Top not going all the way down!

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
PRINCESSP
Car: 2004 Roadster

Just had a new top put on my 2004 350z. In addition to it needing to be replaced, it was not going all the way down to the point of not wanting to drive it with the top down at all. Now, it goes down 95% of the way and is okay to drive, but there is still about a 2" gap when it closes and it does not go down far enough to latch. The bands were replaced and the guy who did the top said he thought there might be a cable system involved. Can't manually push it all the way down so it is like the top is hitting something. If I could figure out how I would attached a pic. The "Img" button above isn't helping me. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

Sorry it's a problem that brought you here but we're glad you found us!

Here are a couple of links to help get you started here, one for attaching photos (you need to host them on web somewhere, most people use ImageShack or PhotoBucket)...

How to post pictures on NICO using PhotoBucket

...and one with the a link to the factory service manual (FSM) chapter that deals with the 350Z roof...

2004 350Z Roof Chapter

I have ZERO experience dealing with the soft-top on the 350Z so hopefully if you can get a pic or two posted someone else can help out with the diagnosis if you're not up to running through the FSM and doing some troubleshooting on your own, or if you do and you wind up coming up empty.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

TripDiggler
Car: 2004 350z Enthusiast Roadster

I have the same car and the same year. Unfortunately, I had the same problem. I found that the rear window wasn't folding into place correctly during the open sequence. At first, I just opened and closed a few times and it fell into place. But that only worked the first 2 or 3 times. I talked to a guy at a gas station who happened to have the same car, and he said that his problem was that the older soft top was weathered and a bit stiff and that he used some conditioner to soften it and that solved the problem. I can't verify the validity of his solution because I have been lucky enough to not have it get stuck since. But now that I said that, it'll probably get stuck today when I take it for a ride.

My advice, if the open/close/open/close thing doesn't do it, try manually repositioning the back window a bit during the process. Having someone to push the button for you will eliminate the need of having to try to hit it with your stretched out toe while simultaneously trying to wiggle the window.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”