Tim's 69 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
yellowcar

the car is still waiting for the shop (but I did get some NOS door trim and an LSD diff last week.The shop is moving along, We got a lot of the sheetrock done last weekend Painting, floor coating and security systems are in now!

Modified by yellowcar at 1:54 PM 4/17/2008
Modified by yellowcar at 9:25 AM 6/12/2008

yellowcar

OK, I'm back.....Got the shop done and my stuff moved in so I have started back to work on the car finally

Today I put the new fuel pump in the fuel cell and installed it. When I bought the cell I was going to use carbs So I ordered it with a low pressure pump but since I am going with FI I needed to install a high pressure pump.The fuel cell came with a red case but I wanted it to match the car better so I had it sandblasted and powdercoated the car color. I used stainless bolts to mount the cell and ground off the lettering and polished all the bolts and washers.I also installed the front marker lights, the door trim (both NOS) and the new trunk seal.

</img></img>

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Looking good! As I added to the stroker thread, the oil squirters are a problem. You can either relocate/machine them to fit, or you can delete them.Can't wait to see the project as it progresses!

yellowcar

Well I actually had some time to work on the car lately.

I got all the rear suspension, diff and brakes installed.Installed the front crossmember, ft struts and brakes, steering column and steering box.Rebuilt and installed the wiper motor and linkage.Installed the pedal assy and plumbed the brake and clutch reservoirs with braided steel teflon hoseI also did some work on the heater and dash to fit them around the roll bar and painted the adjustable control arms and T/C rods so they are now ready to install. I still need a couple more AN fittings (they are on order so I should ahve them soon) then I can start plumbing the brakes.I also tore down the KA and installed the new crank which required clearancing the block and main girdle and removing the pistong oil squirters (I need to figure out how to modify these to fit later) I wanted to get the crank in the motor so when I build the new oil pan I am sure that there are no clearance issues due to the increased stroke.Oh, Yea, I also had all the hardware for the car replated (although i am sure I missed something )

Modified by yellowcar at 4:52 PM 1/13/2009

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I want to do things to your car that would most likely get me arrested and maybe a VD...

xlr8r
Car: 72' 2dr 510

I have been eagerly awaiting the completion of this Dime. I hope to someday see it in person, very well done 510 that puts my handiwork to shame.

yellowcar

ThanksI am also eagerly awaiting the completion It feels great to be back up and running and making progress again. It is also nice to be able to work in the shop. I am still moving things in the shop around though trying to find the layout I like best.

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

Cool tilton brake pedal setup. What assembly did you end up using? Did the turbo need some room up front?

yellowcar

Used the standard tilton underhung assembly. I am not going to run a turbo. I just thought it looked cleaner.I Installed the T/C rods, control arms and steering links today. All adjustable rod end stuff.I could actaully bolt wheels on it and roll it around now.

Modified by yellowcar at 11:44 AM 1/20/2009

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

that is an impressive collection of cad plated hardware, did you find a good source or just spend a billion dollars on bolts?

yellowcar

I had all the bolts replated they are not new so the cost wasn't too bad.

I am actaully going to have a lot of them left over though because I am replacing a lot of them with stainless bolts.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

I have driven 210's off and on for the past 15 years, they have always been my favorite. Your build has turned me into a 510 lover for life. You have done a fantastic job. This is the best build i have ever seen, mechanically and body work/paint. Much respect for your talent and devotion to the project. Please keep the updates and pics coming.

yellowcar

Thanks, I have been into 510s for a long time and wanted to try and build a nice one.

So, I saw that Tilton released a new version of the pedal set I just got done installing.

They were black! and had adjustable pedal pads!

Next thing you know I had bought them and replaced the other (brand new) set that I just installed..... I have no will power...

I also ran brakelines from the pedal set along the frame rails then through the fenderwell to the front calipers. They are stainless so I polished them while I was at it.

I pretty much give up tryng to post pictures here anymore, I can't seem to get it to work at all.

pics are here https://cid-dd71b4fc9f7bcc55.s...oject

Modified by yellowcar at 5:30 PM 2/11/2009
Modified by yellowcar at 5:31 PM 2/11/2009

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

A good update, I appreciate the link. You have great fab skills, love the fuel safe racing cell and the Tilton pedal setup.

p.s. stick with the two post IMO

Ajax
2010 Mazda 5

How goes the engine build? You've got a lot of things to do on this car, so I'm sure you've got a huge list of things to do in order.FYI, I recently ordered an intake manifold from Xcessive; I'll let you know how it works out when I can get it installed and tuned- I've still got high hopes for this stroker.

yellowcar

I am still working on the fab skills. Some of my friends are seriously good and at some point I would like to get to their level.

The engine is moving slowly. I need to get it in the car so I can build the oil pan and header and I wanted to have the new crank in it when i did that jsut to be sure it cleared everything. I tore down the engine and clearanced the block for the crank (but have not yet addressed the oil squirters) and now have the crank temporarily installed.Once I get the brakes plumbed and am sure nothing leaks the car will actaully be a roller!Then I can drop in the motor and trans (I already made all the mounts and powdercoated them) and make the oil pan. then back out with the engine and I'll get started with the wiring.

I am very interested in the manifold. I have been thinking about what I should do there so it would be great to hear how it works out for you.

Ajax
2010 Mazda 5

Since you're going custom anyway, I'd like to see you do ITBs and stand-alone with upgraded cams. That'd be sweet!

yellowcar

I already have BC stage 2 cams and their bigger valves and valve springs and plan to have the head ported. I have been thinking about ITBs but not sure yet. I have seen some dyno numbers for converted motorcycle ITBs and they were not good (and they always look kinda hacked) I have been thinking about using TWM ITBs which are nice but require a lot of work to fit because I will need to make an intake for them. Also if I use the TWM ITBs the Injectors will no longer spray right into the port. I am not sure if that is really a bad thing but it is something to consider before I spend all that money. Another option is to have TWM make a custom setup for me but that is stupid money.If you know of any other ITB options let me know…

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

That would scream with some weber side drafts.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Sooo Hot.

How is the rear license plate going to mounted? That is so great.

yellowcar

I have a flip down license bracket that I am going to use to mount the plate. (Can't remember what it is off of)

I have another 510 that has an L/Z 24 in it and sidedrafts so I am going to run FI in this one. Overall FI is nicer to live with and when tuned correctly makes more power. Dual sidedrafts do sound nice though....

noobdrftr
Car: of crap...just pure crap

wow love the colors...cant wait to see the final product

Truebelieverone

Sweet car

baput_sti
Car: 2006 Legacy GT, 2008 STI, & Z's

Good luck with the project.. I've been trying to find one..

mechanikdan
Car: 240sx convertible

wow. i like the whole car being powder coated..... i wanted to do that but my local coater said no way.

aznb_boy89
Car: 90' 240SX HB

Yeah this has to be the cleanest 510 build i have EVER seen in my life! lol if you dont mind me asking..what do you do for a living? i always wonder what peoples occupations and daily grinds are when seeing builds like this. Keep up the good work it looks AMAZING!

yellowcar

well, the car is now a roller, or at least it will be when I bolt the wheels on.I finished plumbing the brakes and clutch last week. I bent all the lines out of stainless and used A/N fittings for everything.

I also have been spending some time working on a trailer I bought. I will need to take the car a couple of places before it is running so I bought a trailer so I won't need to bug my friends for help moving the car anymore. (Big thanks to Jim Froula for helping many times in the past) The trailer was rusty (and what wasn't rust was a very bright blue color) and needed to have the brakes replaced So I cleaned it up and painted the whole thing with POR15 then with POR15 chassis coat nothing fancy I just wanted to stop the rust (and the blue) and am now finishing up the brake hydraulics.

Next up is the oil pan and exhaust...

yellowcar

So, I got my trailer done with the exception of adding a winch. I have the winch I just need to figure out how to mount it.I started on the oil pan and that is looking much easier than I thought it would be and looks like I can get that finished fairly soon.Just to actually get something completed I decided to put the quarter windows together. That turned out to be more work than I thought. Since you can’t buy the seal that holds the window in the frame (you can only get the seal between the frame and the car) I needed to reuse the old seal. The old seal had rust embedded in it from the old frame and was pretty hard from age. I spent a long time soaking the seal and cleaning the rust off it then I did a bunch of research and found something called “Wurth Rubber care” (it is the same thing as BMW Gummi-Pflege which is no longer available in case you were wondering ) I treated the seal with Wurth stuff and worked it into the rubber and it worked great. The seal is much more pliable now and will seal better.The other day someone told me that they saw a Nissan motorsport weber intake for the KA on Ebay. I heard that they made these a long time ago but that they were no longer available so when I saw the one on Ebay I bought it right away (along with some NOS door sills)Now I guess I am committed to running ITBs….I am also shopping for an engine management solution since I would like to have that in hand before I wire the car. I think I am going to get the new Haltech Platinum Sport 1000, if anyone has experience with them I would be glad to hear their thoughts.

yellowcar

Oh, yea. I test fit the OBX 240 header too and it is very close to fitting the car.

Ajax
2010 Mazda 5

I can't wait for this thing to fire up. Once I get mine running tip-top, I'm going to have to make a roadtrip to washington to get these 2 rumbling side by side.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”