TRUE DIFFERENCES VG30 vs VG33

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
bimrtech
Car: Several

Just wanted to put this information all in one spot.

Big Thanks to mtcookson for letting me know before hand some of the differences. I would not have performed this swap without his advice!

I just performed this swap and found a few more. I just want to clarify a few things for others interested in this swap.

From the bottom up.

The VG30 oil pan will bolt to the VG33 blockThe a VG30 oil pump will bolt on the vg33 block and is needed if running the vg30’s oil pan as the pick up tube is in a different location from the vg33 pump unless you want to fab. the pickup tube.The VG30 crank will work in the VG33The VG30 crank will only work with the VG30 Oil PumpThe VG33 Crank will only work with the VG33 Oil PumpIf you plan on running the VG33 crank in your swap you will have to modify the pickup tube as read above again. The VG30 pick up tube will bolt to the vg33 pump but it will be in the incorrect place. I modified the VG30 tube to work in the vg30 pan with a vg33 pump. I also had to cut some baffling in the pan to make it work.If running a vg33 oil pump the filter is attached to a extension bolted to the pump. This was in the way on my car. I was able to tap the oil pump with ¼ NPT tap and run fittings to a remote filter housing. If you are stuck with the vg33 crank as I am, this must be done if the filter housing is in the way. You can not run the filter on the side of the block if using this oil pump. I suppose you could if you fabed a loop for the two holes in the side of the oil pump, but if you are going to do this, you might as well run a remote oil filter.

Crank pulleys are not interchangeable.Water pump is a bit different. VG30 was shorter than the vg33. I ran the water pump that went with the crank so the belts would line up.The t-stat housing on the VG30 will not bolt to the vg33 block as there is casting material in the way of the housing. You may be able to grind, I did not try.The vg33 t-stat housing outlet puts the lower hose connection at an angle, not straight out as the vg30 housing did. This forced me to fab up some creative lower hose connections.

T belts/cam gears/crank gears must be for the crank you are running. If VG30 crank sprocket you must use vg30 cam gears/ t-beltIf vg33 crank sprocket you must use vg33 cam gears.The cam gears are interchangeable with the camVG33 gears will work on a vg30 cam.The intakes are interchangeable.The flywheel from a vg30 will bolt to a vg33 crank.The cams from a vg30 will work in a vg33 head.The valve springs from a vg30 will work in a vg33 head.The transmission from a vg30 will work on a vg33 block.Mounts are the same also.The vg30 distributor required some time on the grinder. An angle must be made at the base of the distributor as the clamping bolt did not go straight down as on vg30 heads. On Vg33 heads this bolt enters at an angle.

mtcookson added "On the distributor, there should be plate that bolts to the head. The distributor bolts to that plate. You should be able to remove the plate from one head and put it on the other to go with the distributor you're using. "

Joe

Modified by bimrtech at 4:23 PM 5/18/2008

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Great info Joe!

On the distributor, there should be plate that bolts to the head. The distributor bolts to that plate. You should be able to remove the plate from one head and put it on the other to go with the distributor you're using. They actually use the two different types even between VG30's in different vehicles as well (angled and flat). I totally forgot about that one, sorry about that.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

So what exactly did you do about the water pump differences? You say the VG30 water pump does not work?

bimrtech
Car: Several

It will if you run a vg30 crank/pulleyVG33 pump is a bit longer than the vg30 I used.

mtcookson, I was so tired by the time I got to the dizzy, I did not even see that. Good point!

speedfoos
Car: 1990 D21

As much as folks hate bumping old threads, I'm going to anyway. I got it that VG30 cams fit a VG33E (which is what I have) and the fact that you pick up a little power as result of the higher lift and longer duration.

However, will the stock ECU be able to take advantage of the slightly more aggressive cam profile?

From what I understand, there aren't any plug and play engine management systems for this ECU (the stock VG33E) and any extensive mods would require the use of Megasquirt or another piggyback.

mbmbmb23

speedfoos wrote:
From what I understand, there aren't any plug and play engine management systems for this ECU (the stock VG33E) and any extensive mods would require the use of Megasquirt or another piggyback.
http://www.nistune.com ?

trev0006

Great info, was looking for this a while back.
bimrtech wrote:Just wanted to put this information all in one spot.

Big Thanks to mtcookson for letting me know before hand some of the differences. I would not have performed this swap without his advice!

I just performed this swap and found a few more. I just want to clarify a few things for others interested in this swap.

From the bottom up.

The VG30 oil pan will bolt to the VG33 blockThe a VG30 oil pump will bolt on the vg33 block and is needed if running the vg30’s oil pan as the pick up tube is in a different location from the vg33 pump unless you want to fab. the pickup tube.The VG30 crank will work in the VG33The VG30 crank will only work with the VG30 Oil PumpThe VG33 Crank will only work with the VG33 Oil PumpIf you plan on running the VG33 crank in your swap you will have to modify the pickup tube as read above again. The VG30 pick up tube will bolt to the vg33 pump but it will be in the incorrect place. I modified the VG30 tube to work in the vg30 pan with a vg33 pump. I also had to cut some baffling in the pan to make it work.If running a vg33 oil pump the filter is attached to a extension bolted to the pump. This was in the way on my car. I was able to tap the oil pump with ¼ NPT tap and run fittings to a remote filter housing. If you are stuck with the vg33 crank as I am, this must be done if the filter housing is in the way. You can not run the filter on the side of the block if using this oil pump. I suppose you could if you fabed a loop for the two holes in the side of the oil pump, but if you are going to do this, you might as well run a remote oil filter.

Crank pulleys are not interchangeable.Water pump is a bit different. VG30 was shorter than the vg33. I ran the water pump that went with the crank so the belts would line up.The t-stat housing on the VG30 will not bolt to the vg33 block as there is casting material in the way of the housing. You may be able to grind, I did not try.The vg33 t-stat housing outlet puts the lower hose connection at an angle, not straight out as the vg30 housing did. This forced me to fab up some creative lower hose connections.

T belts/cam gears/crank gears must be for the crank you are running. If VG30 crank sprocket you must use vg30 cam gears/ t-beltIf vg33 crank sprocket you must use vg33 cam gears.The cam gears are interchangeable with the camVG33 gears will work on a vg30 cam.The intakes are interchangeable.The flywheel from a vg30 will bolt to a vg33 crank.The cams from a vg30 will work in a vg33 head.The valve springs from a vg30 will work in a vg33 head.The transmission from a vg30 will work on a vg33 block.Mounts are the same also.The vg30 distributor required some time on the grinder. An angle must be made at the base of the distributor as the clamping bolt did not go straight down as on vg30 heads. On Vg33 heads this bolt enters tires sport cars at an angle.

mtcookson added "On the distributor, there should be plate that bolts to the head. The distributor bolts to that plate. You should be able to remove the plate from one head and put it on the other to go with the distributor you're using. "

Joe

Modified by bimrtech at 4:23 PM 5/18/2008

madroxx
Car: 1993 nissan d21 bagged

so the heads will work?

lalo
Car: 1989 240sx and 1988 300zx turbo

no

N2mesnob
Car: 95' SE Pathfinder

what are the benefits to running VG30 parts on VG33 block?

mudzombie
Car: 86 300zx
96 pathfinder

hey i was wondering will vg30e heads work on a vg33 block or do i have to use the vg33e heads and just swap the cams and gears?

thomas318speaks
Car: 1986 nissan 300zx. manual transmisson.

ok.. now lets say i have a vg30 block with vg33 parts on it. will it work the same still???

wangan s12
Car: 1988 nissan 200sx SE V6, VG30e front s13 suspension setup, soon to be a boosted vg30/33

so say i wanted to build a vg, what would be the cons and wrongs of this idea
vg33e block ported
vg30det oil pump
vg30 oil pan
vg33e water pump,
vg30e built heads with cam gears and 280 cams
vg30e crank
and if i do this, id have to fab a custom t stat housing ?

drew317
Car: 99 Frontier SE

SOS!

Glad to hear the transmission will mount, as I mistakenly bought a D21 trans for my D22. Right away I notice the mount is different, not a big deal... but the shifter linkage is as well. Any help here?

I have a 99 SE 4X4 King Cab (now just 2WD) with a VG33E and auto trans. Going in (hopefully) is an RE4R01A. Is this possible and does anyone have any tips for overcoming the shifter linkage issue?

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”