Transfer Case and Rear Differential Fluid Change at 20K

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
tedc
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV
2021 Nissan Sentra SV

Decided to change the oil in both. With only 20K (mostly highway), I was amazed how dirty the oil was. The transfer case gear oil came out black with a bad smell. Just about 10.5 oz came out which matches the service manual capacity. 10.5 oz of new 80W-90 went in before dripping from the fill hole. The rear diff was not as dirty with no bad smell. The bottom drain plug has a magnet that needed to be cleaned. Only 16 oz came out, yet I was able to fill 18.8 oz or .2 oz over service manual listed capacity of 18.6 oz. Would indicate it came from the factory a few ounces short. Overall, not a very difficult task. Both use 10mm hex drain and fill plugs torqued to 26 ft lb. Reused the solid plug washers. My conclusions. Highway driving at 70 mph must really heat up the transfer case oil, shortening life. Also, why such a skimpy capacity of 10.5 oz? Will change again before 40K. Cost $20 for the oil and 2 hours of labor.

PeterH_605
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

The bad smell on the gear oil is normal. Any gear oil will have that smell after use.

The maintenance manual of the Rogue lists certain conditions under which they recommend the 20k miles interval. It's quite easy to do, I agree with you that it's a good idea considering how cheap it is. Rear diff fill level will depend on the angle the vehicle is at, 2oz I wouldn't worry about personally.

Skimpy capacity, well it is a tiny transfer case and a tiny differential. Not much room for more fluid int here.

roguemjl
Car: 2015 Rogue SL

I would use a full synthetic gear oil. It will last longer and run cooler.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Funny you mention that.

Right after I completed draining and filling with conventional valvoline 80w-90 gear oil,

The hell with it, my ocd kicked in and a few weeks later I joined the crowd.

Might as well make everything synthetic.

I decided to use synthetic Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear oil. Personal choice. Soon after those convenient squeeze packets appeared right after I completed the procedure. :rolleyes:

Still got left over of both. :whistle:

Sticking with the regular Nissan NS-2 cvt fluid though. :bigthumb:

will41
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV

casperfun wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Sticking with the regular Nissan NS-2 cvt fluid though. :bigthumb:
I am trying to decide between Nissan N-3 cvt or Amsoil cvt.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I’m pretty impressed with Amsoil cvt since it’s synthetic and more superior. But I still have some ns-2 leftover.

If I can access the amsoil version easily, I won’t mind getting that.

PeterH_605
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I have a case of Amsoil fluid setting in the garage for the next CVT service.

If you go on the amsoil website and create an account, the reps can upgrade you to a preferred pricing account for 6 month, when buying a case of CVT fluid, it may be worth it. Webiste shows 12 quarts at USD $176 list price or $ 123 preferred price.

will41
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV

The Amsoil seems more proven with CVTs that require NS-2 fluid. I am not sure about the ones requiring NS-3. I called the dealership today and the NS-3 is $28 per quart. I could get it on ebay for around $18-$20.

plhoff
Car: 2017 Rogue S AWD

150k on '17 S AWD. Finally did trans case and diff with Liqui Moly 85w-90. All good. Might be my imagination but it feels like some torque restored.

Return to “Rogue Forum”