The thread in which I plan to resurrect my CA in a new host.

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
biosehnsucht

Background :
Original build thread 1.
Original build thread 2.
Thread about the circumstances leading to the need to transplant the CA.

TL;DR: I plan to swap my CA (with some changes / replacements for either improvement or replacing destroyed parts) from my wrecked '89 to my "new" '91.

My new car has HICAS, the old one doesn't. I thought I had scored a HICAS CA pump already on ebay for a cool $50 2 days ago - but then the seller refunded my money and said when he went into his shop looking for it he couldn't find it. :( Worst case scenario I go with what I planned to do on my original non-HICAS car (only made easier because this already has a HICAS subframe, etc) and try to adapt the 96+ Z32 electronic actuated HICAS.

I'm also going to go FMIC this time, though I haven't quite decided on what size etc to go with. Also going to get a boost controller this time, hadn't gotten around to it. I am thinking something that fits more or less in the open area in front of the bumper on the 91, definitely don't want to cut anything if I don't have to (bumper "supports" / "reinforcement", aka the actual bumper, included). May look at aftermarket bumpers, but would rather avoid any "unnecessary" spending on such. Considering I was doing fine with a SMIC before and don't plan to make ridiculous power or boost levels, something full width and only 6-8" tall and however thick will probably work fine. I am amazed and afraid of how cheap the cheap intercoolers are on ebay these days - I remember when the cheap POS's were $300 not $30.

I'm going to probably place the battery for this car in the rear seat area (seat removed), passenger side, rather than in the trunk. Build up the area around it for storage. It's not like anyone is going to fit/sit back there anyways! Gotta move it for the FMIC piping anyways.

I've got a "new" turbo on the way, which I plan to get rebuilt hybrid style. Should make more than enough power and still spool dangerously fast. The turbo is from a Mazdaspeed Protegé, which on it's own would be a massive upgrade vs the stock CA turbo (T25 vs GT25r). Rebuilt will have more aggressive internals which will increase top end power without sacrificing much if any spool / response - I could get a bigger turbo for more power, but I'm not planning to do 400hp, hell, if I ever hit 300hp neighborhood to the wheels I think I'll have more than I want. I want to enjoy driving, not win races and wonder if I'm going to blow something up doing it. Got lucky and scored this thing for $50 shipped - seller wasn't sure if the seals were bad in the turbo or his motor but since I plan to have it rebuilt ...

Don't know if my Nismo S-Tune coilovers survived the wreck, the new car has non adjustable KYB's and Tein springs on it, so that's better than nothing. I may rebuild if necessary the S-Tunes or just say F' it and stay with whats on the car until I get some "real" coilovers.

Things that I don't already have that I need to get running: (I will update this as I think of them)

- CA18DET HICAS power steering pump
- CA18DET HICAS crank pulley (Well, sure, I could just run the non HICAS belt on the non HICAS pulley, but... )
- FMIC and piping, as well as air filter and suction pipe

Planned upgrades for new car: (will update as well - not all upgrades will be before I get it running)

- Swap over parts from old car
-- the CA19DET, wiring, mounts, etc (obviously)
-- Transfer over any/all undamaged suspension mods from the old car, replace what I must (bushings, etc)
--- Might need new Front STB, my Cusco might be slightly tweaked... it's hard to tell though!
--- My Nismo S-tunes may be no good, might rebuild them or stick with the KYB GR2 / Tein spring combo on the new car until I get "real" coilovers
-- Swap my better dash and other interior bits to the new car
--- Swap my Canadian manual belts to the new car (awwww jeah!) though the headliner may not fit (awww... )

- S15 Helical LSD (have had the internals / shafts / etc for ages, never got around to installing on the old car)
-- ABS LSD pumpkin shell to put my S15 helical into (I'd rather not disassemble / reassemble the VLSD when I could just sell it to someone locally as is)
-- Install subframe bushings (had forever but ...)

- Solid steering column bushing (have had for awhile, but ...)
- Front fender braces (have had for awhile, but ...)
- Tein hard tie rods (glad I didn't install them before the wreck!)
- Short shifter, maybe splurge for a B&M.

- Some kind of boost controller (I always intended to build my own and still may, but... if I can get one cheap, may just buy one)
- Mazdaspeed Protege OEM turbo (GT25R) rebuilt with upgraded internals

- Convert to 5lug / Z32 brakes
-- I already have the bushing inserts to fit S14 knuckles to S13 shocks without having to drill things out

- Oil / air separator for the PCV system, drain back to oil pan (have had the oil pan ready for the drain back since I put the motor together, never got around to it ... )

- Proper electronic fuel pressure gauge instead of having a mechanical one T'd in under the hood...
Last edited by biosehnsucht on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If you need the HICAS stuff and can afford it, I don't mind checking Nissan for new parts.

TheMAN

What does the "used" market look like in Okinawa?

themadscientist

You won't find CA anything. I have it all or it's long since been scrapped.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

If I still have my OEM crank pully, you can have it for the price of shipping. My CA was originally a HICAS car.

TheMAN

I think he will gladly accept your offer, but of course the bigger piece of the puzzle is finding a CA HICAS pump :chuckle:

biosehnsucht

I find it odd the DE's had 2-rib belts for HICAS, the CA18DET non HICAS was 3 rib, and the CA18DET HICAS was 4 .. in theory I could run a HICAS pump with the non HICAS belt, but...

Let me know what the pulley costs to ship :)

TheMAN

actually the KA24DE HICAS belt is a 4PK995, meaning it is also a 4 rib belt... it doesn't make sense at all it be a 2 rib belt since it also runs the water pump

TheMAN

themadscientist wrote:You won't find CA anything. I have it all or it's long since been scrapped.
hmm... I just saw on yahoo auctions there's a non-HICAS reman SR20 pump, but nothing else (S13s are too old for anyone to care in Japan I suppose)... I wonder if places like Autobacs sells reman parts... will be just as good but cheaper than a brand new one perhaps?

themadscientist

Whenever I need OE parts I just go to the source. That reminds me, I should order a couple of gasket sets for my FJs and CAs.

float_6969

No dice on the stock pulley. I must have pitched it. A little voice in the back of my head tells me there was something wrong with it. I think I had to heat it up to get it off the last time and it melted the rubber isolator.

fabio240
Car: S13 with ca18det

I believe that I still have a hicas pump sitting around

biosehnsucht

What do you want for it ? :D You wouldn't happen to have the crank pulley too someplace would you ?

Turboaddict

So what does that crank pulley look like ?

Here in holland i come accros a lot of ca18det atm and i have 3 in my garage.
number 4 may be on its way as its kinda cheap.

As i use them for other cars i dont want hicas anyway

biosehnsucht

The pulley would fit a 4-rib rather than 3-rib belt in the front-most belt position.

Looking from the side:
|\/\/\/| : 3 rib
|\/\/\/\/| : 4 rib

If you come across a HICAS pump it'll have two sets of connections for power steering hoses, one set in front like normal and another set in back.

biosehnsucht

Welp, still (patiently, I've got other things that need finishing before the car) looking for HICAS power steering pump / crank pulley. Fabio240 checked his parts pile and it appears the HICAS pump ran away.

I still need to get off my a** and take photos of the "new" turbo. It's actually in such great condition I'm tempted to not bother spending the $400 or so it'd take to have it converted to a "hybrid" trim turbo, I mean even stock it'll be much faster than the CA T25. I can do it some other time (PITA removal / reinstall be damned) and save the money for now to spend on other things, like the house ...

edit: I was a bit off in my cost guess at the hybridization.

fabio240
Car: S13 with ca18det

biosehnsucht

Yeah it's been up there for weeks. Sadly: "This seller does not ship to United States." They're in Australia. I might even consider paying $100+ and the crazy international shipping if I got desperate enough, but..

US ain't the only place they won't ship to:
"Shipping to: Worldwide
Excludes: Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Mexico, Canada, Greenland, North America, United States, Bermuda "

biosehnsucht

Summons thread from beyond the grave

So, taking another stab at this.

I eventually got a HICAS pump. Off the top of my head can't remember if it came with a bracket, I need to dig it out later to check. If it didn't come with it ... I remember reading somewhere the KA bracket might work? Does anyone know? Though I can't recall whether I kept the bracket attached to the pump when I pulled the KA engine or not ...

Ideally I'll want a HICAS crank pulley, but it's not going to be a DD so if I go through belts faster than normal because I'm winging it with a 3-rib it's not the end of the world. I made another thread a few days ago asking if anyone had one.

In the short term, I'm mostly going to look for quick and easy solutions to get the car running. At least I don't have to pass emissions anymore, older than 25 years now!
  • Probably going to get some kind of ebay FMIC since I'm trying to find something that fits with minimal/no cutting and nobody reputable makes short/narrow FMIC. Perhaps something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Bar- ... 2185794272 - there's a similar sized CXRacing one too, but this one appears to have the offset fins which supposedly is better (at least judging by photos). Plan is to basically fill the opening in the bumper in front of the radiator, below the bumper support. Rough measurements look like at most I need to trim some inside edges of the bumper skin to fit piping and it should just fit ...
  • Going to need some kind of FMIC kit where the pipes are ending up near the bottom rather than the top (some of the FMIC kits assume a giant rad-sized FMIC with plumbing at top instead of bottom, looks like). I also need to dig out the parts in storage to see how much I can salvage from the old SMIC setup, perhaps I can chop off most of the cold pipe and use it with a bunch of "universal" bits.
  • Considering one of these ebay hose kits since by now zero hoses can be trusted on the car on account of age, such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Radia ... 2510384397 - though silicon hoses seem to have mixed reviews in general across all makes/models on the internet.
  • Going to need a new recirculation valve or BOV - my preference is the former though obviously the latter is easier to install. The old one was destroyed in the wreck. Though I can just run without it at first and baby it merely to get it running and debug other issues
  • Going to need a new intake filter etc, though any old garbage that fits will work for now
For the most part, everything else I have a replacement for or survived the wreck. For example I have a "new" engine harness that was put together by ... I can't remember now. They sold various flavors of harnesses with custom setups to put engine X into car Y. I think they're still around but off the top of my head I can't remember the name - box is in storage or I'd just look at it. Anyways, should make it plug and play and not spending weeks of time rebuilding the factory harness like I did the first go around.

There's plenty of other things I want to do (get the S15 LSD put together and installed, 5 lug swap, Z32 brakes, new wheels to go with those, clutch, flywheel, etc), but right now I just want it to be alive again. It's not a DD and never will be so there's no rush to do everything at once.

biosehnsucht

(can't edit post now) Derp, I also need a new cat since I had to give my old one to pick n pull when they took my old 240SX ... though that thing had been pretty much blasted into a test pipe by then from running rich early in it's life.

Which reminds me... I've wanted to replace the O2 elbow and downpipe, guess the easy option is to buy some SR20DET ones as they'll be easier to come by. IIRC as long as both are SR or CA it should work, only problems when mixing and matching, right? I have the stock O2 elbow now and IIRC a SR pipe that was cut and welded to fit CA ...

float_6969

Dude. I thought you died. LOL!!! Welcome back man. That's a screen name I haven't seen in a llloonngg time, but I'm happy your working on it again!

For the intercooler;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fmic-DIY-Turbo ... t1&vxp=mtr
Small core, universal piping, comes with joiners and clamps. It's universal though, so you're still going to have to cut things together and make it work. If it were me, for the sake of easy, I'd buy a CA18 specific kit, buy the core you want, and then sell the huge core. And no, most FMIC kits mount the piping down low. they have to to clear the bumper support.

I have a silicone coolant hose kit off eBay and it works great! The clamps that came with it were a joke though, so plan on replacing those. Also, for whatever reason, none of the ebay kits include the actual radiator hoses. You have to buy them separate.

If you're just running low boost (7 psi), don't bother with the BOV/Recirc valve. The compressor surge at those boost levels won't damage anything, which is why there isn't one in factory form.

float_6969

Dude. I thought you died. LOL!!! Welcome back man. That's a screen name I haven't seen in a llloonngg time, but I'm happy your working on it again!

For the intercooler;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fmic-DIY-Turbo ... t1&vxp=mtr
Small core, universal piping, comes with joiners and clamps. It's universal though, so you're still going to have to cut things together and make it work. If it were me, for the sake of easy, I'd buy a CA18 specific kit, buy the core you want, and then sell the huge core. And no, most FMIC kits mount the piping down low. they have to to clear the bumper support.

I have a silicone coolant hose kit off eBay and it works great! The clamps that came with it were a joke though, so plan on replacing those. Also, for whatever reason, none of the ebay kits include the actual radiator hoses. You have to buy them separate.

If you're just running low boost (7 psi), don't bother with the BOV/Recirc valve. The compressor surge at those boost levels won't damage anything, which is why there isn't one in factory form.

biosehnsucht

For the BOV/recirc, it can wait certainly for now. Eventually I'll "need" it... but for now it can wait. Unless I see a good option in the near future.

I had considered a kit and sell the FMIC but was hoping I could find just a pipe kit without the extra FMIC. Who knows, maybe I have enough leftover pieces that a few universal bits plus the FMIC is all I need.

The universal fit pipe kit + FMIC you linked looks like it's too big to fit without cutting something. I was looking at something closer to 2.5" deep x 5.5" tall, which looks like it will fit in the 91's radiator opening without cutting anything (other than perhaps trimming the edges of the skin on the inside back corners if the pipes hit it - out of sight), that kit you linked is 2.5" x 7.5", which I don't think will fit without modifying something. Finding something 2.5" x 5.5" size is not easy ... there's only a few variations on eBay and other than a CXRacing part (which I would still call an ebay product, but they'll sell direct from their website too) I couldn't even find them off ebay. None of the "legit" intercooler manufacturers bother with such a size.

Good to know the ebay silicon kits are holding up for you. Looks like most (all) of the ebay sellers are selling the same "G Plus" kit which is also on aliexpress, just in various colors/etc.

biosehnsucht

Looks like the ebay seller that has the "small" universal FMIC I was looking at also has a FMIC pipe kit for CA18DET, but it's big FMIC. I'm contacting them through ebay to see if they can sell me the FMIC pipe kit separately (they only have SMIC kit separate) or in bundle with the smaller FMIC (instead of big FMIC).

biosehnsucht

Well, no go on the optimal solution there - the ebay seller told me they can't do either and/or didn't understand me (unclear from how poor the english was)

float_6969

China. The problem with cheap eBay parts. Bleh.

biosehnsucht

I've ordered a $100 ebay FMIC pipe kit, the pipes appear the same as the ones in the FMIC kits that include the giant FMIC. Here's hoping it fits... going to do some test fitting first before I buy the FMIC.

float_6969

Good luck!

biosehnsucht

Well, not TOO surprisingly, the ebay FMIC pipe kit doesn't fit. But it's clearly the same as all the other "CA18DET" kits including the FMIC-included ones currently there, so ... at least I didn't waste more money.

It's probably usable to some extent but will require chopping up pipes. I suspect it was intended for some kind of SR. The hot pipe is 90'deg at each end, and my CA18DET seems to have a slightly tilt to the turbo outlet (though the engine isn't necessarily 100% bolted in so perhaps it would be), but most out is the hot pipe at the TB end. It is surely meant for something with the TB at some kind of significant angle, but the CA seems to be straight on.. but if I chop off the not-quite 90 on the end of it and use a couple with a 45 or something I can probably make it work...

At least I was able to measure how wide the FMIC including endtanks would be with this pipe setup, and pretending it fit correctly it would be about 20", though if I get some slightly angled silicon couplers I can probably make it more like 22"... basically pivot both ends out. Maybe another few inches if I shorten the hot side bottom pipe (as it seems to come over further towards the center of the vehicle).

All the FMIC I was looking at were like 24-27" wide though with endtanks... d'oh. May have to get more "universal" parts and really hack it together.

Unless of course I've misjudged how it's supposed to go together... no instructions of course...

float_6969

Yea, I've never seen a CA18 kit that actually fits, LOL!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”