Swapping 2nd gen Rogue head units to get latest features

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Mommaofboys wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:57 pm
Did this work? I was looking to do the same
Your question has been answered. Please READ the previous posts in this thread.

aljwaadyyaser
Car: Nissan Rogue 2017 SV

Hi Sorry a did some mistakes like reporting my Interst post as spam “new on my beloved incoclub”

Mcguyver_3
Car: 2016 Rogue

Take a look at the wiring diagrams I posted. There are 2 separate camera connections
Camera V+
CaMera GND -
DO NOT USE THESE

further down you will see
Camera comp +
Camera comp shield
Use those for camera hook up

The 16/17 does NOT have
V CAN

BUT...

Hook it up to regular

Can

This will make reverse, camera, illumination regain full functionality. At least it did on mine. I’m having trouble with apple car play

Mcguyver_3

After sitting down and comparing the USB ports, 16 is different from 17, and they are both different from 18. The USB port I have that is on the way is from a 19 kicks. The pin diagrams match the 18 rogue. Once that port shows up, I will have a final answer

aljwaadyyaser

Hi
The solution for CarPlay in the attachment fig.
Plase I need same informations from you
Thanks
https://i.imgur.com/XG3NZBo.jpg

Mcguyver_3

I posted this 2 or 3 posts up but here is a copy of what I posted
Take a look at the wiring diagrams I posted. There are 2 separate camera connections
Camera V+
CaMera GND -
DO NOT USE THESE

Camera comp +
Camera comp shield

The 16/17 does NOT have
V CAN

BUT...

Hook it up to regular

Can

This will make reverse, camera, illumination regain full functionality. At least it did on mine

Thank you for the carplay help

Mcguyver_3

https://imgur.com/QvKwQZO

https://imgur.com/dGmtYi1

Please have a look at the wiring match ups, that should help you

aljwaadyyaser

Thank you very much...mcguyver_3
about pin to pin digram
But my problem not solved
l will cancel the idea
Best wishes

Mcguyver_3

Before you give up, what year is your car?
Which camera system do you have?
I have the all round view camera maybe try the other 2 camera connections that I did not use? The reason I didn’t use them is because when I had them hooked up, I had a blue screen.
Does your car recognize reverse when it’s in reverse?

aljwaadyyaser

Hi
My car 2017 360 view (4 camera)
1-not connected camera v+ & camera _(camera vcc)
When put stack on R the screen go to black but no
Picture .In this case the picture (360)appear 7 sce and disappear If I connected Small load (lamp) between vcc of camera

2- The rear camera (not 360) work when I direct
Connecting by using coaxial wire vcc and signal it work normal just on R mod
Thank you
Best wishes

Mcguyver_3

I have a 16, but the 17 radio I had in there for a short while worked without issues. I would highly suggest taking the harness you made back out and recheck your connections.
Something sounds like it’s mixed up or in the wrong location. Also, is your car right hand drive or left hand? I doubt that they would change things around, but stranger things have happened

cod90
Car: ???

Mcguyver_3 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:38 am
Camera V+
CaMera GND -
DO NOT USE THESE

Camera comp +
Camera comp shield

The 16/17 does NOT have
V CAN

BUT...

Hook it up to regular

Can

This will make reverse, camera, illumination regain full functionality. At least it did on mine. I’m having trouble with apple car play

Hi,

Did you get CarPlay working?

Have everything set-up in mine, just CarPlay troubles.

Mcguyver_3

A couple of posts up there is a description of how to make it work with the older USB ports. I did not go this route. I ended up buying the proper USB port off ebay and wired it in. So yes I did get it working, but I had to buy more parts
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/18-19-NISSAN-RO ... 1438.l2649

That's exactly what you will need, but I am not purchasing that because shipping and import to Canada makes it more than the item.

LLlPAM
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL

Hi everyone! Need some help about pinout of connector 2018 SL (with carplay, android avto, and nissan connect)
Just want to switch this head to china analog named Teyes, which have much more functionality.
But its looks like mcguyvers pin to pin guide not working for my head device pinout :ohno: / Please take a look on photo.

https://imgur.com/mVgGpkv
https://imgur.com/2DM42VG
https://imgur.com/7Hle6iJ
https://imgur.com/rs7Icb3
https://imgur.com/xupuBC4
https://imgur.com/MkcJFJl

Jeffsweeten
Car: 2016 Nissan Rouge

gtcdma wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:20 pm
Hi! Is anyone here still interested in the OEM nav upgrade for 2014-2016 Rogue? I have a solution for you.

Can I still get one of these adapters

Jeffsweeten
Car: 2016 Nissan Rouge

Can I still get one of these adpters

sad9499
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

Hi. Are you still making these wiring harness.
I have a 2016 Rogue SV non navigation but with xmsirius. I pwant to install a 2014 Rogue unit with navigation.

If you are still making can you send me a link where I may purchase one set

cod90
Car: ???

kingxavier24 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:01 pm
Hey there everyone! I have a 2016 Rogue SV with the factory Navigation and the 360 birds eye camera. I am wanting to replace the head unit with one from a 2018 so I can get the extra features and carplay etc.

I have looked everywhere and can not find this being done. I do know that the Harness is bigger in the 2018 and can not find that harness on the internet anywhere.

I am wondering if this is something that can be done and if anyone else on here has attempted to do this.

Thanks!
Hey, it’s been well documented here:

https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtop ... =29&t=9796

Easy enough to do! But a dealer needs to code the radio to the car.

EDVIV
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV

gtcdma wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:20 pm
Hi! Is anyone here still interested in the OEM nav upgrade for 2014-2016 Rogue? I have a solution for you.

Hi

Where to buy this kit?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

SPECIAL NOTICE!

The wiring harness (for those that missed it) was being offered for sale by member gtcdma through his eBay page. As he didn't share that info publicly, there are no links to post here.

Also gtcdma has not been a member of this forum since MAY of 2018. No idea why he's no longer here, but it does mean that requests to him will go unanswered.

Nismotorres
Car: Nissan Rouge

I been looking for that harness everywhere I might need to wire it myself I want to upgrade from my 28185-4ba0a to 25915-4ba0a but still interested in that new harness

snapshotphoto
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Anyone have any luck finding that converter harness posted?

snapshotphoto
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I'm def trying to buy that adapter harness posted. Anyway else making it?

joeyo
Car: Rogue 2009 SL AWD

Mcguyver_3 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:04 am
New member,
PLEASE EXCUSE THE LONG WRITE UP
but I do have very exciting news on this front.
I just finished this conversion. Still waiting on an antenna adapter for radio, but that’s not all that important to me.
What you’ll need

1) 19 radio with nav
2) 40 pin female side connnector for the 19 radio. (picked on up at the scrapper out of a 04-07 Murano comfort access module that sits on the passenger side behind the glovebox. Cut it off with a good chunk of wiring to make a conversion harness.)
3) The 20 pin female side connector for the 19 radio. Again, cut it out of a scrapper car with as much wiring as I could. Relatively easy to find as I believe it’s in every Nissan from 07 and up.
4) 20 pin aftermarket radio adapter. Super easy to track down. Again 07 and on is pretty generic.
5) the antenna adapter, they decided that between 17-18, to make the antenna connector slightly more narrow. This doesn’t allow the antenna connector to fit. I have new ones on order that I will modify to make work.
6) 24 pin male side connector. Initially I picked up a piece from digikey, I used loose pins, heatshrinked them and put them in their designated location. Problem when trying to instal the harness, is that the pins tried backing off. So I ordered a Axxess AS-toycam3 Toyota conversion harness for rear view camera retention. Same 24 pin connector as the Nissan. Has a male and female side which I was hoping to utilize the solid wire. Unfortunately, the female pins are different on the aftermarket harness over the OEM 40 pin. But a little bit of splicing and soldering, got the job done.
7) wiring diagrams between both 14-17 and an 18/19. Because I work in the industry, that was not a problem. I am happy to post them if you would like. The only thing that threw me off was that the 14-17 had CAN and M CAN running to the headunit and the 18 has M and V CAN running to it. The M CAN is the important one because of the terminating resistors. After connecting CAN to V CAN illumination and and another function regained normal operation. The 14-17 has a speed sensor wire which is no longer applicable on the newer units. And the 18/19 also has a wire that is not applicable on the older models. But with much tinkering, the system works.
8) USB port for apple car play, currently I am still figuring this out. The phone is plugged in, connects and drops instantly. After 10 attempts... it fails and also does not charge the phone either. The port I have is obviously from an early model. The company called Molex designs our USB ports and there seems to be something extremely fancy about the 18 and up USB ports. What I have found In the wiring diagrams is that the configuration of wiring is setup differently and I’m guessing the port rearranges it in some way to make car play work. The newer ones have a red illumination ring where the early ones don’t. Still in progress. The ports are 260$ CDN which is crazy. I have ordered one off eBay that I managed to scoop up for about 80$ CDN. Awaiting its arrival.
9) 17 and up gauge cluster. The steering controls go from steering wheel, translated by the cluster and sent to the radio. The reason I learned this is because I fitted a 17 steering wheel with heater in mine and the radio steering controls were completely out to lunch. I managed to track down a cluster with higher mileage than mine and drove mine until the mileage was a near match. Then swapped clusters.
9) 17 and up D shaped steering wheel. Why? The steering controls go through the cluster to the radio and as mentioned above, 14-16 do not compute with 17 and up.

So, in conclusion, it does work, lots of modification and tinkering is required, but it is a fully functioning system.
Thank you for this info. I got a 2019 NAV radio to work in my 2017 SL. Just to add for everyone's benefit - I got the 40 pin connector from a Maxima BCM (I think most Nissan BCM are 40pin). I also got the 24pin male and female out of a Murano (behind the in cabin fuse panel lower left of steering column area). You will also need the 8 pin connector for the TCU IN+ and TCU IN- and DCM SHIELD. This 8 pin connector can be cut out from the circuit board of most old Rogue radios (where the telephone bluetooth interface is on the back). I also cut the 20pin connector out from this circuit board and soldered the needed wires to it. Folks - you will need soldering skills. Got all wires/connectors from the junkyard to save$$$. In the end it all works! I use Android Auto.

joeyo
Car: Rogue 2009 SL AWD

joeyo wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:09 pm
Mcguyver_3 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:04 am
New member,
PLEASE EXCUSE THE LONG WRITE UP
but I do have very exciting news on this front.
I just finished this conversion. Still waiting on an antenna adapter for radio, but that’s not all that important to me.
What you’ll need

1) 19 radio with nav
2) 40 pin female side connnector for the 19 radio. (picked on up at the scrapper out of a 04-07 Murano comfort access module that sits on the passenger side behind the glovebox. Cut it off with a good chunk of wiring to make a conversion harness.)
3) The 20 pin female side connector for the 19 radio. Again, cut it out of a scrapper car with as much wiring as I could. Relatively easy to find as I believe it’s in every Nissan from 07 and up.
4) 20 pin aftermarket radio adapter. Super easy to track down. Again 07 and on is pretty generic.
5) the antenna adapter, they decided that between 17-18, to make the antenna connector slightly more narrow. This doesn’t allow the antenna connector to fit. I have new ones on order that I will modify to make work.
6) 24 pin male side connector. Initially I picked up a piece from digikey, I used loose pins, heatshrinked them and put them in their designated location. Problem when trying to instal the harness, is that the pins tried backing off. So I ordered a Axxess AS-toycam3 Toyota conversion harness for rear view camera retention. Same 24 pin connector as the Nissan. Has a male and female side which I was hoping to utilize the solid wire. Unfortunately, the female pins are different on the aftermarket harness over the OEM 40 pin. But a little bit of splicing and soldering, got the job done.
7) wiring diagrams between both 14-17 and an 18/19. Because I work in the industry, that was not a problem. I am happy to post them if you would like. The only thing that threw me off was that the 14-17 had CAN and M CAN running to the headunit and the 18 has M and V CAN running to it. The M CAN is the important one because of the terminating resistors. After connecting CAN to V CAN illumination and and another function regained normal operation. The 14-17 has a speed sensor wire which is no longer applicable on the newer units. And the 18/19 also has a wire that is not applicable on the older models. But with much tinkering, the system works.
8) USB port for apple car play, currently I am still figuring this out. The phone is plugged in, connects and drops instantly. After 10 attempts... it fails and also does not charge the phone either. The port I have is obviously from an early model. The company called Molex designs our USB ports and there seems to be something extremely fancy about the 18 and up USB ports. What I have found In the wiring diagrams is that the configuration of wiring is setup differently and I’m guessing the port rearranges it in some way to make car play work. The newer ones have a red illumination ring where the early ones don’t. Still in progress. The ports are 260$ CDN which is crazy. I have ordered one off eBay that I managed to scoop up for about 80$ CDN. Awaiting its arrival.
9) 17 and up gauge cluster. The steering controls go from steering wheel, translated by the cluster and sent to the radio. The reason I learned this is because I fitted a 17 steering wheel with heater in mine and the radio steering controls were completely out to lunch. I managed to track down a cluster with higher mileage than mine and drove mine until the mileage was a near match. Then swapped clusters.
9) 17 and up D shaped steering wheel. Why? The steering controls go through the cluster to the radio and as mentioned above, 14-16 do not compute with 17 and up.

So, in conclusion, it does work, lots of modification and tinkering is required, but it is a fully functioning system.
Thank you for this info. I got a 2019 NAV radio to work in my 2017 SL. Just to add for everyone's benefit - I got the 40 pin connector from a Maxima BCM (I think most Nissan BCM are 40pin). I also got the 24pin male and female out of a Murano (behind the in cabin fuse panel lower left of steering column area). You will also need the 8 pin connector for the TCU IN+ and TCU IN- and DCM SHIELD. This 8 pin connector can be cut out from the circuit board of most old Rogue radios (where the telephone bluetooth interface is on the back). I also cut the 20pin connector out from this circuit board and soldered the needed wires to it. Folks - you will need soldering skills. Got all wires/connectors from the junkyard to save$$$. In the end it all works! I use Android Auto.
Attachments
2019 connections post.jpg
2017 connections post.jpg
2017 8pin and 20pin connector from old radio.jpg

thinkpad4by3
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue
2018 Chevy Volt

I'm also working on this swap. I found that the reverse line and some other pins don't exist on the 18 navi radio, so I made a slight adjustments.

Anyway: does anyone know a compatible P/N for a 18-20 radio with Navigation AND Bose? Is there even a difference between the two? I also see some radios seem to have a pink ant connector, some have pink and blue. I figure the blue means that its got the 2nd antenna for GPS, and pink is for satellite radio. It seems you can also option a 18 Rogue w/ Navi but no bose?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Bose isn't a separate p/n, it's a configuration setting that can be changed by the dealer. The Bose amps are traditional "dumbware" types that simply amplify the analog channels from the head unit, so in a Bose configuration the H/U simply dials its volume way down.

The following items on an '18 need to be configured:

ENGINE - HEV / Normal
AXLE - FWD / AWD
NAVI - With / Without
SOUND - 4-Speaker / 6-Speaker / Bose
CAMERA - Rear Only / AVM
A/C - Auto / Manual

You're correct that the Blue coaxial is GPS and the Pink is SXM.

thinkpad4by3
2018 Chevy Volt

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:40 am
Bose isn't a separate p/n, it's a configuration setting that can be changed by the dealer. The Bose amps are traditional "dumbware" types that simply amplify the analog channels from the head unit, so in a Bose configuration the H/U simply dials its volume way down.

The following items on an '18 need to be configured:

ENGINE - HEV / Normal
AXLE - FWD / AWD
NAVI - With / Without
SOUND - 4-Speaker / 6-Speaker / Bose
CAMERA - Rear Only / AVM
A/C - Auto / Manual

You're correct that the Blue coaxial is GPS and the Pink is SXM.
Why does the AWD/FWD version matter for the radio? Anyway its going into a '17 SL AWD so I'll try and find one thats just a '18 SL AWD. Is it possible to program an '18 HU "w/o Bose" to be with Bose even tho I'd prefer not to?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You can set the config options to whatever equipment the car has, but it takes scanner software with the proper work support to write it. I don't really know why the drive type matters, maybe it's something different in the graphics. The FSM lists the option.

thinkpad4by3
2018 Chevy Volt

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:23 pm
You can set the config options to whatever equipment the car has, but it takes scanner software with the proper work support to write it. I don't really know why the drive type matters, maybe it's something different in the graphics. The FSM lists the option.
Would you be able to show me what that part of the FSM says?

I figure the hybrid option makes sense...likely some gimmicky graphic showing power flow. Also wonder how much it cares....like what is the radio gunna do in a AWD car instead of a FWD car??

As long as 1) Android Auto 2) Button Illumination 3) Steering wheel controls 4) 360 camera 5) Bose sound work, everything else is optional for me. Don't care about internal nav or Nissan connect or anything.

Return to “Rogue Forum”