starting problems?

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
twjr_85

I had my truck running and then I shut it off and it won't start back. I have changed the starter and alternator and checked the battery. Can anyone help?

Pac. coast Datsun

Does it turn over? Are you still running points? Is there gas in your tank? Let us know exactly whats going on & we can help. I had similar problems w/ my L 18 in my 74 620.

twjr_85

no it doesn't turn over and yes I still have points. Mine is a 1974 that originally had an L18 but I put a L20 from a 1977 in it. I tried starting it and it wouldn't run very long so I put some gas in and turn the distributor and it started running fine and then I shut it off to make sure it would start with the distributor turned the way it was and I got nothing no turning over no clicking so I assumed it was something electrical so I put a tester on the battery and my connections to my starter everything was fine except I'm not getting power to my ignition switch and I don'y know why. I am supposed to have power coming to the switch right?

THIS WAS THE ORIGINAL ENGINE

Farmer Joe

youd better put a socket and breaker bar on the front of that motor and see if itll turn over by hand. hope you didnt lock up you motor...

twjr_85

I just rebuilt the motor it is'nt locked up. My dad drove one of these trucks all my life and I'm 21 now. I think he had it before me actually. That's the main reason I bought the truck 'cause I grew up ridin in it and I actually learned to drive in his. Luckily he knew exactly what it was he put a tester on it and sure enough the fusible link was melted inside where the fuse makes contact. I changed it out and it started right up. Bad part is the second one burnt up too. I'm gonna get a heavier duty one tomorrow. Thanks for the help

Return to “Datsun 620”