Telescoping Steering Wheel Malfunction

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
jonkarn
Car: EX35 Balc/Black

Wow, surprised to see so many with the same issue, although it makes me feel better. Picked up mine on 12/20, and everything seemed fine, I tried the telescoping feature while the dealer was in the car and it was fine. Later that day I started hearing some weird grinding, like the sound of a gear at the end of its turning cycle, so I figured it was just trying to over telescope past its end point. it was still telescoping though. Then today, all I hear is grinding and no telescoping, tilt works fine though. Guess this is a major problem for the EX. Sucks I have to know bring the car in for service the first week I have it. Although this problem is not a huge issue the car can still be driven, I just turned off automatic wheel adjusting. car is great otherwise. I will check back in with any updates about the service of this problem.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Welcome to NICO, jonkarn!!

Cheers,David

RobertN
Car: Infiniti EX35

I posted on 12/20/08 that I was beginning to have problems with the telescoping / tilt function of the steering column. Problem at that time was it would randomly choose when IT wanted to auto adjust for me. Then about a month ago the steering column would "clunk" rather loudly as the telescoping would be going in or out. So of course I know the future was inevitable. Sure enough......this weekend the telescoping would make a terrible grinding noise and the steering would absolutely not move. I can tilt it up and down but the telescoping will not move at all. I will be having a "discussion" with the dealer on Monday!

At this point I officially regret buying an Infiniti and will do whatever I can to use it as a trade in for a different vehicle. I will take a financial hit but at this point I am very disappointed with the quality of Infiniti and

This is coming from a person that bought a G37 that was repurchased by Infiniti due to a major engine problem they could not repair. So I turned around and bought the EX35.

My EX35 has had the fuel pump replaced, the right side passenger mirror cover broke off, the drivers seat has a constant "creaking" noise (and no its not because of my weight --- only 140 lbs.... ), the "flap" over the rear hatch constantly comes off, and now the steering mechanism. Oh yea and the steering auto adjust still chooses when IT wants to auto adjust. I'm sorry but a new vehicle should NOT have this many minor and major issues.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles. Other than something getting on the rotors of my G37, which required them turned (under warranty), I have not had any issues with it in 14k miles. My 2k2 Maxima has 140k miles on it and the only problems have been with the power seat switch.

You simply have bad luck or something?

jonkarn
Car: EX35 Balc/Black

I had previously posted about the telescoping problem in my EX after leasing back in Dec. Infiniti took the car in the next week, and it turns out it needed the whole steering column replaced and not just the tele. mechanism. However they had the steering columns in stock(probably b/c of the frequency of this problem) and they were able to replace within an hour. Quick service, friendly, and I was out of there without any prblems. I haven't had any issues with the power adjusting since then.

No other problems with the car, other than some vibrations of the plastic on the doors when I play the radio loud, and a slight bulging of the leather on the drivers seat between the stitching which is a minor detail for me.

yorker
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 with Premium & Driver Assist,
2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD Black/Black with Prem & Nav,
2005 Acura TSX

I got the EX35 on 5/15 (2 weeks ago) in NYC, and I had asked the salesman specifically whether the steering column and fuel pump recalls were already fixed for the car, to which he said yes. Surprise, surprise, the steering wheel telescope doesn't work as of yesterday.

In addition, I had bought the car with NJ address for registration, and they had my new NJ plates ready the week after, all good. But turns out I have to go to NJ DMV myself for new car inspection sticker (currently has NY's), although I didn't have this hassle when I had purchased my Acura TSX in NYC.

I'm VERY dissatisfied with Infiniti.

cjre1
Car: Infiniti EX35 Journey

Yorker,

What is your production date on the car? You can find this on the sticker located on the inside of the drivers side door.

Thanks.

tondraj

I bought my EX on 4/30. This past weekend with around 1800 miles on it, the telescoping steering wheel stopped working. I'm not too concerned with it since I knew it was going to happen. Mine was built in Feb. '08.

cjre1

Let me get this right. You bought this car in april of this year or last year?

tondraj

This year. Less than a month ago.

atlex35
Car: 2006 Red/Black G35 Coupe and 2009 Black/Black FX35

tondraj wrote:This year. Less than a month ago.
I just had the steering colum replaced in my 09 FX35. The unit worked fine but since I had the car at the dealership they asked if I wanted the TSB done.

They gave me a QX56, came back later in the day and everything was done. They even detailed the car for free (not just a wash but full detail).

cjre1

That is why I bought an Infiniti because of the service is awesome. Most Infiniti dealers are rated number 1. When they have the car for a day or longer, they will do a full detail.

kmcewan
Car: 08 EX

My 2008 EX lost its telescoping at 14000 miles. It was non-responsive and made a grinding/humming noise. It is still under warranty, so the motor was replaced. However, I took the liberty of doing some maintanence earlier than I would have otherwise. I wonder if turning of the automatic seat and wheel settings would be easier on that motor, or if I should just anticipate paying for a new motor in another 14,000 miles. This car is pretty and great fun to drive. My only other concern is the blind spots seem a smidge bigger.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Welcome to the Site.

My Wife and I have different Seat-position settings, but maintain the same Steering-wheel position... so that helps redusce wear and tear.

sg77
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

kmcewan wrote:My 2008 EX lost its telescoping at 14000 miles. It was non-responsive and made a grinding/humming noise. It is still under warranty, so the motor was replaced. However, I took the liberty of doing some maintanence earlier than I would have otherwise. I wonder if turning of the automatic seat and wheel settings would be easier on that motor, or if I should just anticipate paying for a new motor in another 14,000 miles. This car is pretty and great fun to drive. My only other concern is the blind spots seem a smidge bigger.
There was a recall for the telescoping part. When I brought my 2008 EX in for an oil change, they said they wanted to replace the telescoping part, without me even saying anything about it (and I hadn't had any problems with it). Did you previously have that part replaced as part of the recall, and now the new part failed? If this is the first time it's been replaced, maybe the replacement part is improved and less likely to fail than the original one.

I never adjust the telescoping anyway; I always have it out all the way (and a minor complaint I have is that it doesn't go out as far as I'd like). I disabled the "entry/exit function" (where it moves the seat & steering column every time you enter/exit), since that didn't seem at all useful for me.

allthatjazz
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx EX35 Tech

allthatjazz wrote:The retractable steering wheel is definately one of the best convenience feature on the EX35. Even though I could be saving the gears from wearing out, I definately will not be turning off this feature. I have turned off the convenience feature on the seat ... I didn't want to wait until the seat stopped sliding back to hop out of the car.

I am wondering how many months did you own your vehicle, before the malfunction occured?
Well, the gears for the steering column convenience feature finally died back on April 2011 after making a horrible grinding/cranking sound; both gears were replaced under warranty. I was told that the warranty on the steering column has been extended to 7yrs as Infiniti is aware of the defect.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Just recently, my Infiniti Dealer did a service to the Steering Column, even though I experienced no problems with it.

JRampon
Car: Infiniti FX 35 AWD 2009
Audi TT Roadster 2010
VW Fox 1.6 Prime iMotion 2010

Hello!
I'm new to the group. I bought FX35 2009, tilt and telescopic did not work. Engines running but steering wheel does not move.
Does anyone guide how to take out the two engines? I removed all the parts around in the they did not leave. How should I proceed?
In my country has no Infiniti Concessionary, I live in Brazil.
Thanks in advance

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

JRampon wrote:Hello!
I'm new to the group. I bought FX35 2009, tilt and telescopic did not work. Engines running but steering wheel does not move.
Does anyone guide how to take out the two engines? I removed all the parts around in the they did not leave. How should I proceed?
In my country has no Infiniti Concessionary, I live in Brazil.
Thanks in advance
Looks like you might be in the wrong forum, as this one is for the EX, not FX.

Anyway, here is a link on this site to the factory service manual for your car.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/FX/2009/

The steering section is covered in the ST.pdf file. Good luck.

JRampon
Car: Infiniti FX 35 AWD 2009
Audi TT Roadster 2010
VW Fox 1.6 Prime iMotion 2010

Thanks NJGuy
I'm a lost beginn :confused:

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”