Original build thread 1
Original build thread 2
Thread about the circumstances leading to the need to transplant the CA
: I plan to swap my CA (with some changes / replacements for either improvement or replacing destroyed parts) from my wrecked '89 to my "new" '91.
My new car has HICAS, the old one doesn't. I thought I had scored a HICAS CA pump already on ebay for a cool $50 2 days ago - but then the seller refunded my money and said when he went into his shop looking for it he couldn't find it.
Worst case scenario I go with what I planned to do on my original non-HICAS car (only made easier because this already has a HICAS subframe, etc) and try to adapt the 96+ Z32 electronic actuated HICAS.
I'm also going to go FMIC this time, though I haven't quite decided on what size etc to go with. Also going to get a boost controller this time, hadn't gotten around to it. I am thinking something that fits more or less in the open area in front of the bumper on the 91, definitely don't want to cut anything if I don't have to (bumper "supports" / "reinforcement", aka the actual bumper, included). May look at aftermarket bumpers, but would rather avoid any "unnecessary" spending on such. Considering I was doing fine with a SMIC before and don't plan to make ridiculous power or boost levels, something full width and only 6-8" tall and however thick will probably work fine. I am amazed and afraid of how cheap the cheap intercoolers are on ebay these days - I remember when the cheap POS's were $300 not $30.
I'm going to probably place the battery for this car in the rear seat area (seat removed), passenger side, rather than in the trunk. Build up the area around it for storage. It's not like anyone is going to fit/sit back there anyways! Gotta move it for the FMIC piping anyways.
I've got a "new" turbo on the way, which I plan to get rebuilt hybrid style. Should make more than enough power and still spool dangerously fast. The turbo is from a Mazdaspeed Protegé, which on it's own would be a massive upgrade vs the stock CA turbo (T25 vs GT25r). Rebuilt will have more aggressive internals which will increase top end power without sacrificing much if any spool / response - I could get a bigger turbo for more power, but I'm not planning to do 400hp, hell, if I ever hit 300hp neighborhood to the wheels I think I'll have more than I want. I want to enjoy driving, not win races and wonder if I'm going to blow something up doing it. Got lucky and scored this thing for $50 shipped - seller wasn't sure if the seals were bad in the turbo or his motor but since I plan to have it rebuilt ...
Don't know if my Nismo S-Tune coilovers survived the wreck, the new car has non adjustable KYB's and Tein springs on it, so that's better than nothing. I may rebuild if necessary the S-Tunes or just say F' it and stay with whats on the car until I get some "real" coilovers.
Things that I don't already have that I need to get running
: (I will update this as I think of them)
- CA18DET HICAS power steering pump
- CA18DET HICAS crank pulley (Well, sure, I could just run the non HICAS belt on the non HICAS pulley, but... )
- FMIC and piping, as well as air filter and suction pipe
Planned upgrades for new car
: (will update as well - not all upgrades will be before I get it running)
- Swap over parts from old car
-- the CA19DET, wiring, mounts, etc (obviously)
-- Transfer over any/all undamaged suspension mods from the old car, replace what I must (bushings, etc)
--- Might need new Front STB, my Cusco might be slightly tweaked... it's hard to tell though!
--- My Nismo S-tunes may be no good, might rebuild them or stick with the KYB GR2 / Tein spring combo on the new car until I get "real" coilovers
-- Swap my better dash and other interior bits to the new car
--- Swap my Canadian manual belts to the new car (awwww jeah!) though the headliner may not fit (awww... )
- S15 Helical LSD (have had the internals / shafts / etc for ages, never got around to installing on the old car)
-- ABS LSD pumpkin shell to put my S15 helical into (I'd rather not disassemble / reassemble the VLSD when I could just sell it to someone locally as is)
-- Install subframe bushings (had forever but ...)
- Solid steering column bushing (have had for awhile, but ...)
- Front fender braces (have had for awhile, but ...)
- Tein hard tie rods (glad I didn't install them before the wreck!)
- Short shifter, maybe splurge for a B&M.
- Some kind of boost controller (I always intended to build my own and still may, but... if I can get one cheap, may just buy one)
- Mazdaspeed Protege OEM turbo (GT25R) rebuilt with upgraded internals
- Convert to 5lug / Z32 brakes
-- I already have the bushing inserts to fit S14 knuckles to S13 shocks without having to drill things out
- Oil / air separator for the PCV system, drain back to oil pan (have had the oil pan ready for the drain back since I put the motor together, never got around to it ... )
- Proper electronic fuel pressure gauge instead of having a mechanical one T'd in under the hood...