TREMEC TRANNY FOR RB

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

FAST-DATSUN wrote:TKO 600 shifter location is a problem, but can be fixed, but requires mods to console and trim...
Have you looked at doing this before/seen it done? Where abouts does it sit? From pics of a tko 600 i would guess too far forward?

Shocker
Car: 89 240sxHB rb26/30

240z4u wrote:
This argument has limited merit, good working z32 trannies are cheap. If you are breaking them consistently that is one thing.. however that is not the norm at all.

That said, adapter plates are welcome, but will have such a limited market they will be prohibitively expensive.

Evan
I see what your getting at for a used 300zx tranny. I was talking about new for high prices. Next is finding a shop willing to strip the 300zx tranny and replace the components in your rb25 one. I dont like the idea of moving my shifter location. I've called two local shops to do just this and both said no thanks.

Maybe I'll just invest in a nice snap on gear puller set.

240z4u
Car: '95 Nissan 240SX

Shocker wrote:
I see what your getting at for a used 300zx tranny. I was talking about new for high prices. Next is finding a shop willing to strip the 300zx tranny and replace the components in your rb25 one. I dont like the idea of moving my shifter location. I've called two local shops to do just this and both said no thanks.

Maybe I'll just invest in a nice snap on gear puller set.
Yeah dude "shockers rebuilt transmissions". Is there a waiting list?

I built my car around a z31 turbo trans so I took care of the shifter situation day one (kinda glad I did). I understand what you mean though about not wanting to move it.

The labor is very prohibitive to rebuild a trans with used parts obviously so I see what your saying.

Evan

DETurbine
Car: S13 RB25

I would say go for making the adapter kit. It will be worth the effort, there are going to be those that will buy that want something more then the stock transmission and want a reliable transmission for their higher hp rb's.

For those of you that can't justify spending that much on a transmission like me, then just keep your RB25 transmission. It blows keep the bell housing swap it onto a z32 rear section, buy a $180 mckinney shifter adapter bracket. You can buy z32 transmissions from a foreign salvage yard for $150-300 and to swap over the bell housing it will only take an hour or two of your time.

DrifterProdigy85
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (Zenki Onevia)

How bout the use of a Saginaw or Muncy? There cheap and can hold around 500tq.

FAST-DATSUN

DrifterProdigy85 wrote:How bout the use of a Saginaw or Muncy? There cheap and can hold around 500tq.
shifter location is a problem.., its workable, some people do not like the s***er location.Z32 trans with RB bellhousing takes about 3 hour and some gaskets...and oil...

TimeAttackTheory
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

How about a t56 to rb20det adapter?

DrifterProdigy85

FAST-DATSUN wrote:shifter location is a problem.., its workable, some people do not like the s***er location.Z32 trans with RB bellhousing takes about 3 hour and some gaskets...and oil...
Yeah i can see your point. Guess only advantage GM has is with there auto trannies. Which i think could drive pretty damn awesome with the right stall and a manual valve body.

Boostedkouki23
Car: 98' Kouki

Do you own a shop? Also what part of Miami are you in?

kcsturbocustoms
Car: 240sx s14

For those of you that think this is going to be a big baller upgrade your totally wrong iam going to make this affordable and reliable that is the whole idea behind this. Remember there is still tones of r&d that needs to be done. Please be patient guys this sort off thing takes months to develop. I assure you this is in the works and is going to be reality.

This will most likely be options for the belLhousing Ford TKO 500-600/TR3550/T5 Mustang Transmission

toadx8u
Car: 1975 Datsun 710(coming soon F20C)
1993 240sx Vert DD
1995 240sx GT3788 RB25DET
1996 240sx LSx 5.3L
2000 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel
2004 Honda RC51

jdmser wrote:I would much rather see an affordable kit to put a TH350/TH400/glide on the back of an RB. Once you get beyond the power level of the FS5R30A can handle an auto makes more sense to me.
a simple search on google will net you what your seeking for less then 800$ ...but i guess i can just give you the link... http://www.atiracing.com/produ...t.htmyou can also purchase a nice TH350/400 or glide for a decent price from them too thats what my drag car is getting

jdmser
Car: duh

Check the fine print. You have to use a custom ATI converter that doesn't come with their kit. If it was included I'd agree with you but, it's not.

DrifterProdigy85

jdmser wrote:Check the fine print. You have to use a custom ATI converter that doesn't come with their kit. If it was included I'd agree with you but, it's not.
No different than needing a custom made clutch for the tremec idea. Custom made convertor isnt but $500 anyways. Cheaper than most high hp clutch kits.

jdmser

DrifterProdigy85 wrote:
No different than needing a custom made clutch for the tremec idea. Custom made convertor isnt but $500 anyways. Cheaper than most high hp clutch kits.
Who is selling a custom converter for $500? ATI has some 10" converters(and those are rated for even less hp than the stock rb25 trans) in that price range but, the 8" converters are almost as much as the kit. On top of that, those aren't even the custom 8" ATI wants you to buy with the kit. Me and my builder have had this conversation. He spent more on a custom converter for his car then the ATI kit, converter, and a TH400. He blew through it in one night of shake down runs. I not saying your not going to spend more going to an auto, just that it doesn't make sense to go from one manual transmission to another of equal strength when they cost the same and parts can be had in the US for either. That and I don't think ATI is the end all be all for trans adapters, stronger can be had.

DrifterProdigy85

How about the ATF kit i posted earlier? Is that one better?

stevespeed
Car: RB-Swapped S13, FTW

240z4u wrote:
Yeah dude "shockers rebuilt transmissions". Is there a waiting list?

I built my car around a z31 turbo trans so I took care of the shifter situation day one (kinda glad I did). I understand what you mean though about not wanting to move it.

The labor is very prohibitive to rebuild a trans with used parts obviously so I see what your saying.

Evan
I actually talked to Evan alot through out my swap, and I ended up using an Z32 TT (same as the N/A) out of a 94 in my car, and I put an RB26 bell housing on it, with a short shifter, and the trans mission and the shifter adaptor, I had the whole setup in the car, for literally 500 bucks, and the shifter setup is AMAZING, and the transmission you get a really good look at it when you tear it apart, and swapping a bell housing is literally a 1 hour job.

But I would LOVE a 6 speed

I mean seriously

I would.

DrifterProdigy85

What about a Z33 trans? Match that with a 3.69 rear and i could see that being very nice to drive.

kcsturbocustoms

kcsturbocustoms wrote:For those of you that think this is going to be a big baller upgrade your totally wrong iam going to make this affordable and reliable that is the whole idea behind this. Remember there is still tones of r&d that needs to be done. Please be patient guys this sort off thing takes months to develop. I assure you this is in the works and is going to be reality.

This will most likely be options for the belLhousing Ford TKO 500-600/TR3550/T5 Mustang Transmission
I dont think any one caught my last post. Please let me know what you think of those options.

Jables
Car: 1995 RB26DET S14, 1991 RB25DET S13, 1992 S13 LS1 Coupe

Very easy options to come across.. The only set back on the base T5 would be the 10 spline input shaft which normally only hold up to about 400hp before they twist off. However i still have customers making way more power then that with the stock trans. I guess some are just luckier then others.

But yes i'd say those will work out just fine. Hell i have about four of those transmissions just sitting at the shop..

Chaos the Xile
Car: 1974 Datsun 260Z

I would love to have one for a tremec t56, but we need prices and maybe a group buy for the 1st wave of these. Keep us updated regularly so we know that this is legit

kcsturbocustoms

In order to make things go alot easier a group buy would be much easier. I would need at least 20 to jump on this buy. Not sure about pricing yet, i wont really know till a couple months.

240z4u
Car: '95 Nissan 240SX

kcsturbocustoms wrote:In order to make things go alot easier a group buy would be much easier. I would need at least 20 to jump on this buy. Not sure about pricing yet, i wont really know till a couple months.
LMAO your going to saturate the market right off the bat. Realistically, expect 5 guys to "jump" on this anytime soon.

stevespeed
Car: RB-Swapped S13, FTW

well I mean the stock transmissions are pretty damn robust, and with nothing more than a bell housing swap the Z31 Turbo 30A transmission kinda fits right up.

and really swapping the bell housing is pretty easy

kcsturbocustoms

stevespeed wrote:well I mean the stock transmissions are pretty damn robust, and with nothing more than a bell housing swap the Z31 Turbo 30A transmission kinda fits right up.

and really swapping the bell housing is pretty easy
Its not as easy as you say, but it can be done. BUT it dont shift like a tremec and you cant have the same satisfaction of knowing the parts a readily available.

jdmser

Actually it is that easy to swap a rb bell housing onto a fs5r30a from a z31/z32/Pathfinder. I did it in less then an hour. You may need a custom drive shaft but, you would need that with a tremec too. On top of that most of the sensors are plug and play for the s14 lower harness. You also have many options for replacement parts for all of the above mentioned transmission in the US. Also, I was able to get my rb25/26 bell housing and pathfinder transmission for under $500, hard to beat.

kcsturbocustoms

So it looks like the price on the bell housings will be about $400. Let me know what you guys think. I really need some feed back from you guys. Would like to know how many would be interested. Need a good amount of people before i commit. This custom sh8t is not cheap.

Fibre guy
Car: 91' s13 RB25DET, 95' s14 bone stock, 87' Wrangler 4.6L stroker

$400? What materials and manufacturing methods do you plan on using?

kcsturbocustoms

Built from high grade steel, over 80,000 PSI strength. This is over 2 times the strength of any other steel bellhousing.

Shocker
Car: 89 240sxHB rb26/30

kcsturbocustoms wrote:Built from high grade steel, over 80,000 PSI strength. This is over 2 times the strength of any other steel bellhousing.
You talking Yield or Maximum? What type of "high strength steel"? Is this stainless, structural?

This is an adapter plate for a bellhousing, it doesn't need to be made out of indestructionium.

This plate could me water jetted out of a piece of aluminum stock, that's been precision ground/milled flat on both sides from the place of origin. After all the bellhousings are aluminum.

Look into 6061 T6 AL, it can be had at a reasonable price, it wont rust, its great aluminum, its lighter.. ect ect and very strong. Even 6061 T4 might work.

kcsturbocustoms

This is a bellhousing not an adapter plate and its not going to be in raw form (IT WILL HAVE A PROTECTIVE PAINT). Also, its not going to way very much. ANYWAY i just but pricing out there just to let everyone know what the pricing will be around. DETAILS TO COME ON PRODUCT. It will be high quality,... I wouldnt want less on my ride.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”