The Official Altima Melting Dashboard Thread

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!

Is your dashboard melting like those pictured in this thread?

Yes, Coupe (2008-2009)
41%
Yes, Coupe (2010-2013)
5%
No, Coupe (2008-09)
10%
No, Coupe (2010-2013)
8%
Yes, Sedan (post your model year)
32%
No, Sedan (post your model year)
5%

Total votes: 63

SanoSuKe

:facepalm:

bzygmunt
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupoe

This story was ran on Tampa's local ABC new station:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/money/cons ... g-a-recall

Hopefully it'll gain more attention the more news stations start bringing it up.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Nissan definitely knows about this problem, however, Nissan simply doesn't care. :tisk: The Infiniti FX/Q both experienced dash board cracking/bubbling/melting issues too, but Infiniti only issued a replacement warranty for the FX due to the larger number of FX's that were manufactured. :facepalm:

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

I'm starting to hear of a few sporadic dashboard issues with the 09 370Zs as well. Makes sense as the dashboard in the Z appears to be the same material used as the dash on the Altima.

Mach2
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima

Okay - add me to the list. I purchased a 2008 Altima six years ago, new. My dashboard started melting a year ago. I did not bother bringing it to the dealer, because I knew it was out of warranty, and assumed they would not cover it. I bought a dash cover and it just came in yesterday; I will be putting it in later today. For the record, I am in Hawaii, and the car tends to be outside most of the time.

Neonkiss

Did you file a complaint with NHTSA?
I did see one from Hawaii, so not sure if that's you.

DJ_B_Easy
Car: 2017 GMC Sierra All Terrain X

bzygmunt wrote:This story was ran on Tampa's local ABC new station:

Hopefully it'll gain more attention the more news stations start bringing it up.
DJ_B_Easy avatar on TV at 0:31!

I can't believe this is still happening. I remember when this thread started we all thought the OP was a wacko.

seldomseen

DJ_B_Easy wrote:
bzygmunt wrote:This story was ran on Tampa's local ABC new station:

DJ_B_Easy avatar on TV at 0:31!

I can't believe this is still happening. I remember when this thread started we all thought the OP was a wacko.
Youze a local celebrity. :yesnod

Mach2

Did you file a complaint with NHTSA?
I did see one from Hawaii, so not sure if that's you.
Not yet. I am having difficulty on the NHTSA website. For "Affected Parts", which is a mandatory entry, it says to select up to three parts. I click on the box/arrow, but no drop down appears. I tried typing in a part (dashboard), but it would not take. Any suggestions?

Mach2

Nevermind - I got it. I think my computer/network at work was blocking it or something.

Chelseaelise
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe SE

I too have a 08 Altima SE Coupe. Have had this car since 2008, had 5,000 miles when I got it. I'm also having this irritating phenomenon of the melting dashboard. I used to be super happy with this car. I've contemplated several times of just getting rid of it because the dashboard is only one of the things I've had an issue with. Radio totally went out in it in 2012. Numerous plastic pieces just breaking off. I try to fix what I can but I am like everyone else here when I think we should not be financially responsible to replace it. I remember the first time I noticed it and tried to "wipe it off"? Yeah now there is a pile of lint stuck there. It's embarrassing. :mad:
BTW I'm in SW Mississippi.

Neonkiss

Our girl Jenn Strathman from WPTV is gaining ground on this one.
She has another story on this and a new class action lawsuit filed against Lexus.
Here is the lead in.
http://www.wptv.com/web/wptv/money/cons ... =515586884

Neonkiss

Here's the new story.
http://www.wptv.com/web/wptv/money/cons ... =517381720

Thank Jenn for being the consumer advocate.

jswfl09

Just made the local news here in Southwest Florida (Fort Myers & Naples).

Will post the link when it comes up on their site. Glad to see this is gaining more and more traction - I remember when it first came up and some guy who worked at Nissan posted on this forum or another and said that it basically was a made up issue or due to using bad chemicals on the dash. Yeah, not so much.

gussamo
Car: Nissan Altima Coupe 2008

My 2008 Altima SE Coupe has same problem with the dashboard melting/sticky and causing severe glare making it difficult to see while driving in sunny condition. Bought it new in March 2008 from Ray Brandt Nissan in Harvey, Louisiana. The melting/sticky started in summer 2012 with a small spot on the dash then the problem got worse and spread over the entire dashboard. I already filed a complaint with NHTSA. I’m in SE Louisiana, and the car parked in the sun most of the time. The car has only 24000 miles on it. It is a shame that I can not drive my car when the sun is out to avoid the risk of having an accident from the severe glare.

Hope Nissan will clean up their mess!!!!!! and do the proper thing by having it RECALLED. Or Nissan and NHTSA are going to wait until someone gets injured or killed before they take action???

stevenlewis
Car: Ford

Wow, that's some heavy glare.. can't you wipe some of it off with a dry towel?

Neonkiss

stevenlewis wrote:Wow, that's some heavy glare.. can't you wipe some of it off with a dry towel?
No, It's chemically breaking down and melting with a sticky shiny surface. :mad:
:werd:

willjcrusr
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe

Well it seems Texas has the same problem. We live in Pasadena, TX We have an Altima 2009 Coupe and the dash started the melting process last year. We have the same glare problem plus when you get inside the car on a hot day you can smell a chemical odor. We called Nissan and the Dealer and guess what? They have never heard of the problem. I asked them if they ever watch the news on TV? It was on NBC news here in the Houston area. They are supposed to get back to us. I am not holding my breath! The car only has 10K miles on it.
Everyone should call the consumer advocate at their local TV news station.

Bill

cslatt
Car: Nissan Altima coupe 2008 2se

It has been almost a year since my previous posting. Nissan has refused to assist saying that it is glue and my problem. With a 1500$ price tag driving it off of a cliff might be a better idea. Has anyone found an aftermarket replacement?

scherra711
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5 S

We are in Tennessee and our 2008 Altima coupe dashboard is melted. We also purchased it thinking that the detailer at the dealer had just put a nice shine on the interior. We were soooo wrong. It is very dangerous to drive if it is sunny out and now we are going to have to trade it in and take a huge hit. I can't believe that Nissan is pretending like they aren't liable for this. Shame on them :nono:

J-scott
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

Well, add another Altima coupe '08 to the list. Bought the car from Jacksonville Fl, and thought the same as many others, a good detail job. AFTER we got the car home I then noticed that it wasnt "armor all", but literally the dash is melting. The car was purchased for our 17 yr old son and the glare is an obvious safety issue not to mention its not that old of a vehicle to have such an issue. I have a '04 Chevy colorado and the dash looks like it did the day I bought it. Has Nissan acknowledged this as a defect ? Whats the latest information and where do I need to start on filing complaints? Thank ahead for any help.

chipdougal
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe V6

2008 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

I live in Saint Petersburg Florida. I bought the car from an Orlando Hyundai dealer in 2012.

My dash started to melt last year, I noticed that it was shiny and sticky I thought it was from getting it detailed but no the dash is melting. It does make it more difficult to see, I have not tried to take it to the dealer or get it replaced yet. I just posted on Nissan's FB about it.

This is unsafe who knows if anyone has died from it or been seriously injured.

Neonkiss

Still attempting to locate the vendor that Nissan used to injection mold this dash. I'm sure it's the same company that was used for the Toyota and Lexus vehicles that are experiencing the same issues from the same years.

If anyone can help shed some light into a breakdown of the part numbers used by Nissan (I suspect a vendor code is part of the part numbers) or if anyone has connections with Nissan that can provide the manufactures name and business location (I suspect it's over seas)

Bottom line, I want to speak with the manufacturer to see if they have changed the chemical composition that was originally used in 2008. This info is critical to move forward in obtaining compensation and a resolution for all owners with this issue. I understand if someone does not want to post this info publically, so you can PM me directly or PM me for my email address.

PLEASE ASK AROUND. WE NEED THIS INFORMATION.
Thank you, Neonkiss

seldomseen

Your best bet is to simply work the Facebook page dedicated to this issue to spread the word and to get clearer data of how many people were affected by this problem, et cetera. Facebook is a more powerful tool than this forum for circulating information. However, real results may only be obtained via a Class Action Lawsuit.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

http://www.girardgibbs.com/melting-dashboards-/

Let's all reach out to this firm, and see if they have any news.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

seldomseen wrote:Facebook is a more powerful tool than this forum for circulating information.
Not necessarily. NNA is well-aware of us and monitors this site regularly.

seldomseen

AZhitman wrote:
seldomseen wrote:Facebook is a more powerful tool than this forum for circulating information.
Not necessarily. NNA is well-aware of us and monitors this site regularly.
In regards to the power of social networking it's safe to say that Facebook is hands down a more powerful tool for communicating and connecting people with similar ideas, problems, et cetera. :)

TXRose

I live in TX and am also having this problem. Started in July after it had been at the dealership for service. Thought maybe someone spilled coke or something sticky on it, tried to clean it, but everything stuck to it. Area seems to be spreading. I put the sunshield in my window when it is parked. The way I first noticed it was that the shield stuck tot he gooey surface. Nissan needs to do something about this! Obvious defect. :frown:

DestroDesigns

J-scott wrote:Well, add another Altima coupe '08 to the list. Bought the car from Jacksonville Fl, and thought the same as many others, a good detail job. AFTER we got the car home I then noticed that it wasnt "armor all", but literally the dash is melting. The car was purchased for our 17 yr old son and the glare is an obvious safety issue not to mention its not that old of a vehicle to have such an issue. I have a '04 Chevy colorado and the dash looks like it did the day I bought it. Has Nissan acknowledged this as a defect ? Whats the latest information and where do I need to start on filing complaints? Thank ahead for any help.
I'm from Jacksonville Florida too. Specifically jax beach and my dash has severe melting. I've been parking in my garage at work ever since I noticed this issue. I have a 2009 2.5s as well. My best advice is to get th dash professionally covered. And if you can't garage it get dash reflectors.

JCJPark
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

2008 A/C bought used in 2013
I live in SoCal and noticed that my dashboard is also starting to melt. I keep my car in the shade so it doesn't look anywhere as bad as some of the others, but wiping it down with a paper towel or even a microfiber cloth leaves small pieces of fiber stuck onto the sticky parts of the dashboard.
I guess the only thing we can do is leave the car in the shade as much as possible or get one of those sunshades for the windshield...

Return to “Altima General Discussions”