Steering vibrations - 2002 Q45 165k miles

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
q45inca
Car: 2002 Q45

hi Guys, I'm running out of ideas for what is causing the steering wheel vibrations at around 60mph (2002 Q45 165k miles).

No accidents.

High quality Michelin tires, all 4 wheels balanced twice, rotated front-back, alignment done - no change.
Tires are wearing off evenly.
Recently front suspension A-arms and links to the torsion bar replaced (were clanking already) - no change.

No play in front/rear bearings.
Both front and rear wheels have slight steering play (a few mm when being rocked by hand). But I have had other cars with a similar small play and no vibration problems. In front the outer tie rods look good/good rubber, the play looks more like inner tie rods.

Can't tell where the small play in rear is coming from (which btw sits lower than 10 years ago).

Is it common to need a replacement of inner front tie rods at this mileage? Do they cause vibrations with a small play as described? What else could be going wrong? :confused:

thanks!!!

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

On the 1st gen Q45 this same vibration at about 2200rpm/60mph was caused by a worn out 3rd engine mount, AKA transmission mount.

macgiver

:gapteeth: Definately check trans mount , both L &R steering rack mounts (these need to be SOLID- not "beaten"), anything utilizing rubber as a "base mounting". Lesser extent sway - bar, link ends,etc. etc,even a sub frame rubber spacer may have disintegrated ?? Most of this rubber is not too bad of a job. Just shake in all directions vigorously to size up their integrity - can be loose in one plane only , you know. :rolleyes: Many may look fine but have unseen damage OR taken on the the consistency of a Gummy Bear compared to "New". Some replacement crap float'n out o' the bay use that cheezy soft rubber , conversely some utilize very hard inferior rubber - both bad! Beware'
My J30 @ 260kmi , some shimmy was corrected by replacing just the passenger side rack bushing , L side seemed OK , I stopped there , and that virtually eliminated ALL the noticeable shakes.Left side part was
scarce O/S , twice $$ of RT bushing , and VERY harder I believe to R&R :lolling:

Tip : IF running higher tire pressure , like 36+ psi HOT, FIRST try dropping a full 5 or 6+ psi for $Hi%%TS & grins.For effect , see any improvement ? - ya take it from there. (Flat-spotting???)

q45inca

Thanks guys, I'll check all the rubbers - so sounds like the tie rods were not causing anyone vibrations? Also I don't think I have flat spotted tires, the car is used rather regularly and the tires are overall in good condition, recently changed as well. Thanks!

macgiver

No , we can't for sure tell you that - but as you or whoever looks under the car CAN shake & manipulate those tie rod inners and outer ones along with checking the rubbers . Shouldn't have ANY AXIAL play/loosenes , you shake the hell out of the ball joint at each wheel - with wheels off ground , compare , maybe one side is significantly bad?? Gotta do this LIVE AND IN COLOR , we can't. Good luck. :cool:

q45inca

Ok thanks :)

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”