*Solved* Car barely moving after transmission fluid change

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
2010MaximaOwner
Car: 2010 Nissan Maxima SV

Hi everyone, I just wanted to post this incident with the eventual solution as I did not find it specifically mentioned for Maxima's.

So I did a drain and fill on my 150,000 2010 Maxima SV, using Idetisu DS-2 fluid and replaced both the in-line cooler filter (mounted to the side of the transmission behind the driver side wheel) and the internal screen filter (located just inside and above the transmission oil pan on the bottom drivers side). I used an OEM part from the dealership for the inline filter but used a aftermarket parts kit for the screen filter. Specifically it was a Duralast Automatic Transmission Filter TF633 from Autozone. Upon completing the filter and fluid change, I was dismayed to find that the vehicle would not move at any more than a creep, but would rev fine in neutral and park. In addition in gear the RPMs would not go above about 2000, and it was not consistent, almost like it was surging. Weirdest of all, the engine would randomly begin revving up uncontrollably while in park or neutral and only stopping when the ignition was turned off. Almost like it was working harder to build up pressure. I was freaked out, thinking I had destroyed my transmission and was about to call the tow truck. However, after messing around, I drained the fluid again and replaced the internal screen filter with the OEM one I had removed. This solved the problem and the car works fine after the fill.

When I inspected the aftermarket part, it turns out that the "flute" or funnel on the bottom of the filter that the fluid travels through was much longer than the OEM version. It was pressing against the bottom of the pan and restricting the flow of fluid inside the transmission. This was causing a loss of pressure and making the transmission unable to engage except intermittently. So I will make sure to check the specs of any after market part before installation. It also turns out that the professional techs do not actually replace the OEM filter when they do a fluid change and instead just take it off, spray it off with air and replace it.

TL;DR Car not moving after transmission fluid change, check the length of aftermarket filters before installation.

00pathyse
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Sedan

Good info, thanks.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

So the problem was the after market part.
Interesting.
Thank you for posting this for us,.
This may be relevant to many other owners of Nissan transmissions. :)

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”