Stripped seat gear

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
MaxBolus
Car: 2004 M45

Hi-

sorry to beat this horse, but I finally got my seat slider fixed, and wanted to save others some trouble and money. (Original thread in post6176533.html).

Short story is that stripped seat slider gears seem to be a common problem with Nissans. If you try to get a replacement from the dealer, you need to buy the entire lower seat frame assembly for around 700 bucks (I checked with InfinitipPartsUSA and found similar messages on The Google)

Finally found salvation at http://www.odometergears.com- they make several types of these gears. I bought a replacement for my stripped gear for 65 dollars, installed it this weekend and all is good to go. The guys are great to deal with, too, if you have questions/concerns.

Now I can pull the seat out and try to get the welding done to fix the rocking chair.

cheers

SiMpLyMoDiFiEd
Car: 2006 M45s, GSXR 1000

Great Find I just had mine replaced among other things at the dealer under warranty total parts was $4000 i paid $0 thankfully

Double E
Car: '04 M45 Dark Blue., NAV

I don't have this issue....yet. Is there a preventative maintenance procedure you'd recommend for the gear stripping?

MaxBolus

Not sure there is much you can do (other than never adjusting your seat again :biggrin: ) I thought it was due to the broken seat frame, but did not find a real correlation in my searches. I do recall mentions of a too-soft plastic used for the gear, or that the lubricant somehow degrades the plastic..but can't recall exactly where I read that, sorry.

but you can find references to this problem with owners of FX's, 350Z's, Maximas, etc..

Another problem mentioned on the Odometergears site is that the seat location memory function uses a magnetic collar to (presumably) count rotations of the seat gear to remember the seat location. (Some may use a hall sensor, but mine looked like a small reed switch.)
Anyway, this collar appears to be a sintered magnet that can easily break apart, causing the seat memory to fail, and possibly contribute to a chewed-up seat gear. The fix for this is to try to glue the collar back together, some have reported success with this. Luckily mine was intact.

Double E
Car: '04 M45 Dark Blue., NAV

Thanks!! Is the gear in question acessible only by removing the seat and flippin it upside down or can it be acessed still in the car?

If by removal only, Is there any additional disassembly required?

MaxBolus

You can get to them pretty easily from the front of the seat on the floor, no seat removal required. There's a plastic panel in front of the seat cushion that you can remove to see things better.

The Odometergears site has a good instruction guide:
http://www.odometergears.com/documentat ... cement.pdf

asavage
Car: 2006 M35 Sport RWD

Thanks for this pointer in the right direction.

From Odometer Gears in Virginia:
Odometer Gears wrote:Each seat has two gears and each can be a different style.

Image Image Image
As of today (13Oct2012), each gear is $65.
For an idea of their shipping cost, for me, their shipping calculator quotes
USPS Priority = $6
FedEx 2-day = $49

There are a couple more expensive shipping options as well, but nothing in-between $6 & $49, which seems a bit odd.
MaxBolus wrote:I do recall mentions of a too-soft plastic used for the gear, or that the lubricant somehow degrades the plastic..but can't recall exactly where I read that, sorry.
From Odometer Gear's FAQ #8:
Odometer Gears FAQ #8 wrote:#7- Why did my original gears fail?
The original material used to manufacture your odometer gears was urethane and lubricated with petroleum grease. The grease overtime turns the gear into a waxy material and fails. Even the original replacement gears were packaged with grease and changing the new gear to a waxy substance while sitting on a shelf waiting to be installed.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”