Super AIDS

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
The Mic
Car: 3Z Wmb

No joke.

http://www.surgicalblunders.co...e.avi

w1ngzer0
Car: Pfft. i don't own a box

can you explane the video since i am on dial up

The Mic

No.

w1ngzer0
Car: Pfft. i don't own a box

The Mic wrote:No.

scs13
Car: 93 s13 coupe

i think they shoulda named it extra not good aids, super just sounds too nice

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

a 40 year old gay man contracted super aids, "full blown aids" as mic enjoyed hearing the anchor say came after just a few months instead of the normal 10 years or so

The Mic

I also liked looking at the anchor

Badfish
Car: 93 240sx w/ black top sr20

Welcome to a year ago. Doesn't make it any less chilling, though.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/HE...aids/
CNN Article wrote:Drug-resistant HIV strain alarms officialsNew York man developed full-blown AIDS within months

Saturday, February 12, 2005 Posted: 0417 GMT (1217 HKT)

(CNN) -- Health officials in New York City are alarmed after a man infected with a highly drug-resistant strain of HIV progressed to full-blown AIDS within months of diagnosis.

That raises the possibility that a hard-to-treat variant of the virus could be spreading among gay and bisexual men who use the drug methamphetamine.

"This case is a striking reminder that the risk of getting infected with HIV has not gone away," said Dr. Jay Dobkin, director of the AIDS program at Columbia University.

"In fact, risky behavior may be even more dangerous now since there is a change of infection with a virus we may not be able to treat," Dobkin said in a press release from the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

The department has issued an alert to doctors and hospitals to check other newly diagnosed HIV cases to see if they are also infected with the drug-resistant variant.

Health officials also are monitoring laboratories for additional cases.

"This case is a wake-up call," Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden said in the release.

The man, in his mid-40s, had not previously been treated for HIV. He was diagnosed last December and his infection appeared to be recent, health officials said.

He reported having multiple male sex partners and unsafe anal sex, often while using a crystallized form of methamphetamine, known as "crystal meth."

The man's HIV strain proved to be resistant to three of the four available types of antiviral drugs used to keep HIV in check.

While patients being treated for HIV do develop drug resistance, finding such resistance in someone who has never taken HIV drugs is "extremely rare," according to the city health department.

Even more alarming to health officials was the fact that the patient has already progressed to full-blown AIDS -- something that typically takes more than 10 years after initial HIV infection.

"In this patient's case, onset of AIDS appears to have occurred within two to three months, and at most 20 months, after HIV infection," the health department's statement said.

Noted AIDS researcher Dr. David Ho, director of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center in New York, said the case "is alarming."

"While this remains a single case, it is prudent to closely watch for any additional possible cases while continuing to emphasize the importance of reducing HIV risk behavior," Ho said in the health department's press release.

Public officials have long expressed concern that gay and bisexual men were abandoning safer sex practices, particularly the use of condoms during anal sex, that successfully reduced the spread of AIDS in the 1980s and 1990s, before antiviral treatments were available.

Contributing to their concern is the increased popularity of crystal meth, which can impair judgment and heighten sexual sensation.

"The rapidly growing crystal meth epidemic in New York continues to play a significant role in facilitating the transmission of HIV," said Dr. Antonio Urbina, director of HIV education at St. Vincent's Catholic Medical Center in New York.

"Health care providers must be especially vigilant in not only recognizing and diagnosing HIV infection, but also in recognizing the signs and symptoms of crystal methamphetamine use in their patients," he said in the health department's release.

The Mic

scs13 wrote:i think they shoulda named it extra not good aids, super just sounds too nice
Extra and good are also nice words. So I nominate the name PMQ in it's place. I'm sure the World Health Organization will thank me for my efforts in the fight against Super Aids prevalence with this very repulsive name; because I'm pretty sure no one wants PMQ in them.

Kenrik
Car: 240Sx Coupe, G35 Coupe, Versa Hatch

The Mic wrote:
Extra and good are also nice words. So I nominate the name PMQ in it's place. I'm sure the World Health Organization will thank me for my efforts in the fight against Super Aids prevalence with this very repulsive name; because I'm pretty sure no one wants PMQ in them.
Yes no one want's PMQ in them... even his beastly girlfriend..

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

it's ok kids...just don't catch AIDS.

40 year old gay men will do that...

gabossie
Car: Your mom

Looks like it's time to be a little more carefull about the men you sleep with Kenrik

nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

"You have AIDS.Yes, you have AIDS.I hate to tell you, boy, you have AIDS.You got the AIDS.You may have caught it when you stuck that filthy needle in here.Or maybe all that unprotected sex which we hear.It isn't clear, but what we're certain of is that you have AIDS.Yes, you have AIDS.Not HIV, but full-blown AIDS.Be sure that you see that this is not HIV, but full blown AIDS.Not HIV, but full-blown AIDS.I'm sorry, I wish it was something less serious, but it's AIDS.You've got the AIDS."

The Mic

but not just aids, SUPER AIDS.

JimmyMethod
Car: 97' 240SX SE

Retroviruses are some scary stuff. Wait til there's an airborn one...

CybeRise
Car: S14 Silvia

New aids?? cool less people in those lines at disneyland!!!!

Most of us will be ok unless you have:

(a)Unprotected sex with a prostitute(b) Unprotected Gay sex(c) Share needles with other druggie losers(d) like Ryan Seacrest

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

I raise you super herpes

+1 for renamin super AIDS to PMQ.

You have PMQ!!

Slipstream
Car: '94 Sonoma, '90 300zx n/a

What I don't understand, is that when people had diseases such as lepracy and TB, they were put in "quarantine" by using leper colonies and sanitariums for TB. Why can't we put all HIV infected people in one place to prevent further conraction and where they can study them better? Are we to politically correct in this day and age that it would be against their human rights? I think that would be the best way to contain it.

JimmyMethod

CybeRise wrote:New aids?? cool less people in those lines at disneyland!!!!

Most of us will be ok unless you have:

(a)Unprotected sex with a prostitute(b) Unprotected Gay sex(c) Share needles with other druggie losers(d) like Ryan Seacrest
Uh... see, that's where you're wrong.However, the transmittion rates for HIV are really low compared to what I thought they were:
Wikipedia wrote:Unprotected receptive sexual acts are at more risk than unprotected insertive sexual acts, with the risk for transmitting HIV from an infected partner to an uninfected partner through unprotected insertive anal intercourse (UIAI) greater than the risk for transmission through vaginal intercourse or oral sex. According to the French ministry for health, the probability of transmission per act varies from 0.03% (meaning 3 in ten thousand) to 0.07% for the case of receptive vaginal sex, from 0.02 to 0.05% in the case of insertive vaginal sex, from 0.01% to 0.185% in the case of insertive anal sex, and 0.5% to 3% in the case of receptive anal sex
That's no where near what I thought it would be.

nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

Uh, Jimmy, maybe you missed school the day they talked about this, but Wikipedia isn't a reputable site. ANYONE can add or edit posts. There was just a story on FoxNews about some dude that created a post that ended up with him losing his job. (Pracitical joke)

JimmyMethod

Yes, I know, but there have been many studies, and the percentage of incorrect information on Wikipedia is about equal to the percentage of incorrect information in Britannica. http://news.com.com/Study+Wiki....htmlAnd my friends and I have done experiments before. We've changed a fact, something minimal, like a couple numbers in an article, and within 20 minutes, it was corrected by someone.

And besides, the data is from a 2005 CDC study.

The Mic

Actually those are the correct figures, the WHO is cited as a source. Jimmy you interpreted the information wrong, if you look at the groups Cyberise mentioned they allude to the figures you've provided.

and yes the AIDS pandemic is widely exagerrated, I suspect it's a ploy on Christianity's behalf to scare people from having sex.

JimmyMethod

The Mic wrote:Actually those are the correct figures, the WHO is cited as a source. Jimmy you interpreted the information wrong, if you look at the groups Cyberise mentioned, they allude to the figures you've provided.

and yes the AIDS pandemic is widely exagerrated, I suspect it's a ploy on Christianity's behalf to scare people from having sex.
Well, as someone with a bleeding disorder, the chances of me needing a blood transfusion are much higher, and then, the transmission rate is 90%.They test for HIV in donated blood, but tests can show false negatives or can be administer incorrectly.

The Mic

CyberRise was talking in a general context regarding activities, not just to you jimmy.

Jesda

I LOVE THE AIDS!

mattscar
Car: 1989 240sx, 1992 Miata

Return to “General Chat”