The "I'm New Here And I have A Simple Question Thread" v2.0

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
r3b

Yeah its pretty strange ahah, its hilarious too see people break necks with the spool when im normal driving and its funny because my car is still a slow pos compared other cars but hey all I know is will be out anything under 300.

I guess I can do a mix of things with the wastegate which is good but now I need to find a turbo... I know you get what you pay for but I just need something that can last me at least a year for around 350. This is till I can save up for my engine rebuild. Looking at 400whp at pump with ls1 coils, internals, polished head, and proper garret gt35

I was thinking of one from twisted motion which looks way better than to the no name ebay on right now.
http://www.twistedmotionlv.com/apps/web ... ow/3634736

Only thing its a t25 flang and the manifold I have on is a t3 t4
http://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Thick-Manif ... B00EC0PRJI

If I get an adapter I dont think it will clean my hood.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Stick with t3t4.
Keep an eye on the nico classifieds. There's some guys in there slinging a lot of turbos. Maybe ask themif they have what you're looking for.

r3b

Will do! In other news I got my speedo to work, basically checked my whole harness and opened my cluster and put it together. Not sure what I did but im not questioning it. My harness is fine and its all my clusters fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL1M2wLCWaU

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Cool. I get the feeling mine is in the cluster too, because I hit my speed limiter the other day (the low speed one which is generated by the speed signal, not RPM).

sophonza

A superior fitting aero kit with an artful design that is admired and sought after by car enthusiasts around the world.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

ORLY?!

Marlena13

best car ever

WollyAjnin
Car: 240sx s14

Redoing the steering wheel job done by the previous owner because it was crap. They didn't install the wiring for the horn and the hub was loose...They also left the cover off above the pedals which i don't have lol. Anyway they zipped tied stuff together and i'm trying to figure out whats what. Cut all the zip ties and everything is separated. Checked the fsm and that didn't help me at all. Also have some random switch, couple harnesses not connected behind the radio (cleaning that up too) and the steering column. If anyone has a simple diagram i would greatly appreciate it

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I think you're going to have to be a bit more specific with the requests.

Left what covers off what pedals which you don't have? If there's no covers on the pedals (for gas/brake/clutch), they should just be bare steel... is that what the case is?
What is zip tied and what did you cut? What is separated? Where is the switch, and do you have a picture of it? Same with the harnesses and steering column (what is the problem with the steering column?).

WollyAjnin

The cover above the pedals, like the plastic piece that covered the wiring and what not. It was all just bunched together with zip ties and sloppily tucked up into the steering column. I just cut the zip ties so i could sort the wires out. Turns out its only 3 or 4 wires. The switch has a green and black wire going into it and it looks like they go to the driver side fuse box. I'll get a picture tomorrow, been busy with a new job lol. Nothing is wrong with the actual column itself, the steering wheel hub was not securely put on and wobbled around a little. Probably just needed to tighten the bolt but thought i'd take care of the horn and wiring mess down there while at it.

KRaZyAmmo
Car: None at the moment

I'm new here and don't have a 240SX S13 coupe yet. But I hope to learn a lot from here for when I do get an S13. When looking for a used S13, what should I look out for?

WollyAjnin

Took these before work real quick, sorry if they aren't the best. The switch

Three wires and black box that says milage. The box is on the left side of pic in the middle

End of wire. It's a good 4 or 5 feet long. Goes back and has 2 smaller wires go into it.

Yellow harness, goes into dash somewhere

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

KRaZyAmmo wrote:I'm new here and don't have a 240SX S13 coupe yet. But I hope to learn a lot from here for when I do get an S13. When looking for a used S13, what should I look out for?
Taken from: the-240sx-info-introduction-faq-thread- ... 83490.html

Buying Guide:

There are some things to look for when buying an s13. Mileage is normally not a very big issue as the KA is known to go well over 200,000 miles if maintained properly. I wouldn’t recommend buying one with super high mileage, but if you are assured it has been properly maintained, then you should be fine.
Listen to the engine at idle. If it makes a “Marble Rolling in a Tin Can” noise coming from the front of the engine, that would be the timing chain guides. These are plastic and are deemed unnecessary by Nissan. They will eventually break off if not removed. There is a great write-up here on nico that shows how to take care of this issue by removing the guides. It is about a 3hr. job and is fairly simple if you are mechanically inclined.
Rust is also a common problem. A few common spots for rust are the strut towers, wheel wells, and lower doors. The worst one is on the hatchback. If the hatchback has a factory spoiler, then there WILL be rust under that spoiler 90-95% of the time. The factory spoiler is foam and it will rust your hatch to no end. It is better to find a hatch without a spoiler, but if your baby has a spoiler, you can probably find a spoiler less hatch here in the nico classifieds.

Midnightblue
Car: 89' 240sx sohc

Remember me?
anyways I finished my 5-speed swap and it was all great and dandy until I realized I did not grease the release bearing and the bearing blew up 20 minutes into driving, breaking the case that holds it on place. But I ordered a new case already and a bearing.
My question now is will a s13 (1989) automatic transmission work on a s14 (1996)?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

It should...

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

WollyAjnin wrote:Took these before work real quick, sorry if they aren't the best. The switch
The only things I can think of are:
Some kind of elaborate kill switch and alarm system
Some attempt at one of those aftermarket "bullydog" tuner things
Some kind of trailer light/brake system. Does the car have a hitch?

WollyAjnin

No I don't have a hitch. Did some more looking the long wire goes to the oem security system. Why it needs to be that long idk.
Could the big yellow wire be for the airbag that was deleted?
the switch wires connect up into this (green and black wires). Any ideas?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

No idea. You might have to look at the FSM to determine what all those wires do.

www.nicoclub.com/fsm

WollyAjnin

The yellow wire is part of the airbag harness. Air bag in the steering wheel has been deleted so its just there. Then the switch turns out goes back up into the wiring for the 240sx oem security system. However i remember when buying it saying it had an aftermarket security system installed at one point. Turns out that the oem system wires go to no where as the wires are cut so they are disconnected from the fuse box in the engine bay. I then found a sensor on my engine wiring harness that is connected but the wires don't go to the fuse box. I'll reconnect the sensor wire and rip out the oem security system since i have no use for it. The only question is how do i get my horn to work lol. Doesn't the horn wiring relay go through the security system? Also whats this sensor, can't find it anywhere.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Horn wiring doesn't have to go through the security system. You're saying it doesn't work now? Check the horn fuse and horn relay, and if that all checks out, just run some new wires to the fuse box I guess.

That harness in your hand looks like the knock sensor. Does it go down below the intake?

WollyAjnin

Since I've owned the car it hasn't been hooked up to the sparco wheel, so no it doesn't work. I'll look into that, can't imagine it's to hard to connect from what I've read.

This is the sensor in my hand

This is the knock sensor below the manifold, which isn't connected, and isn't needed?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Are those connectors the same? It still almost looks like the harness for the knock sensor. Maybe someone just made their own pigtail with integrated resistor.

If you look at page EF&EC-4 of the factory service manual, the only things in that area are the TPS, coolant temp sensor, and the knock sensor.

WollyAjnin

Interesting. That's why i was confused cause they look identical. Cut off a zip tie and the male end reached to the female end under the manifold. So it is connected now. Hope there is a knock sensor in there cause they sound like a pain to install lol. If you could look at my post in the technical section pertaining to my alarm/starter/horn i would be great. Thanks for all your help as well i greatly appreciate it.

AORQO
Car: 1990 240sx, 1990 300zxtt

Midnightblue wrote:Remember me?
anyways I finished my 5-speed swap and it was all great and dandy until I realized I did not grease the release bearing and the bearing blew up 20 minutes into driving, breaking the case that holds it on place. But I ordered a new case already and a bearing.
My question now is will a s13 (1989) automatic transmission work on a s14 (1996)?
Not sure what your gettin at here, (temporarily De-swapping it?) anyhow, the only transmission from Nissan that is a RWD auto is the same auto from 89-98 for 240s, j30s, all of the rear wheel drive Nissans released in america. I do not know if the connectors are the same, but they could be interchangeable. I am putting a 240 trans in a j30 now, 240 met an untimely end....

GTR240
Car: 1992 1.5JZ Nissan 240sx Hatch
1993 1JZ Toyota JZX90 Chaser

I am new here, I just started my 240sx "drift" build and I have 1 question (im 14 so prepare for noobage!) I have a fan clutch that is broken (every single blade is gone) all i need is the plastic fan part NOT THE METAL PIECE, but I cannot find just the plastic part (i have a 92" ka24de) so where could i get one without getting one off of ebay (oem ones are $$$, and come with metal part)
Any answer this week would be appreciated :) Thanks

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I'd say a junkyard, or check courtesyparts.com, or FRsport.com.

You could also ditch the mechanical fan and just go straight to electric fans.

GTR240

Ok thanks, found the perfect one.

GTR240

One more question. My power steering rack/arm is leaking and I need to know what is the fastest way to stop it from leaking (if pics are needed I can provide them) I'm trying to get it track ready, and this leak just came up while putting in new coilovers.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Is it coming from a fitting? Hard line? Soft line? Reservoir?

GTR240

It is spewing out of the end of the boot, I think it might be the end seal. But every time i turn the wheel is squirts out of the boot, but now I have lost all power steering to the car, and is a very rough ride.
here is an image I found of my problem.
http://i.imgur.com/IABdvKp.jpg

Return to “240sx General Discussion”