Steering Wheel Replacement (EX35 2008)

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
lemba

Hi All,
Happy New Year!

Infiniti replaced a steering wheel for my EX35 2008. The new wheel looks quite different then my original one. It comes with cheap leather and moreover with different color. The original one was black. Replaced one is gray. I asked the service advisor "why you installed me different steering wheel?" He replied with "sorry part number is same. If you are not satisfied please contact infiniti consumer affair ".

Can anyone suggest how to resolve such issues? Infiniti Consumer Affair wasn’t helpful at all.

Thanks in advance!
Vladimir

flashzoom

lemba wrote:Hi All,
Happy New Year!

Infiniti replaced a steering wheel for my EX35 2008. The new wheel looks quite different then my original one. It comes with cheap leather and moreover with different color. The original one was black. Replaced one is gray. I asked the service advisor "why you installed me different steering wheel?" He replied with "sorry part number is same. If you are not satisfied please contact infiniti consumer affair ".

Can anyone suggest how to resolve such issues? Infiniti Consumer Affair wasn’t helpful at all.

Thanks in advance!
Vladimir
I have heard about it.
I got my 2010 EX35 back in Jan 2010.
I notice within 2 weeks, the black part of the steering wheel is very easily scratched.
at the time I have contacted my local dealer, and they have told me they will replace it within the warranty period. and they will replace as many times as needed. (within the 4 years) but recently I visited the same dealer for service, and they have told me they can only replace the steering wheel only once in the whole warranty coverage.
the reason being that they have "improved" the steering wheel, so it won't be easily scratched. not sure if that's ture or not.
do you have a photo of the steering wheel?
:(

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Why are the original Steering Wheels being swapped out in the first place?

zarar
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Flashzoom, I never thought they would replace it just because of the paint peeling near the buttons, is it dealer specific?

flashzoom

zarar wrote:Flashzoom, I never thought they would replace it just because of the paint peeling near the buttons, is it dealer specific?
no, its not dealer specific.
Personally I would think this is a defect/bad design to begin with.
steering wheel is a part that you will have a lot of hands on contact with, every time you drive the car.
it should never be easily scratched or damaged based on normal daily use. I have driven other cars, toyota, lexus, acura, and etc.
I have never driven a car with a steering wheel that is SO easily scratched!!! I mean, there is no way to avoid it.

there was actually a thread in this forum that talked about this issue, it was last year, around feb or march.
when I call infiniti Customer care at the 800 #, they told me any dealer should be able to do replacement on it, within the warranty period.
so I went in and ask the local dealer, they told me they replace it all the time. they have no idea why the factory kept the same design all this time.
I mean, if you looked it up, the steering wheel cost close to $1000 just for the part. and the black plastic part can't be purchased on its own.
so every time you need to replace it, u need to replace the whole steering wheel.

as long you are in the warranty period, they should honor it.

lemba

Assuming they improved the wheel, especially the trim part. I have no problem with that. But why did they change the leather quality and color? This wheel looks so cheap :(

They saying that part number is same. How that possible?
Does anyone know how to find out the original part number?

flashzoom

lemba wrote:Assuming they improved the wheel, especially the trim part. I have no problem with that. But why did they change the leather quality and color? This wheel looks so cheap :(

They saying that part number is same. How that possible?
Does anyone know how to find out the original part number?
interesting.
have you call the 800 infiniti #? see if they can resolve it for you.
they are usually pretty helpful.

EibachMBZ
Car: EX35

:worthless:

lemba

infiniti_lineup, just sent you pm with my vin

flashzoom, yes I did call to Consumer Affair. They simply called the dealer and confirmed the part number. I told them "the wheel is obviously different. any way to install the original?". they replied "sorry sir. we cant do anything since part number is same. please contact manufacture".

EibachMBZ, sure I'll post some pics later today.

lemba

I compared the part number from invoice with the original one (got it from infiniti_lineup). The part number is same. OK. Take a look at the picture and match with your wheel.

1st difference:
part #1 is same color as #2. The original #2 was black color not grey.

2nd difference:
texture of #2 is same as #1. It doesn't feel like its leather. It feels like plastic or cheap leather (leatherette?)

EibachMBZ

Its it something wrong with my computer? I can't see the pic...

lemba

EibachMBZ

Yeah I see it now.
We have the same interior color and the wheel is obviously grey not black
I am not sure about the texture since I cannot feel it but the part 1 should be hard plastic and part 2 is leather with softer padding under it.

Maybe Nissan changed the supplier but keep the same part number. I don't think that 800 number or shop foreman even the service manager will do anything about it since they will just following the standard procedures. Try have them get the regional manager to the dealership and look at it.

zarar
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Probably used different material to or supplier to avoid the same issue I think as well? Does it still scratch easily and do you think there will be a difference if it were a wheat interior?

flashzoom

zarar wrote:Probably used different material to or supplier to avoid the same issue I think as well? Does it still scratch easily and do you think there will be a difference if it were a wheat interior?
well, the part that gets scrach is not the leather part.
its the plastic part where the buttons are.
its about half inch wide area.

yorker
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 with Premium & Driver Assist,
2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD Black/Black with Prem & Nav,
2005 Acura TSX

I also had my 2008 EX35's steering wheel replaced a few weeks ago in NJ (dealer offered to because paint was peeling; I hadn't even mentioned it), and immediately noticed the cheap leather as well. It's the same material as the horn portion and upper door trim, whereas I think it used to have the same soft leather as the lower door trim.

TonyaS
Car: 2008 EX35

My 2008 EX35 steering wheel paint is peeling too! I took it to the dealer and initially they were trying to say it was wear and tear. The service tech explained that rings or jewerly could have scratched the steering wheel. I explained to him that I don't wear rings and my car only has 14000 miles----I wouldn't expect this much wear and tear from an expensive car. I explained that I read on the forums that this is a common problem and the wheel is usually replaced. They agreed to first try to touch up the paint and if that didn't work they would replace the steering wheel. Well, its been a week and the touch up is peeling. I haven't had any mechanical issue with my car....but I had the roof rails replaced immediately because of chipping (I see more chipping on the side of roof rail holder) and now the steering wheel. I was hoping the touchup would work because I hear the new wheel has quality issues.....I'm hoping to keep this car for a long time.

Teknical
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD

This is a problem for Infiniti G's FX's EX's and others. They know about it and see it on tons of cars. This might not settle well with with people, but has anyone just tried scratching off all of the soft rubber coating? The plastic underneath seems hard, black and shiny. This might not look right in interiors other than black.

Avalanche325
Car: 2008 EX35
1965 427 SC Cobra (Factory Five Racing)

On mine the plastic undernieth is white. After hearing about the cheap leather, I am going to see if I can find a can of rubberized black paint and DIY.

It could be stripped, primed with etching primer and painted. If you are good with spray paint.

Does anyone knpw where that kind of paint can be found? I searched a long time ago and never found it.

bulls4ever
Car: 2008 EX35 Jouney w/ Technology Package

this is interesting. when looking for an used car, i checked several carfax reports to see what kind of problems were found and fixed by manufacturers. ddint find anything other than a few mentioned replacing steering wheel. i thought it was a common problem and id face a replacement soon. Now i understand what has happened to some cars ...

EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

I'll just add this tip here for those that are good with their hands and know what to do...
There is almost always good old-fashioned American ingenuity in the least expected of places. :dblthumb:

My boyfriend mentioned this a while back Plasti-Dip.

Some love it :bowrofl: others hate it :mad: but there is no other that compares.

Clicky-click >>>> http://www.plastidip.com/

mikey1951
Car: 2008 EX 35

Also guys: SEM dyes & paints. Hope this helps.

Noshpic
Car: Infiniti EX 35 AWD

May be will be useful to somebody. Especially if you are out of warranty.

I expect that the work will take like 30 minutes or less and the price is $30.
Going to buy this when mine will show wear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-INFINIT ... 72&vxp=mtr

and black
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-INFINIT ... 7d&vxp=mtr

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

Found it!

Here is the fix to this issue....

http://www.photo-dictionary.com/phrase/ ... ppers.html

:biggrin:

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”