DIY: Cabin Air Vent Filter

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Where is the cabin air filter?? Does anybody know? Maybe you can explain how to change it..

Thanks...

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

I read my manual. The cabin air filter is accessed on the driver side center, under a panel that the driver's right leg sits next to. The brake pedal has to be loosened and the gas pedal removed to get this panel off.

The gas pedal does not connect to the engine with linkage, only wires to a rheostat (variable resistor).

If you are a "shade tree" mechanic, it looks pretty straight forward. There is a pretty serious warning not to dissassemble the gas pedal/rheostat assembly at all. Probably because if you change the resistance versus pedal position relationship the system will not be happy.

The filter itself slides out of a slot that you pull the cover off of. Similar to the engine air filter.

I think this should be simple enough. The only thing I am worried about is that Nissan does not use screws, just a combination of visible plastic fasteners and hidden plastic attachment "post and receptical" fastening for their panels. I have taken a couple of panels on my Rogue off, and it can be a bit of a pain to to line these fasteners up when you cannot see them.

If you can do it, I am sure you will save at least $100 in shop time.

wbloomfield

Do you have any photos?? This seems like a pain in the you-who...
Superdave54 wrote:I read my manual. The cabin air filter is accessed on the driver side center, under a panel that the driver's right leg sits next to. The brake pedal has to be loosened and the gas pedal removed to get this panel off.

The gas pedal does not connect to the engine with linkage, only wires to a rheostat (variable resistor).

If you are a "shade tree" mechanic, it looks pretty straight forward. There is a pretty serious warning not to dissassemble the gas pedal/rheostat assembly at all. Probably because if you change the resistance versus pedal position relationship the system will not be happy.

The filter itself slides out of a slot that you pull the cover off of. Similar to the engine air filter.

I think this should be simple enough. The only thing I am worried about is that Nissan does not use screws, just a combination of visible plastic fasteners and hidden plastic attachment "post and receptical" fastening for their panels. I have taken a couple of panels on my Rogue off, and it can be a bit of a pain to to line these fasteners up when you cannot see them.

If you can do it, I am sure you will save at least $100 in shop time.

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

Haven't done it yet. Just described what the manual said.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Why would Nissan do it that way? Shame on them! Do I smell big bucks for the service department? On our Azera, you just release the glove box and pull out the old filter and replace it. By the way, if the Rouge filtering system is half as effective as the Azera's, You'll be amazed how much crap is captured in just 6 months. (couldn't find sneeze icon).

philipa_240sx

I drive with my windows rolled down during the summer months... an in-cabin filter was pointless for me.

BTW, the Altima had the air filter behind the glove box. Given the huge size of the Rogue's glove box, it appears they had redesigned the HVAC system and located it towards the middle of the vehicle.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

cdmuile wrote:Why would Nissan do it that way? Shame on them! Do I smell big bucks for the service department? On our Azera, you just release the glove box and pull out the old filter and replace it. By the way, if the Rouge filtering system is half as effective as the Azera's, You'll be amazed how much crap is captured in just 6 months. (couldn't find sneeze icon).
I bet it's easier than it sounds. Disconnect a wire, loosen the brake pedal, remove a panel... sounds simple, we will see soon enough. Who's going to do it first?

It could even be like the oil filter removal where the instructions tell you to remove a panel but you can easily change the filter without removing the panel.

wbloomfield

cdmuile wrote:Why would Nissan do it that way? Shame on them! Do I smell big bucks for the service department? On our Azera, you just release the glove box and pull out the old filter and replace it. By the way, if the Rouge filtering system is half as effective as the Azera's, You'll be amazed how much crap is captured in just 6 months. (couldn't find sneeze icon).
Ya, I know... I have owned a Vue and a Vibe before with cabin air filters and they are black at the six month mark. I am at the 5 month make with the Rogue and hook or by crook, I am going to change this filter.

droopy170
Car: 08 Rogue S Indigo Blue

If possible take pic and post any notes afterward please.

droopy

roguester
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD, 06 Altima 2.5 S special

The sign at the steeler says $89. + tax

philipa_240sx

The filter element itself is actually quite inexpensive.

In-Cabin Microfilter:Part#: 999M1-VS007Fitment: '07-08 Sentra, '08 Rogue

One of our site sponsors nissanparts.org has them listed for $12 US (approx):http://www.nissanparts.org/PD-...eID=3

Your guess is as good as mine why the dealer charges so much for them.

If anyone does get around to replacing the filter, please take photos and post a step-by-step so we can add it to our growing database of information!

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Did anyone have done it already on their Rogue?

Is it as difficult as it sounds when reading the procedure?

Some feedbacks will be appreciate.

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

I would also like to know as I'm getting close to the 10 month mark and have 16,320 miles on my Rogue now.

akshaydewan

Actually its not bad, changing the air filter. I saw the nissan machanic change the cabin air filter for my rogue and all he did was remove the panel, unscrew the nuts there at very end and ajusted the break and gas paddle to take out the air filter and replace it with new one. took the guy 15 mins to put new one in.

Jacobus77
Car: 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.6

Anybody know how to get to the CAF on a '96 Sentra? Mine has started smelling like skunk and it's getting cold here...

J

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Sounds like it's time for a trip to the dealer to me. And, of course, don't run over skunks.

rstew88410
Car: 2008 Rogue SL

Fairly easy job. Remove the lower panel just below the steering wheel. It has one torex screw and clips for the rest. Remove the plug which goes into the gas pedal control, then remove the three 10 mm bolts holding the gas pedal module to the the pedal assembly. Remove the cover to the cabin air filter and replace the filter. Takes about 20-30 min.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

akshaydewan and rstew88410, thanks for the information.

Does this mean we don't need to touch the brake pedal assembly?

What about the reassembly of the gas pedal: Need a test adjustment or is it as simple as the removal?

Who is going to do the first write up on this?

rstew88410
Car: 2008 Rogue SL

No need to touch the brake pedal and no adjustment needed on the gas pedal when you reinstall it. Just be sure to unplug the harness from the gas pedal assembly. The filter was $18.00 at the dealers. I will try to scan the pages from the Rogue service manual tomorrow at work and e-mail them to you. I also have the instructions which came with the filter and it seems easier than outlined in the service manual. Removing the gas pedal assembly make it easier to remove the filter withou bending it.

Supercourse
Car: 2007 Sentra, 2004 BMW X3

rstew88410 wrote: Removing the gas pedal assembly make it easier to remove the filter withou bending it.
Sounds right. The current Sentra uses the same filter (did have different part nos., but I think they are both now the same 27277-EN000), and the access panel is in the same area. In the Sentra, there are no screws to remove, and I think the approved removal method is to just bend the filter a bit for removal and insertion. No need to do anything with the gas pedal, but I suppose there is a bit more room there compared to a Rogue. The filter doesn't really have a rigid frame like other cabin filters, so is very flexible - maybe with due care a Rogue owner could do it without needing to move the gas pedal? That cuts the time down to a 7 minute job in my experience.

roguester

Supercourse wrote:
Sounds right. The current Sentra uses the same filter (did have different part nos., but I think they are both now the same 27277-EN000), and the access panel is in the same area. In the Sentra, there are no screws to remove, and I think the approved removal method is to just bend the filter a bit for removal and insertion. No need to do anything with the gas pedal, but I suppose there is a bit more room there compared to a Rogue. The filter doesn't really have a rigid frame like other cabin filters, so is very flexible - maybe with due care a Rogue owner could do it without needing to move the gas pedal? That cuts the time down to a 7 minute job in my experience.
you are right I tried it with mine, bend it a bit and it can be taken out easilly w/o any damage

enzo100
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

The filter is located to the right of the gas pedal inside the center console.

1) First, remove the panel on the side center console where your right foot is next to. You will pry it off with a screwdriver near the top. you will need to be forceful to get it off. Don't worry, nothing will break.

2) You should now see a thin rectangular plate in the far back. The filter is behind that. You will need to pry off the plate with a screwdriver in the middle.

3) You should now see the filter. The filter is larger than the opening. Luckily, the filter is very bendable and pliable. I pushed in on the center of the filter far enough until the ends come down.

4) Pull the filter out. Since the filter is so bendable, you should not have to remove the brake and gas pedal like other post say. You will have to bend it forward to clear the gas pedal. It will not break.

The new one should slide in easily if done slowly. Pop the plate back on the the side panel and your done. Hope this helps.

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

Thanks for the pics and step-by-step guide. I think I'm ready to tackle my in cabin filter now. I've been putting it off for months.

Hey philipa, This needs to be in the FAQ's.

Mike

gjp0928

Thanks for posting the pictures and guide. I just changed the cabin filter in my 2008 Rogue SL AWD (22,000 miles) and the pictures were a great help. I have a few additional comments that others might find helpful:

(1) I found, by accident, that you can pop the console panel off by hand if you grab the panel (with you left hand) at the top in the area above the accelerator pedal about where the panel "bubbles out". If you give the panel a "jerk" it will pop off although in some cases prying at the same time with a screw driver as shown in the picture might be necessary.

(2) I removed the filter cover plate by prying/pushing down on the the arm at the bottom of the plate. Reference photo #2, the arm is right at the tip of the pinky finger of the hand in the photo.

(3) The hardest thing I found was getting the leading edge of the new filter to line up with the slot. What worked for me was twisting the left end of the filter counter-clockwise while twisting the right end (the end that goes in first) clockwise. This allowed bending the filter just enough to line it up with the slot and clear the accelerator pedal and brake. Once the filter is lined up with the slot you can carefully rock and slide the filter into place. There is no need to remove or do anything to the accelerator or break pedals

(4) Running the driver's seat back as far as it will go gave me a little more room to fit my body in enough to reach the filter location. If you are a big person or wear bi-focals (like me) then the job is harder. A drop light or flashlight is also hepful.

Now that I've replaced this filter once myself there is no way that I will pay a dealer nearly a $100 dollars to do it. After you've done it once its nothing more than a five minute job after that. The old filter was pretty dirty so they do need to be changed at least yearly.

Roguest

Well it sounds like you are a day ahead of me in replacing the cabin filter.I wasn't sure of my abilities to do it myself as I could not figure out how to pop/pull off the filter cover from the photos. When the filter arrived yesterday, I tried again with the instruction photos that came with the filter and the rest was easy.I agree that getting the new filter in did take a little negotiation, but if this is what they charge close to $100, I would never pay this. I believe you do need to be a little small to get into the space, but I am a female and thankfully could manage without too much difficulty. The filter was filthy, I would consider doing it again before 15,000 and I bought another with this in mind in the future. Thanks to all those that have made this possible with photos and instruction.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

I just ordered a new filter from an online parts house for $20 including shipping. My dealer wants $32 + WA sales tax

Before ordering it, I used this thread to take out the old one and put it back. Once you figure out that you need to bend/slightly squish the old filter to get it out and in it works like a charm and takes less than 5 minutes. The filter just pops back into shape once it is in place.

roguester

Rockauto sells them for $10.29 + shipping part #QR25DE for Rogue.I just paid $34. at the dealer for my Toyota Matrix I think it's a rip-off for a small paper filter. That's the last time for me at the dealer.

psfod3
Car: 08 rogue

I have a 08 Rogue with 22,000 miles and have been puting off changing the cabin air filter because the dealer I use wants around $150 to change it. I am use to changing cabin air filters behind the glove compartment myself but I am not comftable with taking the gas pedal out. Is the bottom line view that you can easily bend the filter to change it without taking anything apart just removing the covers. I wonder if the dealers are doing just that and taking alot of money. My car is around 9 months old and I really have to change it soon one way or another.

philipa_240sx

The 'method' described in the factory service manual requires you to remove the accelerator pedal. This is what many dealers do and they charge accordingly.

$150 is a bit high though for what is essentially a 15 min job. I would change it yourself and save the $120+.

Which reminds me, I have to change my filter as well....

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

This is a good How To DIY that could be added to the list, what do you think Philip?

Return to “Rogue Forum”