Spring rates

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
michael h
Car: 96 240sx s14

Ok I'm new to the s14 and so I would like to get some advice on what spring rates to run on the front and rear. I have three years of auto x experiance I drive a civic hatch with a gsr swap in smf. On my civic I run 450lb up front and 550lb rear and it does quite well I place 2nd in my region (atlanta).
My s14 is stock motor wise and plan to keep it like that till I get suspension the way I'd like it to feel. As far as the suspension I have just replaced the rear subframe bushings with solid rubber and have a set of koni yellows that I will install once I get the springs. I plan on getting the Ground control coil over set up and this is where my question is what spring rate do I get. I've seen on several posts that people with 240's put a heavier spring rate up front and a lesser rate in the rear. Why? any and all suggetions are welcome .

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

On my 86, I run 700 lbs in front and 600 lbs in the rear. I also dont run a sway bar in front. To run a spring rate above 600, you'll need to have your koni's revalved (which I'd recommend anyway).

sr20goofus

Heavier in the front being a RWD car, you want the rear to be able to move a little more to compensate for torque and squat, it helps with traction.

Most coil over kits come with a 8k/6k setup with springs, which i believe is around 450lb/350lb front rear setup. As the car gains power and downforce the spring rates should also increase at the same rate. For roadracing i want a 12k/10k setup which is 670/550lbs, but my car also has around 300whp and I have a good bit of experience with it. Dont aim strait for ideal setup, go with something softer and then change the springs out after a few events so you can feel the difference and learn the car better.

michael h
Car: 96 240sx s14

Thanks for the insight guy's. I'll probably go with a 500f 400r set up to start out with and add an adjustable sway bar in the rear to give my self the option to stiffen up the rear if needed.

sr20goofus

dont worry abotu the rear sway bar, upgrade the front more than anything. Too much rear bar reduces squat and you loose all kinds of traction. just do the front to reduce roll.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”