Super newb in the Skyline scene Fromm seattle!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Handi_Mike

Hello all, the names Mike!

im taking the plunge and having a fresh, 46xxx mile '92 gts25 sedan brought over seas for me.

Theres a few things id like to have clarified as I've done a fair bit of searching and either find vague answers, deleted posts, or opposing answers.

First off, the rb25 and re5r that is coming in my car, same engine trans as the r33 or an earlier rendition of the two?

is it possible to do a simple r33 lsd swap into the 32 assuming the trans is the same?

I've also come across a couple threads of some seriously modified auto's to handle massive power. Will a stock trans with an upgraded converter hold on to 300 or so whp?

What does everyone do about tuning when having an auto? I assume in these the ecu/TCU are one unit? Guessing that kills the possibility of using a haltech or some standalone?

last Q! Yes or no, the gtr front bumper fits right up? I've seen both yes and no answers. Some say you need the fenders others say it fits right on the gts.

ca18det_boy

Handi_Mike wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 am
First off, the rb25 and re5r that is coming in my car, same engine trans as the r33 or an earlier rendition of the two?
I believe it will be an S1, you can tell by looking at the CAS.
Handi_Mike wrote:
is it possible to do a simple r33 lsd swap into the 32 assuming the trans is the same?
LSD doesn't have anything to do with the trans
Handi_Mike wrote:
I've also come across a couple threads of some seriously modified auto's to handle massive power. Will a stock trans with an upgraded converter hold on to 300 or so whp?
In my experience no, but I've only messed around with 1 auto RB
Handi_Mike wrote:
What does everyone do about tuning when having an auto? I assume in these the ecu/TCU are one unit? Guessing that kills the possibility of using a haltech or some standalone?
TCU is separate. Stand alone can still be used with an auto trans.
Handi_Mike wrote:
last Q! Yes or no, the gtr front bumper fits right up? I've seen both yes and no answers. Some say you need the fenders others say it fits right on the gts.
From what I know, yes it is a bolt on affair.

Hitokiri_Gensai
Car: 92 Nissan Skyline GTS-t

Im pretty sure the GTR bumper doesnt quite fit. Its close but you do need fiddle with it a bit.

GreyZ33Track
Car: 2004 350z Track
2003 G35 Coupe
2006 Titan 4x4 King Cab

Congrats!! I imported a 91 GTS4 with Auto Trans last year...I've upgraded quite a few things and am running into some some trans issues and other likely unrelated problems.

Standalones will NOT work with the auto trans. There are outputs the TCU needs from the standard ECU that standalones are incapable of relaying to the TCU. Get yourself hooked up with Nistune, works like a charm. Enthalpy room tune will also work if that ECU is compatable.
I am making 296 who and the trans hates every minute of it...had trouble Dyno tuning as it was dropping into neutral out of 4th at peak boost. Had to dial it down for the trans.

If you are interested, I have a GTR rep front bumper I am looking to sell...changed my mind and am sticking with GTS bumper that I modified to fit a FMIC.

GreyZ33Track
Car: 2004 350z Track
2003 G35 Coupe
2006 Titan 4x4 King Cab

Oh...I am nearby in Puyallup.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”