2012 M35h bulb replacements, trunk light and interior courtesy light not working

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
fernicus
Car: 2006 Infiniti m35x

Hey guys,
Posted here previously when I first got my 2012 Hybrid and love it. My cousins mechanic hubby said that Infiniti's have had a history of electrical issues so he told me be careful and lo and behold, I'm having them.
From the day when I bought the car used, the trunk light hasn't worked. Bulb is fine so must be a fuse. Also the interior courtesy light in the car doesn't work ie. when I first enter car, it doesn't turn on. Is there a fuse that operates both of the trunk light and the interior courtesy's? I can't see that being possible but you never know. Anyone know which fuse and what is the exact name/location? thanks

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Moving this to the correct sub-forum so you'll get more assistance.

Do any of the interior lights turn on when the door is open? Or only when you manually push the button(s)?

Has any work been done recently to the car? Such as trying to install LED bulbs, etc.?

fernicus

Hi Ilya
yes I had tried to replace interior lights with LEDS and had to replace some fuses when I bought it. No, none of the lights comes on when I enter the car. Is there a pattern or an easy fix ?

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

fernicus wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:45 am
yes I had tried to replace interior lights with LEDS and had to replace some fuses when I bought it. No, none of the lights comes on when I enter the car. Is there a pattern or an easy fix ?
Something as simple as changing interior bulbs to LEDs can fry a electronic or body control module (ECM/BCM). I believe it's happened to Ilya, I know I've done it and am pretty sure there are a couple of other fellas that it's happened to. I have learned to disconnect the battery when doing ANYTHING electrical in my car. Since then I've hard wired a radar detector to my rearview mirror, installed a fuse tap at the fuse box to power a separate 12v socket, and changed the color of the LEDs in my start button without any issues.

I believe the interior lights fuse is in the LEFT side driver footwell, there is a small panel there that you remove and then you'll see it, see this thread: post6754745.html?hilit=fuse#p6754745
Hopefully it's just a fuse, but if the fuse is okay, you might be in a little trouble, unless you have an extended warranty.

Craig

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yep, this was an expensive fix but I had warranty at the time. They had to replace the BCM + one or two dash harnesses and the total was like $5k in work. Maybe more.

fernicus

Really? What fuse is associated with the trunklight then on my car? is it the stoplampfuse or? None of the fuses specifiy trunklight. Also, all the interiors work except for the courtesy lights within car, so when I open doors they don't turn on but they do work when I depress the switches. How do I check if its the BCM.ECM? and can i repair?

Ilya

It would be the fuse labeled interior. Not trunk light.

If you car is doing the following, you have the same issue I and a few other people did:

Interior lights work when buttons are manually depressed but will NOT work with the door open and in 'auto' mode. If you have that symptom, you will not be able to fix this yourself. You will either need to learn to live with it or have an expensive repair done. Just replacing the BCM won't help you (I did that, did not fix my issue as I had dash harness that were melted/damaged from the short circuit).

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Ilya wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:29 pm
Interior lights work when buttons are manually depressed but will NOT work with the door open and in 'auto' mode. If you have that symptom, you will not be able to fix this yourself. You will either need to learn to live with it or have an expensive repair done. Just replacing the BCM won't help you (I did that, did not fix my issue as I had dash harness that were melted/damaged from the short circuit).
My problem was the same, so Infiniti tech tried:

Map light assembly replaced: not fixed
BCM replaced: not fixed
Pin 148 of connector M23 behind dash found to be blackened/burnt causing open circuit, replaced: Problem FIXED!!!

Hopefully that's not your issue. Right now my footwell lights aren't working, and I don't have an extended warranty and it's not the fuse. So I bought some bluetooth controlled LED light strips that hook into a 12v female outlet I hooked up with an add-a-fuse connector to the driver footwell fuse panel. It lets me choose from a zillion colors/custom via an app through my phone, but I have set on blue, to match my start button. They don't come on when I open my doors, only when I start the car. I guess I could wire them into my door courtesy lights or the door sill lights, but I don't feel like taking all those panels apart.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I'm not familiar with any 'history' of electrical issues on Infiniti cars. If you look at the sheer size of this site and the countless members, then consider that the only electrical issues reported have basically been self inflicted, seems your hubby mechanic person is misinformed. Some of us have indeed experienced electrical issues when upgrading to LED bulbs, myself included. I once blew 3 (yes 3) fuses at once whilst installing LEDs in my dome lamp. They were the three fuses across the center of the bottom row of the driver's side fuse box. It is quite possible you caused similar damage upgrading your lamps to LEDs as well. First thing to check is that bottom row of fuses in the driver side box. Especially the three in in the center of that bottom row. For my car they control the dash lights, seats, steering wheel, and interior lights.

fernicus

so I'm now feeling as if this will be an intense expensive issue to fix. The ahem gent that sold me this car lied about it and of course amongst other things didnt' tell me about the lighting issues. I thought it was just a bulb in the trunk but was wrong. There is no power going through after testing the trunk with a circuit tester and all the cabin lights work except for the lights when opening the door ie courtesy or when using key fob to open door. The lighter itself was an issue until I changed the fuse and now when I depress the lighter, it pops up immediately. I'm wondering if suggested here I should try testing each fuse but seems that won't work seeing as cabin lights still work perfectly. Damn....... bringing it to mechanic next week. I can live with these things but still nice to have. I even ordered leds for the car online from ebay and they don't fit the damn car! Do you guys think swapping out and testing all fuses will hold some hope?

Ilya

fernicus wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:40 am
so I'm now feeling as if this will be an intense expensive issue to fix. The ahem gent that sold me this car lied about it and of course amongst other things didnt' tell me about the lighting issues. I thought it was just a bulb in the trunk but was wrong. There is no power going through after testing the trunk with a circuit tester and all the cabin lights work except for the lights when opening the door ie courtesy or when using key fob to open door. The lighter itself was an issue until I changed the fuse and now when I depress the lighter, it pops up immediately. I'm wondering if suggested here I should try testing each fuse but seems that won't work seeing as cabin lights still work perfectly. Damn....... bringing it to mechanic next week. I can live with these things but still nice to have. I even ordered leds for the car online from ebay and they don't fit the damn car! Do you guys think swapping out and testing all fuses will hold some hope?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you're in the same boat that I and a few others experienced. I'm not sure why Infiniti didn't properly fuse the lighting system on this car but your only way of fixing it is likely what I had to go through. Changing bulbs, fuses, etc. will not do much if anything. But it's worth a shot I suppose, can't get worse lol. Just unplug the battery this time lol (previous owner probably didn't).

fernicus

thanks, had a feeling its the worse case scenario than the best. Didn't have this problem on my other cars unfortunately so does put a blackmark on Infiniti. My mechanic/family friend told me to proceed with caution also. Yesterday, as our Canadian climate is apt to do - ie cold, I turned on the heater and ....... nothing. No heat just AC. Perhaps im using the controls incorrectly. Pressed auto on climate and just cold air. sigh. Perhaps a separate fuse for that also than the AC? Have to check today. LMK if u guys and thanks.

Ilya

I can't help with the AC...that system is over my head. But that's unfortunate someone lied to you and you bought a lemon (due to previous owner).

I love Infiniti's and will be getting one for the wife in a year or so (QX70).

fernicus

one thing after another..... so i go into the engine compartment to check out my IPDM fusebox and i remove the IPDM relay fuse for the front lights, and dash lights and...... f****en dropped it into the engine compartment. So now I don't have front headlights which is very dangerous obvi. Everywhere I've looked including Infiniti dealer said they only sell complete IPDM box, not just the fuse! ridiculous because it costs approx 200 and up. Can I just buy the IPDM relay/fuse which is a 60a one from somewhere online instead and where? anyone? man, electrical issues galore although my own stupidity this time. Thanks!

EdBwoy

How far into the abyss did it fall? It's gotta be somewhere in there, slap the bottom of the undertray to see if it jumps around.
But let me see what I got on the shelf. What color/ approx size was the fuse?

Ilya

I once lost a set of pliers like that. NO IDEA where it went or if they ever came out. For all I know, they are still lodged somewhere riding alone for the last 20kmi lol.

Do what Ed suggested and slap the bottom of the undertray, etc.

fernicus

Hi Edwboy,
it's the IPDM fuse 60A. It runs the headlights and during todays storm here in TO, I found out it also controls the wipers and the interior dash lights. sigh, Great. Can;t find anywhere and Infiniti wanted 150 to assess the mfer. I love the car but this is really putting a damper on our love affair. Mechanic that checked out my car said also it may be the ECM/BCM and showed me a whole wiring diagram to indicate. he said that needed to be repaired and also the drivers side heat doesn't work also and that's a whole day taking off the dash to repair. Cost of just these repairs with no guarantee of repairing trunk or courtesy light? 1300 cdn. jeez..... I still love the car but man, my Lexus was bulletproof compared to this baby. Next time, buy new, Peter.

Ilya

Still no luck finding the dropped fuse? Lifted it and remove the undertray, etc.?

fernicus

yeah, brought it into a shop and he coulldn't find the bloody bulb. Also, the drivers side heat isn't working and that in itself will cost alot of $ to repair along with the IPDM fuse and the non functioning courtesy light and trunk light. man.....

Ilya

Too bad we can't go after private sale parties when they hide the condition of a car or flat out lie about it. Lots of notes to self at your expense. I feel for ya man.

fernicus

yes, it is too bad. the lights don't go on as I stated both in trunk and inside car ie courtesy, but now I find out that the drivers side heat doesn't work which I think I stated above. Great. So now I crank up the passengers side to get heat. Mechanic told me that a bulletin states that there is wiring issues and he states that the actuator on the drivers side needs to be replaced. He states also that it could be wiring for both lights and actuator are in the same string/region and they could be making contact and exposed therefore causing both of these issues. Possible? not sure. approx. $1000 Cdn to repair. Great.....

fernicus

hi guys,
as a followup, now with the colder weather upon us, noticed that the heat on drivers side not working and the passenger side is working but not great. Lights in cabin and trunk still gone. Any thoughts what this might be? Someone suggested that the problem may lie with the wiring for actuator and that its all located in the same string/batch/area so the wires for lighting and heat may be rubbing against each other or shorting each other. Possible? Anyone have this issue before with the Infiniti? again, love the car but damn.......

Ilya

The heat part is not something we've seen as a result of the shorting of the lights...it could be coincidence or related...you're the first that I've seen with this combination of issues.

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

According to the factory repair manual, the BCM controls interior lighting and it also sends input to the A/C auto amp. which monitors the motor that determines the appropriate upper ventilator door position. It appears that the A/C auto amp. also monitors the intake door motor, the blower unit power transistor, both air mix door motors, both mode door motors, the rear mode door motor and the upper ventilator door motor.

From pg 11 of 2013 factory repair manual, HAC (Heater & Air Conditioning Control System):
Air mix door motor for both (driver side and passenger side) consists of motor that drives door and PBR (Potentio Balance Register) that detects door position.
According to PBR feedback signal, A/C auto amp monitors that motor is in an appropriate door position

From pg 13
The upper ventilator door motor consists of a motor that drives door and PBR that detects door position.
Motor operates upper ventilator door according to control signal from A/C auto amp.
PBR trnsmits PBR feedback signal to A/C auto amp. according to motor position.

From pg 6, INL (Interior Lighting System):
Interior room lamps are controlled by interior room lamp timer control function of BCM
Trunk room lamp is controlled by trunk lamp control function of BCM

Prolly need to look into the BCM as a potential cause for both issues, although it could be that separate individual dash harnesses could be affecting each system.

fernicus

ok, so it's just - hopefully - a matter of replacing the BCM on my hybrid. Looked online and couldn't find how to test if BCM, manuals for location to replace, or any general help to show how to do it. Does anyone know where it is? thanks

fernicus

anyone? :)

EdBwoy

For the BCM, info should be located in the FSM. I believe a lot of different sections reference it, so I'd go to the IDX - index or foreword section and type BCM in the search bar. That should tell you what pages and sections to find it exactly.

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

It's on page 63 of the Body Control System section of the FSM for the 2013 M37/56.

The BCM is on the LEFT side of the steering column in the instrument lower panel.

The lower panel is easily removed, look at the first couple of steps of How To & FAQ for Installing the Fortin Remote Start: how-to-install-fortin-remote-start-2012 ... 13141.html
You can see the BCM identified in step #10
There are several screws and connectors that need to be removed.

The FSM states:
BEFORE REPLACEMENT
Whe replacing the BCM, save or print current vehicle specification with CONSULT configuration before replacement.
NOTE:
If "READ CONFIGURATION" can not be used, use the "WRITE CONFIGURATION - Manual selection" after replacing the BCM

AFTER REPLACEMENT
CAUTION:
When replacing the BCM, always perform "WRITE CONFIGURATION" with CONSULT. Or not doing so, BCM control function does not operate normally.
* Complete the procedure of "WRITE CONFIGURATION" in order
* Configuration is different for each vehicle model. Confirm configuration of each vehicle model.
* If you set incorrect "WRITE CONFIGURATION", incident might occur.

Hope this helps

good luck,

Craig

Ilya

Doesn't the BCM need to be reprogrammed? Don't the keys talk to it? My memory is fuzzy but I could be wrong too. So if you just plug in another BCM, it might fix the lights or AC but you'll have other issues.

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Ilya wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:44 pm
Doesn't the BCM need to be reprogrammed? Don't the keys talk to it? My memory is fuzzy but I could be wrong too. So if you just plug in another BCM, it might fix the lights or AC but you'll have other issues.
I think that is what the FSM is trying to describe with the "READ" and "WRITE CONFIGURATION" steps with the Consult device prior to replacing the BCM. You need to store all your model's particular info prior to the swap so that you can reprogram all that data back into the new, swapped out BCM. So you need a Consult device or other OBD2 diagnostic/programmer device that can program ECUs and other modules (I have been looking at devices other than the Consult to see if there are cheaper alternatives - Autel Maxisys Pro MS908P, looks promising but it is over 2 grand and I'm not sure if it can reprogram a Nissan/Infiniti BCM
I was looking at an old thread in the M35/45 forums where Cruzader or Jhuerto asked the same question about an alternative to the consult and someone mentioned Auto Enginuity's product - but reviews have been somewhat mixed as to usefulness and again, I don't know if it is capable of reprogramming a Nissan/Infiniti BCM

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”