CRAZY WATER PROB!! HELP PLZ!

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
MaynardWaltrip
Car: 2008 Versa SL

Hi -
I'm looking for your help with my 2008 Versa SL, 36,600 miles. This morning, we recieved a rain shower which was heavy, yet unlike many others we've recieved since owning this car new in 2008.
Upon arriving at my car, it was omitting a high pitched, steady tone which I could not get to turn off. It was different than any other of the warning chimes for the lights, smart key etc. Well, when I opened the car, it was SOAKED! The dash, seats, floor, and headliner. I assure you the sun roof was closed securely and the doors and windows were tight also. Look at the pics!

So here's my dilema: I had to disconnect the battery to stop the warning tone. What is the sound and why is it going off? How can I stop it?
Two: Why did this leaK? Do I need to replace the headliner? I searched the forums and found some leak messages, but nothing like this. I am considering turning this into my insurance because I am afraid of mold and because my versa is just out of warranty.

What do you guys think? I value your opinion.

Help!

Tacuvito
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

:squint: :wtf2: isn't your bluetooth mic in that compartment? i wonder if it has something to do with the chime you are reporting. I knew I made a good choice by not picking a Versa with a sunroof. Best of luck, please keeps us posted on the findings. Happy thanksgiving!

McLeod1981
Car: Brilliant Silver 2009 Versa 1.8S w/ power-package, cruise control

it appears that the sunroof drain tubes that run through the A-pillars may be clogged therefore letting the water build up and spill over onto the headliner. Recommend these steps.
1. Take plenty of pictures.
2. Call and inform insurance company.
3. take to dealer-ship and talk to service manager to attempt to get them to cover it under warranty.
4. Keep insurance company informed because they can have quite a but of clout with dealerships.

Note: Calling and dealing with ins. company will be able to help answer your questions regarding weather you need to file a claim with them or not.

the squelching noise was caused by water shorting power to speaker causing noise and so forth the blue-tooth module in headliner is dealership retail 300+ dollars us.

McLeod1981
Car: Brilliant Silver 2009 Versa 1.8S w/ power-package, cruise control

Any Update on this??

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

Original poster: It could be the sunroof. Mine is an 08 as well, and last summer during an intense downpour rain started to drip into my car. I had the sunroof adjusted at the dealership, and so far it's been okay (with no leaking).
Can you let us know what the dealership says/does? Where abouts are you located?

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I've had the high pitched whine problem and talked about it on these forums before. Fortunately I've not had the sunroof leak.

My whine was after sustained rains; it was a very slow leak in the driver's door that was causing the beeper in the door to make that high pitched whine. The leak was too slow for washing the car to set it off.

Dealer supposedly fixed it in early 2009. Problem reoccurred in January 2010. It took them over three months to get around to ordering the right rubber for the door and install. We're just now getting into our rainy season so I don't know if it's really fixed yet. So far during the current rain it's ok.

Have them check the driver's door for a leak that is causing the beeper to whine while they're repairing the damage from the sunroof leak.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

So much for "so far during the current rain it's ok." Got in the car late yesterday afternoon; my 11 yr. old was drenched by water coming through the driver's side rear shoulder belt. Took it to the dealer (West Covina Nissan) this morning, waited 3 hours for them to tell me they needed a few more hours to figure it out. I'm leaving it overnight. They thought it was the drainage tubes but didn't have it worked out yet. I told them I'd leave it overnight and had my wife drive the 25 miles to the dealer to pick me up on her way to work.

Late this afternoon I received a sales pitch call from the dealer wanting to put me in a new Versa. My response was very blunt. I told him my car was in the service department right now for the third year in a row with a water leak. If Nissan can't build a car that doesn't leak, why the hell would I want a new one?

Fifteen minutes later the service department called me to tell me the car was ready, it was the drainage tubes, they cleaned out all four of them and they were picking up the repair bill because of the inconvenience. I don't have to pay anything. I'll get the car back in the morning.

I think we Versa owners should have the tubes checked and cleared on a regular schedule. My service writer this afternoon suggested it's worth having them make sure they're clear as part of the every 15,000 mile services. Makes a lot of sense when you see the damage those clogged ones cause.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

My saga continues, and it turned really ugly this morning. My wife dropped me off at West Covina Nissan to pick up the care on her way to work. I sign for the car; they go out to the lot to get it and find they left the window open in the rain all night! The driver's seat and that side of the interior are soaked!

The service manager immediately took it to the detailer to have them dry it up as best they could. Offered to totally detail the entire car for free when the weather gets back to sunny and dry. In the meantime I'll have to sit on plastic sheets or dress in my rainsuit to drive the car due to the soaking wet sponge that is the driver's seat.

They bring me the car and that's when I find that although only one mile was put on the car's odometer since yesterday theres over a quarter of a tank of gas missing from it. I filled up the car at the gas station to confirm and went back to tell the service manager. He's going to review security tapes to see if one of their employees left the window open to gain access to the fuel door release lever and siphoned gas later. He originally tried to deny it but I have daily detailed odometer readings , maintenance and mileage records on the car since the day we bought it in July 2007. No way did they burn 4 gallons of gas letting the car sit and idle in a service bay all day.

Murphy's Laws are alive and well and living here.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

MaynardWaltrip- how are you doing with your car's water problem?

Andrews Chalmers
Car: Versa '07 SL CVT

:( Sorry to hear about the drainage issues.

Do you know where the drainage tubing is located?

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

According to the dealer they run down all four pillars (2 front, 2 back) and are susceptible to clogging from both dirt and debris. He asked me if it had been routinely parked under trees because they found pine needles in the tubes. The car is very rarely parked near trees but apparently somehow the needles got in there. I'm not sure where the tubes start draining from because running my fingers around it the sunroof has been bone dry since day one. You can bet that after this fiasco those tubes will be getting checked regularly.

I hope MaynardWaltrip is getting his problem resolved successfully.

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

Wow you have had no luck with the car and / or dealer. Sorry to hear about all that ! Wow !!!!
Anyone know how we can check the tubes ourselves? My Versa has 41K, and is almost 3 years old. Just want to see if we can check it at home to avoid the dealership costs associated with that.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Maybe one of the techs here knows where the tubes start and end. I do know the dealer's techs were pouring bottles of water into them and blowing them out with air hoses before I left the dealer so they are accessible. Just not sure of the exact spots.

Aside from the water problem I've been very fortunate with this car. I've driven the car from here in California to Florida and back (as well as other long trips), from sea level to over 7,500 feet and weather from 28 degrees with snow to 118 degrees in blistering sun without a problem. Mechanically it's been rock solid and very dependable other than a defective battery that came with the car and was replaced two weeks after we bought it. No sunroof leaks, no fuel pressure regulator problems, no other major or recurring problems at all. Only other issue is the bluetooth doesn't recognize voice commands but otherwise is ok. I'm too cheap to replace the module since I can live without it. I don't place calls while driving; I only receive them. To me it's a matter of using the phone as little as necessary for safety reasons. I can also use my earpiece if need be.

As for the dealer, I've had some problems but they are competitively priced and their service department seems to be a lot better than any of the dealers closer to home. They occasionally throw in some perks (a free service item, free chrome Versa license plate frame, etc.) for being a loyal service customer. Now that the car isn't under warranty any more I might start taking it to the independent place where I get my 2002 Rendezvous serviced after this water issue is resolved.

Andrews Chalmers
Car: Versa '07 SL CVT

Ok I found the location of the drain hose.

They only exist if you have the sunroof, and there are four of them, each located at the corners of the sunroof frame. If you have the full service manual, they're on page RF-30.

The proper long-term solution is to remove the entire headliner, inspect the drain for damage or abnormalities, and pour water through the hoses to check for flow.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Thanyk you for that info. I'll get out this morning and take a look so I know where they actually are.

Return to “Versa General Chat”