The real truth on Importing a Skyline Legally

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
EL MAMITO USMC
Car: SENTRA SER

welll mine its state registered and i really dont care about the "safety"of the car since most cars in japan are as safe as the ones in US, now you must be sure that the car passes the smog test of your state. like mine what i did i put a us cat in my car and it passed with flying colors. so its your call if you want to get one but make sure you know all specifics of your car so you know what your getting into.

edthemanjp
Car: 1992 Skyline GTR

The catalysts are the same. Its not about safety its about legality. Customs allows the car to be released on a bond, it gets brought into compliance, And if DOT approves the work you get a Bond release which clears you of all customs issues. The problem with the other cars is someone has defrauded customs which if discovered can be a reason to seize a vehicle. Just because its state registered doesn't make it legal.

EL MAMITO USMC

edthemanjp wrote:The catalysts are the same. Its not about safety its about legality. Just because its state registered doesn't make it legal.
your correct. but for me i dont care since its my car and i know the concecuences of an accident. but any ways who ever wants one should get one he-she should imform of all the specifications of the car so they know in what they are getting into. and if im not mistaken when they bring them as parts they enter the country legaly since parts are legal to import. but the only requirements that i saw on the law was that it need to be able to pass the EPA test. it doesnt say anything about DOT testing. since its a car that you ¨reasemble¨ for your self . now if your a dealer you should bring them as cars and federalize it. since many people really dont have a clue in what they are getting into...

edthemanjp

When a car is brought in as parts that's what customs and DOT understand it is brought in as parts not a car thats why they have a different set of laws for complete cars. If they knew people were reassembling parts to make a whole car circumventing the EPA and DOT I'm sure that the influx of parts into this country would slow down as they'd probably put tighter controls on everyone.

This is like I buy different chemicals and take them separately to my house combine the chemicals to make Meth just for my own consumption completely legal

EL MAMITO USMC

edthemanjp wrote:This is like I buy different chemicals and take them separately to my house combine the chemicals to make Meth just for my own consumption completely legal
jaja great point , and you know what migth be the only prob is not if people produce their own meth and use consume it , the prob wold be when they start selling it. because no one can tell you what to not eat or produce for you own use but then eventually theirs one that would f*ck it up for everyone else...

edthemanjp

EL MAMITO USMC wrote:jaja great point , and you know what migth be the only prob is not if people produce their own meth and use consume it , the prob wold be when they start selling it. because no one can tell you what to not eat or produce for you own use but then eventually theirs one that would f*ck it up for everyone else...
They already are............. I myself encourage people to pursue their dreams and if they can get it for personal use, cool. The thing that bothers me is when they say its legal or the other people who want to make a living selling these cars and they say legally imported state registered when it not.

The parts did come in legal but when there put together and makes a complete car thens it's illegal.

dj_hype
Car: A Nissan

everyone knows it's extremely difficult to get a federally legal Skyline in the US. thanks for all your hard work on this post but, you're just telling us what most people already know.

people selling cars as "State legal" car's aren't lying. they are legal as far as that state is concerned. we all know federal trumps state. but the fact is, the car is legally registered in that particular state. federally, it's not legal but most of the people selling these car's aren't advertising them as "Federally legal". and i've never seen anything from these sellers saying the car was imported legally, just legally registered.

if the state gives you a title, congrats, a non-road-worthy del sol also has a title. if the state gives you registration, they're saying as far as they are concerned, the car can be driven on the streets. that, to me, says legal.

people ***** and ***** about state legal sucks, blah blah blah but the fact is, it doesn't suck. it works. it has allowed me to enjoy a car that i love for over a year now. i take my chances but i also enjoy my car. i got pulled over last night for being a douchebag and the cop didn't even look twice about my car. in fact, he asked me a few questions about it and seemed to like it. that, to me, says if your **** is legit, then you don't have anything to worry about.

but the decision comes down to the buyer. the buyer is spending alot of money either way and it's up to them if they want to take the chance. but all these **** opinions about state legal sucking have no merit to them. not once has a state legal car been impounded just because it was a skyline. if it was impounded, it was because the drivers **** wasn't straight, they were doing an impoundable offense, or other things of that nature. state legal works. i take a chance and it seems the odds are in my favor.

but hey, this is just another **** opinion.

EL MAMITO USMC

dj_hype wrote:everyone knows it's extremely difficult to get a federally legal Skyline in the US. thanks for all your hard work on this post but, you're just telling us what most people already know.

but hey, this is just another **** opinion.
hey bro whats that north america skylne org. how can i become a member thanks

dj_hype

EL MAMITO USMC wrote:
hey bro whats that north america skylne org. how can i become a member thanks
click on the link in my sig or here: http://nasoc.glrace.com and sign up. its another forum which by some mods/admins here was seen as a competing forum so if the link gets deleted, email me and i'll give you the link.

edthemanjp

dj_hype wrote:people selling cars as "State legal" car's aren't lying. they are legal as far as that state is concerned. we all know federal trumps state. but the fact is, the car is legally registered in that particular state. federally, it's not legal but most of the people selling these car's aren't advertising them as "Federally legal". and i've never seen anything from these sellers saying the car was imported legally, just legally registered.but hey, this is just another **** opinion.
I've heard the phrase legally imported state registered. No, No No take the word legal out of your statement and input registered, just because the the state has received fictitious paperwork which allowed the vehicle to be registered doesn't make it legal, if the state discovers this they will start pulling registrations and issuing citations. Like I said for personal consumption I don't mind, I don't like people importing them to sell.........Most times these sellers aren't reliable

dj_hype

if the state allows you to register the car with the same vin that is on the car, then i don't how you can say its just registered. if it wasn't legal, my car would have gotten impounded last night. the paperwork isn't fictitious. it's real enough for the state to take it so to me, that says legal.

lets face it, the final decision lies with the person who is shelling out the cash for the car. and if it wasn't for my "unreliable" seller, i wouldn't have my car. considering my seller has taken care of any of my problems and been a great friend since i first called him, there's not really a reliable problem there for me.

edthemanjp

Stop the madness, did your car come into this country legally? no. So if id didn't come in legal how is it legal? If the state is under the assumption that the Government has okay'd the vehicle's importation then its fictitious............ If its a whole car as manufactured in Japan and it didn't come in as listed above in my post its ILLEGALLY imported.

How about this, since your car is "legal", why don't you call NHTSA and ask them if your car is in this country legally, Do you need the number?

dj_hype

edthemanjp wrote:Stop the madness, did your car come into this country legally? no. So if id didn't come in legal how is it legal? If the state is under the assumption that the Government has okay'd the vehicle's importation then its fictitious............ If its a whole car as manufactured in Japan and it didn't come in as listed above in my post its ILLEGALLY imported.

How about this, since your car is "legal", why don't you call NHTSA and ask them if your car is in this country legally, Do you need the number?
lol, why would i call a federal agency if i know my car isn't federally legal? and if the government, whether it be federal or state is making assumptions then that's their problem. i think we've all been screwed enough times that not only is it cool that we have this chance, but some actually feel good about getting a little "revenge".

the fact is that "state legal" or as you like to call it, "illegally imported state registered" works. and to tell people that it's a bad idea or inferior to go that route as opposed to doing what you probably did and spend an arm and a leg more is dumb. i supposed next you're going to go tell all the people who are running SR's or RB's in their car's that it's illegal because those motor's aren't allowed for street use in the states.

my seller is making something available to people who previously thought it wasn't even possible. and thats buying a Skyline that you CAN register in your home state for a fraction of what was originally thought. i've been able to enjoy a car i previously thought I'd have to hit the lottery before i could buy one for over a year now. and most of the people that i've seen bashing "illegally imported state registered" cars are those that have not one clue what they're talking about, those that don't want regular people to have skylines, or those that feel they got ripped by shelling out tons of extra money for a "federally legal" car.

edthemanjp

As stated earlier for personal use is cool, lots of people have brought them in for their personal use, great I encourage it, if I had been faced with the same situation I would have probably done the same; however, I greatly resent anyone who doesn't have a legal Skyline in the USA to use the word legal when talking about their car, I paid for the use of the word legal.

You came on this post I started to say what, there is such a thing as a state legal Skyline and I corrected you on your misinformation. I posted the truth about legalization and if it doesn't meet with what I posted it isn't legal, period. I mainly posted this to get rid of the misinformation that always floats around about these vehicles.

EL MAMITO USMC

dj_hype wrote: i think we've all been screwed enough times that not only is it cool that we have this chance, but some actually feel good about getting a little "revenge".

the fact is that "state legal" or as you like to call it, "illegally imported state registered" works. and to tell people that it's a bad idea or inferior to go that route as opposed to doing what you probably did and spend an arm and a leg more is dumb. i supposed next you're going to go tell all the people who are running SR's or RB's in their car's that it's illegal because those motor's aren't allowed for street use in the states.

my seller is making something available to people who previously thought it wasn't even possible. and thats buying a Skyline that you CAN register in your home state for a fraction of what was originally thought. i've been able to enjoy a car i previously thought I'd have to hit the lottery before i could buy one for over a year now. and most of the people that i've seen bashing "illegally imported state registered" cars are those that have not one clue what they're talking about, those that don't want regular people to have skylines, or those that feel they got ripped by shelling out tons of extra money for a "federally legal" car.
ok the problem is not getting your dream car and use it for personal use. but the seller should inform the buyer that the car hes buying is a remanufactured car and not a federally imported car. NO ONE CAN tell you , you cant have the car but im sure that the seller didnt tell you that if your car doesnt pass the mininum EPA emission standart your car can be confiscated. now their is no rule or law that says that the car that you RE-MANUFACTURE for your persona use has to pass the DOT safety standarts since you can make your car any way you prefer. but im sure the seller doesnt say that the car doesnt have the bumper bar or the windshield and windows are not the same as the us cars so they brake a lil diferent than US cars. im sure the seller doesnt mention this to the buyers since they migth change their mind as to buying a "un-safer" car compared to usdm car.

now if you import your own parts and you re-manufacture your dream car its ok but for people to make a profit for selling re- manufactured cars, with out telling the buyers the hole deal , its just wrong. im completely agree with edthemanjp on the part that having your car for your use its great but for selling them iresponsably is wrong

dj_hype

EL MAMITO USMC wrote:
ok the problem is not getting your dream car and use it for personal use. but the seller should inform the buyer that the car hes buying is a remanufactured car and not a federally imported car. NO ONE CAN tell you , you cant have the car but im sure that the seller didnt tell you that if your car doesnt pass the mininum EPA emission standart your car can be confiscated. now their is no rule or law that says that the car that you RE-MANUFACTURE for your persona use has to pass the DOT safety standarts since you can make your car any way you prefer. but im sure the seller doesnt say that the car doesnt have the bumper bar or the windshield and windows are not the same as the us cars so they brake a lil diferent than US cars. im sure the seller doesnt mention this to the buyers since they migth change their mind as to buying a "un-safer" car compared to usdm car.

now if you import your own parts and you re-manufacture your dream car its ok but for people to make a profit for selling re- manufactured cars, with out telling the buyers the hole deal , its just wrong. im completely agree with edthemanjp on the part that having your car for your use its great but for selling them iresponsably is wrong
my seller notified me of all these things. he told me the risks i would be taking before i even looked at the cars he had to offer. i didn't know other sellers were being dishonest like this. all i have as far experience with sellers go is my seller who is very upfront and honest. the way i see it is he's found a way to bring people together with the cars they love and make a few bucks doing it so, i don't see the problem.

edthemanjp

The problem will come later, its going to happen. Someone somewhere is going to have an accident while street racing and its going to be discovered through lawyers that his car was brought in illegally then the investigator blame the kid and importer and some activist group will cry foul and they'll start looking for more of these cars. Then the insurance will deny the claim and send information to other insurance companies. Too many cars are here for this not to happen. Ohh I just read your buddy is Cameron

My problem is I will be brought into this event even though I'm Legal and this will waste more of my time.

dj_hype

Lol where in the fcuk did you read that Cameron is my buddy? I don't know that douchebag and if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't admit it.

EL MAMITO USMC

edthemanjp wrote:The problem will come later, its going to happen. Someone somewhere is going to have an accident while street racing and its going to be discovered through lawyers that his car was brought in illegally then the investigator blame the kid and importer and some activist group will cry foul and they'll start looking for more of these cars. Then the insurance will deny the claim and send information to other insurance companies. Too many cars are here for this not to happen. Ohh I just read your buddy is Cameron

My problem is I will be brought into this event even though I'm Legal and this will waste more of my time.
i realy hope that this never happens because if this happens many good people and in law will suffer for the irresponsability of a few.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”