temp gauge ran cold now car won't start

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
jenny1997
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30

3 weeks ago, I took my 1997 J30 on a 13 hour straight journey from Louisiana to Tennessee! So proud of my girl! She got me there and ran great the whole way. I noticed about mid-way through the trip that my temperature gauge was on Cold. It usually reads exactly halfway between Hot and Cold during normal driving. When I stopped to fill up, and turned the ignition off, and then started her again, the temp gauge went back to it's normal position at the halfway mark. After being back on the road a few minutes, it fell back to Cold. It ran great the whole way. No warning lights. Started up again after each pit stop with no problem. We made it to our new place and I parked her.
The next day, I tried to start her up but couldn't. She sounded like she wanted to, but wouldn't turn over. This is the first time in the 4-1/2 years I've had her that she wouldn't start and also the first time I have abnormal temp gauge reading. It has to be due to running her 13 hours straight. We also came from Louisiana muggy heat to Tennessee icy cold temps in a day. My battery is 4 years old and has never died on me.
Any thoughts?

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

change the thermostat!
any check engine lights?
there are two temp sensors right on the thermostat housing to check after you change the thermostat.
the engine might not turn over if one of the temp sensors shows no reading....

start there....

jenny1997
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30

Ok thank you. No check engine lights.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”