Potential m35x owner! what to look for

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Crazy_eyes69

So I plan on purchasing a m35x and was wondering what to look for when i check it out.

Link to ad (https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 18533.html)

car was purchased in 2009 and has had the same owner since. Maintenance items so far include brakes, tires and oil changes. female driver (lol I dont know if that matters but its worth noting)

So aside from that, what about common problems you guys see with these cars as well? I know I should search the forum for this but I'm strapped for time and would love from direct feedback!

Thanks!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to the forum.

I would check the front seats/seat tracks/brackets...there was a known issue on many of the cars where (at least) the driver side seat would move back or forward under heavy acceleration or braking. If you find this issue, lower the price accordingly.

Other than that, the V6 version is pretty robust so just look for all of the usual things like rust, etc.

EdBwoy

The car looks good from the pictures. They have the elusive and desired sport kit installed too. I'll try to find some threads where common things to look out for are discussed.
One thing that I don't commonly see mentioned is oil consumption on some of the V6 engines. If the notes are available, look out for any mention of that. Or just look at the dipstick and see how low it is, compared to how long ago oil was changed etc...

Crazy_eyes69 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:20 am
... female driver (lol I dont know if that matters but its worth noting)...
I chuckled at this.
Actually, it does matter who usually drives/ who owns the car you're about to buy. Not just gender but, yes no 2 people treat property the same way. We did an exercise in a human psychology class that kinda justified that.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I always chuckle at the female owned part too...

Sure, female owned might suggest it wasn't ripped on WOT at every light like my M56...but female owned also might mean the oil was changed at 20kmi intervals whenever she remembered and not 5kmi (even though I use synthetic which could be extended to 7.5kmi) intervals lol. Not all women, but many are oblivious to car maintenance, proper intervals, etc. Unless they have a daddy or a hubby who kept track. I know my wife has no idea (still love her too death lol).

Car looks fine on my browser, but best to definitely inspect the fluids, etc. when there in person for sure.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

This was from a post of mine when another potential buyer asked about purchasing a high mileage M35X
(italicized comments are new)

I would start by asking to see the service records, if available, to check if there have been any nagging/recurrent problems or issues
1. burning oil? (not usually an issue with the VQ engine (M35), more with the VK engine (M45)
2. when were the brakes last replaced?-- OEM brakes seem small for a car this heavy and lots of guys have gone to aftermarket pads and rotors, or if you've got the cash - upgraded to the Akebono big brake kit (BBK)
3. have they upgraded the Nav disk? in the summer, sometimes will go on sale and you can get a good deal if it's been several years since its last update
4. did they do the accelerator pedal/ECM reprogram (factory recall)?
5. Don't forget the new Nissan/Infiniti issue that has created an extended warranty letter: Evaporative emission vapor vent tube
When filling your gas tank, the pump will stop like your tank is full, but it really hasn't been filled up and the pump will still shut off each time you attempt to pump more gas

6. Issues with auto-leveling headlights not working (you'll hear a high-pitched whining sound near the front of the car)
7. Issues with side mirror motors failing (when you put your car in reverse, if the selection switch is on the mirror in question, it will automatically move and should return to its normal position after putting in back into drive/park - if the motors are failing, the mirror will stay stuck in the downward position)
8. When were differential fluids changed?
9. Some folks had issues with Bluetooth phone call sound quality, I believe there was a technical service bulletin for replacing/relocating the bluetooth microphone
10. I'd inspect your suspension components, steering linkages, etc. to make sure they're good in a car with over 100k on the clock
11. Make sure the electronic components work ok: voice recognition, the seats move up/down/forward/back, heated and cooled seats work, etc.

overall the VQ engines seem to have fewer problems compared to the VK (wrt oil consumption) although, I owned a 2006 M45 that had over 100,000 miles (daily driver with highway and city miles) on it and I've had 0 problems with the engine.

few folks have had valve cover/seals leak

maybe some M35x guys can chime in if there are specific all-wheel drive issues that have bothered them...

gl with the process, and if you end up buying - Welcome to NICO!!

Craig

Crazy_eyes69

Well the oil consumption may be tough to figure out considering she changed it last weekend along with the brakes. Its too bad there isnt any service records available, it's also nice to have that peice of mind. As far as the recall goes I should definitely ask. Do you guys think 7k is a bit much? I was thinking more like $6500 given the age and mileage. What do i know though lol im just a cheap bastard

Thanks for the input!

rednelb

EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 am
The car looks good from the pictures. They have the elusive and desired sport kit installed too.
How can you tell it has a sport kit installed? Am I missing something?

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

rednelb wrote: How can you tell it has a sport kit installed? Am I missing something?
It's actually called the aero kit, Sport version vs non-Sport version has several other differences, not just cosmetic.

The aero kit consists of (4 pieces):
1. The front bumper has the front lip at the bottom (1)
2. The side skirts have a little flare out towards the rear tire (2)
3. There is also a rear piece as well (1)

M with aero kit

M withOUT aero kit

I don't think you can get the aero kit any more from the manufacturer.

Craig

EdBwoy

^^What he said.

And the 2 pics posted are now "sport" models, at least aesthetically.
19" wheels on the first one, dark headlight housings etc... most of the cosmetics can be installed to a non-sport model, but the rear active steer is more involving.

Have you had a chance to go look at it? The price doesn't sound bad, for a well kept example

Crazy_eyes69

well It sold an hour before I got to check it out! although I did just purchase a 04 g35x!

MikeM35
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 S

2014 Jaguar XK

How can I check to see if the previous owners (2) of my 2006 M35 brought it in for recalls and TSB?

Ilya

MikeM35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:07 am
How can I check to see if the previous owners (2) of my 2006 M35 brought it in for recalls and TSB?
You can use your VIN and local dealership to get that information.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”