glenn Simpson's Testimony to Congress

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... cript.html

Telcoman

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Speaking of Trump, evidently our president just passed a milestone. According to the Washington Post, he just uttered his 2000th lie since taking office. That's quite a pace. See attached amusing documentary.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQruDaf7bKs[/youtube]

telcoman

Editorial
Is Mr. Trump Nuts?

By THE EDITORIAL BOARDJAN. 10, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/opin ... -well&_r=0

Telcoman

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Editorial = opinion. "Opinions are like farts and ***holes, everyone has/does them but doesn't mean you have to let it out, because it probably stinks". Jack Buchanan

telcoman

Trump Alarms Lawmakers With Disparaging Words for Haiti and Africa

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/us/p ... -news&_r=0

Telcoman

telcoman

Trump lauded delivery of F-52s to Norway. The planes only exist in 'Call of Duty.'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/tr ... li=BBnbfcL

Hard to tell who is dumber?

Trump or those that voted for him?

Telcoman

telcoman

Thank you Mr. President for now allowing the words "s***" to be used by print and broadcast media. Also "grab em by the p****", "son of a b****". You certainly have demonstrated that you are a s*** president.

ImageIMG_0489 by

Telcoman

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

I'm guessing you've conveniently forgotten about the time President Barack Obama called Libya a “s*** show,” right? And when Obama made the comments, he was blaming David Cameron for turning Libya into a “s*** show.”

Question: If Trump had called those countries "dysfunctional mega-disasters," rather than "s***holes," would that have been better?

telcoman

It certainly would have been much more presidential and not make Trump look as unfit for the presidency as he consistently does.

Telcoman

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Ah, for the good old days when a more "presidential" office holder only had an illicit affair with an intern in the Oval Office, then lied to the public about it.

As I understand it, the only person who says that Trump allegedly made these remarks (which he and 3 other Senators deny) is Senator Durbin, a man known for lying about private Oval Office meetings.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the DNC leadership to announce that they'll be vacationing in Somalia this year.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Rogue - As I understand it the senators are not denying he said it. Two are dancing around it by saying they "don't recall" the President saying it. A convienient way to get around it. Senator Graham has said he confronted the President directly about what he said without confirming or denying the language but something obviously set him off. Even the President is dancing around it. He denies he said it but as is typical of him he will continue to deny it without presenting what he really said. From my perspective this president simply has zero credibility.

Return to “Politics Etc.”