Thermostat stuck?

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

2017 Quest. We did a trip over the mountains in Oregon a couple days ago. Ambient temp dipped to 8 degrees. This van does great in the snow but when doing long downhills the engine temp went way down to around 130 degrees. Hardly had any heat. Once on level ground the temp went back to about 180F. Normally this thing runs 195-205F. Could this be a stuck t-stat? I've seen the procedure to change it on the 3.5 and it does not look simple. Thanks everyone.

Vstar - what do you think?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, if it's running normal temp on level ground then I doubt it's the 'stat, probably just too much ice-cold airflow and no RPM's to counter it. I don't think the Quests ever had grille shutters like some of the newer stuff, and at 8F at highway speed the radiator will go cold in a blink and then the wind has nothing to do except cool the block.

macgiver

Truckers you'll see putting cardboard in front of their grilles , I saw that up Wolf Creek pass in the 70's, in JUNE ! I might add 10" snow in 4 hours 15 F @ 11,000 feet :crazy:
You can cut a small 'shaped' piece o' cardbord that easily installs and easy to remove , and it DOES'NT at all need to cover more than half the radiator - if your in downhill straits in that 8F weather ? :yesnod

p.s.phmichel....... Is that Jesus driving in your avatar ? :cool:

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

macgiver wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:47 pm
Truckers you'll see putting cardboard in front of their grilles , I saw that up Wolf Creek pass in the 70's, in JUNE ! I might add 10" snow in 4 hours 15 F @ 11,000 feet :crazy:
You can cut a small 'shaped' piece o' cardbord that easily installs and easy to remove , and it DOES'NT at all need to cover more than half the radiator - if your in downhill straits in that 8F weather ? :yesnod

p.s.phmichel....... Is that Jesus driving in your avatar ? :cool:
Thanks for the tips. I've used the cardboard cover idea in the past. Next time we go I'll do it if it's that cold again.

And yes - Jesus drives and I'm in the back seat. :)

macgiver

Praise Jesus , and try not to pester his driving , cause he's better than Allstate , and WILL run down Mayhem :rotflmao

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's only trouble if God is the backseat driver. :gapteeth:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Moses, Jesus, and God are on a par 3 with a water hazard.

Moses slices his drive into the hazard. This is no problem, of course. He's Moses. He parts the hazard, locates his ball, hits out and drains an 8-footer for par.

Jesus also slices and winds up on a small island in the middle of the hazard. This is again no problem. He walks across the hazard, chips out, and drains a 6-footer for par.

God hits a screaming duck-hook down the center of the fairway. After violently bouncing three times it caroms skyward off a rock, hits a low-flying crow, ricochets sideways off a boulder and dribbles 20 yards sideways into the cup for double-birdie.

Jesus looks askance. Dropping his sunglasses, he looks at God and says, "Dad.... can you please quit f__king around and play golf?"
Last edited by VStar650CL on Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macgiver

:thewave:

Return to “Quest Forum”