Timing chain noise

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Ryantzer
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

After getting my '90 Q45 back together with new timing chain guides it seems to have timing chain noise from the area of the cam sprockets on the right bank. The timing covers and valve covers had been sloppily resealed before I got the car so I have some concerns about bits of RTV finding their way into the oil system (although the oil filter should prevent them from circulating through the engine). My concern is that the chain tensioner is not getting oil pressure - is it possible to remove the tensioner and crank the engine (fuel pump fuse removed) to see if the tensioner is receiving oil through it's oil supply hole, or does cranking the engine without the tensioner installed stand too much of a chance of causing the chain to jump timing?

The tensioners are new along with the timing chain guides. I have another new tensioner that I can install just to rule it out as a problem.

I left off the upper chain guides that go between the cam sprockets as I have seen recommended, and as I had done with no issue on a KA24DE a number of years ago.

Any other thoughts on diagnosing the issue are welcome.

Attached photo is of the new tensioner after having run the engine for a short time. Does it look like it's properly extended?
Attachments
unnamed.jpg

Infinitiace1992
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45t KH1-C Ivory Quartz w/beige interior

I don’t know the answer to your problem however, I just had this entire procedure done on my VH45DE and bought the parts from VH PERFORMANCE as recommended from this form. We installed all the new chains and guides and tensioner The tensioner was faulty If you have another I’d replace it to be safe while you’ve got the motor apart. I may have an extra if you need. I also have new used chains if needed.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Ryantzer wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:13 pm
I left off the upper chain guides that go between the cam sprockets as I have seen recommended, and as I had done with no issue on a KA24DE a number of years ago.
This is the first I've heard of this on the VH. What advantage are you supposed to have by leaving them off?

Ryantzer

On the KA24DE the chain guides actually contribute to chain noise when the chain has higher miles and some wear - I believe there's actually a TSB from Nissan about removing the upper guide on those.

Ryantzer

Infinitiace1992 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:29 pm
We installed all the new chains and guides and tensioner The tensioner was faulty If you have another I’d replace it to be safe while you’ve got the motor apart. I may have an extra if you need.
Interesting. My timing chain set was from Performance VH as well. I've already purchased another tensioner to replace the one that I suspect is the problem. With a little luck that will solve the noise issue.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

I had two KA24DEs years ago, and also removed the upper chain (two separate on that engine, more akin to the VH41DE) guide on those. But I did not do so on my VH45DEs (nor the VH41 when I had it).
Ryantzer wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:02 am
Interesting. My timing chain set was from Performance VH as well. I've already purchased another tensioner to replace the one that I suspect is the problem. With a little luck that will solve the noise issue.
Are the pVH parts genuine Nissan? You can still get the OE tensioner from Japan 13070-60U03 (pass side).

Ryantzer

3Q Jay wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:22 am
Are the pVH parts genuine Nissan? You can still get the OE tensioner from Japan 13070-60U03 (pass side).
I am certain the Performance VH parts are not OEM.

I wonder if removing those upper guides could be contributing to my noise? I would think there'd have to be a ton of slop in the chain to allow it to contact the underside of the valve cover without the guide there, and since I removed both sides and only have the noise on the right side it doesn't seem like a viable cause.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

fwiw- both of my VH45DEs have a 'start-up rattle' if I haven't run the engine in more than 5ish days. but it goes away as soon as oil pressure comes up.
I can avoid it by doing a long crank with fuel pump off, but I typically don't bother unless it's been sitting for more than 2 weeks.

Can you use a stethoscope to pinpoint? could also run the engine briefly with the access cover off (oil spray), and see if the tensioner is pumping up?

Ryantzer

3Q Jay wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:42 am
could also run the engine briefly with the access cover off (oil spray), and see if the tensioner is pumping up?
That's an idea - I'd have to assume there's a visible difference between the position of the tensioner's plunger when it's stopped and when it's running and receiving oil pressure.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”