Subaru R160 LSD into 510 info.

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

Installing Subaru Limited-Slip Differentials

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------When I heard that Subaru's had LSD diffs that fit into 510's, I thought "COOL!". So I did some research, talked to some people (including Subaru and Subaru mechanics). Here is what I found, thought it may not all be correct, depending on the reliability of my sources. Subaru used both open and LSD R160 diffs in their cars beginning in ~1986. Almost all of the diffs (both LSD and Non-LSD) have a gold foil sticker on the outside of the case cover stating both the ratio (i.e. 3.70, 3.90, 4,11) and whether it is LSD (it says "LSD" on the foil). The above ratios are the ones I've seen on Subarus in yards around the country. Sometimes the gold foil gets really grimy, and you can pull off a clear covering from it (like a helmet visor tear-off) to get a better view. The gold foil makes it really nice to see ratios from under the car without counting teeth or revolutions. The hard part about Subarus is that you could order them almost any way you wanted. Less that 10% of the cars came with LSD diffs, judging by what I've seen in yards. Perhaps those of you in mountainous/snowy climes might see more LSD diffs that those of us in flat/hot areas. This means that there is no "one" Subaru that for sure has an LSD of a given ratio. Most likely candidates are 4WD Turbo cars, often with the 4AT (4 spd Auto) tranny. High buck XTs also seem to have them, and possibly even Brats. Anyway, most of the LSDs you'll find will be 3.7s. I've heard of 3.9s and 4.11s, but never actually found one myself, nor seen one. Subaru USA said that '91 Legacy AWD Turbo 4 dr sedans were available with a viscous 3.9 LSD. Never seen one. Most Legacys have 4.11s that are non-LSD. Used Subaru LSDs go for between $100-$300 at the yards, when they have them. Most yard folks don't know much about them. Many people I know have been sold LSDs that weren't. Check the sticker! Check the rotation (both half shafts rotate the same way if it is LSD, one rotates backwards and one forwards if it isn't)!!!

I have also heard that the 3.7 Subaru units will fit in SOME 510 cases, and that SOME 510 ring and pinions will fit in SOMES Subaru cases. I have not seen this done myself, so this is only hearsay. Perhaps some of you out there know more? I do know that you should definitely use the NISMO LSD short bolt set whenever you do this, or your innards will chew themselves to pieces (or so I've been told).

SO why do these things fit? Well, Nissan owns part of Subaru, which is actually a division of Fuji Heavy Industries, which uses (like Nissan) Hitachi R-160 diffs for some of their cars. How do they fit? The Subaru diffs (both LSD and non-LSD) bolt in just like the stock R-160 units we know and love except for the half-shaft connections. Get a friend with a deep Torx socket and an impact wrench (or a deep 6mm or 8mm socket can also be made to work--I forget which is right) to remove the stubs from the Subaru diff. Then remove the Nissan stubs from the stock diff, and bolt them on in place of the Subaru ones. Everything else just bolts right up. Cool. Just make sure your bolts are tight!

In summary, the 3.7 LSDs are around and available, though hard to find. Rumors of other Subaru LSD ratios may be just rumors. Almost any AWD Turbo Subaru can have an LSD (look at Brats, Legacys, RXs, XTs, Loyales, GL-10s, etc.), but it seems that the more loaded the car, the more likely you'll find one.

Hope this helps. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, or add/elaborate where I've left something out. Don't call Subaru and ask them about this stuff. I've done that many, many times, and more often than not, they have given me inaccurate info. Of course, you could just buy a complete Subaru LSD from them (for $800), or from NISMO (also $800). Junkyards are more fun, and they are much happier on my wallet.

Kurt ([email protected])

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

good wirte up there!quick note tho, the Non LSD diffs have Silver stickers, and the LSD stickers are Gold

continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

it was a good write up, wish I could take credit for writing it.thanks for adding the info about identifying them by sticker color.

just thought I'd post up some potentially useful info to try and help this forum get moving.

datsunboy

sweet.I think it just needs more people.I go to a couple of other Datsun Forums that are much more alive!....mainly because of the numbers.

I only really found this forum because I use the CA18 forum on here also

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

woot! oh wait, I have an r200...Good info though, If I had a rusty datsun I definatly be happy to hear this.

So the Lsex getting some LSD?

datsunboy

you can also fit R200's into 1600's.if you get one from a Z car, then they will almost bolt in.....just need to modify the mostache bar. and shorten one axle.

I have just finished putting a R200 in my 1600. its a longnose case ( from a C32 ), with the VLSD centre from a R32 skyline shortnose R200 fitted inside.

I needed to make custom CV axles ( just shortened std A31 axles ) for this setup though.
Modified by datsunboy at 1:00 AM 8/3/2006

mikeshoup

This will probably be my only post in this forum. I came across this in a google search to help a friend pop a R160 LSD into his 510. I'm a subaru geek, so I know all about the Subarus.

Here's the deal with the LSDs.The clutchpack type LSD was an option on nearly every 85-89 Subaru.If you're looking for a 3.7 LSD, you can find them on Turbo 4WD Subarus. The majority are on the FT4WD Turbos. (They usually have decals on the side or back that say Full Time 4WD... predecessor to AWD) If you see a 87-89 Subaru RX manual, you're guaranteed the rearend is LSD. These were standard.

If you're looking for a 3.9 LSD, these are the holy grail. I've only ever heard of one clutchpack LSD, but they do exist. They were listed as an option on the Subaru XT6 with FT4WD Manual.The viscous type 3.9 LSDs are found on 90-94 AWD Turbo Legacies w/ Manual. These are super rare too.

95-99, no LSDs made their way to the US. Newer ones are all viscous, and can be found on 2.5RS, WRXs, and others.

You need to look for this sticker:
Modified by mikeshoup at 2:24 PM 8/12/2006

continental_drift

thanks mike, feel free to pop in any time.

welcome to nico.

safin

what kind of diff is found in a 95 impreza 2.2 auto? i went to the dealer and they couldnt tell me if it was open or lsd. all they said was 4.11 and fulltime AWD

i am going this weekend to actually test it, rotate the wheels and stuff i was not able to do it today because the car is crashed really bad and the drive shaft is bent, so it would not allow for any movement. i also looked for the sticker, no sticker

here is the vin number, maybe someone could save me the ride to the junkyard........

JF1GC6352SH516502

thanks!!

well i gues i would just pick up the one from a Zcar i saw

oh, and what about 280zx turbo?

sssrdub
Car: b-ball,cars, girls

datsunboy wrote:you can also fit R200's into 1600's.if you get one from a Z car, then they will almost bolt in.....just need to modify the mostache bar. and shorten one axle.

I have just finished putting a R200 in my 1600. its a longnose case ( from a C32 ), with the VLSD centre from a R32 skyline shortnose R200 fitted inside.

I needed to make custom CV axles ( just shortened std A31 axles ) for this setup though.

Modified by datsunboy at 1:00 AM 8/3/2006
Excuse my ignorance but what is a A31? I have a long nose R200 vlsd id like to use but I need the axles

mswit209
Car: 89 d21- for now

i used a 2002 wrx rear diff the guy broke his pinion gear so i came up on it for free. i then put my datsuns ring and pinion gear into the case. works perfect. the parts are interchangeable even up to 2002. when i went to order a pinion seal for a subaru wrx i couldn't find one anywhere but the dealer so i looked up my 510 and bought it. fits like it was ment to go it (oh wait it was haha)

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”