Tell us about your project!!!!

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
Ford Falcon
Car: '88 300ZX (to transform into a 450Z)

Mate,I know what you're saying, but I think there's access to more parts these days. I already have a spare Q45 bellhousing. My aim is to cut a few inches off the end of that, cut a few inches off a 350z tranny and either bolt, or weld them together. The Q flywheel is, I think, identical to the Z32TT flywheel.

What do you reckon? Will she fly?

RichZilla
Car: Y34 Gloria - VQ30DET 12PSi & 20"rims

My VH45 is in a 1620kg Mercedes. My Z31 weighs 1390kgs according to the rego papers. The mercedes canes, so the Z31 with a manual VH will definitely fly. I think the Merc would actually beat my VG30DET Z31 down the quarter.

tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

GarfieldGangsta
Car: Nissan Infiniti Q45, 90

Hey fellas.... I'm from Australia and have a 90 model q45 Infiniti.

It was a daily driver fro about 2 years before tranny problems forced it off the road. Once that happened, things just rolled on.

I had the gearbox completely rebuilt with manual valve body, kevlar bands, 3000rpm stally, hardened gears and external cooling.

Using a Microtech LT10s, I built my own manifold for a T04e running 10lbs.

JIC magic VIP coilovers replaced my Active ride height.

I stole the grill from a 93 Infiniti and had a custom body kit made.

Stereo is a Pioneer head unit with Lanzar 6.5' splits up front and 6' co-ax in the rear powered by an Alpine Flex5. 2 x 12' MTX subs running off an Alpine V12.

Tinted the windows. Nice and dark.

Still looking for a nice set of wheels. After black with machined lips. Either 19's or 20's

Thats about it so far... but its a work in progress...

irax
Car: VQ35DER Powered S14.3

SeanDean wrote:1989 240SX coupe1997 SIlvia nose1997 Q45 VH41DE2003 Z33 6speedBroward Powertrain driveshaft1999 Silvia rear subframeZ32 uprightsCustom cage by me

where can I get this VH to VQ 6speed adapter? building a budget drift Q45, and I incidently have a spare VQ35DE 6speed transmission laying around.

Luv2ski35
Car: 2002 Frontier lifted and beat hard

well as you might have gathered from all my questions, I want to put the q motor in my 2002 frontier crew cab long bed. As far as I know it'll be the first into a d22 chas.

First thhings first though. I am in the process of solid axle swapping it with a 84ish D44 axle out of a Jeep Wagoneer....as well as a tube bed, dual transfer cases, shortening of the wheel base and a handful of other things. With the 3.3 NA auto, 4.9 gears and 36" tires it's going to be one SLUG of a truck...hence the desire to put the 4.5 in it....my other option is a HP kit from this site http://www.importperformancepa....html but they don't make a KIT for my truck so I'll have to research that as well.....by the time either the Q swap or the HP kit is doen I figure the price will be about the same.....I would love to have that V8 growl in the end....

to follow the slow SAS build go here. http://www.nissanoffroad.net/m...918.0

I hope to do the bulk q motor swap research over the next year so that when I do get underway I won't run into too many unexpected issues. Love this site for that reason...so much info for me.

tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

Hopefully I'll have the majority of the wiring figured out to convert from a VG33 to the VH in the next year. Mine is getting close....putting a VH in my Pathfinder.

Luv2ski35
Car: 2002 Frontier lifted and beat hard

I'll be in touch I am sure...

VHS14
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX

Hello,</P>

This is my first post here, and let me kick it off by saying thanks to all you folks for turning me on to the VH swap idea. I have the feeling I'll be picking a lot of brains here in the future. I was waffling between KA-T, SR, RB power for my S14 for about 6 months when I found this site. About 4 weeks later I had my JDM VH45DE and Z32 TT 5 speed sitting on my garage floor ready to get to work, hehe. </P>

I bought my engine and trans from "JDM Tiger Japanese Auto" in Canada. Their prices were good. I got the engine/trans for about $1000 + a very reasonable $175 for freight. The engine was advertised as "25-35K Miles, 1996+, best condition". when it arrived, the engine and transmission were caked with sludge, and they were literally dripping with what smelled like diesel fuel (ghetto corrosion protection?), despite the claim that they would be "Thoroughly cleaned prior to shipment". Just about every part on the engine made of plastic was totally destroyed, embrittled by the fuel sitting on it for god knows how long, and put out of its misery completely upon disassembly. It has VTS so it wasn't really 96 (A BONUS!) but it has oval intake ports, so I'm guessing it's a '94-95? I'm satisfied with it now, because most of the ancilliary components are going in the garbage anyway, but I will probably not do business with these guys in the future. There were a few claims that didn't turn out to be true, and were too glaring to simply be oversights. If I had dropped 2 or 3 bills on an RB swap, and got something as questionable as this, I would have been SERIOUSLY steamed. </P>

After it sat and stunk my garage up for a few days, I sucked it up, and began ripping it all apart for a closer look. A couple weeks of scrubbing, and a gallon of Super Clean later...

I was relieved when I got the timing covers, valve covers and oil pan off There was just kind of a very light tannish brown film if anything on most of the parts, so it was pretty clean inside. It's either a genuine low mileage engine afterall, or the oil was changed religiously. either way, I didn't observe any obvious "red flags" that made me feel like I needed to start pulling heads off, or removing the crank, etc. Replacement parts for this motor are really expensive, so I'm opting for the innocent until proven guilty approach. I re-sealed the timing cover, oil pan, and valve covers, replaced the front and rear seals, and It's reassembled to the point that I'm going to have to start making some decisions. I figure the first order of business is the trans adapter, then mounts. Once it's sitting in there, I'll feel a lot better about everything else that needs to be done to get it going. </p>

This is going in my 1995 240sx SE.</P>

My Plan is to use a Megasquirt to control fuel as well as ignition, via a Ford EDIS-8 module. I'm totally opposed to cutting a hole in my hood, so I've been trying to read up a bit on intake manifold design "fundamentals". Admittedly, most of what I've read is WAY over my head. I'm serioulsy considering incorporating an Eaton M-90 supercharger From a Super Coupe T-Bird since they are dirt cheap, and I am prepared to make a whole new intake manifold anyway. I should be able to do it and still have it sit considerably lower than the stock foot tall intake. The supercharger would add a little complexity, but it should also compensate for a poor manifold design to some degree. I'm guessing that with premium fuel, it wouldn't kill anything to pulley it to run 2-3 psi of boost temporarily despite the ultra high static compression ratio? Once I have everything in there and running and driving, I can build it up properly for a moderate amount of boost.

I'm kind of intrigued by the intake/exhaust manifolds and the high mount alternator that I saw on the photos of the 4.1L further up on this post, will those manifolds clear the hood/body/steering? will they bolt up to the 4.5?</p>

Can anyone tell me if the dimension from the transmission mounting face on the block to the face of the flange on the crank is the same between the VH and VG engines? I'm measuring approximately .25" from the back of the block to the flange face on my VH. I can start working on my adapter plate as soon as I know this for sure.

Take care,

Matt

Modified by VHS14 at 3:25 AM 1/1/2008
Modified by VHS14 at 3:40 AM 1/1/2008

Quixoticjoe
Car: VH45DE powered 1932 ford pickup

I've been reading for a while, but this is my first post.

'32 Ford Pickup cab extended 12 inches. Top chopped 4 inches and floor channelled 4 inches. 2x3 square tube frame kicked up 3 inches in front and 10 inches in back with a Heiht indepent front end and a Art Morrison Triangulated 4 bar rear suspension. A 92 VH45DE N/A mated to a 94 300zx 5 speed manual with a Maxworks adapter and a ford 9 inch with 3:70 gears.

I'm running with no fenders or hood and making it as low as I can.

I could use any help that I can get with the wiring. I want to use aftermarket SW guages and to eliminate everything thats not needed in the wiring and on the engine.

ThanksQuixoticjoeDream Ride Builders

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

90 300 2+2 good shape, getting Vh45 from my 90Q, I have had for over 4 years.Looking to get adapter, fidenza, and Centerforce II next week, and get it rolling soon.

darinz
Car: Nissan Patrol

Quixoticjoe wrote:I could use any help that I can get with the wiring. I want to use aftermarket SW guages and to eliminate everything thats not needed in the wiring and on the engine.
I've used an Autronic ecu and a cdi this eliminates the ignitors so tidies up the ignition wiring. ie All I have is a loom that goes from under the coil cover to the cdi inside the cab. Going this way also means you can get rid of vitually everything not require to make the motor go. ie emission gear, air flow meter, O2 sensor etc. The factory ecu is fine but if you want tidy then go aftermarket.

Quixoticjoe
Car: VH45DE powered 1932 ford pickup

Thanks alot darinz,

I,ve checked out the system and it looks like what I need.

ThanksQuixoticjoeDream Ride Builders

darinz
Car: Nissan Patrol

Can't wait to see some photo's. Old school with high tech sounds good to me! Now all you need is a couple of turbo's on it as well!!!!!!!

thejapino
Car: '93 J30t

I just want to convert my G50 to manual. I've already picked up most of a Z32 5-speed setup so all Im looking for now are a flywheel and clutch kit, starter, and a custom driveshaft. Im waiting for Wes to finish his adapter plate and gathering wiring info for the time being. I just want a fun 4-door family hauler with V8/RWD goodness!

If anyone could enlighten me on how to run the motor without an automatic, that would be great. As far as I know, I'd have to trick the ECU into thinking its in neutral to start. Any ideas would be appreciated!

RichZilla

Find the two fattest wires on your inhibitor switch plug and join them together. This will bypass the neutral switch, therefore starting whenever you turn the key - in gear or not.

thejapino
Car: '93 J30t

Thank you very much richzilla. Any other wires I may have to worry about besides wiring reverse and swapping the speed sensors (if thats even necessary)?

RichZilla

Not as far as I know. Just unlug your auto ECU and you'll be sweet.

kiwivh
Car: Nissan Infiniti

Heres a few links to pictures of our project. Its a 24 seater jet boat powered by twin VH engines that have been carburated rather than injected

Enginehttp://kiwivh.zoints.com/album/?imgid=75886

Boathttp://kiwivh.zoints.com/album/?imgid=76826

Engine Bayhttp://kiwivh.zoints.com/album/?imgid=76827

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Now that is a cool project! Where will that boat be run?

kiwivh
Car: Nissan Infiniti

The boat operates out of Christchurch, New Zealand

cibor
Car: RS 13

Hi!My goal is to put VK45 from 2002 Q45 into my S13 200SX (stock - CA18DET) form 1989. Engine will recive new intake manifolds with dual throttle and new headers, light flywheel and 350Z/G35 6sp MT. What more... it'll appear during proper work - at the moment I'm waiting for engine. Probably engine will run on custom made SA unit made by OMEX (company from UK). Full drift suspension, interior with two seats and rollbar. Exterior - lightweight bonnet, fenders and trunk boot, maybe lighter driver and passanger windows. Aiming 360-380 hp at the crank (in Europe we used to talk about power at the crank...). This should be enough to compete with my friend's car's - S13 and S14 with SR20DET making more then 350hp each. I hope:)Here's photo with my other ride, 92 canadian version camry:)

Chrispy300
Car: 1993 J-Spec 300ZX 5 Speed Slicktop

Might as well add my AUD$0.02

Got a '90 J-Spec Z32 NA which is getting a '90-'93 VH45 with a dry sump and possibly turbo/s or supercharger down the line once she is all working. Being built mainly for the local Super Sprints and Super Lap. Should be fun

robb1971
Car: 1971 ford falcon

HiI have found this site to be a wealth of info ... thanks for all the effort you guys have put in.. I have a 45de that is going to be put into a 71 xy falcon.. kiwis and aussies will know what this car is found a good low k engine in a half cut to retain all needed ecu's and connectors, conversion is going to be a dog as the xy engine bay is small so i will be installing an after market front strut kit and notching the suspension towers to make room.. wiring is going to be fun, but it is do-able.. just need to know how to properly i.d the year of my engine.. I suspect its a 93 but i cant be sure, any help would be appreciated.. wiring is identical to the diagram in the 94 service manual though

Ford Falcon
Car: '88 300ZX (to transform into a 450Z)

Hey Robb1971, welcome to the board. Yes, the famous GTHO Falcon. As an ex-patriat Aussie it would be good to see some Falcons over the other side of the river. Can't have just the Monaros (ie. Pontiac GTOs) without some competition.

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

Here are some pics. Still got a few lil things to get like bolts for flywheeel-crank, and flywheel-pressure plate, and to get my mani's to connect to the h pipe. But almost there.

More pics to come in a week or so, and then a video or two.

npez
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (soon 2B twin-turbo 450ZX) 2002 BMW M3 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring (Mama)

My project is a 93 300ZX Twin-Turbo receving a 94 VH45 motor after a freak major bottom end failure on the VG30DETT at 76K miles. The project is a multi-phase approach (like others on NICO) consisting of a base setup and then something more; in my case a twin-turbo setup. The car is intented to be a strong GT street car. The basic idea is:

Phase I - Get the car running normally aspiratedEngine - Purchased - craigztoyz assisting with engine mount and oil pan fab Transmission - Mazworx Adapter to VG MT - Purchased - Planning on using existing RPS Cyn-R-G lightweight flywheel and RPS clutch.Fuel - Will use stock TT fuel pump and VH injectors. Sorting out bending fuel lines to the LH side of engine bay to better integrate with Zs setup. Craig excellent suggestionElectrical - Sorted out and in process of soldering "sister" harness to use z ECCS/EGI, etc. relays, fuel pump controlle, etc. into VH EFI harness - posted integration document on forum.

Phase II - Bring on the boost - Goal reliable 500-600RWHP (based on initial calculations about 14-18psig)Engine - Rebuild with 8.5 or 9:1 CR pistons and stronger rodsTurbos - TBD - Rear mounted Twin-Turbo intercooled setup researching turbo sizing based on NICO members experiences, Garrett website as well as Corky Bell's book. Not sure if I will be able to integrate my B&B exhaust or if it will restric airflow.Intercooler - TBD - Leaning on air to water setup possibly with A/C suction side integration Oil Cooler - Re integrate Calsonic TT oil cooler (bigger if needed)Fuel - Have a set of new 555cc NISMO injectors I purchased for the VG30DETT. Will either buy 2 more or if deemed too small will sell and bump up to higher capacity ones.Cooling - Install Z1 motorspors ultimate cooling package (Howe Radiator, Flex-a-lite fan, etc.) I purchased for the ZEngine Management - TBD - Leaning towards factory ECM and adding a romulatorOther - Will need to sort out MAF choking at this level of boost.

That's about it. I am trying to break this down to many small projects to make it happen but I still believe phase 2 is still 1 year away from phase 1 completion. The strategy is to design/purchase all the parts (3-6 months) and then take 3-6 months to integrate/install. I'll post pics of the progress soon.

Nick.

ktzed

'Nuff Said

kingkilburn
Car: '93 240SX

After waiting for about a year for the right motor to come my way I found a q45 at a local yard where all engines are $120 regardless of condition. I know I'm kinda jumping in feet first but wish me luck.

PS It's going in an S13 fastback. Plans are rear mount turbo at some point.

kscherbaum
Car: 2004 Titan, 2006 Titan, VK56 powered Buggy, 1970 Datsun 510 2dr

I have posted my project under the general topics but I thought I would post it here as well in case someone missed it... VK-56 Buggy in the works.

-Kurt

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”