Auxilary fan installed

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

Something I discussed earlier and deemed necessary. So now I did it, an aux fan since I had problems in extreme conditions in both traffic and on steep, slow 4WD grades. Since I'm a BMW guy it came out of some BMW, though I can't recall which one, probably E32 or E34. It's a tight fit behind the hood latch support, but it does have some room. I used 1/4" fuel line, split on the back of the frame, glued on with polyurethane caulking to prevent abrasion on the condenser, even though I don't think it's actually contacting it anywhere. Since it was a 2 speed fan which normally used low for A/C and high for high temp, I did the same installing a fan controller. Pulled power off a terminal in the fusebox marked of all things Aux fan, with a fuse inline withing an inch or so.

Before

The fan installed

The fan running

Controls weren't as simple as they could be since I elected to use low speed for A/C operation and high speed off a fan controller. But it works.

Kev90
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Looking good!! I like the 2 speed setup, I assume it typically always runs in low speed mode. My A/C works much better after installing my own aux fans. Surprises me that Nissan didn't have them installed except for the Middle East.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

Currently I've got it set up so low speed comes on with the A/C compressor. High speed comes on when it gets hot (although I don't have a good calibration on it yet) but only when the A/C is on. Partly since it's most likely to need it then, but mostly because I haven't seen a good place to pick up ignition switched 12V for it yet. And everything is fused including the lead coming off the A/C compressor, so if I get a rub out, even though all the wiring is sleeved, the fan would stop but everything else would keep working. I'll find switched 12V sometime, but it's tougher than the old days where I could just pull it off the coil.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”