Tim's 69 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

OMG . Where do you guys find these cars. I simply love what you're doing with it.

SLiguykyle
Car: 1993 S13 hatch
1989 S13 coupe

i want to do one. but have zero money. KEEP THE PIX COMING!!!!! :D love the car so far man !

yellowcar

Put the wheels on and sat the car on the ground for the first time. Then I finally Got the heater box done. I had to rework the ducting from the cowl to the heater box since the roll bar ran across the heater box. I also rebuilt everything in the box, new heater core etc.. Getting the duct done also meant I could bolt in the dash frame (after fitting it to the roll bar).

I also ordered my ECU and dash this week so I should have that soon After looking at a lot of options I decided to get a Haltech ECU and a Racepack logger dash. It seemed like they would be a good pair since I can feed data from the ECU to the dash via CAN-bus so I won't need to have two sets of sensors and the dash has a GPS which is nice because I can get my speed reading and lap timing from that instead of needing a beacon

then I took the car for a drive

test fit the intake

[IMG][/IMG]
Modified by yellowcar at 10:09 AM 11/21/2009

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Things are looking good Tim! How well did the intake line up?

yellowcar

The intake ports are a different shape but I think it will work out in the end.If you think of the ports in the head as an oval with a triangle on top, then the ports in the intake are just the oval. So, I think I can just weld up the upper part of the port in the head and they will match great.

Now I just need to pick the ITBs. Anyone have any thoughts on what size?...50?...45?

I decided to take a break from working on the engine stuff for a bit and install some of the misc body parts so I rebuilt all the window channels and regulators and got the door windows in place and rolling up and down work then since I now have (hopefully) all the electrical stuff I am going to work on the wiring for a while. I got the ecu and dash in (meaning delivered, not installed) so now I have to figure out how to wire everything.I am installing everything that needs to be wired up first and have the headlights in, the fans in, and am starting to figure out what I am going to do for all the switches in the dash I also got the heater plumbed with AN fittings

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Unreal.

Tim, reading this thread makes me want to quit my job and get back on our projects.

yellowcar

Thanks!

I would love to quit my job so I actually have time to finish the car.

(But then I couldn't afford to finish it so...)

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'd like to feature this build in a multi-part article on our homepage... Any chance you'd be ok with that?

yellowcar

Can I email you somewhere to discuss the details?

the vert
Car: 93 240sx vert

That car is just asking to be tubed and be an all out drag car. Love it man looks freaking awesome.

sssrdub
Car: b-ball,cars, girls

the vert wrote:That car is just asking to be tubed and be an all out drag car. Love it man looks freaking awesome.
Ruin a perfectly good car hu ?

yellowcar

Got to work on the wiring made some progress. I wanted to have as many of the various relays and control units as possible in one spot so I made an electrical panel that flips down under the passenger side of the dash.

I tried for a long time to figure out a way to fit everything on the panel and finally had to accept the fact that it wouldn’t all fit. To make a little more room I decided to move the ECU to the bottom of the panel and that made just enough room to fit everything. The main fuse panel runs through the panel so you can get to the fuses without opening the panel.

I cut the panel out and mounted the hinge on the firewall then welded studs to the panel to mount the relays and the ECU sub fuse panel. I wanted to use circuit breakers for the cooling fans and headlights but when I went to mount them I realized that a stud to mounting them wouldn’t work, I needed to use a screw which is fine but I also didn’t want a bunch of screws protruding through the panel where you would see them so I made a small raised portion that the breakers could be screwed to (using really short screws) and welded that to the panel.

Finally, I painted the panel to match the car, bolted it up and started running wires. At this point I am still roughing in the wiring so nothing is very pretty yet. At this point there is a lot of routing and re-routing stuff to see what looks and works best. Once I have everything working and routed how I want I will tie everything down and cover it.

nismodatsun
Car: 2005 Nissan Pathfinder, 88 Honda Prelude Si, 99 Honda Civic LX

I will be closely following this thread! I have been wanting a 510 for the past 10 years, hope to have one in the next few lol. Keep up the great work, and keep the pics coming!!!

G Mouse
Car: Datsun 510 & 510 wagon

Hi Yellowcar , Iam G Mouse from Gig Harbor WA. where did you fine that INTAKE

yellowcar

I bought it off eBay but it really came from the Nissan dealer, it is a factory part. (Just hard to find)

G Mouse

Hi Tim, do you stell have your KA wiring harness & ecu . and is it for sale, Or you stell looking for a TB, You can give me a call at 253-677-5616 Gary

yellowcar

Right now I plan to hang on to most parts until I am done with the 69 and have figured out what I am going to do With the Yellow 510. I do however, still need a trans for the KA as well as another head (or complete engine) so I might consider a trade...

G Mouse

I happen to have two transmission for a KA TAKE A LOOK AT http://www.jenvey.co.uk/Index.htm & http://www.haywardperformance.com/
Modified by G Mouse at 2:22 PM 2/18/2010

yellowcar

This week I got my ITBs from EFI hardware. They are tapered bore which is supposed to help the midrange. They needed a bit of fitting match up with the manifold and the manifold needs to be ported but they look like pretty nice pieces. Now that they are test fitted I can start wiring for the sensors.

I also figured out how to mount my Racepack universal sensor module which is a stupidly expensive way for me to have my fuel gauge integrated into the Racepack dash display instead of having a separate gauge but one of my goals was to only have one gauge for everything. It needs to be very close to the dash display so I welded up a bracket and mounted it on the dash frame right behind the dash display.

Other than that, still wiring stuff. Seems to take forever when you are trying to do it neatly….

BTW I haven't really had timne to look for the harness but am trying not to forget about it :-)

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Any idea when you'll have this up and running?

yellowcar

I used to think I had an idea when it would be up and running but I gave up guessing.

Everything takes waaay longer than you would think to do and there is a big list of stuff to do. I am not in a big hurry to get it done since I enjoy working on it and it is a good way to get my mind off work for a while.

The key for me is that I keep moving. I don't mind it taking a long time as long as I am constantly working on it.

That all being said, the wiring is coming together now and most of the big challenges have a solution so hopefully it won't be Tooo long now.

Wow, that was a long way to say I don't know

slydrdie1
Car: 1970 datsun 510 wagon

wana say what a sick build thread you have here.motivates me to work on mine again.would like to know a little more about your front strut(coil over setup)ive got a similar looking setup on my 510.i tend to like my rides a little lower than most.the issue ive ran into is that 2/3 of the collars are useless because once you go down that far my tires rub the adjusters.im running 195/50 or 55 15's.curious if you have test fitted anything yet.once again major props on your build.thanks

yellowcar

I had the struts on my other 510 (Also running 195 50 15s) and had the same problem. The only thing I could do was buy new springs to lower the car and use the coilover to make small adjustments

twitchy

Wow, I am so impressed with the meticulous nature in which you have been doing your 510 build. I thought I saw your ride in a magazine a while back . . . wish I had seen your build first to truly appreciate the immense painstaking work that you have done. I love the cage you have built and it gives me faith that I could attempt a similar 'adventure' in the future with my 69 Datsun 510 (2 door). I also have a 73 with an 18L w/dogleg 5 speed that I have autocrossed in the past. Lucky enough, I have a wrecked 4 door as a parts car recently acquired. Thank you for sharing your tireless work. I am excited to see some finished pics if possible. :dblthumb:

youngmoney
Car: 93 240sx SE

looking beautiful so far! keep up the good work. cant wait to see the finished product

mychalous
Car: '96 240SX "Silvi"

I love everything about this car, right now. I can't wait to see the end product. Keep up the great work.

turbonxsx

I love it will be looking forward to the finished product

southernjake

LOOKING REALLY GOOD!!! what compression are you running? Im doing the same build without the stroker kit. I am really looking forward to the Dyno numbers as I will probably be building a stroker bottom end down the road.

D1S13
Car: 89 240

Old thread I know, but inspiring non the less

Datsun_Dom
Car: Datsun 510

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”