Still can't use more than 4GB ram

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

It was talked about a while ago in another thread about how much ram a person needs and I couldn't believe people were talking about getting 32GB! I have 8GB in mine and when normally operating my computer I now use anywhere from 600MB-1GB due to recent upgrades. So tonight I tried to do as much stuff as I could to see how much ram I could use.
-Ripping a BR to .mkv
-Handbraking an .mkv down to a much smaller .mkv.
-Playing a ripped BR (.mkv) with VLC
-Surfing internet.
-3.89GB ram used in picture.

Win7
i5-2500k, just OC'ed it to 3.8GHz for faster encoding.
8GB of some 2133 ram, I forget what kind/brand.
128GB SSD, along with a few TB worth of disk drives.
No outboard video card.

What is it you guys are doing that requires so much ram?

TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

I use a base of around 5 gigs of Ram
But thats because I use chrome... And ALWAYS have a f*ck load of tabs open.
If you wanna eat up ram use Chrome. It DEVOURS available ram.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Looneybomber wrote:What is it you guys are doing that requires so much ram?
Try editing a 15 hour video in full HD mode in a program like Magix Video Edit Plus or Adobe Premiere ... of course, use the 64-bit version of the program. :yesnod

Z

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

My desktop is used 90% of the time as an HTPC. I rip movies and play 'em. Sometimes I Handbrake them if they're crappy and likely not ever gonna watch again. I rarely game on it, and normally only surf the net while waiting for the BR to rip. Heh, I normally have it underclocked to save on power consumption to produce less heat and enable me to run my fans slower or even off.

I just couldn't come up with anything that ate up ram like crazy, so I did my best without opening 20 different internet pages.

RCA

It's going to depend on what you''re using your machine for.

If you "need" 32GBs of ram, you're probably using a ton of VMs or you're editing video.

99.8% of other people, 8GBs is more than enough.

90% of people could get away with 6GBs of ram.

70% of people really only need like ~4GBs.

If a perfect world they sell 3GB dimms because all people need is like 6GBs but because they sell them in even numbers 8GBs is a bit much and 4GBs is good for most but some will need more. OSs have come a long way in terms of resource management.

What we need now non volatile versions of RAM disks.

RobJordan
Car: 2011 versa 1.8 Hb 6spd

I am a bit late into this discussion. I am a game player. World of warcraft and some photo editing. On the low end 8 covers me so im not waiting on long processes. However i run 16 gb typically and 32 when running editing programs for friends. It cuts down on amount of time along with other upgrades to video cards and processors.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”