Three codes that sometimes disappear

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
dotmichael
Car: 2003 I35

2003 I35 -- 120k miles.

95% of the time the CEL is on...but then it goes off. Car runs no differently 95% of the time. The other 5% the car starts missing probably due to the coil. My question is why would three codes just vanish? It'll stay off for a few days, maybe 100 miles. I always use premium gas.

Car runs mostly fine, per the onboard computer (i know theyre inaccurate) i was getting 21.5 MPG, never more. City or highway didnt matter. I dont have a heavy foot...with winter gas im getting 19. Might not be relevant.

I do have a steady CEL with three codes:

P0305 cylinder 5 misfire

P0430 Catalyst efficency below normal (bank 2) - I understand this could just be an o2 sensor or bad wiring?

P1456 EVAP control system has very small leak

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Strange, normally a misfire will cause the CEL to flash, which when flashing it is telling you there is a serious issue and you should address the issue asap. The P0305 could be a bad spark plug or coil on cylinder 5. Have the spark plugs ever been changed?

As for the P0340 code it likely means you have a bad catalytic converter which is likely caused by the misfire, when the engine misfires, unburned fuel gets dumped into the catalytic converter which destroys the catalytic converter.

dotmichael
Car: 2003 I35

Of the 5 or 6 times the engine was shaking and shuddering the CEL blinking happened twice. I always had to pull over and turn the engine on and off a couple times. Once or twice it took 10 tries. I bought a coil to replace #5 but I'm going to replace all the spark plugs while I'm in there regardless. I'm not sure if they were replaced but I bought it from the original owner and have a ton of dealer receipts just nothing with that on there.

Sucks aout the cat if thats what it is.

I'm going to clean the gas cap area nice nice

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”