The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!

Is your dashboard melting like those pictured in this thread?

Yes, Coupe (2008-2009)
41%
Yes, Coupe (2010-2013)
5%
No, Coupe (2008-09)
10%
No, Coupe (2010-2013)
8%
Yes, Sedan (post your model year)
32%
No, Sedan (post your model year)
5%

Total votes: 63

Gary01
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Please look at all my other posts and corporate contact information. https://dontbuynissan.wordpress.com/contact
I am also in South Florida and got my 2008 Infiniti EX35 dash replaced, but I had to fight because they said NO twice . Keep fighting. I know Nissan is not replacing most Altima dash boards, you have to keep on fighting. You can go to NHTSA (http://www.safecar.gov) and file a report/problem. It all helps. Let us know if you have any positive replies from Nissan in the future.

Johnnymetal
Car: 2008 Altima Sedan 2.5S

Just received this in my email last night.

This email is to give you the latest information on the class action lawsuit that seeks to hold Nissan accountable for selling Altima vehicles whose dashboards melt when exposed to heat and humidity. Below is an FAQ about the lawsuit. If you have additional questions, please email us. [email protected]

Q. Is the trial starting on July 11, 2016?
A. The cases remains on calendar to begin a two-week trial on July 11, 2016, and we are making final preparations to present arguments to a jury at that time. However, the Court has not yet ruled on some motions that are typically decided before trial starts, and Nissan has asked the Court for an opportunity to discuss changing the schedule. At this time, the Court has not responded to Nissan’s request, and we expect to be in trial on July 11. We will send an update if the date changes.

Q. Is it possible the case will end in a settlement?
A. The parties engaged in a Court-ordered mediation on April 21, 2016, but were unable to resolve the matter at that time.

Q. Has the Court certified a class?
A. The Plaintiffs asked the Court to certify their proposed class on January 29, 2016, and full written arguments for and against class certification have been before the Court since March 11. Judge Moore has not yet ruled on the request, however.

Q. If the class is certified, who will be included in the class?
A. Plaintiffs have defined the class as “All persons who purchased or leased a 2008 or 2009 Nissan Altima vehicle from an authorized Nissan dealer in Florida prior to January 1, 2014.” If Judge Moore certifies the class, he may accept that definition or he may modify it. We will issue a notice to class members if a class is certified.

Q. Could the case end without a trial or settlement?
A. Nissan filed a motion for summary judgment in April, seeking to end the case by arguing that there are no factual issues in dispute for a jury to decide. A motion for summary judgment is a tool frequently used by defendants shortly before trial, and, if granted, would end the case (subject to Plaintiffs filing an appeal). Plaintiffs have opposed Nissan’s motion with their own legal arguments and identification of facts which must be decided by a jury. Judge Moore has not yet ruled on the motion.

Q. Are there other motions pending?
A: Yes. After plaintiffs file a complaint, defendants are required to file a formal answer responding to the allegations and identifying certain types of defenses within a set period of time. Nissan filed its answer several months late and included defenses in it that Nissan had not previously indicated it would raise. The tardy filing prevented Plaintiffs from fully investigating the claimed defenses during the discovery process, which had already closed. Plaintiffs thus asked the Court to strike three of the defenses so that Nissan may not argue them against the Plaintiffs’ claims.

There are also motions pending from both sides to exclude certain testimony from trial. For instance, each side intends to present expert testimony to support their claims or defenses, and each side has moved to prevent some of those experts from either testifying at all or testifying on specific issues. And Nissan has asked the Court to exclude any testimony on several issues, including whether the melting dashboard defect presents a safety hazard. As with the class certification and summary judgment motions, the Court has not yet ruled on these pending motions.

Q. What happens next?
A. We continue to prepare for trial while awaiting the Court’s guidance on the pending motions and current schedule. We are organizing the evidence Plaintiffs will present to the jury, working with our experts, and planning the overall trial strategy. We will send an update as new information becomes available.

Q. How can I stay up-to-date on the status of the case?
A. You’re receiving this email because you contacted our law firm for more information about the case. We will send periodic updates when there are developments to report. We also keep our case webpage up-to-date. http://www.classlawgroup.com/nissan-mel ... uit-filed/

We encourage you to visit our website http://www.classlawgroup.com/ to learn more about the status of the Nissan melting dashboard lawsuit, as well as about our team of attorneys and other current cases and legal investigations.

Please email us if you do not wish to receive updates about the lawsuit. [email protected]

Very truly yours,

Gibbs Law Group LLP

kfall

Gary01 wrote:Please look at all my other posts and corporate contact information. https://dontbuynissan.wordpress.com/contact
I am also in South Florida and got my 2008 Infiniti EX35 dash replaced, but I had to fight because they said NO twice . Keep fighting. I know Nissan is not replacing most Altima dash boards, you have to keep on fighting. You can go to NHTSA (http://www.safecar.gov) and file a report/problem. It all helps. Let us know if you have any positive replies from Nissan in the future.
I emailed the VP of Customer Relations directly and actually got a response from one of his secretaries. Unfortunately not good news, as she said they were not in a position to help. I tried to really push and said I want to go higher up and talk to her manage but she was adamant that her manager was the VP and they are doing nothing at this time.

She said she was aware of the lawsuit, they are working on gathering their information, and she said it's possible they might release an "extended warranty" to certain VIN numbers.

The Grand Subaru dealership in Bensenville, IL is ignoring all my email inquiries and the local news station won't get involved because there is a lawsuit happening.

debbie072356
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima

I live in New Orleans and mine is melting also. I thought it was something I used to clean it with, but when I started searching and found this thread, I know what it is now. Going thru tons of posts but any remedy for this yet?

I haven't contacted my dealer yet but will be doing that soon. BTW...I also have a 2008 Nissan Altima!

Atlantan
Car: Altima 2009 2.5

debbie072356 wrote:I live in New Orleans and mine is melting also. I thought it was something I used to clean it with, but when I started searching and found this thread, I know what it is now. Going thru tons of posts but any remedy for this yet?

I haven't contacted my dealer yet but will be doing that soon. BTW...I also have a 2008 Nissan Altima!
Nissan won't do anything. I took it in few weeks ago, they took some pictures, sent it to Nissan, and they said "no". It is out of warranty. My dash looks like a mirror.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Nissan will not do anything about the melting dash, unless a formal class action lawsuit is filed. If your car means that much to you, just purchase a new dash from the dealership, or locate a used dashboard.

debbie072356

My mechanic told me about a site called jcwhwitney.com....they specialize in dashboard covers. Most are cloth related material, but I browsed the site and it looks like this alternative might work for me. Not too expensive either. I'm going to look into it.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Tons of companies make dashboard covers. DashMat seems to be the industry leader, and you can order one through Amazon, or probably grab one at your local auto parts store.

Les Peters
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima S Swedan

Just joined this thread, after buying a used 2008 Altima Sedan with a melted dash. I thought it would be something that would clean off, but unfortunately not. Went searching on Google and found this thread.

Seems there is no fix, and Nissan is trashing their reputation by refusing to take responsibility for an obvious design defect. Can't understand how they can change the material to fix the problem in later years but deny that there is anything wrong with the vehicles that have a problem. Depending on the angle of the sun relative to the car it can be near impossible to see past the glare off the dash.

I hope the class action results in a substantial win for the users and that Nissan gets slapped with a healthy fine!

512michelleg

I'm having the same issue. It's been melting over the course of a few years now. About 3 at least. I live in Austin, TX and have a 2008 Nissan Altima. Other parts of the dashboard are soft now, without melting. But I can literally gently push my nail against it, leaving an impression. Are there any updates to this issue? Is Nissan offering any concessions or taking responsibility? My warranty is out at this point. I have less than 70k miles on it. The melted dash diminishes the resale value of the car. Unacceptable.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Nissan won't even properly address the ongoing CVT issues affecting vehicles that were built after the year 2000. Therefore, any hopes of Nissan offering any sort of resolution to the dashboard problems is only a pipe dream of owners affected by this problem. :lolling:

omega1951
Car: Altima 2012
Frontier 2015

Couldn't believe this problem hasn't been rectified by now. I,ve got a 2012 Altima 2.5S that seemed "soft" a couple years ago and now newspaper sticks to it. I can see that it's too late to do anything but run it til it dies. Not sure of the cost but I can guess it's not cheap. :nono: :rotfl However. I guess it could be worse. Won,t be trading it in for a new one. :nono:

omega1951
Frontier 2015

Couldn't believe this problem hasn't been rectified by now. I,ve got a 2012 Altima 2.5S dashboard that seemed "soft" a couple years ago and now newspaper sticks to it. I can see that it's too late to do anything but run it til it dies. Not sure of the cost but I can guess it's not cheap. :nono: :rotfl However. I guess it could be worse. Won,t be trading it in for a new one. :
:nono: unfortunately I was going to... 2017 looked sweet too...

omega1951
Frontier 2015

Okay I gave in. Took the best offer I could get from the dealer and bought the 2017. Hope I have more luck with this one :chuckle: Was a lost cause at best Good luck to everyone else. :gotme

Lilly1963
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

I know some time has passed, but just wanted to post my experience. I own 2009 Altima SE coupe 3.5L and lived in South Florida. Thus, I'm expeeriencing this issue along with cracking throughout. I always used a heatshield and my windows are tinted. So, apparently, this didn't help prevent the issue. I also never used any products on the dash, just soap and water to clean, which I do regularly. I no longer can find any link to a class action suit and I received the same response when contacting Nissan. Yes, I'm out of warrantly, but I love this car and plan to keep as long as possible. The replacement is so expensive. I've even filed a claim with the US NHTSA. Thanks

Lilly1963
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

This is what I found based on the link provided previously by the Gibbs Law Group.

A federal court has granted final approval of a settlement Gibbs Law Group and co-counsel reached with Nissan to resolve class claims that 2008 and 2009 Nissan Altima cars have defective dashboards that melt and become shiny, sticky, and reflective when exposed to sunlight. Judge K. Michael Moore held a Final Approval order in Miami, Florida on January 5, 2017, and issued a Final Order and Judgment approving the settlement and class counsel’s fee application.

Under the terms of the settlement, Nissan will cover all but $250 of the cost to replace melting dashboards. Altima owners who bought their 2008 or 2009 vehicle in Florida and currently reside in Florida qualify as class members. Class members who have already paid to have a melting dashboard replaced can submit a claim to be reimbursed all but $250 of the cost. A class member whose dashboard is currently melting can either pay full price to have the dashboard replaced immediately and then submit a claim for reimbursement, or can document the dashboard’s condition through a Nissan dealership and then submit a claim with a replacement estimate that states the condition of the dashboard. For class members who take the second alternative, Nissan will issue a repair certificate to the individual; the individual must then have the dashboard replaced at a Nissan dealership within 60 days, presenting the certificate plus $250 as payment.

In order to receive reimbursement or a $250 dashboard replacement, class members must have their dashboard replaced or the melting dashboard condition documented by a Nissan dealership no later than April 29, 2017, and must submit a claim to the settlement administrator no later than June 6, 2017.

Altima owners can visit FloridaAltimaClassActionSettlement.com for more information and to submit a claim.

I hope this isn't fake. I will do what it says and see if it works.

jswfl09

This is for anyone else wondering how the claims are going. I submitted my claim online with the copy of the dealer estimate on 3-15-17. Yesterday, 5-16-17, I received the dealer voucher (it is a post card). The date it was printed was 5-9-17. So, if you submitted yours around the same time I did and everything goes through right you should be receiving yours shortly. Also, on mine it says you must redeem it by 7-8-17. I called my local dealer and they did tell me that the dashboard is on back order and they did not have a date for when it would come in. I had to scan and email over my voucher before they could order the dash.

Just an FYI for anyone else out there wondering.

(Sadly, I first posted about this in this thread back in September 2013 when I only had around 48k and here it is May 2017 with 92k and finally a resolution that didn't require shelling out the full cost of replacement).

Kockyaudioguy
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S sedan

Altima dash melting in Louisiana , is there any factory recall issued for this topic ?

PizdOffAltOnr
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe

2009 Altima Coupe melting as I type. I cannot see oncoming traffic on a two lane road especially if driving anywhere near a southernly direction. A definite life threatening situation. Nissan Rep told me they will give me a new dashboard. My dealer said it would cots $1000.00 to install. He also said there are many modifications and differences made since 2009, plastic connectors will crack etc... and it could be weeks before the job is done. he suggested I ask for a purchase incentive or such. I got a code via e-mail but I don't know what the amount is. I would only be able to find out after I made a deal and gave the code to the sales people. I can't use the code or $ amount to but another brand. Sound like a win-win for Nissan and a lose-lose for me. I don't want another Nissan. This is not my first issue with them. I am in Arkansas. I will try to start a law suit here. Am shopping for a lawyer.

jswfl09

I'm still waiting for my dashboard to get in. It was ordered a month ago and is still on national backorder. It's going to be weird to have a normal dashboard one day again instead of the gooey, melting, disgusting and cracking thing that is there now. (Also just got my notice the other week for the "service campaign" to fix the steering lock).

stringfellow
Car: 09 Altima Coupe

I have to say the nissan dealer I dealt with was very helpful for the most part. I had the dash ordered after they verified the vin. I was told for about two weeks that it was on back order so I sent an email to inform that I might not be able to get it done by the deadline. I got a call on Monday that the dash had arrived and made an appointment for Wednesday. I picked up the car mid day on Thursday and it looks good so far. Sadly it looks like the same material as the old dash but time will tell.

Flybye

Hi all. I may be buying a used Altima 08 and are wondering if anyone has tried this overlay for the dash:

https://www.carid.com/2008-nissan-altim ... delName|SE

jackibar
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima Sedan

I just found this thread after searching for sticky dashboard. I have a 2011 Altima that is doing the exact same thing... I live in northwest FL and have never used chemicals since I’m very sensitive to them. Has anyone found an answer to this problem? It looks like the lawsuit is only for 2008-9 models :(

akki

I have the same melting dashboard issue in my 2008 Altima sedan. I live in Virginia where it's not as hot as Florida or Texas but still have the problem, which confirms that it's a faulty material that Nissan used in this model. They ought to issue a recall and replace the dashboards in all states, not just Florida!

Quarterwave

I was reading up on this issue and there is a class action that has just been settled. Some owners may still be able to file a claim:

https://www.gregcolemanlaw.com/blog/mel ... ement.html

kimmyjoscott
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima 2dr Coupe 2.5 SE

I just bought an '09 Altima that has the sticky dash issue. Can anyone suggest a good dash cover or fix that will help me? Thanks so much!
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

kimmyjoscott wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:04 pm
I just bought an '09 Altima that has the sticky dash issue. Can anyone suggest a good dash cover or fix that will help me? Thanks so much!
Merged with existing topic.

You'll probably want to answer the survey in this thread then read through it to see what others have to say.

kimmyjoscott
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima 2dr Coupe 2.5 SE

I cant find the survey you are referencing

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

kimmyjoscott wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:40 pm
I cant find the survey you are referencing
Okay, maybe survey was not the correct word. Did you see this at the top of the page? ↓↓↓

Screenshot_2020-08-13 The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread - Page 11 - Nissan Forum Nissan Forums.png

Return to “Altima General Discussions”