Tell us about your project!!!!

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
dalman
Car: nissan b15

hi i'm new to this forum can i join in [dalman] :

450Z

I'm gled to see such interset in one of Nissan's best engines.My 450Z project has taken me much longer than I wanted, but I hope to have it running (certainly will not be painted by then) for my May 25 lapping day.For pics and vids see the following links:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/563982htt ... AiQNhsHere is a vid of my previous 240Z (orange one) with about 230hp, can't wait for the VH45DE 100 hp boost! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHx0UmPSco

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

Lots of pictures and info about my project...

http://www.godspeed-racing.com

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Wait a second.... you said the bellhousing of the ka and vh are the same? as in you can bolt a ka tranny to it.... or remove bellhousing and swap... so autobellhousing on manual ka tranny? I'm confused on your statement...

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Florida240sx wrote:Wait a second.... you said the bellhousing of the ka and vh are the same? as in you can bolt a ka tranny to it.... or remove bellhousing and swap... so autobellhousing on manual ka tranny? I'm confused on your statement...
definitely none of those statements are true.

if i remember correctly, superhatch is using the adapter to mate an RE4R03A trans bellhousing to a T400 trans.

twoeightythreez
Car: 1994 G50; 1995 Caprice wagon; 1969 Buick sportwagon

Sean, It looks like you're using cast iron exhaust manifolds? Can you please tell us what car they came from? Please? And if you could send me a set? My email is bryan . edgar @ verizon . net (pardon the spaces) My plans are to put the VH45 from my 95 Q into the 95 S14 I just bought, but with the auto for now. (it's currently auto and once I get the mounts it should be able to be mounted in a weekend that way without having to buy Z32 trans and adaptor plate and all the clutch stuff)

SuperHatch

twoeightythreez wrote:Sean, It looks like you're using cast iron exhaust manifolds? Can you please tell us what car they came from? Please? And if you could send me a set? My email is bryan . edgar @ verizon . net (pardon the spaces) My plans are to put the VH45 from my 95 Q into the 95 S14 I just bought, but with the auto for now. (it's currently auto and once I get the mounts it should be able to be mounted in a weekend that way without having to buy Z32 trans and adaptor plate and all the clutch stuff)
Sean's motor has cast iron manifolds because it is a VH41DE...

tech9914

vh45de onto z31, z32 manual trans ,z32ttdiff .. fairly new on this site can any one help me with the power steering pump location .. pics please.. thanks

450Z

not sure how wide your frame rails are on the Z31, but the pump would sit where my drivers side frame rail is on my 240Z conversion. I cut the frame rail off on the pass side for the alternater to fit. I quickly looked at putting the VH45DE in a Z31 an also noticed that the engine would interfere with the brake booster.good luck

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

450Z wrote:not sure how wide your frame rails are on the Z31, but the pump would sit where my drivers side frame rail is on my 240Z conversion. I cut the frame rail off on the pass side for the alternater to fit. I quickly looked at putting the VH45DE in a Z31 an also noticed that the engine would interfere with the brake booster.good luck
HR31 engine bay is pretty much the same as Z31. The alternator is going to be a problem with the VH45, not sure about the power steering (it's fine with my 41).

The brake booster however, needs to be swapped out for an 80s Pulsar booster. I just found one recently, it appears to be a small enough diameter not to interfere with the head, but still long enough to drive the brake master cylinder sufficiently. I'll put pics up when I can be bothered.

twoeightythreez
Car: 1994 G50; 1995 Caprice wagon; 1969 Buick sportwagon

mtcookson wrote:
Since you're going for drag racing you may consider swapping the Q45 differential in. Its an R200 as well but uses the same axles as the 300ZX TT, which are huge. Plus its a lower ratio, which with the turbo setup, should make you faster on the strip. If the diff itself has a hard time staying together you may considering trying to fit the TT differential, which is an R230. Translation... its slightly bigger than the Ford 9 inch

I can't remember if the subframes are different or just the arms. I know at the very least, the subframe design between the 240 and 300 are very, very similar, which would make it easier for the differential swaps.
The subframes are almost identical. Also the Q45 subframe is also very similar. (almost identical to the S14's only wider!) so similar, in fact, that I bought and entire subframe so I could swap the hubs, rearend (3.54 VLSD R200 w/ 300zx halfshaft cv's) axles and some control arms.I wanted to use the neato aluminum spindles but don't want to spend $$$ for custom shocks when my 1k car already had tokico springs and shocks on it. Now, maybe you can help me find a solution for the left side halfshaft length issue ?The right side is easy, just use the left side halfshaft from the Q45, same exact length! Only problem is the other one is 2 inches too long (yes I know that's what she said too) ...not...

SuperHatch

elwesso wrote:
definitely none of those statements are true.

if i remember correctly, superhatch is using the adapter to mate an RE4R03A trans bellhousing to a T400 trans.
I did not say the bellhousings are the same, I said the transmissions are the same but the bellhousings are different.

As an example, my VH is in my S14 using a VH bellhousing bolted to the stock KA transmission. This is simply to assist in mocking up my motor mounts.

Every RWD nissan RE4R01A and RE4R03A transmission uses the same bolt pattern between the bellhousing and the tranny. Because of this, I can use an adaptor made for a Z32 VG bellhousing -> TH400 on my VH bellhousing to mate it to a TH400.

scorean
Car: '89 240sx Coupe KA-T

SuperHatch wrote:
...my VH is in my S14 using a VH bellhousing bolted to the stock KA transmission...

Every RWD nissan RE4R01A and RE4R03A transmission uses the same bolt pattern between the bellhousing and the tranny...
Reeeaaally... I'm in the planning stages of my swap and have been wondering about the possiblity of just using the ka transmission due to the fact that it would make the swap a lot easier with things like shifter location, drive shaft, tranny mount, etc. I thought I would have to make an adapter like everyone else...

Just so I understand your setup:When you attach the VH bellhousing to the KA transmission, how is the fitment. I guess what I'm asking is what is the length of the VH compared to the KA and what is the length of the VH bellhousing compared to the KA bellhousing?

Just so everyone is clear, I realize that the z32 is a lot stronger than the KA transmission. However, people are putting some pretty serious power through their transmissions with their KA24DE-T's. I'm interested in seeing how well one stands up to the torque of a VH45DE. If it turns out to be adequate for a DD/light weekend auto-x, it would make this swap substantially easier and cheaper. If not, oh well - the transmissions are practically free and nothing has been lost in the experiment.

SuperHatch

scorean wrote:
Reeeaaally... I'm in the planning stages of my swap and have been wondering about the possiblity of just using the ka transmission due to the fact that it would make the swap a lot easier with things like shifter location, drive shaft, tranny mount, etc. I thought I would have to make an adapter like everyone else...

Just so I understand your setup:When you attach the VH bellhousing to the KA transmission, how is the fitment. I guess what I'm asking is what is the length of the VH compared to the KA and what is the length of the VH bellhousing compared to the KA bellhousing?

Just so everyone is clear, I realize that the z32 is a lot stronger than the KA transmission. However, people are putting some pretty serious power through their transmissions with their KA24DE-T's. I'm interested in seeing how well one stands up to the torque of a VH45DE. If it turns out to be adequate for a DD/light weekend auto-x, it would make this swap substantially easier and cheaper. If not, oh well - the transmissions are practically free and nothing has been lost in the experiment.
Read my posts closely. I am talking AUTOMATIC transmissions here, NOT manual transmissions.

The bellhousing length on all RWD nissan automatic transmissions is also the same.

scorean
Car: '89 240sx Coupe KA-T

So the front half of the Q45 auto transmission won't bolt up to the back half of a KA transmission? I realize that neither one has what could be considered a removable bellhousing, but they both have a body that will split in half... right?

Also, what are the series designators for these transmissions? I would appreciate it if someone could let me know so I would have to sound like such a tool by calling them the "KA" or "VH" transmissions.

Sam

SuperHatch

scorean wrote:So the front half of the Q45 auto transmission won't bolt up to the back half of a KA transmission? I realize that neither one has what could be considered a removable bellhousing, but they both have a body that will split in half... right?

Also, what are the series designators for these transmissions? I would appreciate it if someone could let me know so I would have to sound like such a tool by calling them the "KA" or "VH" transmissions.

Sam
You're still not getting me...

RE4R01A = Stock KA AUTOMATIC TransmissionRE4R03A = Stock VH AUTOMATIC Transmission (and VG-TT fyi)

The VH never came with a manual transmission.

All Nissan RWD AUTO transmissions are interchangeable if you swag bellhousings, which is what I did. I have my VH in my S14 using a stock VH AUTO bellholusing mated to a stock KA AUTO tranny backhalf.

You CAN NOT use an auto bellhousing on a manual transmission.

Every nissan RWD Auto transmission SHOULD be considered a removeable bellhousing. ~10 bolts and they're off, the transmission never needs to be taken apart.

To bolt a manual tranny to a VH you need an adaptor, period, end of story...

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

SuperHatch wrote:To bolt a manual tranny to a VH you need an adaptor, period, end of story...
I think myself and ultrapulse disagree with you there.

But I do get what you're saying.

SuperHatch

Mettler wrote:
I think myself and ultrapulse disagree with you there.

But I do get what you're saying.
IIRC you used a modified VH bell on a toyota trans, correct? The fact that it didn't all just "bolt" together means you adapted it in my book.

Symantics, I know... but you get the idea.

I just don't want people thinking that there is a true 100% bolt on (with no fabrication whatsoever) manual trans out there for the VH, there just isn't....

Leadfootedone
Car: 300zx NA time attack

Starting with a 94 300ZX N/A To be converted to VK45 all wheel drive. So here's what I've got so far. Transmission wise I'm gunna use the getrag from a GTR with a custom bell housing(somebody tell me something about this), and transfer shaft. Gotta lower the front subframe so the axles will clear, and then re work the motor and trans mounts. I'll use r33 gtr CV outers, and M45 CV inners, with a custom axle shaft. R33 hubs and front suspension will take care of the front end, but I'll have some negotiating to do with the rack. Final trim will include, a manual Variable center diff., Manual brake bias control, front line lock to **** with people at the strip. Twin Turbo, side Exhaust dumps etc. etc. ....
Modified by Leadfootedone at 5:33 PM 6/1/2007

ALMOST450SX
Car: 1990 240SX

the planbuy cheap *** car1990 240sx 400.00get it running 200.00figureout i want more hpbuy a 3.8l out of a supercharged thunderbird3.8 400.00let the mayhem begin

78Tori
Car: 78' UC Torana

Hey all whats goin on. I'm jarrod and i'm aussie so excuse me if you have no idea what my car is lol.

I own a 1978 Holden UC torana 4dr, plans are for it to get a VH45DE, which i can get for bout $1,200 with loom and gearbox. Then to fit a skyline diff into it just for something now. Gettin bigger brakes (330m front, 310mm rear) 4 pot calipers, 18" wheels, mini tubs in rear, 65ltr drop tank, all custom manifold cross-flow, custom cold air adaptable plenums (probably over the radiator sort), PWR trans, oil cooler and radiator, upgraded fuel system, bigger injectors, custom cams, custom chip and engine mappin, better fuel management program. Upgraded suspension with racecar-like setup, hoping to move engine deeper into body to gain better centre of gravity, and so air bags can fit in front of engine to provide high stability and ride height. Later on i wish to twin turbo it to keep up with my brother and my mate, my best mate is planning on a similar build to his exact same car but with the lexus 4.3ltr v8. Tell me what you reckon of my project or any suggestions.

Cheers

RichZilla
Car: Y34 Gloria - VQ30DET 12PSi & 20"rims

I'm in the process of putting a VH45DE into an '81 Mercedes 280SE. I was originally going to put a 1UZ-FE in, but couldn't get a suitable one for a couple of months, so this was the next option.

I bought the car three weeks ago on an impulse after a customer had it towed in with a blown motor.

I removed the trashed 2.8l six last weekend to discover the Merc has a MASSIVE engine bay! However, after a trial fit today things weren't looking too good. The bellhousing fouls on the steering box, the alternator fouls on the driver side chassis rail, the oil filter assembly fouls on the passenger side rail, the starter motor hangs up on the crossmember, the engine won't fit with standard exhaust manifolds and the transmission almost looks too big for the tunnel.

But its nothing a bit of cutting, welding and some smart thinking can't sort out.

RichZilla

Made gearbox crossmember and engine mounts today. Bastard of a job to get the engine to fit. I still need to modify the rails somewhat to get the alternator and oil filter assembly to fit.

I'll pull the engine out next saturday and sort that out. While the engine is out, I'll do a bit more grinding in the bellhousing area and plate up the section of the crossmember that I cut out.

Did this for starter motor clearance.

Note that I had to cut the head to clear the steering box adjusting bolt. Also, if you look closely, you'll see I had to cut a section out of the bellhousing. Also to clear the steering box. Don't try this at home kids.

Now you see why I had to cut the bellhousing

Gearbox crossmember. I somehow lost the Merc one and had to make a new one. No big deal though.

Turned out really nice.

Engine mounts. I had to cut the little stabiliser shock absorber things off the front of the crossmember to attach mounts.

Engine finally mounted. I wish I could have put it further back in the engine bay, but the steering box said no.

Dynastyf31
Car: 1991 Infiniti M30

Im planning on swapping a VH45 into My 1991 Infiniti M30.

I'm still in the early stages but ill prob do:VH45DEZ32 TT Trans/flywheel/clutch/starterMega SquirtCustom Headers and that's prolly about it. I wanna keep the motor as stock as possible.

defrag010

sick!!! I think I remember you off of f31club. I bought a cream colored M30 last year, and was going to do the same swap, but an illegal mexican in a ford truck rammed into it while it was parked out by the curb

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

I'm using a T70 Master Power turbo, Tial wastegate, and tial BOV. I'm using a Shurflo 8000 series pump to scavenge the oil from the turbo. I have done all the fabrication and installation myself and think it turned out nice.

Here are some photos of the install process. As they say a pictures worth a thousand words....

This is the muffler that was replaced by the turbo.

Here's my T4 Flange pipe

The is the Y pipe I made to join the OEM dual exhaust

Here's an early test fit of the turbo

Y pipe installation

Here's the exhaust extension w/T4 Flange and flex joints

Extension pipe installation

Here's the compressor tubing

Final mounting and oil lines

Oil feed from filter sandwich plate

Oil pressure sending unit and feed flow needle valve

Oil return line w/modified fuel filter as oil return sightglass

Final mounting

Final mounting with chrome tips

Exhaust heat wrapped and painted compressor tubing.

Gauges

Here's a few videos, I'll do some more and post, I'm not happy with how these came out. Can't hear the turbo good enough and that's the coolest part!Revving in park

High speed flyby

BOV demo.

The oil pump is in the trunk and still needs to be permanently mounted as of the time of this post. I'll post a pic of it when it's done. Still have a few small items to complete and get to work on the tuning so I can turn up the boost.

sleepersinc.
Car: Nissan 240sx/ infiniti q45

well for my project ive bought a 1991 q45 im going to do 2 stages on this thing since i have to finish up the other car i have at the same time

stage 1: aka vip q

rebuild enginefix the little things like interior weld chasisfix sunroof fix window switchnew fuel pumpnew brakesexhaustcoiloverspaintroll fendersbuy rims in the 18x10 and 18x11or 12 style

stage 2: aka drift vip

twin turbo5spd cagesuspension

the reason why im attacking the car like this is cause i just really want a nice looking car to take the girls and homeys out in hence im doing all of the maintainence first plus to me it sets up a great place to start when i go to stage 2 i wont have to worry about little **** breaking ( which i cant stand) plus i have a drift car so i cna peice the hard to find **** like turbos and trans and that stuff while i still drift in hawaii when i crash the 240sx beyond repair the q45 will going on the chopsaw

on a side note im looking for some after market pistons for the vh45 engine lower compression please if anyone can point me in the direction please email me or feel free to message me with the web adress or info

[email protected]

Car: R32 Skyline

Hey All.

Im working on putting a JDM vh41de into my r32 sedan drift car. This particular car i have owned and drifted for a little over a year and a half, previously powered by an r33 rb25det and using a rb25det 5spd transmission, although my previous daily/drift hack had 3 different rb20dets. After cracking a piston in the rb25det i have sold off the remaining parts of it (greddy intake manifold, head, injectors etc) and summoned enough coin to pick up a vh41de:D Just trying to plan out my manual conversion issues (as id like to run the rb25det gearbox) before i go ahead with the project. Ill keep you all updated:)

The car in its former glory:

Ford Falcon
Car: '88 300ZX (to transform into a 450Z)

Greetings all,

My VH45DE is planned to be dropped into my 1988 Z31 300ZX.The donor car is a '91 Q45.I took the engine out last weekend, and this weekend I've taken out the fuel pump, differential and half shafts. I have only performed basic measurements of the engine and I've heard the brake boost cylinder might get in the way, but I'm considering replacing the vacuum booster with a hydraulic setup, or perhaps the Nissan Pulsar booster.My next step is to see whether or not the subframe on the Q will measure up with the Z31. I don't like the rear-subframe of the z31, and would rather use something that is more stable/adjustable, as I don't care for the z31 rear "squat".The transmission I am looking to use will probably be from a G35/350Z.

I'm still reasearching this setup, so I'm open to any suggestions out there.

RichZilla

Man, have fun! I thought about putting a VH45 in my '85 Z31 five years ago, but didn't want to spend the cash on getting a manual box behind the VH. I went for a VG30DET instead.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”