Tell us about your project!!!!

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

O Daddy Like.

I grew up in El Paso, racing buggies across the NM/Mexico desert. Loved SHO engines, but gotta say, that looks like the potential for a sick buggy.What trans is that? Probably custom. If on u-tube check out a vid on a SHO buggy blowing the doors off a L?1 buggy, sweet video.Toy or for serious racing?

shanec86
Car: 86' HR31 Skyline Passage GT, 89' JDM Q45a

hi guys first post here, was recommended this site by Mettler, i have been lurking around for a little bit getting information for my project.

It is a 1986 HR31 Skyline Passage GT, and is receiving a VH41DE from a cima. For starters the engine will be standard and retaining the automatic gearbox. The car will just be a cruiser because i already have 2 race cars

hoddie12
Car: 1991 C33 Nissan Laurel

Hey im new on here so here goes... my drift/street projectSo far have a 1991 c33 laurel RD28. lol i have ripped that engine out within a day of owning it and have purchaced a vh41de. in my opinion one of the best value for money engines out there. have done a 5 stud conversion with gts25t brakes, and rear hubs wil custom front hubs. have intsalled D2 adjustable suspenssion and have purchased a D2 hydraulic handbrake. Have purchaced a Set of Redline performance bucket seats and rails.

I have stripped back the whole interior and removed the tar sound deadning. what a job... anyway i am in the process of bring all the interior back to bear metal and starting fresh.

I will need some help along the way with engine mounts etc etc as im sure may of you have done it all before. so add me on msn if u like [email protected]

holeset
Car: r32 skyline

me and my bro have spent about 6 months putting this together ,r32 skyline with a VH45 and an elcheapo chinese copy ta45 turbo,just waiting for the new Link G4 computer to arrive so we can get it tuned,oh the standard rb20 gearbox shoud be good for 5 seconds,we have a rb25 turbo box to fit when this happens,other than this the motor is completly stock

Modified by holeset at 4:04 PM 11/27/2008

TJcars2
Car: '87 Acura Legend

tmorgan4 wrote:
Badass bro!!

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

Still running strong!!!!

over 7,000 miles on 2nd VH45, running 12's all day, hasnt broke down once. Great project, working on paint and body, then touching up interior, and up for sale it goes.

dirtjumper

Hey ya all i am new to this forum ....i do have a project i just cant say what it is yet......but i want some details on a few things that i am wondering with the vh45 engine ....what has your findings been on tt setup using factory pistons and rods ?? i was going to lower the compression ration by a simple little thing i call spacing. (you have a piece of machined aluminium that is only a few millimeters thick depending on the compression ratio you want and you just place that where you place the head gasket with of course two sets of gaskets ,..both being copper gaskets ) and there you have it a fairly simple way of boosting your engine without having to go to all the work and $ of getting new lower compression pistons ..has anyone done anything similar ?? What where your findings ,... i will be testing this very shortly and hopefully i will have some data for it ,...i am just worried about how much HP and boost the rods and piston can hold up to .....any one whose knows feel free to help out ...thanks !

Ah shoot i forgot DOHC setup ...darn oh well it was a good idea while it lasted ...well in that case in the boosted brothers opinions ...which pistons and rods have you found to work best ??

kscherbaum
Car: 2004 Titan, 2006 Titan, VK56 powered Buggy, 1970 Datsun 510 2dr

I have to apologize ! I totally missed this reply... I guess it's better late than never ? It's a Serious Pre-Runner but not a race car. ( I guess you could call it a four seat Race Car ) Five Speed Sequential Mendeola trans... Here are some updated photos - The car is wired, sheetmetal done, power steering dialed in. I am currently working on the Itb's, Plenum, and throttle linkage... Really close to being done. (Also working on Stainless Steel Headers )

-Kurt

Meatro20

I'm trying to get rid of a VQ35HR/6spd right now to fund my VH45DE project. It'll be going into my 91 Volvo 740SE with a Z32 5-speed. Too much power to build the engine at first, the Volvo needs a bigger rear (Ford 9") and stronger subframe. I might put bigger wheels and brakes on it (I work at Wilwood, so hello discount) and then turbo the VH45DE. It will be rebuilt using new OEM parts by Coast Motor Supply in Canoga Park, CA.

So far it's got 25MM sway bars, Bilstein HD shocks, 2" lower sport springs, Borbet Type E wheels & Sumitomo HTR-Z tires.

donut-dweeb
Car: Nissan Cefiro A31

hi guys,

to start with this post I'm Joe-han and i'm from Malaysia. Interested to have this engine swap into my car and also prolly be the first to do this swap in my country Still learning on how to do this in a proper way as i'm quite worried and i don't wanna see my flywheel shooting out from my gearbox hehe. Anyway my project is to installed VH45 into a nissan Cefiro A31, hopefully in time to compete for Formula Drift Singapore early next year. Parts are cheap here but our living standards are low too so i still have some financial difficulties in building this up. fingers cross hopefully within end of this year or early next year

I bought this front cut from a nissan president around RM1500 which is USD420. Half sponsored by my supplier

Gearbox i'm planning to run RB25 5speed but at the moment i'm slightly out of cash so trying on a SR20 gearbox.. i'm sure it won't last but since i have extra 2 units so just trying to see if it runs

Picture of my car stripping down and engine vh45 entered just for measuring purposes

if you guys have any comments or so please do feel free to inform, i'm more then willing to learn
Modified by donut-dweeb at 8:19 AM 4/26/2009

1 phat laurie
Car: 1994 c34 nissan laurel

Hi im building a 94 c34 laurel. i originally bought it as a hack while my Subaru was off the road, but its in such good condition and handles so well for a stock mid-size car that i warmed to the idea of a conversion. anyway this is where its at so far......

'96 vh45de, w57 toyota box. (i chose this because its nice and light/compact compared to the 300zx and cheaper with close ratios. 9.5" exedy clutch with a custom billet flywheel behind the auto flexplate. link g2 computer. r33 GTS-T skyline four piston front calipers/300x30mm discs, two piston rear. five stud conversion. r33 skyline LSD rear end. tien hr adjustable suspension. heavy duty alloy radiator. cut down oil filter casting with oil filter/cooler relocation kit. also want to do cams

at the moment ive got the engine/gearbox sitting in the car. thinking about engine mounts and headers next. thanks for all the info so far.... might send up some pics soon

holeset
Car: r32 skyline

heres some more pics,still waiting for computer,will let people know power once tuned and what quater it does.

Modified by holeset at 4:55 PM 11/23/2008

donut-dweeb

some updates on the engine Transmission done. welding was okie but i'll be reinforcing it.
Modified by donut-dweeb at 8:23 AM 4/26/2009

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

lol looks loads better than my hybrid bellhousing thats for sure.

Johnny Rocket

Looking for anybody interested in a NA project engine. I have over 30 years of extensive engine building experiance in mostly NA engines and some turbos. I am interested in 4 valve engines and wanted to locate a good (meaning no hole in the block) junk engine to build back.

Ported cyl heads.headers/new intake/new cams

ECU would have to be calibrated of course. I want to move the torque peak up somewha and take out the two torque peaks that seem to be built into this engine from the factory.

Seems you guys run these engines up to 7300 rpm anyway?

I am looking for an engine and any players who might be interested?

district_drftr
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

hey whats up im jelani im in lima ohio but from washington dc

i have a 1995 nissan 240sx that im currently in the process of swapping a vh45de into and turboing it

i bought a whole 1993 q45 off a guy for 300 dollars, had 150k miles on it and is really clean

so far i got the KA outta my car and the vh is ready to come out of the q, im still in the early stages.

i plan on opening the engine up putting new bearings in it new piston rings, do a quick little flex hone.also mls gaskets arp head studs(dose anyone know where to get em) port and polish, and a 3 angle valve job ( potentially some supertech stiffer valve springs still thinking. im looking at some of the borg warner turbos like the bullseye series they are pretty cheap for their size and performance. oh and 440 cc injectors donno what im gonna do for a computer yet just wanna get the grunt work done for now

district_drftr

TODD0341
Car: 87 300ZX TURBO
94 Q45A

Jelani,

What are you doing with the remains of the Q45?

I have been searching everywhere for a decent 4.5l in our area, also a q45 proper. I think I have his every junkyard in Cleveland.

X-TuN

i heard the Vh45 bottoms ends are good to 500hp boosted on stock bottom ends. just wanted to know if the motor would have to be rebuild to reach these numbers... any info would be a big help.

donut-dweeb

Carl H : thanks alot Anyway i paid usd600 to have this bell housing cut and re-weld

donut-dweeb

some updates

This is how my inner bell housing looks like.

Engine in a out a couple of times just to get the correct adjustments..

My Safety 21 Roll cage with silver spray, sorry unable to take a complete shot.

This is how my interior will look like.. Just went and bought a few more on off switches, cut off switches and other electronic gagdets hehe. Don't think i could afford a motec and other management so got myself an e-manage ultimate + MAP. I'm planning to NOS this motor + if I could afford further then i'll work out a 8 throttle systems hell ya! lol

Friend of mine got me a surge tank, external pumps and an external fuel tank 35litre .. the used fuel pump was faulty so bought the new unit of borsch 910 2unit with merc fuel filters..
Modified by donut-dweeb at 8:28 AM 4/26/2009

district_drftr

TODD0341 wrote:Jelani,

What are you doing with the remains of the Q45?

I have been searching everywhere for a decent 4.5l in our area, also a q45 proper. I think I have his every junkyard in Cleveland.
i just need the engine harness and a few little things off the q45 the rest of the car im parting out or will sale whole for 800 bucks i guess just hit me up if ya need anything

romerider153
Car: twin turbo vh41 tube chassis s13, s14 and s13 ka-t daily, someone buy my s14

hey sean what did you use for clutch flywheel and tranny adapter i have a vh41 and z33 six speed but need to the too to bolt together

romerider153
Car: twin turbo vh41 tube chassis s13, s14 and s13 ka-t daily, someone buy my s14

i guess if im going to post in here and ask questions i should at least post my car picsdont give me crap about the sr i came to my senses and realized i like torque

donut-dweeb

most of the parts are done, everything should run smoothly now..

Some updates of my latest project.

Mufflers done too.\

My intake 3.5inch!

_XLR8_
Car: Nissan Patrol VH41

Hey guys, already hassled a few of you for advise so thought I should post up my project. The car is a 1990 Patrol High Roof and the engine is compliments of a 96 JDM Cima. To try and keep expenditure to a minimum, I am trying to utilise the factory computers.Converting the patrol box was just a matter of swapping the oil pump and input shaft and mounting using the VH bell housing. After fabbing new mounts it all sits in quite neatly although will require a body lift to close the bonnetJust a matter of wiring it all in, getting new shafts and extractors made and a few other little bits to tidy it all up and all should be good.

JOHNNY260Z
Car: 260Z

Carl H wrote:lol looks loads better than my hybrid bellhousing thats for sure.
HI...i'm from malaysia too. i am planning to swap a vh45de into my 260z too.may i know where did you re-weld your gear box and where did you swap your engine? i am thinking to ask the swaping service from the same garage you had. therefore it might be lesser problem.thanks

Dearlove
Car: R32 GTR, 190e (drift car)

what i have at the moment- a busted a** merc

Plans- vh41 with w58 gearbox and wield the diff, some strong but cheap clutch and rock hard suspensionyou may have noticed im going for the best bang for buck hereyes it will be a tight squeeze then, we drift

hoping to get enough power out of the engine with a re-tune and extractors to be able to smoke 3rd (round 300-350hp atw)as i dont have enough cash to throw turbo's at it yet

darinz
Car: Nissan Patrol

Ok, I'm starting a new project. I've sold the chasis, body etc from my Patrol but have kept most of the running gear etc. The plan is to fit all of that under a D21 Pathfinder. I have a 3 door 93 model that is getting stripped etc at present. The motor will sit half way through the firewall and I'll run with the same turbo setup I currently have. Also we are just trying to work out if we can fit 18" coilovers all round or wether we'll have to fit 14" to the front. It will have the same solid axles that I current have but will run a custom 4 link in the rear and standard Patrol radius arms at the front.We are building a full internal rollcage that will tie the shock mounts to the body and the body to the chassis. Factory body mounts will be binned and the rollcage will be used to solid mount the body to the chassis. The goal is to build it at about 1600kg to 1700kg and have around 400kw so with the rebuild we'll retune the motor and should get a little bit more than currently. The plan is to raise the rev limit to 7400rpm, start using the VVT and retune to run 98 octane full instead of avgas. The real build should start in the next week or so and hopefully will be ready to race by Feb next year. Hopefully we can get the cage approved by MSNZ so that we can do hillclimbs and rally spints as well as the offroad stuff we currently do.This one should be better in every respect to the orignal truck and should be seriously fast! 400rwhp should make for a few embarassed boy racers

Oh yeah it will still be road legal and my engineer has already given the approval to the basic idea!!!!

Fullyboosted
Car: 1993 Chopped Top 240sx Coupe, 84 S12 Coupe RB26 Powered

I have a 93 chop top S13 Coupe with a VH45DE custom 8.8:1 Compr. Forged pistons and Rods, custom Turbo Headers with Twin GT40 Turbos 4" exhaust etc... my goal 750-800+hp

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”