Supertech Piston Issue

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I've got supertech pistons and really haven't had any problems that I know of. What rods are you running?

FullyBuiltKA
Car: S13 Coupe KA-T

Eagle rods. I'm not completely bashing supertech. If you read my first post on this thread I mentioned that I've heard a lot of people that run them and like them and I've heard some that have had problems and one person had the same problem as I did. I also said that it's not uncommon for defects to be distributed to the public it's just not very often. I just want them to take blame for the one that did go through. There allaby is detonation. There are absolutely no signs of detonation. They even offered me a set of pistons?!?!? A little fishy for me, but like I said, I could be the one that's being bias but I say that in the most sarcastic/modest way possible. If that's even possible.

rebornS14
Car: 1991 Hatchback Super Hicas, 1995 SE, 1997 Base

i guess i should add,

i had supertech pistons in my SR and they straight cracked through. This was on a very moderate tune with methanol injection. long story short, the piston was sent to supertech for inspection and they took a while but they sent a new set which looked revised and better than the previous set i was running. i didn't use the new set and got a set of MAHLE pistons. I still have thier whole valvetrain and that's been great. im not saying i dont want to use supertech again or refer them but i did have to sleeve my block for that reason so i went back to a 86.5 bore instead of the 87 i had with the supertech's. im happy with thier customer service so just to clarify im not saying supertech is bad, im sure every company has had some defects. no one is flawless. but they took care of me so im happy with that.

i should have taken some pictures but i didnt get the chance.

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

who wants to hook me up with some old h beam rods for some fabrication lol.

FullyBuiltKA

They'll give me a new set of pistons for free. The cost of the damage to the head and block is what they want to try to avoid by saying it wasn't their product's fault.

sunnys14
Car: S14

I've ran Supertech pistons in my built motor for years on my twin-scroll 30R and 35R set up at 25psi with no problems.

FullyBuiltKA

I understand that people run them all day. But what other explanation would there be for snapped wrist pins besides manufacture defect?

raven2345
Car: 91 chuki

I just found this page on a google search... I just wanted to clear something up here from what I've read: The wrist pin in the Supertech pistons are offset to the left, looking from the front of the motor, by about 2mm. There apparently is no dead give away on which direction to put them in; the way the name is stamped (or whatever it is) on the piston, does NOT guarantee proper direction. So if you're using Supertech pistons, just make sure you get out some form of measuring tool, and make sure that the wrist pin is offset to the left/closer to the left side of the piston, when looking from the front/pulley side of the motor.

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

Sorry for digging this up but.....

Im assuming that last post answeres question of why you hear both ways on supertech pistons. I might add I believe supertechs are made by mahle.......

Trying to find info. as to if I should put them in my rb20det. Information everywhere is a dead even spread like em or they break???? (miata/evo/hondas primary reviews ive read)

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Like I said in the other thread, why risk it? Use a product that doesn't have known issues. The stock pistons in the RB20 are stout little slugs.

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

ive built motors with supertech pistons for ages..there good to 40 psi boost..guarenteed!..ive never had any issues with them like other brands..they are the harder style of forged pistons so you can have tighter piston to wall clearences and less piston slap at start up..hope this helps

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

liquid_cool wrote:ive built motors with supertech pistons for ages..there good to 40 psi boost..guarenteed!..ive never had any issues with them like other brands..they are the harder style of forged pistons so you can have tighter piston to wall clearences and less piston slap at start up..hope this helps
Nothing is guaranteed to any amount of boost. That's just silly.

One user with no problems doesn't over rule other documented issues. When there are options that don't have known failures documented, I'll go with those.

Just my .02

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”