Toyota #1?

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
outcastcat
Car: none

Well if Toyota would just offer heavy duty trucks. no ones matched americans there. My dads dodge ram cummins is a great thing, though its not immune to mechanical problems (american companies can take a great engine, and put not so great stuff around it). Anyone heard bout the new ecotec? Accept for connecting rods (i think that was the part), which are good to 260 HP, the engine is STOCK good to 500+. THats not THAT bad for a 4 banger econobox.

No, the vette doesnt look like a RX-8. Are you on drugs?

When it comes to power, the americans have the japanese spanked. Theres little better than the 350Z when it comes to performance, and Honda/Toyota have very little in the way of serious performance. Nothing on the Vette (which is a bargain), the viper (a supercar bargain), the new mustang is sweet, and the GM is buying the WRX, rebadging and selling it itself! THe RX-8 is nothing special cause Ford owns that. o well. well all be saved someday.

Japanese quality is way better though. Undoubtadly. ITs why my first car, will be japanese. Cause when its used, it may as well be a relaibable POS rather than a really s*** POS.

BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

outcastcat wrote: Anyone heard bout the new ecotec? Accept for connecting rods (i think that was the part), which are good to 260 HP, the engine is STOCK good to 500+. THats not THAT bad for a 4 banger econobox.

and the GM is buying the WRX, rebadging and selling it itself!
Where are you getting all of this information? Link anywhere? Especially on the WRX comment.

Jesda

Whatever you buy, do tons of research. There's a small amount of asian garbage on the roads too.

outcastcat

The suburu is being resold as a Saab model (ok, i cant think of the name right off the top of my head). Its not unplausible either, because GM now sells a car with a Honda engine

The ecotec was covered in an entire issue of Hot compact and import, and was based on Drag race testing.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

outcastcat wrote:Well if Toyota would just offer heavy duty trucks. no ones matched americans there. My dads dodge ram cummins is a great thing, though its not immune to mechanical problems (american companies can take a great engine, and put not so great stuff around it). Anyone heard bout the new ecotec? Accept for connecting rods (i think that was the part), which are good to 260 HP, the engine is STOCK good to 500+. THats not THAT bad for a 4 banger econobox.

No, the vette doesnt look like a RX-8. Are you on drugs?

When it comes to power, the americans have the japanese spanked. Theres little better than the 350Z when it comes to performance, and Honda/Toyota have very little in the way of serious performance. Nothing on the Vette (which is a bargain), the viper (a supercar bargain), the new mustang is sweet, and the GM is buying the WRX, rebadging and selling it itself! THe RX-8 is nothing special cause Ford owns that. o well. well all be saved someday.

Japanese quality is way better though. Undoubtadly. ITs why my first car, will be japanese. Cause when its used, it may as well be a relaibable POS rather than a really s*** POS.
I agree and disagree here.

While Toyota has yet to build a full-size truck (despite what they try to convince us), not all Japanese trucks are crap.The Titan is just as good as, if not better than, Ford and Chevy's half-ton trucks. If I was buying a half ton pickup, it'd be Ram or Titan for me.

I think certain aspects of the 'Vette look a bit like the RX-8, such as the front fenders. It looks more like a Pininfarina car than a Mazda to me, though. But really, it's all 'Vette. There's nothing not 'Vette about it, it's got a little something from every generation back to the '53 and ties it all together beautifully.

It's also not only american car-makers that are bringing back the Muscle car (the sedan with lots of power--that's what muscle car REALLY means). It's Cadillac, Dodge, and Nissan.Ford and Chevy seem unable to build anything more sporty than a Cavalier or Fucus.The only companies making decent power with V8s in respectable, reliable, good performing (meaning well-rounded...good skidpad numbers, good acceleration, everything "performance" not just power) are Caddy and Nissan. M45, V series, that's it. Ford's pathetic excuse for a Mustang is not a muscle car. It's a yuppy-magnet, and certainly not "performance" oriented in any way, shape, or form. I don't know why everyone beleives otherwise, but 300hp from a sports car sucks a**). Chevy has ditched RWD for good by the looks of it (BASTARDS! These guys build the Impala SS! What HAPPENED!?) Ford seems stuck on low price over anything else. Dodge still has yet to redeem themselves from poor reliability.

Only Cadillac, with an all-but-one RWD lineup and all-but-two V8 lineup, and Nissan, with their mini-8 that is the VQ (yeah, I worship the engine, but what other V6 have you seen that makes upwards of 250 lb feet across most of the odometer and gets mid 20's milage, all while being ultra-reliable and daily-usable?) and the VK (I LOVE the small block Chevy, but the VK is even better...DOHC, CVTC, and a nissan powerband and reliablilty.) Nissan is poised to bring back the high-powered sedans that people like me hunger for.Toyota can't make a car perform. They can put power under the hood, but ut;s wasted on float-mobiles (which also happen to look like s***). Honda can't put power to the ground and doesn't even MAKE a V8. Suzuki and Isuzu are crap. Mazda rocks, but they're their own little Niche, with a very unique lineup which, if it was not for Nissan, I would prefer over anything else. No V8s, though. No torquey cars. Rotaries are cool, but not cool enough to warrant a horrible powerband and suffer from über-low torque as well as poor gas milage.

One further note about pickups.The full size lineup, from best to worst as far as I'm concerned is:TitanRamF-150Silverado

Looks, its TitanRam/Silverado (tie)F-150--I hate it. It's fugly. It looks like a damn toy. NOT cool.

But there's a fourth one nobody has mentioned yet. Actually, a couple more. True, true-bed pickups (i.e. seperate bed/body as opposed to how the Escalade EXT and Avalanche are):The Lincoln Blackwood and the Lincoln Mark LT. Also, in Canada, I beleive you can buy Mercury F-150 variations. Both the Blackwood and Mark Lt are F-150 based.

I only bring up the Mercury pickups because they are the ONLY lux-pickups that retain offroad capability and truck-ness. Plus, they are very good looking (I LOVE the pinstriping on the Blackwood). Pics:

Blackwood (note the split tailgate):

Mark LT:

Earlier today I saw the stupidest thing I've seen in a while:For F350. Lifted. HUGE mud tires. It would have looked very off-roadish, BUT:It was purple. It had PURPLE NEON UNDERNEATH. It made me think "fast and the furious wannabe" NOT "woah! Badass truck." Worst part? The dude driving looked like he was in his 50's.

Jesda

The VK is showing some problems with oil consumption. Folks are even getting engine replacements as early as 25k. Hopefully Nissan gets the problem ironed out, as looser tolerances were accepted for more power from the same amount of displacement.

I was really hoping the Mark LT would set itself apart with an awesome interior, like they did with the Navigator. Unfortunately, no. Its barely a step above the F150.

Something about the way the Titan is built and the way the doors close inspires confidence. I like the Sierra/Silverado for the same reason. Never been inside or ridden in a Ram.

The Saab youre referring to, Outcast, is the 9-2.

BB Turbo

whoa, is this the new 9-2 or something? And will it be based on the WRX chassis and have the EJ20-25 in it?

Jesda

I'm lost... I was referring to the current Impreza-clone 9-2 wagon.

BB Turbo

nvm.

EJ20 Suby engine i guess...

I had no idea that existed until now.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

My understanding is the 9-2 has been a flop. Since its been on the market, I've only seen one on the road. The Local SSI (Saturn-Saab-Isuzu) dealers are selling them at a discount. A good buy if you want a chaeper WRX with whatever little cachet Saab has left.

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

Well Minister, you my firend are smoking crack, on the truck list that is. (You know I am just picking) Best to worst:

F150TitanChevy - what the hell everand then Dodge.

Dodge's are worthless, unless we are talking about their Diesel's. Not much on having to get new brakes, new tranny, and have me wheel fall off; I know the wheels only fell off the Dakota and Durango's but it doesnt inspire confidence.

And back on the Cavaliers. The 3.1 V6 have nice get up, and good torque, but 140 hp is losey. My 92 got taken by a 95 Alti. Not bashing on the Nissan by any maens. Now if you can find one of the Pontiac 3.1 GPT engines and toss in the Cavalier, like I was planning to do, there you go.

3.1 turbo charged. Still a little lite on horse power, but you can do a proper build up and get teh boost up there.

Anyway, what quality issues has Nissan had with the Sentra's??? If I was getting something new, it would probally be a Sentra, well if I could afford a WRX, it would be that....

Man I have got to find me another early 90's model Sentra. I want an SE-R!!!!

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I'd put the Toyotas in there...

they're good trucks...just not Titan good.

outcastcat

ok. you people need to learn a little car history. The mustang is not, i repeat NOT a muscle car.

Say it with me now: the mustang is not a muscle car.

We've got 3 classifications mentioned (2 actually, but now i mention the REAL one).Muscle car, pony car , sports car (which is not an overall heading from the last 2, but entirely different).

the last generation might have been a muscle car, with a big engine and midsiz, but the new one is a return to old. So what was the old one?

It was a pony car. A pony car is based on a regular car (ok the new one isnt), it has a small engine, and is somewhat sporty/fun. It doesnt run a big engine. The largest engine offered in the normal stang of old was a 289 ci V-8. Most had a 6-cyl. You may think thats huge, but in a time when the best race engines were a 440, 454, 426 hemi, 429 boss, 427, 428, it was small. A "small" block Gm was 350 or 392. The smallest one in chyslers cars was a 318 who sold a 383 to. (i could be wrong, but u get the idea).

It was targetted at youth. tHe new stang has cut size and price (youth oriented rather than the last stangs middle aged man) and has reintroduced a smaller engine. The camaro has always been a direct compeitor in this youth oriented market.

Now that we know wat a pony car is, we can debate things on the idea of what makes a good ponycar (cheap, sport, and cool). It is not super good. It doesnt have a load of power, and doesnt smoke everything on the street. Its cheap fun and looks cool. If u wanted a fast car in the 60s, u moved up to a mod on the stang (which was a lot of money), a Dodge Charge, a Chevelle (which is a larger car, and a muscle car) or something similar. You didnt buy a pony car (except maybe a 396 camaro, but then again Mustangs outsold camaros so that tells u wat a mustang should be.)

note: mustang mods: cause of their excessive engines, Boss's and MAch 1's are usually considered muscle cars (the Boss's is a NASCAR 429 engine, same with the 72 Mach 1). The shelby, being a complete package, shares more in common with a sports car.

Does it require RWD (if not, the SRT-4 would be one, or even a STi or EVO VIII. if they made a 240 again (with a slightly better engine) would it count?)

So thats wat a stang is. Its what a camaro should be. A camaro should not make 350 HP. Its too damn expensive. It shouldnt be the size of a GTO (which would make it a MUSCLE car.)

TERM: Muscle car: Mid to fullsize (vs. pony cars compact to mid, which the old stang was in 60s terms) car, cheap, with a big a** engine stuffed in. Note: a charger with a 426 race motor (which was actively sold to the public in everything from the fullsize charger to COMPACT dart) would be a muscle car). Muscle cars do require big engines (and a compact dart with a 440 would prob be a muscle car, though the name isnt sinonymous with muscle that car will haul a**), and the new GTO should make good power (300+). Muscle cars, unlike sports cars, are not required to brake or handle in any good means, nor look sleek or fast. By contrast, the 60s era Vette was sleek and fast (by 60s standards).

note: the original GTO was a rebadged midsize car with a big engine. the GTO defined and made muscle car

Thats what a camaro should and should not be. Does muscle car exist today? Yes. GTO. and the new charger if it exists, or the Magnum fits.

note: the vette is a sports car, not a muscle car.

Thanks for your lesson on American motor history. Cause old cars kick a** too.

note: Do pony cars have to be American, because both STi and EVO have been suggested to be the new pony car enemies.

The new cav has an import fighting advantage. Its half a liter bigger than civic. That might be it. Argue on the rest of this, that wasnt important.

Modified by outcastcat at 9:39 PM 4/18/2005

Modified by outcastcat at 9:41 PM 4/18/2005
Modified by outcastcat at 9:44 PM 4/18/2005

outcastcat

BTW, i didnt say Toyora didnt make a Full size truck (any truck catogorized by ton, such as half-ton, fits into this catagory). I said they didnt make a Heavy Duty. Toyota makes high quality trucks.

Glossary:Heavy Duty Truck: A truck which is Three Quarter Ton or larger. Usually includes a Diesal engine option. Noted differences in design from half ton brother. See: Ford, Dodge. 1-Ton has dually option.

Makers of HD trucks:Dodge Ram 2500, Ram 3500Ford F-250, F-350Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Silverado 3500HDThe GM rebadge of the above truck.
Modified by outcastcat at 9:46 PM 4/18/2005

outcastcat

WANT AN SE-R. Its not the coolest, but its fast on the cheap, reliable, quality, and japanese. American quality is crap. My family has bought lots of trucks (many live inside the country) and has had best luck with Dodge, then ford, then Chevy (with huge probs there). Titan dont knw much bout, but then again my family usually buys 3/4 for hauling and stuff.

I'll remember about buying a 9-2. I just might do that. CHEAP Subaru. Subarus are good cars, hope they didnt fuc it up.

Jesda

Pony cars have horse names. I've yet to see a breed of horse named STi and EVO.

BB Turbo

outcastcat wrote:ok. you people need to learn a little car history. The mustang is not, i repeat NOT a muscle car.

We've got 3 classifications mentioned (2 actually, but now i mention the REAL one).Muscle car, pony car , sports car (which is not an overall heading from the last 2, but entirely different).

the last generation might have been a muscle car, with a big engine and midsiz, but the new one is a return to old. So what was the old one?

It was a pony car. A pony car is based on a regular car (ok the new one isnt), it has a small engine, and is somewhat sporty/fun. It doesnt run a big engine. The largest engine offered in the normal stang of old was a 289 ci V-8. Most had a 6-cyl. You may think thats huge, but in a time when the best race engines were a 440, 454, 426 hemi, 429 boss, 427, 428, it was small. A "small" block Gm was 350 or 392. The smallest one in chyslers cars was a 318 who sold a 383 to. (i could be wrong, but u get the idea).

It was targetted at youth. tHe new stang has cut size and price (youth oriented rather than the last stangs middle aged man) and has reintroduced a smaller engine. The camaro has always been a direct compeitor in this youth oriented market.

Now that we know wat a pony car is, we can debate things on the idea of what makes a good ponycar (cheap, sport, and cool). It is not super good. It doesnt have a load of power, and doesnt smoke everything on the street. Its cheap fun and looks cool. If u wanted a fast car in the 60s, u moved up to a mod on the stang (which was a lot of money), a Dodge Charge, a Chevelle (which is a larger car, and a muscle car) or something similar. You didnt buy a pony car (except maybe a 396 camaro, but then again Mustangs outsold camaros so that tells u wat a mustang should be.)

note: mustang mods: cause of their excessive engines, Boss's and MAch 1's are usually considered muscle cars (the Boss's is a NASCAR 429 engine, same with the 72 Mach 1). The shelby, being a complete package, shares more in common with a sports car.

Does it require RWD (if not, the SRT-4 would be one, or even a STi or EVO VIII. if they made a 240 again (with a slightly better engine) would it count?)

So thats wat a stang is. Its what a camaro should be. A camaro should not make 350 HP. Its too damn expensive. It shouldnt be the size of a GTO (which would make it a MUSCLE car.)

TERM: Muscle car: Mid to fullsize (vs. pony cars compact to mid, which the old stang was in 60s terms) car, cheap, with a big a** engine stuffed in. Note: a charger with a 426 race motor (which was actively sold to the public in everything from the fullsize charger to COMPACT dart) would be a muscle car). Muscle cars do require big engines (and a compact dart with a 440 would prob be a muscle car, though the name isnt sinonymous with muscle that car will haul a**), and the new GTO should make good power (300+). Muscle cars, unlike sports cars, are not required to brake or handle in any good means, nor look sleek or fast. By contrast, the 60s era Vette was sleek and fast (by 60s standards).

note: the original GTO was a rebadged midsize car with a big engine. the GTO defined and made muscle car

Thats what a camaro should and should not be. Does muscle car exist today? Yes. GTO. and the new charger if it exists, or the Magnum fits.

note: Do pony cars have to be American, because both STi and EVO have been suggested to be the new pony car enemies.

The new cav has an import fighting advantage. Its half a liter bigger than civic. That might be it. Argue on the rest of this, that wasnt important.

Modified by outcastcat at 9:39 PM 4/18/2005

Modified by outcastcat at 9:41 PM 4/18/2005

Modified by outcastcat at 9:44 PM 4/18/2005
I am 10x dumber for reading that
Jesda wrote:Pony cars have horse names. I've yet to see a breed of horse named STi and EVO.
rofflehaus!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

outcastcat wrote:ok. you people need to learn a little car history. The mustang is not, i repeat NOT a muscle car.

Um..."half a liter bigger" doesn't add up to jack. Does it make more power? Does it put more to the wheels? Does it have a better power/torque band? Displacement alone is not enough. Especially not from one of the worst cars in GM hostory.

WOW. You have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

No, the Mustang is no longer a muscle car, but not for the reasons you listed. And if the new one is not, how in the HELL is the old one a muscle car? It made LESS POWER YOU DOLT. It was also a bigger POS in every single way possible

It's not the SIZE of the engine that makes a car a muscle car. It's the POWER from the engine.The 454 was a POS, despite what stupid kids thing. The 427, on the other hand, while being smaller, was MUCH more powerful, more reliable, and more efficient.

The Shelby was in EVERY WAY a Muscle car. Every Mustang before 1971 was a muscle car. All after that were budget sports cars. And YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

As for the GTO being a rebadge...NO f*** s***! Everyone knows that. For the first year or so it was called THE TEMPEST GTO. THAT is what defines a muscle car, not "big engine." A muscle car was a regular car that had lots of power. An everyday sedan with extra performance. BUT THE GTO DID NOT INVENT the muscle car. It was not the first to be a performance oriented package for a normal car. The GTO came about in 1963. The muscle car had existed for nearly a decade prior to that.

The Chevelle was a muscle car. It could be had with an assortment of big blocks. The 427 was the best of all. Most DEFINITIVELY a muscle car. Not in any way in the same class as Mustang or Camaro. You know there was a Chevelle station wagon, right? Again, everyday car with extra performance. Same with the Chevelle's little brother, the Nova. Regular sedan, big performance. The Charger and Challenger were muscle cars.

Pony car is not a "class" you dolt. It's a nickname. The Mustang has this horse reared up on it's hind legs for a logo...so people call it the Pony car. That's all. Do you see any horses on the Camaro logo? I hope you don't. It's not a "pony car" it's a bargain sports car, like the 'stang.

The new muscle cars are cars like the Infiniti M and Cadillac V series, as I said before. Everyday sedans with extra performance. The GTO is a muscle car, very much so, as are all of Dodge's "Hemi" lineup. They are what defines a muscle car.

BB Turbo

Most of his posts consist or stating the absolute obvious. Its okay, he's still a n00b.

Outcast, for future reference, don't tell people who are quite older than you that we "need to learn a little car history." Especially on a car forum thats just asking for trouble.

metalsyth
Car: 2001 Nissan Altima

outcastcat wrote:note: the vette is a sports car, not a muscle car.
I for one do not believe this comment. You mean to tell me that a Corvette Stingray with a 427 multiport fuel injected is not a muscle car?

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

so Jesda, how long until GM goes under?

this thread is teh muchas entertainment

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

Jesda wrote:Pony cars have horse names. I've yet to see a breed of horse named STi and EVO.
except the Camaro, Firebird, Challenger, and Barracuda

outcastcat

The original mustang was not a muscle car. it was a pony car. Closely related, but smaller. Thats why if u look at some muscle car forums its debated whethere its big brothers (boss, shelby and mach 1) are muscle cars.

Hmm. How did the mustang originally become amuscle car? Only its option versions had a lot of power, such as the Boss, Shelby, and Mach 1. The original didnt. How come in every classic car person ive ever talked too who knew what they were talking about refer to it as a "PONY" car. A pony car is a car version. You would not compare a mustang to a charger, they are in two different classes. Why have I seen entire 1 hour shows dedicated to muscle cars, mention that the GTO in 1963 was the FIRST TRUE muscle car. The first car built in that style. It was a stripped car with a big engine. The old mustang was a muscle car because IT WAS BIG. It was a midsize. the new mustang is SMALLER. it might make more power but thats not the point. the 454, despite being a POS as u say it is, is still a power engine. A 454, properly modded, will ALWAYS beat a 427 because ITS BIGGER.Ignore my cav comment, but to my credit, the SRT/4 is one of the fastest street cars under 20k, including every jap car on the market. Why? it has a 2.4L. and a turbo

A PONY car is a class, and it has a different target audience and its own rivalries (namely, camaro vs. mustang). Nobody talks about mustang vs. impala FOR A REASON! Maybe i should go back to the muscle car forums. they knew what they were talking about when they talked about these nuances of car history.

I said the shelby shared traits with a sports car (its creator is a racer turned mechanic). It is a muscle car. But its got suspension. And breaks. Most muscle cars could go in a strait line (the Mach 1 was only good at that). and not much else. Shelby's car was an all around performer. thats rare in muscle cars.
Modified by outcastcat at 4:38 PM 4/19/2005

outcastcat

Mr1der wrote:
except the Camaro, Firebird, Challenger, and Barracuda
Mr1der knws what hes talking about. Each one of those is a pony car. Notice he didnt mention many other "muscle" cars. His list isnt accidental.

I was wondering, musing really, if what is a "pony" car in the true sense could be broadened to include STi. But thats a discussion for the muscle car forums where nuances of classic history mean something.

outcastcat

metalsyth wrote:
I for one do not believe this comment. You mean to tell me that a Corvette Stingray with a 427 multiport fuel injected is not a muscle car?
Yep. Its just a bitchin fast sports car with muscle car blood brothers. Cars sometimes blend catagories

Example: THe viper. An 8.3L V10 with 500 hp in the car. Is it a muscle car? no, its a sports car.

Same with todays vettes. You can buy a vette for the price of a lotus or even porsche boxster, and it has twice the power. but the vette still isnt a muslce car.

Its just how americans do sports cars. With big beefy engines.

outcastcat

I will relent that the CAV comment was stupid. once again. i told u to ignore it. WHY did i say it?

Because with a lot of modification, eventually the honda wouldnt keep up. thats a lot of money, but eventually was what i was tlaking about. i guess i didnt make that clear enough. half a litre is nothing, until it comes to the very edge of performance, cause at some point a smaller motor can no longer compensate. However with Hona/toyota/nissans build quality and chevys usual lack there of, that place will always be A LONG WAY OFF. So whats that mean? Buy a honda/toyota/NISSAN.

BB Turbo

lol, this outcastkid is f'in hilarious

outcast, you make me smile
Modified by BB Turbo at 11:18 PM 4/19/2005

Jesda

Barracudas are fish, not horses. It targetted the pony cars, so only by a marketing accident could it have been considered one.

Return to “Others”