Valvoline CVT Fluid

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

There's been some questions on using aftermarket CVT fluids such as Valvoline CVT fluid. Here is the product on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ4FGIK/

I am happy to confirm that this Valvoline CVT fluid works for my 2008 Nissan Rogue with 101K+ miles on the odometer. I did a full flush and fill as compare to drain and fill normally performed by dealerships. I ran 10 quarts through the transmission cooler lines and replaced all 10 quarts with Valvoline brand CVT fluid. Everything works without any issue. I have driven 100 miles so far and RPM idles lower and much quieter. The old CVT fluid looks almost black like old brake fluid even with just 20k+ old on it. I had my whole CVT tranny replaced 20k+ miles ago due to CVT whine issue so the color might be from the replacement CVT in a break-in process. Not to mention, I have also added an auxiliary transmission cooler few weeks prior so the new mini radiator may have contributed to the dark CVT fluid (i.e. contamination from aux radiator).

For this process,
1) I extracted out all 4+ quarts from the dipstick/charging port using an oil extractor such as this.
2) Replaced with 4 quarts of Valvoline CVT fluid using the dipstick fill tube.
3) Took off the bumper and disconnected the lower hose from the Auxiliary cooler line and connected a 3/8" transmission hose from the radiator to a container.
4) Start the car engine and watch the container closely for 3-quart mark.
5) Shut off engine immediately and fill 3 quarts of Valvoline CVT fluid through the dipstick.
6) Clear your container and repeat steps 4 & 5 one more time.
7) By now, you should have cleared out 4 quarts from the pan plus 6 quarts (3 quarts x2) through the cooler lines for a total of 10 quarts.
8) Put back all the hoses and check CVT level to be no more than 3/4 of the hash mark while running through all gears and transmission fluid is hot.

I checked again after mix driving speeds for 20 minutes and was more than 3/4 level on the hash mark, so I disconnected one of the ports from the cooler block (after taking out the air intake parts) and route the disconnected hose to an empty quart container. Start up the engine, count 3 seconds and shut off. That drained about 350 ml of fluid. CVT level is now spot on showing quarter hash mark on the dipstick while CVT fluid temp is hot. I'd rather have it on the lower end since fluid can expand and can get aerated when overfilled.

I am happy that I spent less than $100 for this full flush and fill and knowing that the job was done right. This can be done by one person like I did. Just watch your container jug closely and run to shut off the engine as soon as it hit the 3 quart mark.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Out of curiousity, when you initially let the car run to extract 3 quarts, what was the reasoning behind that number? Is it the amount that cycles through the transmisser cooler/etc., hence you have an "extra" 3 quarts in the system when the transmission cooler is disconnected?

kots1

TrevorK wrote:Out of curiousity, when you initially let the car run to extract 3 quarts, what was the reasoning behind that number? Is it the amount that cycles through the transmisser cooler/etc., hence you have an "extra" 3 quarts in the system when the transmission cooler is disconnected?
I read through Murano and Sentra forums and they advised doing 1 quart at a time. I think that was overkill. The reasoning is so you don't run your CVT dry - it can't anyway without anymore fluid pushing from the pan. There are 4+ quarts in the pan so taking out 3-quart at a time would still leave you 1+ quart to pump from the pan to the tranny as your reserve. The tranny itself hold 7.9 quarts total so by taking out 3 quarts, that leaves 4 quarts in the torque converter/CVT and 1 quart in the pan.

I know for other cars, you can flush by just running the engine with the cooler hose disconnected until the fluid that comes out start to sputter which would mean that the tranny pan is empty or close to empty. You only do one cycle of flush and fill.

For this one, I did 3 quarts a time since I don't know the dynamics of CVT versus traditional auto and rather be on the safe side with making sure there's at least 1 quart in the pan to pump to CVT and I do not let it run dry. It's similar to how you bleed your brakes. You don't want to let it run dry or introduce air to your system.

The hoses and aux cooler/radiator holds no more than half quart. That's the amount I had to add when I installed the aux cooler and additional hoses.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Thanks for the explanation, I knew there was a reason behind the 3 quarts because it seemed like an odd number to randomly pick.

ray9898
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra

Good to know. I just ordered some of this fluid myself for a drain and fill next weekend. I have read nothing but good things about it and the price can't be beat.

kots1

still going strong and no issues with my Valvoline CVT full flush and fill. i was driving about 1 hour 20 minutes last Saturday on 105 degree heat in Los Angeles. Doing average 65 mph+ (even momentarily over 90 mph+) without issues all throughout the trip.

I stopped by a gas station to fill-up but checked my CVT fluid level prior to shutting off my engine. CVT fluid looks clean, no aeration and level is spot on and didn't see any increase or expansion from the hot weather and duration of driving. I have to disclose that I also have an external CVT cooler + external fan setup so that might be one of the factors too.

I still highly recommend the Valvoline CVT fluid as an alternative to the more expensive Nissan NS-2.

08roguesl
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Can u shoot me link for the fan cooler install

kots1

08roguesl wrote:Can u shoot me link for the fan cooler install
topic600970.html

Actual install video by ImStricken starts on page 2.

chevyman66
Car: 2011 Rogue
2001 Aztek
72 El Camino
84 Chevy pickup

kots1 wrote:still going strong and no issues with my Valvoline CVT full flush and fill. i was driving about 1 hour 20 minutes last Saturday on 105 degree heat in Los Angeles. Doing average 65 mph+ (even momentarily over 90 mph+) without issues all throughout the trip.

I stopped by a gas station to fill-up but checked my CVT fluid level prior to shutting off my engine. CVT fluid looks clean, no aeration and level is spot on and didn't see any increase or expansion from the hot weather and duration of driving. I have to disclose that I also have an external CVT cooler + external fan setup so that might be one of the factors too.

I still highly recommend the Valvoline CVT fluid as an alternative to the more expensive Nissan NS-2.
So kots1, its sept 28, is the valvoline cvt fluid still going good in youre rogue? Need to do a flush and work at a valvoline, ( so i can get a great deal on the fluid ) but i still not sure about the fluid, seeing its not "nissan approved". Just wondering if you have had any adverse affects from using this aftermarket fluid.

Cheers

kots1

chevyman66 wrote: So kots1, its sept 28, is the valvoline cvt fluid still going good in youre rogue? Need to do a flush and work at a valvoline, ( so i can get a great deal on the fluid ) but i still not sure about the fluid, seeing its not "nissan approved". Just wondering if you have had any adverse affects from using this aftermarket fluid.

Cheers
No adverse effect at all. If anything, I think it performs better. We had record heat wave here in SoCal for few months now and I have yet to hear a hint of whine from the CVT during long drive and hilly areas. Everything is going strong since I flushed the CVT fluid and upgraded my transmission cooler. Loving this car now. I would highly recommend Valvoline CVT fluid. Just be sure you get the right one (NS-2 compatible) and double/triple check the fluid level to be quarter hash mark on the dipstick while CVT fluid temp is hot and engine running.

chevyman66
2001 Aztek
72 El Camino
84 Chevy pickup

kots1 wrote:
chevyman66 wrote: So kots1, its sept 28, is the valvoline cvt fluid still going good in youre rogue? Need to do a flush and work at a valvoline, ( so i can get a great deal on the fluid ) but i still not sure about the fluid, seeing its not "nissan approved". Just wondering if you have had any adverse affects from using this aftermarket fluid.

Cheers
No adverse effect at all. If anything, I think it performs better. We had record heat wave here in SoCal for few months now and I have yet to hear a hint of whine from the CVT during long drive and hilly areas. Everything is going strong since I flushed the CVT fluid and upgraded my transmission cooler. Loving this car now. I would highly recommend Valvoline CVT fluid. Just be sure you get the right one (NS-2 compatible) and double/triple check the fluid level to be quarter hash mark on the dipstick while CVT fluid temp is hot and engine running.

Good to hear man and thanks for the fast reply, i dont think mine has a cooler on it so can you recommend a good place to unhook the return line to flush?

kots1

chevyman66 wrote: Good to hear man and thanks for the fast reply, i dont think mine has a cooler on it so can you recommend a good place to unhook the return line to flush?
There's really no easy way to do a proper full flush without a return line. An alternative option is to do drain and fill or even multiple drain and fill to cycle out most of the old fluid. I have great success using this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU0MMU

From my original post:
1) I extracted out all 4+ quarts from the dipstick/charging port using an oil extractor such as this.

chevyman66
2001 Aztek
72 El Camino
84 Chevy pickup

Well a little update, i just got done doing my cvt "kinda" flush about a month ago exactly. I do have to say my fluid was dark and funky when draining it. I havent messed with it since ive had the car, bought at 36k used. I had 106000 miles on it when i drained it out. The cvt would whine bad before the change and it went into limp mode once on me coming back from florida this summer in 98 degree heat. When i drained it i, too, was over full on the dipstick ( cant believe how bad nissan failed on putting in the proper amount of fluid from the get-go ).

So my process was to pull the ghost, my rogues name, into the shop and do a drain and fill. Got done doing it and drove around about half hr. Then i pulled the ghost back in and did a 2nd drain and fill. My car feels 100% better after doing this. No more whining, shifts much smoother and seems to be more powerful on take off. I am super pleased with the results.

I highly recommend to do the fluid change if you need it. All in all i would not hesitate to use the Valvoline CVT fluid again. The only thing i regret is not being able to do a "full" flush on it. Once i put my CVT cooler and fan mod in next summer i will once again do a total flush on it.

kots1

chevyman66 wrote:Well a little update, i just got done doing my cvt "kinda" flush about a month ago exactly. I do have to say my fluid was dark and funky when draining it. I havent messed with it since ive had the car, bought at 36k used. I had 106000 miles on it when i drained it out. The cvt would whine bad before the change and it went into limp mode once on me coming back from florida this summer in 98 degree heat. When i drained it i, too, was over full on the dipstick ( cant believe how bad nissan failed on putting in the proper amount of fluid from the get-go ).

So my process was to pull the ghost, my rogues name, into the shop and do a drain and fill. Got done doing it and drove around about half hr. Then i pulled the ghost back in and did a 2nd drain and fill. My car feels 100% better after doing this. No more whining, shifts much smoother and seems to be more powerful on take off. I am super pleased with the results.

I highly recommend to do the fluid change if you need it. All in all i would not hesitate to use the Valvoline CVT fluid again. The only thing i regret is not being able to do a "full" flush on it. Once i put my CVT cooler and fan mod in next summer i will once again do a total flush on it.
How many quarts did you end up using? Did you drain from the bottom pan or extract it from the dip stick?

chevyman66
2001 Aztek
72 El Camino
84 Chevy pickup

Hey kots1, i drained out about 4 3/4 of a quart. I only put back in about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 quarts. The way i went about it was pull the plug on the pan, got a few new crush washers and torque it back down. I let it drain for about 20 minutes to get it all. I didnt think about shifting the lever to get a bit more out, atleast thats what i read. I would have but oh well. Like i said when spring rolls around im gonna add the cooler block, cooler and fan to it for the upcoming summer. I just love messing with cars. Really though i havent had to do much to the ghost, i change the oil every 4000 miles with synthetic and a bosch distance plus filter, keep my air filter clean and just regular maintenance. Changing the blower motor out was pretty easy, tight but easy. I think thats the only thing ive had to do. Although i need to do a coolant fluah and gonna flush the brake lines next week. Other than that its been a pretty good car

By the way, thanks for being the guinea pig on the valvoline cvt fluid. I see no problems with it

tikblang
Car: 2009 Rogue S

Hello -

I think I am doing this CVT oil change. Is this as easy as changing engine oil - less the oil filter change? Thanks kots1 for a detailed information that there still a hope for my Rogue. Today, I contacted Hooman (Signal Hills, CA) and Glendale Nissan (via a chat) asking for a quote and both are not responding.

I think I have to do this task myself. My car has 139,222 miles and the whole tranny replaced by the dealer when it had 75K. Now it is giving me the loss of power after 3 hours of driving going to Vegas. I cannot drive it more than 30 miles an hour when going uphill.

If I ended up doing it, where can I pour the CVT oil? Also what is the part number of the washer (crush) and where it is located. Should I buy Seven quarts and waste one quart to flush the old oil?

Thanks for helping. Tik

kots1

Tik,

I don't know where the CVT drain plug. I use an extractor to suck out the old oil from the transmission dip stick. Also, I have a transmission oil cooler installed where I can drain from the return line. Since you have the S trim, I believe you don't have the oil cooler so can use this option described on my previous post:
kots1 wrote:
chevyman66 wrote: Good to hear man and thanks for the fast reply, i dont think mine has a cooler on it so can you recommend a good place to unhook the return line to flush?
There's really no easy way to do a proper full flush without a return line. An alternative option is to do drain and fill or even multiple drain and fill to cycle out most of the old fluid. I have great success using this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU0MMU

From my original post:
You fill the CVT through the CVT dipstick (green). The CVT hold 7.9 quarts so you will need more than 7 quarts if you intend to do a full drain.

tikblang

Thank you so much Kots1 - Just spoke with both dealers today and they are quoting me with ~=$200 for a flush and refill. Hooman in (Spring, Signal Hil)l is 10 dollars cheaper (190) than in Glendale (Brand BLV of Cars), and Nissan of Duarte is $299 plus tax.

The reason I want to change them is I feel very much sorry when my car is (a lot) slower than a ten wheeler when climbing uphill. So I think it is better to have the dealer do it since I'm not a mechanic. Thanks a lot..

kots1

Tik, that sounds reasonable and unusually low. Nissan NS-2 cost $20 /quart and you need 8 quarts. I would imagine that dealerships use NS-2 only. Fluid alone is $160. Are you sure this is a flush and fill not just drain and fill?

tikblang

Yes Kots1 - I mentioned "Flush and Refill" of CVT fluid when I called the dealer. Also I have this Open Recall Campaign on my 2009 Rogue, Will they replace my Cat Manifold? I read somewhere that if the mileage is high, they might replace it. California is very strict on air quality.

NTB-14-092 Description: NISSAN: ECM Reprogramming
NTB-14-092 NHTSA Reference #10043950 #10054516 NTB-14-092

Coupon for Oil Change
m.nissanyourservice.net/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=nGkDF9z4pBkdSvU5eP2QgQ%3D%3D

Thanks again,

tikblang

Just for the record, I paid $215 (total - meaningTAX inclusive) for CVT Fluid Service, Oil Change and ECM reprogramming at Glendale Nissan ( I live 1 mile away from this dealer). They charged me 6 quarts @19.99 and $65 labor, to do the CVT Transmission fluid service.

f15Sentra
Car: 2009 Nissan Sentra - 2011 Rouge - 2010 Maxima

Quick question, I getting ready to the CVT fluid change. But I am confused as when the OP said he ran 10qts of new fluid. That means that he used about 20qts in total for the job? meaing he did a flush with 10qts, or it meains that he flushed the whole system and then added 4-5qts after he drained the fluid through the dipstick tube and the oil cooler line?

Is this procedure also the equivalent of draining 4qts then adding 4qts driving around and then draing/refilling 4qts again?

Return to “Rogue Forum”