Spare wheels for Z32 calipers

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

My wife and I love to travel and we love taking road trips. Safety and reliability are essential, but space is always limited. So when it comes to traveling with a spare, I've been running with a full-size wheel to clear my Z32 calipers. Well, this summer, we're going to be making a 2-week, 4,000 mile road trip with the car and I want to run a space-saver spare.

If this topic has been covered before, I apologize. I could not turn over the information I was looking for so I decided to start my own thread.

Currently, my S14 is surrounded by at least 4' of snow and I can't get to the thing. I've been trying to figure out whether or not the S14 spare wheel will clear the Z32 calipers. I keep getting mixed information from the wide world of webs about whether or not it will fit. I am wondering if anyone here can confirm either way. If not, once spring gets here, I'm going to check for myself.

Obviously, the Z32 spare will fit. I could probably find one, but I don't want to spend the time and money.

I have an FC RX-7 spare in my collection of parts. The FC has the same front calipers as the Z32, so I'm confident that wheel would clear. However, the Mazda center bore is slightly larger than that of the Nissan, so it may require a hub-centric ring to fit perfeclyt. Then again, it's a spare that shouldn't be left on for long so it would probably get the job done.

The Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 also uses the same front calipers as the FC and Z32, so I'm confident those spares would also clear. Again, the center bore is going to be slightly bigger than the Nissan. In fact, most 5-lug Mazda and Mitsubishi wheels have the same center bore. I do not have a spare from a 3kgt vr4 to test.

DISCLAIMER: I have stated that the Z32, FC RX-7, and 3kGT VR4 all use the same front calipers. They are not exactly the same. They are all manufactured by Sumitomo and have the same 4-piston layout, but they have different mounting orientations to fit their respective vehicles. I don't want you to think that they are interchangeable.

With either Mazda or Mitsubishi, the center bore is 67.1mm and the Nissan has a 66.1mm center bore. I have found that the hub-centric ring for this is available though various online sources if you REALLY wanted to run it.

Z Style
Car: 93 240sx Roadster
01 Pathfinder Overland
97 F350 Powerstroke
88 RX-7 SR20DET Swapped
14 Star Bolt

Wait... There is a spare for the SR-7? How many are there, is there two that I can run as skinnies?

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Technically, it came from the other FC, but yes, there is one. I was going to track down three more and use them for winter tires on the rally Colt, but that's staying four-lug now.You can take it. You'd just need to find another one. You know it's an Enkei alloy, right?

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

FC RX7 wheels will NOT fit. I ordered hub centric rings for it and discovered that the centerbore is actually significantly smaller. I must have looked up bad info or read the wrong line on the chart. After I pulled the wheel out, I saw right away that it had a smaller bore.

I sure wish I could go back and edit my first post here... *ahem* mods...

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

The factory S14 space saver spare indeed clears the Z32 calipers.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”