The factory ECU thread:

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

The problem the willem has with programming some eeproms is the necessary high voltages (like 12.5v for some chips?). The actual address and data line functions do work well, so long as the the parallel port is setup properly.

The nvsrams do not require any special voltages for erasing/programming. Simply power up the chip (5v) and write the data, power it down and done.

From my experience and the feedback I have gotten from others is that just about every willem version will do the nvsram chips without error. Personally I use the willem enhanced, which seems to be obsolete now, but I have heard from a user that the dual-power version programs the 16c88 without problem (I know there are all kinds of versions now, so I cannot offer an exact recommendation).

People seem to have a lot of problems with the willem programmers when trying to program the SST 27sf512. Back in the day when everyone used to use the atmel at29c256 instead, there were very few problems. I wouldnt let 27sf512 experience sway you so much when (re) purchasing a willem programmer, for the price it cannot be beat, it can program a lot of different types of chips and microcontrollers. From my experience the 27sf512 is the most troublesome.

Ill get back with you on the example adapter board, need to borrow a camera. I actually designed the adaptation about 3-4yrs ago, but have only recently deciphered and re-written the code to make use of it. All of my pictures/info on the board are that old, so updates are in order.

deviousKA

Nycist wrote:Has anyone tried using Zemulator software with the vh ecu? I know its designed for vg ecus, but after sampling the product(demo version) it seems like a very good option for the vh.

Im new to factory ecu modification itself, so i dont know how similar the vh and vg ecus are or arent.
From what I remember the Zemulator is a decent editor with real time update (romulator), but it lacked proper maptrace.

They used an external ADC device (labjack) to input sensor values and formulate a TP. Like the bikirom, highly inaccurate, with proper firmware this data can streamed through consult properly, without any external device.

TSL
Car: Nissan

deviousKA wrote:Ill get back with you on the example adapter board, need to borrow a camera. I actually designed the adaptation about 3-4yrs ago, but have only recently deciphered and re-written the code to make use of it. All of my pictures/info on the board are that old, so updates are in order.
Any update?

I'm disassembling the vh45 code now. Going to strip it back to try and free up some extra space.

TSL

Here is the proper datasheet for the HD63C03YCP if anyone else feels inclined.

http://datasheets.chipdb.org/H...Y.pdf

TSL

Absolutely no interpolation above or below the ends of the 1x16 and 1x32 byte lookup tables.

For the temp scaled tables this isn't a problem as the engine should not be running past the extreme ends of the tables. However for rpm and tp based scales it may be worth considering under some circumstances.

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

I have all the parts, I guess I was hoping deviousKA would post the pics or more detail of the board he made. The project got bumped down on the priority list for me but I could start it backup quickly. Another issue for me is that I don't have a burner that will write to this new chip.

TSL

Can we give deviousKA a reminder?Perhaps he doesn't check back on this thread often.

deviousKA

Havent forgotten about this guys, just been a bit busy this summer.

I have rewritten my consult sram-write routine for the 6303 for better speed and efficiency. It can now accept block writes up to 255 bytes on a single tx command (vs 1 or 8 bytes as it was before).

Ill be looking at the q45 code as soon as I can to patch it in. Need someone with a working nvsram board to do some testing.

Keep an eye out on the eccs forums for example diy nvsram board pictures. Still havent had a chance to do my board run (have 5-6 designs to do), but rest assured this will happen.

qsiguy

Nice to see this moving forward. I'll check the eccs forum for some examples. I have all the parts to build, just need to figure out how I want to assemble it and I still need a burner that will burn these chips.

KO

When where and how much?...very nice I have a spare

Kirby260
Car: Datsun 260z

So I don't know if this would be helpful to anyone.

But for those who have the the 76-Pin ECU this might come in handy.\

It was made from the FSM's for the US Q45 (94/95). But with these ECU's the pinouts are all pretty similar. Even if the wire colours aren't.

http://www.roffles.us/VH45%20wiring.pdf

newbissan-tech
Car: 96 vh45 swapped 240sx SOLD, 2011 frontier pro4x SOLD, 08' Altima SOLD, 2006 TITAN, 2012 SUBURBAN FOR THE FAM.

sorry to sound like an idiot but this is all greek to me and you guys are frying my brain with all of this info. i just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a guy from nistune about what board i need, (which was a type 3) and i'm a technician at the local dealer. heck i go into the tech room, install the program card into consult 2, hook up ac power, the asists usb connection cable and download a program, walk out to the car and hook up to the dlc and press start! i gotta commend you guys cause i feel about an inch tall right now. WOW there is just so much information to learn when getting into this realm of work. anyways just my 2 cents. keep up the good work guys!

qsiguy

Ya, the old stuff is a whole different ball game. There is a lot of reverse engineering and programming to do. No plug and play here. Thanks for the comments.

M4T5
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45

Will any of you guys start reprogramming a 06' & up Infiniti ECU? I'm talking more for the M35/ M45 owners. It seems as though we are left in the dark. I see you guys really know your stuff here and that got me to wondering if any of you were going to do some magic on the newer ECUs.

J

jmhalder
Car: base model 95 S14, steeliez, boosted on the T25, going to HY-35, and 650's/N60/walbro/bikirom to han

as for the '06 and up, this thread i think PRIMARILY has to do with the older 8-bit ECU's, you might start a thread specifically about tuning the newwer Consult-II ECU's... you might also look into what they do for ECU tuning for the Z33 and others, its probably a similar procedure...

NOW ONTO WHY I REALLY POSTED.DeviousKA was nice enough to give me the schematic and PCB layout for the NVSRAM board for the U12, theres no reason that you guys shouldnt be able to use it too! (provided that someone modifies the code to support this, which would probably be DeviousKA) its worth mentioning that half of any profit will go directly to DeviousKA. Any questions you have should be posted over at the original thread over here http://eccs.hybridka.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1772 regarding this, as i really dont check Nico too often, so post or PM me on http://eccs.hybridka.com

tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

I'm afraid I don't understand anything when it comes to hacking factory ECUs but I fully support you guys that do it. I hope to see something come of this...Looks awesome.

deviousKA

Havent forgotten about this, code is finished and ready to go. Need someone to get a nvsram board set up on the VH ecu and to send me their base image to patch.

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

I don't mean to put this thread off topic, but I now successfully have Nistune Running on my 8-bit VH45DE S14. I am using a USB Consult Cable, a Moates Ostrich 2.0 Emulator, and the latest release of Nistune.

I DO NOT use a socket booster. By using a header cable only 2.5" long I negated the need for the booster.

Everything runs flawlessly, real time map tracing, tuning, and my Innovate wideband reports correctly. Really a charm of a program to work with...

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

I have the schematic done up for the realtime board, i just have not had time to transfer and etch it...parts are sitting on my desk at home.

qsiguy

I have most of the parts just need to wire up the PCB. I figured on just wiring up a breadboard for a one off project. I have a batch of ECU's to mod so maybe I'll work in it while I have my equipment fired up.

What do you need for a base image? Just a stock or starting BIN?

jmhalder
Car: base model 95 S14, steeliez, boosted on the T25, going to HY-35, and 650's/N60/walbro/bikirom to han

he needs a stock .bin file so he can patch it (it can be dumped with calumsult), the stock code needs to be modified so it can have R/W support via consult. arent the .bins on your site gabe?http://eccs.hybridka.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1610oh, and i have the whole BOM ordered for all 8 boards

qsiguy

I have dozens of BIN's Gabe. I'll email you a stock one. If I do it I would rather start with my current BIN than rewrite a stock one for my setup. How difficult is it going to be to patch a BIN when this system is up and running?

Some of the BINs at that link were a little sketchy. It was difficult to tell what was what from the descriptions. I tried a few, like the boost one, but it didn't work well for me. Ended up starting with stock and tuning from there.
Modified by qsiguy at 7:16 PM 3/28/2009

deviousKA

I dont know if there were any "favored" base .bin images. I dont want to patch some california or oddball .bin that has tuning discrepancies compared to other images.

I might be overthinking it, but heres a few questions for the Q45 experts.

Are all Q45 8 bit ecu created equal? (hardware, board layout, daughterboard extensions?)Are all Q45 automatic?Does the California or any other version of the ecu use additional sensors (IAT, EGT? etc.)

Just trying to weed out any potential incompatibilities. I will have an autopatcher eventually that could theoretically patch any base image with the additional consult commands, but to start with I will probably just patch one by hand. I would like to make sure it is an accepted good "tuner" base file.

deviousKA

Easy way to check if all main boards are the same are to check part number and revision number

A19-001-P00 [4] , First 9 places are part number, [4] is revision number.

Also check part number and revision on the daughterboard extension.

qsiguy

deviousKA wrote:Are all Q45 8 bit ecu created equal? (hardware, board layout, daughterboard extensions?)Are all Q45 automatic?Does the California or any other version of the ecu use additional sensors (IAT, EGT? etc.)
I'm pretty sure all the 90-93 models are really similar but I can't really verify that. California models have some different emissions stuff but all others use the same bins as far as I know. None have IAT but all have EGT.

All Q's are auto trans (except for Wes', lol)

The stock BIN I emailed you is not CA and should be a very common version. Some models do not have the traction control but can still use the BIN from one with it without any trouble.

Carl H

having had several q ecu's thru my hands now they appear to be identical internally with only revisions being the rom.all cars were automatic (which would be a nice bit of code to strip out for us 5spd guys), and i have seen several cars now with an egt temp sensor which was only supposed to be on the cali models.

darkhalf
Car: R31 Skyline

Hey guys

I've been looking at a few Q45 ECUs this week after a few customers have had dramas with the Moates emulators

I've found even with shorter cable and socket booster, unplugging the USB cable from the moates causes the ECU to go limp mode.

On another ECU just using the shorter cable will not consult properly (goes limp and requires socket booster to work). I dont know if this happens to other people with this setup but I've noticed it with the two Q45 ECUs I've got here on the bench

So I've decided to remove the upgear fuel maps from the ROM image and get it working in a Nistune Type 2 board. Done testing last night and uploads, syncs and stores fine to the NVsRAM and doing in vehicle testing next week

Also had a look at the Type 3 board. The ROM image and the locations of the maps is very similar to the Z32 16 bit which also uses Type 3. I've patched a bunch of ROM images but need to test this out. One of the guys has a 16 bit ECU so we will try it out in his ECU this week and see how it goes

cheersMatt

sr79labrat
Car: 03 M45, 91 Turbo Legend, 79 F-Body

Dear ECU Gods....

I am looking into a turbo on my 03 M45. I have all the parts I need except that I have no idea what the best way to go for tunning. Can you guys start pointing me in a direction for what to buy so I can get this show on the road? If it is not to expensive I want to get started next week! What do I have to do to my ECU or buy so I can tune it? What can I read or check in on to get up to speed?

Thanks in advance for some much needed help!Kyle

Carl H

only the newer ostrich seems to have problems with the q45 ecu...i have the old big nasty ostrich and have had no problems with consult or loading maps/tuning on the fly.

sr79labrat
Car: 03 M45, 91 Turbo Legend, 79 F-Body

So where is the best place to buy one of those? Anything else I need to get into this project?

Thanks, Kyle

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”