Tax refund shopping list. Suggestions/critiques welcome.

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Cams
Car: 1993 Nissan 200sx CA18(DET) RS13
2002 Mitsubishi Airtrek JDM 4G63T (wife)
2013 Scion FR-S
2016 Infiniti QX50

I want a WS harness so bad! Maybe attempt a semi tuck in behind the fuel rail, below the intake plenum. Not sure it would fit.

Sorry I didn't see you post earlier. Yes, you need to clock the compressor housing very slightly in order to clear the exhaust manifold. For the wastegate actuator we released the clip holding the shaft that held it to the actual wastegate, spun the shaft 180° and reclipped, using the factory bends on the shaft. No modifications needed.

Red_CA_Silvia
Car: CA18DE(T) S13 Coupe

ENGINE IS BACK IN!!! Currently taking a quick break from putting in the new WS harness. (Had to look up the DSM to CA18DET dropping resistor wiring).

Old harness did actually have a pin#8 wire, just didn't go anywhere and was taped up. Gonna try to get the harness and butterflies sorted before I go to bed this morning and tomorrow afternoon, I should be ready to actually crank it up. Hoping that the non-adjustable wastegate that came with the GT2560 turbo is a 7psi, and not a 14psi.

@Cams - The WS harness is going in fairly easy, and they even wired up my Apexi boost controller when they made my harness. No wire clips!

Red_CA_Silvia

Got the engine started long enough to back the car down the ramps. Had to stop, because apparently my old engine mounts are worn to the point where my steering rod u-joint just hits the bottom of the hot section of my turbo. New NISMO mounts ordered. Will also finish up the butterfly solenoid setup. Thursday or Friday it should be ready for break-in. (Finally.) But for now it's back to the normal world of industrial maintenance. >.< 12 hour shifts suck, especially when you want to finish your car.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

So close! Vids or ban! LOL

Izento
Car: RPS13

O.o This is gettin good!

Red_CA_Silvia

Engine mounts swapped. Let me tell you, that wasn't any fun. Ran out of time on the butterflies, but I've got the bracket made up, just need to run the wires.

Question for the group: Looks like I'm having clutch issues, either the master or slave cylinder is wonky. Does anyone know if the KA slave will work, or should I just go on and order the NISMO one from FRsport payday? Gonna swap out the master too, but I figure the 240sx one is what's in my car now.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

KA/SR/CA all use the same slave. Master is chassis dependant, but all S13's, regardless of the engine, use the same master.

Red_CA_Silvia

Awesome, thanks float! Hey... does anyone have a AC bracket they'd be willing to sell me? The only one I've been able to find online is eBay and it's in Australia. More to ship than the part is worth. I thought I had one, but it must have been in with the parts that my ex got rid of. ...including a WORKING Apexi boost controller. :(

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Don't worry man, I've been following this thread behind the scene, so rest assured that if needed, I'll jump in (others are doing just fine with helping) ;) . As for break-in, very important not to idle it too much. You have a very small window to make it happen and I want you use that window to do this correctly. You spent good money on a platform that supports over 600+whp with the "proper" supporting mods and in order to hold true to this, I need you to follow the advice that's given. you look you're well on your way and I look forward to you really enjoying your investment :yesnod.

P.S. I'll check for an extra A/C bracket and get back with you one way or the other.

Red_CA_Silvia

Thanks, Dee! The car is actually ready to break in, I just won't get another day off until next week, unless I take a half day Wednesday or Thursday. And I do have the one break in page saved that I think both you and Ryan use. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm Just to make sure that is the way you want me to do it.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Can't go wrong with it, but your break-in will require you to follow it near exactly the way it is written. One exception is, I need you to change the oil within the first 5 mile or 20 miutes of operation and the reason is that your cross hatch was a little coarser than the norm. Deceleration or engine breaking will be what sets your rings correctly, so get use to it for the next 500 miles :dblthumb:

Red_CA_Silvia

Can do. I got several oil filters and lots of oil when I got the fluids. It's good to have a friend that's the manager of the local O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I get a GOOD discount.
As to the engine braking.. I was taught to use that more than the actual brakes on a manual transmission car. I'm in the habit. Only exception is my bike, and that's only because it's a solid lifter very high compression engine. It...grumbles when engine braking.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”