The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!

Is your dashboard melting like those pictured in this thread?

Yes, Coupe (2008-2009)
41%
Yes, Coupe (2010-2013)
5%
No, Coupe (2008-09)
10%
No, Coupe (2010-2013)
8%
Yes, Sedan (post your model year)
32%
No, Sedan (post your model year)
5%

Total votes: 63

Pixilox
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Mine is permanently sticky, so much so that when I put my dash cover on I didn't have to use anything to keep it down, it stuck on it's own! I am also starting to see cracks and splits on the dash :(.

jeffwlb1
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5s

My 2008 Altima also has a melting dash

spiderg
Car: 2008 Nissan coupe

I live in East Tennessee and my 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe has a melting dash! I had a 1980 Datson 210 , and the back seat covers burned from the sun, I called them and they replaced all the saet cover for free.That was after I had the car for about 5 years! Nissan are ***holes now! They won't even talk to you! Let me know what to do.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

It doesn't appear as though Nissan is going to voluntarily address this matter. A class action suit will be necessary to yield any sort of significant solution. Most folks will simply live with the dash, replace it themselves, or trade/sell their cars.

Mr. Music
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT w/ Convenience Package
In the family: '02 S15 Spec R, '09 Rogue

dsocohen wrote:I have a 2010 Nissan GT-R and it appears to be suffering from some of the same symptoms that you guys are describing; however, there seems to be a slight variation. Maybe you guys can clarify the issue. This summer I started noticing that the rubber/ vinyl section of my dash would get a bit shiny and tacky. it looks like the "peaks" in the vinyl dimpling are getting shiny and tacky while the "valleys" are not. Once the interior temperature of the car cools down, the dash goes back to being its regular non-shiny, non-tacky self. With your melty dashes, are they permanently sticky? I don't have any of the pooling or flowing that some of you have shown in your pictures. The dash just gets sticky temporarily. TIA!
dsocohen, in my experience, that is how the problem starts. It will get worse over time so try protecting it as much as possible.

Johnnymetal
Car: 2008 Altima Sedan 2.5S

Hi everyone I was reached out to through FB about this thread, when I posted on NICOclub FB profile. Thanks to whoever did that. I have a 2008 Altima sedan, living in West Palm Beach FL. Over the years the shine has spread out over the dash, and everyone here knows the shine is a sticky material from the result of the dashboard melting. I've talked to the dealership West Palm Beach Nissan where I purchased my Altima and they laughed over the phone, stating that it's pass the 2yr factory warranty. Pissed me off and would never go there again. I love my Altima but I lost respect for Nissan's customer service. I haven't gone farther than that to gain a new dashboard at Nissan's expense in which they should.

I hope this could get resolved, my next option when I can afford the extra cash is to buy one off Ebay (not 2008) and install myself, Im not a excellent mechanic but I don't fear project work. The reflection from the dash can be extremely distracting,I have a dash cover for 2yrs now to help. The major issue to me is the value of my car has dropped with this defective, distracting, unsafe, ugly dashboard. Who would want to spend thousands on a car from a company who will no matter what avoid this issue, why not be honorable to their clients/customers/buyers.

I will post pics before the week to this thread, I've seen many over the years of this issue. I wanted to joint and rant to increase the number of consumer awareness of this issue. DO NOT buy a used 2008 Nissan Altima, especially in hot states.

I will read through this thread for more advice.

Thanks for reading,
Johnny

Johnnymetal

Does anyone know if a 2011 dash panel will fit as a replacement for the 2008 Altima sedan?
I've been looking for days to confirm this, ebay will list used dashes 07-09, some 07-12. I've also looked through Nissan OEM website yet of course each year is a different part number so I can't confirm.

Johnnymetal

I've also read in this post, which makes so much sense is the adhesive used to make the dashboard is faulty. This is in my opinion causing the melting and splitting where the dash was placed together.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Nissan/comments/ ... placement/

Gary01
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Hello, I am new to this website and found your post about your dashboard.. I have a 2008 Infiniti EX 35, same melting problem and bad cracking all over the front. Took it to the deal in Coconut Creek, Florida ( I'm in Palm Beach County). They took pictures and 1 week later called and decline my request to fix. My post is below: Did you get Nissan to repair your car? I'm having zero luck.

"Hello,

I am looking for some help/direction. I have a 2008 EX35 (South Florida).I am the original owner. My dashboard is melting and all sticky. The front of the dash around the vents are all cracking. I know this is a known issue with Nissan and I know their is a class action lawsuit for Nissan Altima for 2003-2008 models. The Class Action lawsuit was instituted in the state of Florida. I've even contacted the lead attorney (http://www.girardgibbs.com/) who told me although they tried to include the Infiniti in the suit, so far the court has rejected Infiniti. Nissan has fixed or paid for some of the repairs for the Altima's. I took my car to the dealer, they took pictures and sent to corporate good will dept. My repair request was denied. They told me to call the Infiniti Consumer Affairs (1-800-662-6200 Ext.7). I did in fact do that and they told me they had an extended 8 year warranty for this known defect but it only was for the FX35 models, and that they wouldn't repair or pay for any part of my damages. The local news also had a segment on this issue (http://www.wptv.com/money/consumer/the- ... e-recalled). I contacted them for help, but didn't get much help. Does ANYBODY know anyway I can get Infiniti/Nissan USA to repair my car. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I have several pictures but don't know how to attach to this post as I am new to the site. I can be reached at [email protected], Thank you"

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

Gary01

Hello, I am new to this website and found your post about your dashboard. I have a 2008 Infiniti EX 35, same melting problem and bad cracking all over the front. Took it to the deal in Coconut Creek, Florida ( I'm in Palm Beach County). They took pictures and 1 week later called and decline my request to fix. My post is below: Did you get Nissan to repair your car? I'm having zero luck.

"Hello,

I am looking for some help/direction. I have a 2008 EX35 (South Florida).I am the original owner. My dashboard is melting and all sticky. The front of the dash around the vents are all cracking. I know this is a known issue with Nissan and I know their is a class action lawsuit for Nissan Altima for 2003-2008 models. The Class Action lawsuit was instituted in the state of Florida. I've even contacted the lead attorney (http://www.girardgibbs.com/) who told me although they tried to include the Infiniti in the suit, so far the court has rejected Infiniti. Nissan has fixed or paid for some of the repairs for the Altima's. I took my car to the dealer, they took pictures and sent to corporate good will dept. My repair request was denied. They told me to call the Infiniti Consumer Affairs (1-800-662-6200 Ext.7). I did in fact do that and they told me they had an extended 8 year warranty for this known defect but it only was for the FX35 models, and that they wouldn't repair or pay for any part of my damages. The local news also had a segment on this issue (http://www.wptv.com/money/consumer/the- ... e-recalled). I contacted them for help, but didn't get much help. Does ANYBODY know anyway I can get Infiniti/Nissan USA to repair my car. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I have several pictures but don't know how to attach to this post as I am new to the site. I can be reached at [email protected], Thank you"

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

The Infiniti FX was was a covered under a limited extended warranty due to how widespread the dashboard problem was. If the dashboard problem is only affecting a limited number of EX owners, there may be little you can do to make Infiniti pay for replacement dashboard -- unless you file a legal complaint, which will be expensive and time consuming. Most folks with this problem just sell/trade out the vehicle and leave the Infiniti/Nissan brand all together. :yesnod

Your best bet is to organize a Facebook page / Youtube page dedicated to dashboard problems affecting EX owners to generate strength in numbers and to make the information viral so that you get the attention of Infiniti.

Gary01

Hello,

I am looking for some help/direction. I have a 2008 EX35 (South Florida).I am the original owner. My dashboard is melting and all sticky. The front of the dash around the vents are all cracking. I know this is a known issue with Nissan and I know their is a class action lawsuit for Nissan Altima for 2003-2008 models.The Class Action lawsuit was institutedin the state of Florida. I've even contacted the lead attorney (http://www.girardgibbs.com/) who told me although they tried to include the Infiniti in the suit, so far the court has rejected Infiniti. Nissan has fixed or paid for some of the repairs for the Alitima's. I took my car to the dealer, they took pictures and sent to corporate good will dept. My repair request was denied. They told me to call the Infiniti Consumer Affairs (1-800-662-6200 Ext.7). I did in fact do that and they told me they had an extended 8 year warranty for this known defect but it only was for the FX35 models, and that they wouldn't repair or pay for any part of my damages. The local news also had a segment on this issue (http://www.wptv.com/money/consumer/the- ... e-recalled). I contacted them for help, but didn't get much help. Does ANYBODY know anyway I can get Infiniti/Nissan USA to repair my car. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I have several pictures but don't know how to attach to this post as I am new to the siteI can be reached at [email protected], Thank you

Gary01

Hello, I just saw your post. I am new to this site. I have a 2008 Infiniti Ex35 and also have a sticky, mElton and cracking dashboard. I see your in West Palm. I'm in Boca Raton and have been dealing with Infiniti of Coconut Creek. I got zero help from them. If you can view my original post, I got nowhere with them. Did you have any luck getting it replaced . I would like to compare notes and maybe help each other. I can also be reached by email @ [email protected]. I look forward to your reply. Thanks, Gary

Johnnymetal wrote:Hi everyone I was reached out to through FB about this thread, when I posted on NICOclub FB profile. Thanks to whoever did that. I have a 2008 Altima sedan, living in West Palm Beach FL. Over the years the shine has spread out over the dash, and everyone here knows the shine is a sticky material from the result of the dashboard melting. I've talked to the dealership West Palm Beach Nissan where I purchased my Altima and they laughed over the phone, stating that it's pass the 2yr factory warranty. Pissed me off and would never go there again. I love my Altima but I lost respect for Nissan's customer service. I haven't gone farther than that to gain a new dashboard at Nissan's expense in which they should.

I hope this could get resolved, my next option when I can afford the extra cash is to buy one off Ebay (not 2008) and install myself, Im not a excellent mechanic but I don't fear project work. The reflection from the dash can be extremely distracting,I have a dash cover for 2yrs now to help. The major issue to me is the value of my car has dropped with this defective, distracting, unsafe, ugly dashboard. Who would want to spend thousands on a car from a company who will no matter what avoid this issue, why not be honorable to their clients/customers/buyers.

I will post pics before the week to this thread, I've seen many over the years of this issue. I wanted to joint and rant to increase the number of consumer awareness of this issue. DO NOT buy a used 2008 Nissan Altima, especially in hot states.

I will read through this thread for more advice.

Thanks for reading,
Johnny

Johnnymetal

Hi Gary, my friend and I installed a used dashboard for my Altima on Saturday. Well he did most of the work, has a garage and so many tools. Took less than 3 hours to pull and install. I'm going to do a new thread in the future with pics of how to. I did a video of my dash and posted on youtube. I didn't pursue my issue with Nissan as far as you. Like you said they have no care in the world about this problem. My best route was to take time finding a used dashboard, I paid 175.00 to a autosalvage selling it on Ebay. Asked for extra pics, purchased a 2007 dash that would fit my 2008 Altima. I just got tired of feeling like I could do nothing and got help to take care of it myself.

Melting Altima dashboard video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shk4ww-r0tQ

Gary01

Thanks for sharing that info and video. I am making some progress with them and will post an update soon.

Gary01

Hello to all! . GOOD NEWS! After being VERY persistent and being denied by the dealer service department, dealer service manager; and Nissan/Infiniti Corporate with a case#. I contacted the GM at the my local dealer who finally helped me and got me a new complete dash. The cost was $2,045, and at first they said I was only responsible for $45.00 of the cost. I thought that was so odd, but I said OK. However, they finally waived that too. So I guess sometimes “ the squeaky wheel does get the grease”. Sometimes being persistent does pay off. To all other keep pushing and demand satisfaction. Below is a website that I found after much searching of Nissan corporate contacts that somebody spend a lot of time putting together. I tried to e-mail him and thank him, but he didn't reply, and I don't know how current it is. But it might be helpful. Best of luck to all. I would like to hear back from others who has either had success or continued to get denied.

https://dontbuynissan.wordpress.com/contact/

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

That is definitely good news. Congrats!
A lot of that contact info is definitely still current.

spiderg
Car: 2008 Nissan coupe

atcmiami11 wrote:i have a 2008 altima coupe. the dashboard is melting also. this must be a factory defect. has anybody questioned nissan about it????
I called Nissan , the district manager is going to tell me what they are going to do by Friday. By the way, I live in Tn, so it's not just Fla.

Gary01

Good for you! Keep pushing and being persistent. It took me awhile, a lot of research and many e-mails as noted in my posts above. Hopefully it will pay off for you. The dealer and all of Nissan knows of the known defect. As you can see by the class action law suits. Good luck and let us know how you make out. FYI, I tried to get a 2nd leather steering wheel, as 1st one they replaced disintegrated, and so now has the 2nd one. However, no luck on that front. The dealer wanted $1,375 for a new one. NO WAY. I didn't want to push my luck any more. You can also go to NHTSA (www.safecar.gov) and file a report/problem. It all helps. Also post some pictures of your car dash so all can see. Additional contacts for )Nissan that I found online (https://dontbuynissan.wordpress.com/contact/.

Johnnymetal

Here's a video of my old 2008 Altima dashboard after we ripped it out. As you can see, melting, cracking and splitting. Use it to share with others if you wish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shk4ww-r0tQ :mad:

Johnnymetal

Gary01 wrote:Hello to all! . GOOD NEWS! After being VERY persistent and being denied by the dealer service department, dealer service manager; and Nissan/Infiniti Corporate with a case#. I contacted the GM at the my local dealer who finally helped me and got me a new complete dash. The cost was $2,045, and at first they said I was only responsible for $45.00 of the cost. I thought that was so odd, but I said OK. However, they finally waived that too. So I guess sometimes “ the squeaky wheel does get the grease”. Sometimes being persistent does pay off. To all other keep pushing and demand satisfaction. Below is a website that I found after much searching of Nissan corporate contacts that somebody spend a lot of time putting together. I tried to e-mail him and thank him, but he didn't reply, and I don't know how current it is. But it might be helpful. Best of luck to all. I would like to hear back from others who has either had success or continued to get denied.

Congrats Gary!!!!!!!! :mike

Johnnymetal

Where my 4 year relationship with the 2008 Nissan Altima dashboard belongs now..... :chuckle:

Gary01

Nice! I wish you could have gotten it replaced by Nissan for free. However, glad you got a new one anyway.

kfall

Just bought a 2008 Nissan Altima from a Subaru dealer not realizing anything about this dash. It was a cloudy day so I didn't notice the dashboard.

In any case, just called the local Nissan and the mechanic was aware of the melting dash. He told me to call 1-800-Nissan1

I just called 1-800-Nissan1 and the gentlemen was aware of the melting dash, opened a case for me, told me to take it to the Nissan dealership to have them assess the damage and then they will forward this to the regional office for approvals on repairs.

In addition to that, he mentioned that (as I asked) he has seen a lot of them be replaced but they need to do this process before they will replace it.

I will keep everyone updated for those who are still watching this post.

kfall

Nissan did not cover the costs to repair this.

They said it was something that was used on the dash to cause this. :mad:

Gary01

Same happened to me on my 2008 Infiniti EX35, but I kept on pressing. I would e-mail and talk to the service manager & the general manager at the dealership and see if they will help get it approved. That's how I got it done after Nissan /Infiniti consumer affairs denied my claim even after giving me a reference number. Also reach out to some of these contacts on this list I found that a NICO said is a good list. As you know it's public knowledge there are many pending class action lawsuits against Nissan now for this issue.

I even contacted the lead attorney (http://www.girardgibbs.com/) who told me although they tried to include the Infiniti in the suit, so far the court has rejected Infiniti. Nissan has fixed or paid for some of the repairs for the Alitima's.but not all

You can also go to NHTSA (www.safecar.gov) and file a report/problem. It all helps.

Good luck, keep pushing them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!

kfall

Gary01 wrote:Same happened to me on my 2008 Infiniti EX35, but I kept on pressing. I would e-mail and talk to the service manager & the general manager at the dealership and see if they will help get it approved. That's how I got it done after Nissan /Infiniti consumer affairs denied my claim even after giving me a reference number. Also reach out to some of these contacts on this list I found that a NICO said is a good list. As you know it's public knowledge there are many pending class action lawsuits against Nissan now for this issue.

I even contacted the lead attorney (http://www.girardgibbs.com/) who told me although they tried to include the Infiniti in the suit, so far the court has rejected Infiniti. Nissan has fixed or paid for some of the repairs for the Alitima's.but not all

You can also go to NHTSA (http://www.safecar.gov) and file a report/problem. It all helps.

Good luck, keep pushing them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!
Thanks Gary - I called the Service Manager up who sent me to the General Manager of the dealership who sold the car. He said it's just as much news to him as it is to me that the dashboard is melting. Since it's not a recall they had no idea... He's going to reach out to Nissan Monday and let me know. Rediculous; I'll see if I can try some of those contacts.

Gary01

He isn't being honest with you. He has to know. It's a known issue Nissan is fighting back on.

beeristasty
Car: 07 Altima 3.5 SE

I didn't think i had this issue, but today I just noticed shiny spots on my dash and generally tacky feel all over the top. Looks like my problem is heat related as I've used a sun shade whenever parked for about as long as I've owned the car, which I bought new. And to boot, the car has been garaged for the last 3 years.

Even the spots that don't normally see sunlight, like the dash material under the driver side vent, are tacky when the car interior is warm/hot. When it has cooled down, these spots are less tacky. But the top of the dash is now permanently tacky. These dashes are the definition of suck.

Model: 07 Sedan with blond interior

MichaelDFLA
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima

My 2009 Altiam dashboard is a real mess. Living is South FL has taken its toll. It is sticky, dirty and very ugly. Not only ugly it is very difficult to drive when the sun is shining through the windshield. The glare is really bad. I had the Nissan deal inspect it. They said it is very common and good luck getting Nissan to pay for the $2000 replacement. And so true. They refused to replace the dash and not only that they were very rude and hung up on me. Car has 20000 miles. So disappointed in Nissan.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”