Suspension Lifts 101

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Innovazn
Car: Yellow 1998 Nissan R34 Skyline RB25DET 5 MT - Current

White 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SR 6MT - Salvage (T-Boned at left turn)

White 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE - SOLD (blew the engine)

donald wrote:in regards to struts & shocks... what is recommended?

I don't plan on doing any hardcore off-roading like flexing the axles and such. I think the worst environmental stomping my truck will do is some seasonal trips to the snow (mind you, that roads are generally plowed).

The heaviest pulling/towing I plan to do is probably a motorcycle hitch carrier (not a trailer).

I've already got:
MD OME 923 (front coils)
MD OME 922 (rear colis)
KYB GR-2 struts
KYB GR-2 shocks

What I'm worried about are the rear shocks not being sufficient enough to dampen the rear when the motorcycle is back there. The motorcycle weighs around 400lbs, carrier is about 100lbs, so I'm at the 500lb tongue limit.

Will the KYB GR-2 shocks be sufficient for this kind of load?
Gas - A - Just is a popular choice amongst most of the users on this forum. I looked into it and the cost isnt that big so i mean wny not go one up for a few extra bucks? Stock runs gr2 all round i believe...

Iceman2989
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder

I've heard about a few different options for lifting the rear. The one I am curious about is using WJ coil springs in the rear. I've heard that the 4" lift springs compliment the 4" SFD from krypton fab pretty well, so theoretically, if I went with the 2-3" WJ lift springs in the rear, with a pair of OME HD or AC front coils in the front (maybe some strut spacers as well..) it should come out with about 2-3 inches of lift right? Just throwing some ideas out there to get some feedback before I invest. Whats good/could go wrong with this approach?

MilitiaC1R
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Great job Ron!!!
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and form.
I have a 2001 Infiniti QX4 4x4. I have read this entire form and It has helped me greatly!! I'm looking to lift my qx4 and want to go with the AC 2" lift; however, I want to keep my stock wheels (18 inch rims) and tires. The AC lift calls for a negative 3.75" backspacing. I noticed that most people on here have Pathfinders and I saw that "Empty V" has an Infiniti like mine. I read that Empty V did install the AC lift, and i noticed that he also has stock rims as well. What I don't know is if his are 18s or 16s? Infiniti has 2 different package plans. Anywho I was hoping to see if anyone knew if I got the 1.50" Wheel Spacers for the front and back if that would give me enough negative backspacing to commit to the lift. I wont be doing any extreme off roading or flexing. Mostly road travail and an occasional rutty dirt road when i go camping a few times a year.

Any help will be greatly appreciate it!! Thank you! -Kris

Ron Burgundy
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder 3.3 LE

Empty V has the OME lift installed (although last I read, he was looking into switching to AC).... but that's besides the point.

Someone please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here:

Your rim size should not matter provided your tires are small enough ( <30 or maybe even <31 inches in diameter). The spring seat has a rather larger protruding "cup" that could rub up against the top of your tire IF your tire is not pushed out far enough (which is what the greater backspacing and/or spacers accomplish). There is a picture around here somewhere that I'll look for to illustrate that point. In all honesty, you might not even need spacers if your tires are <30 inches. It's only when you look into larger tires (say 31" and up) that you should be concerned about the aforementioned rubbing.

As for the rear, you'll have zero fitment issues, as the rear uses shock absorbers as apposed to strut towers. Provided (as you said) you won't be doing any off-roading, you're welcome to put spacers on the rear wheels to match the stance of your front wheels (if you end up putting spacers up front that is) without worry; just know they're not necessary.

MilitiaC1R
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Ohhh, ok,

I understand what your saying and understand the concept more clearly now.
But as for the OME lift from rocky-road.com, To gain 1.75" I just need the Heavy Duty coils for the front and rear? No need for replacement of shocks and struts? And if I wanted it more level, Could i just add strut spacers for the front to level it out?
Thank you are your knowledge and input! This form is great!!

-Kris

Ron Burgundy
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder 3.3 LE

That all sounds correct, yes.

Finkle
Car: 2004 Pathfinder Platinum LE 4x4

Mine came in the mail today. I ordered the 4x4parts.com complete suspension package. All together with shipping, it was $880. I'm going to get it put on Saturday. I will post the model of the shocks and struts it came with on here this weekend. I haven't even opened the boxes yet.
Last edited by Finkle on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finkle
Car: 2004 Pathfinder Platinum LE 4x4

The Rancho front struts are model numbers RSX17503, and RSX17504. The rear shocks are both RS999112. FYI.

Dustless
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Krypton Fabrication Makes A 4"Inch Uni Body Lift If Thats What You Want To Call It, For All R50 Pathys, found came across this when i was looking for more then a 2 inch for my 02 r50

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Dustless wrote:Krypton Fabrication Makes A 4"Inch Uni Body Lift If Thats What You Want To Call It, For All R50 Pathys, found came across this when i was looking for more then a 2 inch for my 02 r50
That would be a subframe drop.

dogla
Car: 1999 Nissan Terrano Urban

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but at the beginning of this year I also installed AC's 2" lift. My parts were: 2x KYB GR-2 Struts, 2" coils front and rear, strut mounts, Rancho RS5000 rear shocks, AC Delco camber alignment kit I bought at rockauto.com.

Before:

After:

Parts:

I must say it wasn't too difficult to put everything in place, but the only issue (other then the topping off of the front shocks) is excessive vibrations at speeds between 70-85 km/h. And the springs are really stiff. Overall I did get more than 2" lift (more like 3-3.5") but as I read o this forum the springs will "settle" so it might drop to 2" eventually. other than the vibrations it's really smooth (not as smooth as stock but hey the spring ARE stiffer). It feels good sitting "higher" than others for a change :chuckle:
I think the vibrations are being caused by the cv-joints, they now have a greater angle as opposed to stock......

R50QXSteve

I'd like to know what to expect in MPG loss with a 2 inch lift, camber kit, stock wheels, spacers and 31's . My '98 QX4 already sucks gas down as it is , I get around 17 on the highway and 13-14 around town now with worn down tires and alignment that is slightly off. I'm interested in doing a lift but the MPG's is what has me worried.

kansas240
Car: 00 xterra 3.3

If you're worried about mileage, this is probably NOT a good idea. But manual lock out hubs may get some of it back. My Frontier can get almost 28 on a highway trip. QX4 gets 19 with the wind at my back, downhill.

Has anyone used a lengthened rear trailing arm to get the wheel back into center of the well? I imagine a longer driveshaft may be needed but I hate look of the rear wheel too far forward.

IndianScout
Car: 2000 Maxima GLE / Bose
1995 Pathfinder XE

I have a question,

on my stock `95 Pathfinder it has the typical torsion sag, so I plan on buying new rear springs with 1½" lift then crank up the torsion to level it out, will I run into any problems doing this?

Plus it will allow me to run a bigger tire with the lift.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

IndianScout wrote:I have a question,

on my stock `95 Pathfinder it has the typical torsion sag, so I plan on buying new rear springs with 1½" lift then crank up the torsion to level it out, will I run into any problems doing this?

Plus it will allow me to run a bigger tire with the lift.
This thread on NPORA might help.

QX4EVER
Car: QX4

Ron Burgundy wrote:I believe 15" rims will be fine, but wait for a Q owner to chime in shortly and confirm.

Yes, you can run stock wheels while running 1.5" spacers. You may experience some rubbing at full lock, but nothing crazy.

I'm running a 15 inch American racing mojave wheel with 3.75 BS on my 98 QX4, it comes close to the caliper but no rubbing and they look much better than 16s

That_Bro_Kid
Car: Infiniti QX4 1999

Im interested in doing some extreme offroading how and what do i need to do to make this possible?? Like a couple of my buddies have jeeps and they go offroading almost every weekend and i always have to ride with them. But i want to drive there and participate as well. what do i need to do do get a 4 to 5 inch lift?

tlrsgto
Car: 1997 nissan pathfinder se
*fully loaded R50
Bose package
31" khumo m/t

Will someone please help me. I cant find any 2"coil spacers anywhere for a 1997 nissan pathfinder se. Plz post teply asap.

anstantanople
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Great thread ron. Very helpful, I'm a jeep guy but I came across my 2001 pathfinder 3.5le and I couldn't resist. It was in such great condition with barely 100k. I've taken it wheeling already bone stock, and it did an amazing job. I only want a suspension lift so I might get the AC kit. I'm not a fan of body lifts.

Just a couple questions, most were answered so thanks for that.

1)Seems like you don't need to regear or get a SYE witha 2" lift and 31s, correct?

2) Im unable to offroad a lot (once a season if lucky) so my pathy will be a mallcrawler for the most part. I use it to haul my bands equipment, amps/drums no trailer (yet). It currently sags with stock suspension. Can the ac lift bare this weight comfortably?

3) do I NEED a locking hub for the front? Seems like the shift on the fly system may damage the cv with the lift. Mind you, I barely use the 4wd, even in the snow as a DD.

That's it for now, any additional advice would be great.

And shout out to 01silvapathy, I've seen your youtube vids before finding this forum. Thanks!

jyeager
Car: 1997 Pathfinder

How about lifting without springs/struts/shocks? Why not use spacers to achieve a 4" lift?
Then the stock spring rate and damping and shock/strut travel are the same as stock so no topping out.
I know there aren't any 4" spacers out there, but they could be fabricated fairly cheaply.

kansas240
Car: 00 xterra 3.3

You mean a subframe drop? keeps the suspension "factory" up front.
KRfabs.

tooslowforgr
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

Can someone please tell me if i can fit 33's on the OME lift? 1.75" ?!!

jyeager
Car: 1997 Pathfinder

kansas240 wrote:You mean a subframe drop? keeps the suspension "factory" up front.
KRfabs.
Actually, I meant without SFD, but lift with a big-a** spacer. Yes, I'm an R50 novice, but I have digested all the info I've found here...so I know that we have the following concerns:
1. Camber
2. CV joint angles (boots, what's max angle?, how far before the axles aren't long enough?)
3. Lower ball joint angle too much?
4. need to extend brake hose?
5. steering links still ok?

I absolutely understand why a SFD solves all of these problems (except camber?), but it does take a little bit of work and $ and doesn't improve the ground clearance of the subframe and suspension parts...Yes, I know that the larger tires do that.

I just see that it's a foregone conclusion that you only lift about 2" with struts and no more. I only see the CV boot issue as being the concern with greater lift and the manual hubs would mitigate that.
I don't know if people have found out whether something like a 3 or 4" strut spacer is absolutely out of the question for any rock solid reasons such as axle length or something.

ErangaYasas
Car: 2003 Pathfinder R50

HI All.

This forum has lot of valuable details regarding Pathfinders. i am looking at a after market coil springs for my 2003 pathfinder. I went to the ABR dealer and they say the springs they have would only provide lift of 15mm in front and 20mm in rear.. The same was confirmed by ARB Australia also. i thought OMEos with a 1.75" lift would like to know your thoughts on this. ( i all ready have fairly new KYB struts so only looking for the springs)

Parts #2923 front
2922 rear

I was not able find a dealer in UAE for AC lifts, however wrote to iornman 4x4 and they also have springs with 2" lift have any one tried them. Please let me know.

Pls let me know if the above OME will or will not provide a lift as i expect. and also ironman if they are fine as i can get them much faster than the OMEs.

thanks in advance.

fleurys
Car: 2001 Pathfinder , Locked and loaded !

Another way of lifting your pathfinder is to install suspension spacers. I make them to various height so you can, at a lower cost, lift your truck to the desired height.

See my products here : http://4x4design.com/Pathfinder_R50_96-04.php and the lift differences with different spacers : http://4x4design.com/r50-lift-kit.php

xswamperx
Car: 1998 Pathfinder R-50 SE

Hey Fleury's 1"spacer is great, both sit perfect on the each strut. Have any of you had any problems with the drive axle/cv joint thunking when engaged in drive. Passenger side is way positive camber even after trying to correct with a camber kit. The thunking is really bad. Don't want to drive Pathi because I don't want to damage the joint. Driver sides good though, so i guess im 75% done with the lift lol. (Trying to think positive). Another thing I noticed (passenger front) is the notch on the top of the strut spring seat isn't facing towards the motor, more so half way between the front of the Pathi and the motor. like its off by 45degrees. Had Goodyear compress my springs and struts, cost 50 bux, but well worth it. Unless they misaligned the spring seat notch and its screwing things up. Any helps great from anyone who's encountered this.

xswamperx
Car: 1998 Pathfinder R-50 SE

PJSnow
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

fleurys wrote:Another way of lifting your pathfinder is to install suspension spacers. I make them to various height so you can, at a lower cost, lift your truck to the desired height.

See my products here : http://4x4design.com/Pathfinder_R50_96-04.php and the lift differences with different spacers : http://4x4design.com/r50-lift-kit.php

if i get these spacers do i still need to get the camber kit?

fleurys

Yes you do... because the pathfinder does not offer any adjustement on the camber... So when you lift your truck, you do have to adjust the camber to bring the wheels to a good setting. A full wheel alignment is always necessary when lifting a vehicle.

Cheers.
S.

fleurys

xswamperx wrote:Hey Fleury's 1"spacer is great, both sit perfect on the each strut. Have any of you had any problems with the drive axle/cv joint thunking when engaged in drive. Passenger side is way positive camber even after trying to correct with a camber kit. The thunking is really bad. Don't want to drive Pathi because I don't want to damage the joint. Driver sides good though, so i guess im 75% done with the lift lol. (Trying to think positive). Another thing I noticed (passenger front) is the notch on the top of the strut spring seat isn't facing towards the motor, more so half way between the front of the Pathi and the motor. like its off by 45degrees. Had Goodyear compress my springs and struts, cost 50 bux, but well worth it. Unless they misaligned the spring seat notch and its screwing things up. Any helps great from anyone who's encountered this.

Thanks for the good words..

For your strut plate alignement, yes the notch is supposed to be aligned with the letter R or L depending on the side. If it is not, then you will have the problems youère having trying to get the camber right... this has to be redone for you to get rid of your problem..

Cheers.
S.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”