Speedometer Issues (Questions + Issue/Inspection Codes/Diagnosis)

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
cheerwine
Car: Nissan Maxima 1999

Hello.

Current Car status :
Car : 1999 Nissan Maxima
My car is running on 80K+ miles. I've recently had an issue with my speedometer. It only happens when the car seems to be running for a long time, if there's hot weather, or if I have my foot on the brake for a long time.

If I drove my car about 7 days a week, the issue would occur about 1-2 times.

My speedometer would fluctuate to an inaccurate reading and I would need to bang on the dash to get it back to normal for the rest of the ride. My check engine light is on.

I've done some research and found out the cluster could be the (one hidden) issue.

I recently got an inspection , and failed the emissions portion and got these error codes:
P0500 P0325 P0105

Going on Repair Pal and doing a diagnostic test , it came back with this
Your issue is severe and you should avoid driving your vehicle.
How long? Several months or more
Blinking light? No
Car overheating? No
How is the car driving? Something else is wrong

Diagnostic Trouble Codes
P0500 The Vehicle Speed Sensor tells the engine control module (PCM) how fast the vehicle is going. This information is sent to the speedometer where the road speed is displayed in miles per hour or kilometers per hour. In addition, this information is usually shared with other vehicle systems such as the Transmission, ABS, Traction Control and Power Steering. When the PCM detects an inaccurate or irrational reading, it will set code P0500.

P0325 The knock sensor tells the engine control module (PCM) that the engine has an excessive vibration resulting from an incorrect fuel and air mixture. If the PCM does not receive a signal from the knock sensor, it will set P0325. The check engine light may or may not be illuminated.
Repair Recommendations
Knock Sensor Replacement

P0105 (severe) The Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor/Barometric Pressure Sensor measures the rise and fall of the air pressure inside the Intake Manifold. The engine control module (PCM) uses this information to determine how much fuel to use to keep the engine running properly. When the PCM detects a problem with this sensor or the circuit for the sensor, it will set code P0105.
Repair Recommendations
MAP Sensor Replacement
Timing Belt Replacement

Most common repairs for your situation:
Ignition Coil Replacement$294 - $432
Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement$225 - $340
Oxygen Sensor Replacement$344 - $544

Mechanic's next steps
A. Connect a scan tool to read the diagnostic information stored in the engine computer
B. Reference technical information from the car manufacturer to see if this is a common issue with known fixes
C. Use the information provided to determine what systems to inspect and test
D. Perform visual inspections, electronic circuit tests, engine performance and/or computer sensor output tests, and more
E. Document tests results and other findings, provide their recommendations along with an estimate for repairs.
So in all, I'm wondering what is most likely that I need to replace if my speedometer isn't really acting up but in certain instances? It's fine majority of the time. What should I look into replacing? The car is valued at around 2k if I were to sell it so...I'm trying to not spend entirely so much money.What repair would most likely eliminate all those other errors?

Thanks

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Lots of diagnoses still needed....

Vacuum leaks, dirty MAF sensor, bad ground, failing relays, and a bad knock sensor would be the first things I'd look into.

A shop is going to throw parts at it. If you don't have someone to spend some time on it, you could be in for a hefty (and unnecessary) bill.

Are you handy with a wrench, or have a helper who is?

cheerwine
Car: Nissan Maxima 1999

AZhitman wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06 pm
Lots of diagnoses still needed....

Vacuum leaks, dirty MAF sensor, bad ground, failing relays, and a bad knock sensor would be the first things I'd look into.

A shop is going to throw parts at it. If you don't have someone to spend some time on it, you could be in for a hefty (and unnecessary) bill.

Are you handy with a wrench, or have a helper who is?
I've never worked on a car before , but if those things are easy to check I can probably look it up and do it. Other than that I'd have to rely on a mechanic to see what they can do for it.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”