The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!

Is your dashboard melting like those pictured in this thread?

Yes, Coupe (2008-2009)
41%
Yes, Coupe (2010-2013)
5%
No, Coupe (2008-09)
10%
No, Coupe (2010-2013)
8%
Yes, Sedan (post your model year)
32%
No, Sedan (post your model year)
5%

Total votes: 63

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

$1500 for a new dash isn't that bad...but may seem like the bad route to take on a car that's 4 or more years old with relatively low resale value. Install will easily set a person back $500 and you will probably experience dash creaks and rattles too. Along with other interior nicks and scratches for having the old dashed removed and from installing the new dash. Getting the damaged dash professional stripped and resealed/surfaced in some sort of way will be the most cost effective option.

DestroDesigns

I was thinking of solutions for the melting dash issue that all of us seem to have and came up with a pretty good solution. I'm going to be buying silicon adhesive (black) and go over the entire dash with a pretty decent layer to give it a more protective* coating to at-least minimize the reflection of the window. The only problem with doing this is once I commit to the first layer, I have to follow through with the whole thing to get an even look. Wish me luck, I'm going to attempt this as soon as I get a full two days to work on my car. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

How durable and heat tolerant is the silicon adhesive you're intending to use? Do you intend to layer the dash with this adhesive without removing the dash? Sanding down your existing dash and laying down some matching/high quality vinyl may be the better route to take. :confused:

DestroDesigns

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/3M-80-R ... oCc6nw_wcB How would this be as a coat over the altima dash? It claims to have heat resistance up to 200 degrees F

Emckissack
Car: 2009 Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

Well we have a maxima to add to the list. My 09 is starting to get sticker as well. I also live in Florida.

To the guy wanting to put silicone on his dash. You might want to try plastidip spray. At least with that you could gen an even cover.

DestroDesigns

http://www.plastidip.com/send_sample.php

Can everyone contact plasti dip to ask which protective spray would be best for our dash?

Neonkiss

Personally I would not go down the road of using a plastic dip/spray on the dash. You will have to remove the dash to apply the product and there is no guarantee that the airbag will operate correctly if you apply something over the original cover. Replacement is the only way and Nissan needs to pay for it.

willjcrusr
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe

For sure the melting problem isn't confined to Florida. We live right outside of Houston, TX and we have a 2009 Altima Coupe that has 11K miles on it. The dash is melting big time. It started last year and is getting progressively worse. Everything sticks to it, the glare is terrible when driving into the sun, the fumes are bad when you first get into the car and it looks real shinny where it is melting. I called Nissan also and they said they couldn't help because the car is out of warranty. This is a factory defect and Nissan should take care of the problem. I wish some lawyer with a melting dash Nissan would start a class action suite. I have a 2007 Chrysler sitting right beside the Nissan and the dash looks like new. The Dealer and Nissan both said they had never heard of the problem. Right!!! I am 73 and have owned many cars. This is the first car I ever owned with this problem. The dealer tried to tell me I probably used some air freshener or cleaner that caused it. If their dash is that touchy why didn't they tell you what to use on it. Besides, my wife has allergies to almost everything so we don't use air fresheners or strong cleaners. We can't afford to buy a new car just because the dash is melting and we couldn't get much for our Altima with the dash in this condition. I think we should all keep calling and bugging the jerks.

Also the console in the top with the lights and compartment for glasses etc. just fell out. With 11K miles on the car you know it wasn't opened very much. The car's performance is great but they tried to go too cheap on the cosmetic items.

Bruce MacDonald
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

I am in north Georgia and I noticed this summer that my dash is starting to get sticky. There is a 1 inch strip on the leading edge of the gauge pod that is shiney and sticky. I will continue to follow this thread to see what happens.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

DestroDesigns wrote:I was thinking of solutions for the melting dash issue that all of us seem to have and came up with a pretty good solution. I'm going to be buying silicon adhesive (black) and go over the entire dash with a pretty decent layer to give it a more protective* coating to at-least minimize the reflection of the window. The only problem with doing this is once I commit to the first layer, I have to follow through with the whole thing to get an even look. Wish me luck, I'm going to attempt this as soon as I get a full two days to work on my car. Any thoughts?
Three issues:

1) What if it isn't compatible with whatever material the dash is made of? You're gonna wind up with a stickier, gooey, peeling mess.

2) Silicon-based adhesive remains tacky unless sandwiched between two things - it's not a topcoat.

3) Everything in the world is gonna attract to it and stick.

I'd order a cheap DashMat, throw it over Nissan's big fat failure, and call it good - while pursuing legal remedies.

Naum
Car: Nissan Altima 2008

I live in Houston, Texas and am having the same problem with my 2008 Nissan Altima. Talked to the dealership and they said that this is not covered under warranty and I'd have to pay 2000 $ to get my dashboard replaced. There is no way I was going to pay that much so I wrote a letter to Nissan explaining how this was a manufacturing defect and a safety hazard but their response was the same. Here is a picture of what my dash looks like,

It's similar to what everyone here has been complaining about. I cannot believe Nissan is refusing to take responsibility for this. Has anyone explored other options? It's also been in the news,

http://www.wptv.com/money/consumer/the- ... e-recalled

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

I pop back over here from time to time, and I'm frustrated that this thread keeps growing and Nissan isn't doing anything about it.

For a company that is so much about safety, I find this missing the mark by a lot.

I'm modifying the title of this thread as this needs more attention.

RicerX

UPDATE:

I encourage anyone who has posted in this thread to go vote in the new poll. I plan on moving this outside of the coupe forum and into Altima general so we may see if it's just the coupes or if the sedans were affected as well.

It's possible this is only affecting early model year coupes and this information will help narrow it down. With your help, we could put together a stronger campaign to take to Nissan to get this resolved. It's absolutely ridiculous that any of you had to pay $2000 for a new dashboard for something that is clearly a manufacturer defect.

Jovanyp85
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

This is happening to my car too for a while now and I have a 2008 as well this is very dangerous to drive I almost got into a car accident because of this.

RicerX

Welcome to NICO! Sorry this is the issue that brought you here. Stick around and hopefully we can get Nissan's attention with more people posting up and voting in the poll.

Slow progress is still progress!

sstephens
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5

OMG. I live in southern Alabama and have the same problem I have 2008 Nissan Altima that I have loved since I bought it. I have had the vehicle since I bought it and had no problems until about a month ago I noticed the dash shining. I touched it and it was like hot rubber, tar like and sticky to the touch. I will visit my dealership, now that I see I am not the only one. Thanks for being there. I thought it was just me.

RicerX

Welcome to NICO!

Let us know what your dealer says.

nismorick07

no problems for me

lildee46
Car: 2008 nissan altima

I too have this issue with my TV 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe. I love the car but it has become dangerous to drive when the sun glaring off the dashboard. Can anything be done to correct this problem. By the number of responses, it an issue with 2008 Nissan Altimas. I live in Shreveport, Louisiana. It get hot, but not hot enough to melt the dashboard of a car. :confused:

Ahus2012
Car: 2008 nissan altima 2.5s

Just wanted to post an update...

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA online, there were already several complaints listed for the melting dash. I also filed a claim with Nissan and had someone contact me for more information. The lady on the phone suggested I take my Altima in for an "inspection" but it would be out of pocket. I have been a total slacker and haven't done that yet. I asked the woman if she's come across any similar claims and she told me kindly, no. Not that I'd expect her to say yes anyway.

I have an 08' altima SEDAN.

b4group
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5s Sedan

You may safely remove "Coupe" from the title of this thread.
I purchased my 2008 4 door Altima 2.5s brand new and now nearly 6 years later, in the last 3 or 4 months i have noticed the glare in the windshield and the glossy and very sticky mess running accross the entire dashboard especially around the vent openings. I have filed a report on the nhtsa web site and submitted photos and my model info to the following site.
http://www.classaction.org/melting-dashboards-lawsuit
Im looking at moving to a bmw 5 series now before it gets worse. I predict Nissan will loose a tremendous amount of return business with this situation. :mad:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Based on the last 2 comments, "coupe" has been removed from the title, and this thread is now moved to the general Altima section.

ejuand
Car: 2008 Altima Sedan

2008 sedan, add me to the list.
Bought new in South Florida.

tarroyovelez

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe and my dashboard IS MELTED!

Really hope Nissan does something about this :rolleyes: :frown:

I live in Orlando and Miami Florida.

ATLTD25
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5S

Add another 2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5S to your list. I live in Mandeville Louisiana (50 minutes from New Orleans)

It is not a terrible amount of melting but it definitely creates a glare and makes it almost impossible to drive at night. It also emits gases that fog the windshield.

ATLTD25
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5S

After reading about other people having the fog/gas issue from the dashboard, I am becoming more concerned about what those gases consist of. I seem to get headaches more in my car than anywhere else, but that could also be from the glare.

Fyi, i am not usually one to worry about chemicals. I am breathing this in on a daily basis and wonder what impact it may end up having on my health.

nandiuxz
Car: g35 2008

Same problem here, From Miami FL, G35 2008 dash is melting

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Here is some info for a lawyer that claims to have started a class action suit. Let us know if any of you call, and what your feedback on it is.
My name is Jason Gibbs, and I am a litigation assistant at Girard Gibbs law firm. Girard Gibbs law firm has a class action case on file in the Southern District of Florida regarding consumer complaints about melting dashboards in Nissan cars. More information about this case is available at:
http://www.girardgibbs.com/nissan-melti ... d-lawsuit/
If you would like to contact the firm about the case you can contact us by phone at 415-981-4800 or by email at [email protected]

TBonexs
Car: '08 Nissan Altima sedan, model 2.5S

Me too. '08 Altima sedan, Tampa FL.

steveb38

I too live in FL and have a 2008 Nissan Altima and just noticed that the dashboard appears to be melting. I just it is a combination of the heat and sun, but it should not happen. I have had a lot of cars in FL and this never happened in any of them before. It is clearly defective, especially if so many people are affected.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”